PDX CC-E extended by 6 gates for Southwest

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:04 am

http://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/PDXaminer_9_2016.pdf
Alleviate the current imbalance of passengers being
served on the south side of the PDX terminal. Enhance
operational efficiencies. Improve the level of service
throughout the terminal. These are the primary
objectives of PDX’s Terminal Balancing project, which
will position the terminal to meet the needs of the future.
The recently approved project will design, plan and
build a 6-gate, 750-foot extension to Concourse E
on the north side of the terminal. This construction
project will add needed gate capacity and allow airline
movements in order to balance the terminal. Southwest
Airlines will move from Concourse C to the newly
constructed concourse extension on Concourse E.
United Airlines will remain in place on Concourse E.
Over the next several months, the Terminal Balancing
project team will continue to plan and design the
project; the anticipated start of impactful construction
is mid- to late-2017 with significant completion in early
2020. If you have questions about the project, contact
Willie Wilcoxen at 503.415.6554.

Rendering on page 3.................

red66mustang

Re: PDX CC-E extended by 6 gates for Southwest

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:14 am

Makes sense over the proposal a few months ago that would have had Alaska move. I hope with the extension they will make E feel a little wider, current layout all the E gates feel so cramped upstairs especially with the moving walkways (that are unnecessary in this part of the airport) and concessions taking up some of the walkway real estate.

Prost

Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:35 am

Imagine a port authority building gate space before everything is bursting at the seams.

chrisair

Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:27 am

Well that sure changed...last I heard from a couple friends at AS they were still moving to E. Guess that changed. Hopefully they're able to fix up A. Don't mind boarding E75s via stairs (even in January!), but they've got to renovate it down there.

Hope they're able to expand the Board Room on C. The lounge they were going to open in E looked really nice.

DBun

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:09 pm

red66mustang wrote:
Makes sense over the proposal a few months ago that would have had Alaska move. I hope with the extension they will make E feel a little wider, current layout all the E gates feel so cramped upstairs especially with the moving walkways (that are unnecessary in this part of the airport) and concessions taking up some of the walkway real estate.

With the extension those Travelators will become necessary to move WN passengers past the UA gates. I agree that the current E feels a bit narrow and cramped, however according to the diagram in the link posted, the extension looks to be a bit wider (possibly by a third). This doesn't solve the issue of the existing E gates being cramped, but since UA flies less than they did a few years ago (They used to fly dc-10s out of those gates) its less of a problem.

flyoregon

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:31 pm

Anybody else notice that Virgin America was left off of the map? Obviously due to the pending Alaska/Virgin merger.

cschleic

Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:09 pm

This makes a lot more sense that the previous plan. E just didn't seem big enough for all the AS and QX flights, even with a modest expansion.

Yes, E is tight, but it's hemmed in by planes on one side and the roadway and garage on the other.

chrisair

Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:51 pm

DBun wrote:
With the extension those Travelators will become necessary to move WN passengers past the UA gates. I agree that the current E feels a bit narrow and cramped, however according to the diagram in the link posted, the extension looks to be a bit wider (possibly by a third). This doesn't solve the issue of the existing E gates being cramped, but since UA flies less than they did a few years ago (They used to fly dc-10s out of those gates) its less of a problem.

The original plan called for moving everything upstairs and putting all the gates/boarding areas downstairs. Similar to BWI's A gates. That'd open up a lot of space down by the gates and make it a lot more airy than putting everything on the same level. Not sure what the new plan calls for though.

wedgetail737

Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:28 pm

With WN moving to Concourse E, that could give AS more gates for expansion in C.

lhpdx
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:36 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
With WN moving to Concourse E, that could give AS more gates for expansion in C.

I think that's the main reason for moving SW to the extended E freeing up quite a few on CC-C for AS future expansion at PDX...........

SWPDXSpotter

Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:28 pm

I noticed that, in addition to VX being missing, KS and K5 are missing from the map as well. (I know K5 is essentially dead in PDX with PDT wanting them out, but they're still using Concourse B for flights at the moment.)

I think this terminal rebalancing plan is going to work better than the originally proposed one for AS. (as an AS frequent flier living in Portland, this makes me happy :D ) On the south side, AS can grow their E175 operation into the main jetways. (I remember reading an article quoting Brad Tilden that "(he) can see PDX being a good place for E175s.") It'll be interesting to see how Concourse A ends up looking with QX's Q400 fleet shrinking over the next few years.

One thing the port will have to change is the restaurant setup. Most of the fantastic new restaurants are on the south side, so they would need to either move or open some more restaurants on the north side. I can see passengers complaining about that, even though PDX has one of the best post-security amenities in the country. (street pricing, plenty of choice, and actually tastes good...don't get me started on how bad LAX has become!)
Soli Deo Gloria

142, 143, 319, 320, 321, 346, 712, 733, 734, 737, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 763, 772, ATP, ATR, CR2, CR7, CR9, D38, DH4, D10, EM2, ERD, ER4, E70, M83, M90

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos