BestWestern

Re: Irish 11/16: oh, the places we'll go!

Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:36 pm

Rumours from China that Tourism Ireland and CITS have signed an LOI for eight 330 charters to Ireland next year from Hangzhou, operated by China Eastern, operating for July and August every five days.

What is surprising is that this may operate to Belfast because of bilateral issues regarding Dublin. I thought that the bilateral was recently revised?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

JAmie2k9

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:59 pm

BestWestern wrote:
Rumours from China that Tourism Ireland and CITS have signed an LOI for eight 330 charters to Ireland next year from Hangzhou, operated by China Eastern, operating for July and August every five days.

What is surprising is that this may operate to Belfast because of bilateral issues regarding Dublin. I thought that the bilateral was recently revised?

We have one in place however it mentions scheduled operations which could perhaps be the problem. This is going back a few years but surly they can just open up reservations and just block book to get around it if it was the problem.

I'm sure others may have up to date information but I cannot see what issues would force them to use Belfast over Dublin.

SuperSix2

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi folks

I see what looks like scaffolding around the old control tower above the original terminal. Any idea what's happening there? Also what use are the old control towers these days or are they used in some way?

Cheers

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:30 pm

SuperSix2 wrote:
Hi folks

I see what looks like scaffolding around the old control tower above the original terminal. Any idea what's happening there? Also what use are the old control towers these days or are they used in some way?

Cheers

I had understood that this old tower was being used for airport meteorological services?

Good to hear about the proposed Chinese services, but really hope they will go to DUB, not BFS!

OA260

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:12 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
I had a recent flight on I2. Quite what is LCC about I2 I'm not so sure. Presumably the crews T&Cs.

Got it in one it was so that they could offer new contracts and offer lower pay. I often find the IBX crews nicer then the older legacy crews on IB mainline although I never really have a problem with them either but they are from an IB of older days. They are certainly on par or even better then BA IMHO.

TUGMASTER

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Yep... Have to agree about the I2 crews...
Very pleasant..... Also the VY crews we had on the outbound were fantastic too...

On a side note... What the difference between I2 and VY....?
They are both LCC inc the crews...So..?
And
All the money goes into the same pot

JAmie2k9

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:51 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
Very pleasant..... Also the VY crews we had on the outbound were fantastic too...

And

VY more LCC than IZ in terms of cost and service. Also IAG didn't have control of VY when IZ was founded.

JAmie2k9

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:53 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
I had a recent flight on I2. Quite what is LCC about I2 I'm not so sure. Presumably the crews T&Cs. The new IB/I2 livery is smart. The flight was bang on-time departing (MAD-MAN) and early arriving. The cabin was comfortable with standard IB grey/brown Recaro slim(ish)-line seats, but overall not as fresh as the FR cabin on the outbound. Overall though, a very good product. The crews seemed young and enthuastic - especially given that customer service in Spain isn't typically especially attentive.

Speaking of IAG airlines, has anyone been on the BA Cityflyer service operated for EI?

Know a few who went down to Nice and were quiet happy. I would expect it to return next year again if EI don't get extra short haul capacity. Also saw no complaints on social media about it. There is a video on YouTube by someone who did a trip report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfkBx51EN2Y
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OA260

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:58 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:

And

VY are more LCC where as the LCC that IBX are does not seem to filter down as much in terms of the product. The IBX J Class product is pretty good too. VY have had another Summer of complaints and delayed flights. They have a bad reputation with a lot of people.

nu

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:51 am

So my uncle has now booked 6 monthly returns from Dub to Hartford. However he cannot join a frequent flyer scheme as it's just closed. Seriously? Would it make any difference to retain boarding cards for retrospective crediting or is that too sophisticated for EI to get their heads around? Thank you
Aer Maighdean abu

ClassicLover

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:15 pm

nu wrote:
So my uncle has now booked 6 monthly returns from Dub to Hartford. However he cannot join a frequent flyer scheme as it's just closed. Seriously? Would it make any difference to retain boarding cards for retrospective crediting or is that too sophisticated for EI to get their heads around? Thank you

That's a bit surprising if Gold Circle is closed to new applications considering Aer Club continues to be delayed. He should keep copies of the e-tickets, boarding passes and any communication from EI stating he is unable to join Gold Circle. I'd write to EI and ask, just so there is a copy of an e-mail saying no which proves he tried to join but could not.

Presumably confronted with all that paperwork when Aer Club does open, they would retrospectively credit them as a goodwill gesture. They may not, but having all the ducks in a row here will probably give you the best chance.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

JAmie2k9

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Gold Circle has been closed for months, I tried to join a few months ago.

I'm told that AerClub should finally be launched by year end

OA260

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:38 am

The Executive is to provide up to £7 million to help the struggling City of Derry Airport.

In a joint statement the First and Deputy First Ministers said the funding would help secure the future of the facility.
The announcement comes after the airport's main carrier, low budget airline Ryanair, said it was axing flights to London and cutting the number of services to Liverpool.

First Minister Arlene Foster said: "This £7 million package ensures the airport remains a key gateway to the north west for business and leisure travel."
The airport, which is owned by Derry and Strabane District Council, is currently operating at a loss of £2.145 million a year.
The Executive's financial package includes £2.5 million for route development support and a £4.5 million contribution for capital investment.
Martin McGuinness, a native of the city, said: "Connectivity is a prerequisite for economic development, which made this £7 million investment in the City of Derry Airport vital.
"This £7 million package will enable the City of Derry Airport to invest in route development and capital projects which will create high-value jobs and training opportunities. I have been actively engaged in discussions with the City of Derry Airport and the local council for a number of weeks.
"With Ryanair's withdrawal, having another airline in place is vital for our economic development and I am pleased discussions are at an advanced stage.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busin ... 59329.html

---

€1.3 million announced for Knock airport
A FUNDING allocation of €1,314,000 has been announced for Ireland West Airport Knock by Minister for Transport, Tourism, and Sport, Shane Ross, under the Regional Airports Programme 2015-2019.

The funding is awarded as part of the capital expenditure scheme (CAPEX) for 2016 and provides 75% grant aid to Knock airport.
It will allow the airport to undertake various safety and security projects, such as runway lighting, drainage, CCTV runway protection, generator housing, and the upgrade of existing equipment at the airport.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundu ... k-airport/

OA260

Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:36 pm

Good to see Area 14 back in use.

Dublin Airport’s Terminal l to undergo €10m upgrade

Departures floor to be replaced as part of project to modernise area

The departures floor in Dublin Airport’s Terminal l is to be replaced as part of the €10 million upgrade project.

Parts of the floor have been upgraded several times over the past four decades but in some areas the original tiling laid when the building opened in 1972 is still in place.

Other improvements to the departures floor include new wooden and tile fascia around the walls and the removal of ticket desks to create more light and space.

The airport said the project was part of an overall programme to modernise Terminal 1 and “enhance the overall passenger experience”.

Dublin Airport managing director Vincent Harrison said this final piece of work will see a “significant improvement” in the departures area. “Terminal 1 is 44 years old and has welcomed over 400 million passengers during that time,” he said.

“This new, brighter floor tile will significantly improve the look and feel of the departures area.

“With the arrivals hall upgrade well under way, our goal is to create a greatly enhanced passenger experience for all our customers travelling through Terminal 1,” he added.

The departures floor upgrade project will involve the phased temporary closure of airline check-in desks, with some check-in facilities being moved for a time to check-in area 14, which is located in the lower ground floor of T1 below the arrivals hall.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.2796748

ClassicLover

Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:21 pm

OA260 wrote:
The Executive is to provide up to £7 million to help the struggling City of Derry Airport.

In a joint statement the First and Deputy First Ministers said the funding would help secure the future of the facility.
The announcement comes after the airport's main carrier, low budget airline Ryanair, said it was axing flights to London and cutting the number of services to Liverpool.

---

A FUNDING allocation of €1,314,000 has been announced for Ireland West Airport Knock by Minister for Transport, Tourism, and Sport, Shane Ross, under the Regional Airports Programme 2015-2019.

The funding is awarded as part of the capital expenditure scheme (CAPEX) for 2016 and provides 75% grant aid to Knock airport.
It will allow the airport to undertake various safety and security projects, such as runway lighting, drainage, CCTV runway protection, generator housing, and the upgrade of existing equipment at the airport

Sounds to me like a massive waste of money for Derry if flights are being reduced. Losing 2.5 million a year is quite a huge amount of money so the £7 million won't last too long.

JAmie2k9

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:00 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

---

It will allow the airport to undertake various safety and security projects, such as runway lighting, drainage, CCTV runway protection, generator housing, and the upgrade of existing equipment at the airport

Sounds to me like a massive waste of money for Derry if flights are being reduced. Losing 2.5 million a year is quite a huge amount of money so the £7 million won't last too long.

It is and it isn't but closing it would never happen either. They need a sustainable service to London that's useful but competitively priced and numbers will grow. The Ryanair times were not great such as leaving London at 06.30 in the mornings. In the height of the recession in 2011 they managed over 400,000 passengers only higher during 2007/8 however have lost of 110,000 since then.

FR were always going to pull out once they arrived in Belfast and the very soft LGW fares wouldn't of helped LDY.
_______

EI have now loaded IAD for January/February/March after announcing it and then removing it,

OA260

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:56 pm

Ryanair Launches Belfast S 2017 Schedule 11 Summer Routes & 10% Growth To 1.1m

Ryanair, Europe’s No. 1 airline, today (20 Sept) launched its Belfast summer 2017 schedule, with 11 routes including Berlin, London and Milan, which will deliver 1.1m customers p.a. and support over 800* jobs at Belfast International Airport.

Ryanair’s summer 2017 schedule will also see more frequencies to sun destinations for family holidays, lower fares (as Ryanair passes on lower fuel costs), an even better customer experience as it rolls out year 3 of its “Always Getting Better” customer experience programme, and will deliver:

3 based aircraft
10 new S17 routes including Lanzarote (2 wkly), Malaga (5 wkly), Tenerife (2 wkly) & Warsaw (2 wkly)
11 routes in total including London Gatwick (4 daily)
1.1m customers p.a.
Over 800* “on-site” jobs p.a.

In Belfast, Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary said:

“We are pleased to launch our Belfast summer 2017 schedule, which includes 10 new summer routes and our 4 times daily service to London Gatwick, which will deliver 10% growth to 1.1m customers p.a. and support over 800 jobs at Belfast Airport.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/ ... ?market=en

RRTrent

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:16 am

I haven't seen the below posted yet, but worth the discussion.

"Cabinet has agreed to put out to tender a contract for independent consultants to review the air traffic congestion at Dublin Airport which has risen significantly. The airport hit a record 25 million passengers last year and looks set to reach 27m this year. The review will include the possibility of a third terminal"

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0920/817931 ... rt-review/

dstc47

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:26 am

"independent consultants"

Yet a further excuse to delay building a second parallel runway and to appear to be going both ways at the same time!

OA260

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:00 am

Government starts assessing Aran Islands air service tenders
Department exploring interim options as current contract expires in 10 days
The Department of the Gaeltacht has started assessing tenders for the provision of an air service to the Aran Islands.

The deadline for receipt of tenders was pushed back a number of times this year but finally expired on Friday.

Aer Arann Islands has operated the service for more than 40 years but the current contract for provision of an air service for the islands will cease on September 30th, raising question as to what form of service will be offered after that date.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... -1.2798089

RRTrent

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:21 am

dstc47 wrote:
"independent consultants"

Don't worry, they'll only charge 85.4% of the new runways budget and give a 2 page hand written report in 18 years time stating that a new runway should have been built in 2017.

iRISH251

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:20 pm

The actual statement is more informative and includes this sentence from the Minister: "If we are to avoid lengthy delays for passengers, construction of the new runway will need to start within a few months if it is to be commissioned as planned by 2020."

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2016 ... management

OA260

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:15 pm

KLM are really going to give EI a run for their money.

ClassicLover

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:19 pm

OA260 wrote:

They're very good prices! I might give them a go - I usually visit the Netherlands once a year for an event so I might do this instead.

Dublin probably will need a third terminal and once the second runway is built it is going to be needed. I would say it would make sense to have it midfield, right?

OA260

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:50 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
OA260 wrote:

They're very good prices! I might give them a go - I usually visit the Netherlands once a year for an event so I might do this instead.

Dublin probably will need a third terminal and once the second runway is built it is going to be needed. I would say it would make sense to have it midfield, right?

A few of my mates have booked on the inaugural but sadly I cant make it as it clashes with my own trip. Great to see another E Jet operator in DUB and I will no doubt be on it sometime over the Winter. Some great fares and connections. It has been a while since I flew KLM so really look forward to trying them. Also would like to get on the BHD one. Maybe a BHD-AMS-DUB :) Sure its the most logical way for an Anetter to get between Belfast and Dublin ;)

shamrock604

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:31 pm

OA260 wrote:

Have KL increased to 4 flights per day??? I thought it was just two returns a day.

shamrock604

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:34 pm

shamrock604 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Have KL increased to 4 flights per day??? I thought it was just two returns a day.

To answer my own question - yes they are! From the next summer schedule, KL are 4 per day - but EI stay at 4 per day, 5th daily is gone.

OA260

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:57 pm

shamrock604 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Yes initially it was to be 2 but they realised 4 would be needed to fully maximise the connections to various markets. Seems they are really serious about going head to head with EI and as some suspected they prefer them on their own metal rather then give it to a pending OW carrier/IAG. KLM coming really gives ST a boost in Ireland. Going forward I would expect AF to do the same in future. The KLM / EI agreement worked very well for both parties over the years but aviation is a funny game, todays partners are tomorrows rivals. It certain is great to see even more variety of tails and types at DUB.
I heard the local KLM Reps will market the route throughout the trade and business travellers over the coming weeks. Also an Ad campaign will be launched. I noticed SN Brussels advertising the BHD-BRU route on a bus last week. Most likely KLM will do the same in Dublin although maybe choose Air Coach as Dublin Bus do not get out and about much on the roads these days ;)

shamrock604

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:07 pm

OA260 wrote:
shamrock604 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Yes initially it was to be 2 but they realised 4 would be needed to fully maximise the connections to various markets. Seems they are really serious about going head to head with EI and as some suspected they prefer them on their own metal rather then give it to a pending OW carrier/IAG. KLM coming really gives ST a boost in Ireland. Going forward I would expect AF to do the same in future. The KLM / EI agreement worked very well for both parties over the years but aviation is a funny game, todays partners are tomorrows rivals. It certain is great to see even more variety of tails and types at DUB.
I heard the local KLM Reps will market the route throughout the trade and business travellers over the coming weeks. Also an Ad campaign will be launched. I noticed SN Brussels advertising the BHD-BRU route on a bus last week. Most likely KLM will do the same in Dublin although maybe choose Air Coach as Dublin Bus do not get out and about much on the roads these days ;)

The cynic in me actually says this is a combined EI/KL assault on FR!

Those close relationships don't just go away, -'d lets face it, KL have an interest in keeping FR out of Schiphol.

eicvd

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:32 pm

OA260 wrote:
shamrock604 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Every second Dublin Bus that passes me does advertise KLM funnily enough.
COYBIB

JAmie2k9

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:04 pm

DL will be a big winner with KLM back, as they cut transfers via AMS using EI not so long ago. We shall see if EI bring back some of the fifth daily for summer 17 following it's return in November.

EI are strong for T/A connections ex AMS so with a wider choice of new routes on offer it should soften the blow somewhat.

OA260

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:23 pm

eicvd wrote:

Every second Dublin Bus that passes me does advertise KLM funnily enough.[/quote]

Good to see they have started already.

eicvd

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:48 pm

OA260 wrote:
eicvd wrote:

Every second Dublin Bus that passes me does advertise KLM funnily enough.

Good to see they have started already.[/quote]

The advertisements are pretty much straight to the point too, 'Fly with KLM to Amsterdam, South Africa, Havana' etc.
COYBIB

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:01 pm

http://avherald.com/h?article=49e57edd&opt=0

AAIU looking into a serious incident at Carrickfinn, involving EI-CBK, where the aircraft temporarily left the paved surface. (The AAIU is treating it as a "serious incident").

I was just reading a thread, currently running, about the prospect of WN flying transatlantic; some suspect that the airline put the idea out there as part of contract negotiations, but it does raise an interesting prospect. We've heard also that B6 wants to do, as does Norwegian (eventually - although they already fly 787s t/a) and of course, a carrier closer to home.

What are people's views about this, not just whether WN does or does not, but how it could affect Ireland. Personally, I see it as a highly positive prospect. We know that 757s are being used by all major US t/a carriers and all have used them to serve Ireland. The (relatively) limited range of such aircraft means that Ireland will be slap, bang in the middle of a large new potential market. We've already seen DUB linked to BDL, but I think there are several other US cities (DTW, CVG, PIT, RDU among others) which could see links and with hard selling from airports, many new markets could be opened from Ireland - not just DUB, but ORK as well. With a multiplicity of airlines, carriers will have to experiment with new city pairs and of course, the competition should result in Ireland being much more competitively accessible. Throw in customs and immigration facilities at DUB and SNN, and flying from an east coast airport to DUB will be as easy and stress free as flying to LAX, SFO etc

The first challenge is to be aware of the potential; next is to work out how we reel in the carriers likely to do this.

al2637

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:54 am

KLM increase much welcome on AMS-DUB. For the first time in living memory, it makes it possible to do a business trip to Dublin and get there before 11am :) KLM should clean up on the business traffic from the AMS side.

Not sue EI will be able to sustain x4 a day. A lot of that was transfer traffic (to KLM), which will start to dry up, and with FR taking a big share of the OD market too.

Maybe it's time EI overnighted an aircraft in AMS to compete!

OA260

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:44 am

al2637 wrote:
. A lot of that was transfer traffic (to KLM), which will start to dry up, and with FR taking a big share of the OD market too.

The EI-KL feed looks like its ending next March so the codeshare will be gone.

JAmie2k9

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:18 am

If it ends, suspect we may see them move into Cork as well and DUB will gain some mainline equip.

IrishTexan

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Found some recent video of MOL sharing many opinions in his own style at the creative minds series at the U.S. embassy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zOztyJS_uc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcTX1cuamiI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEO04zhCk7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ytmFxB1ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7wWpStTgrM
Tried, but could not find, a video of the entire event.

cc47

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:51 am

Sorry about my lack of posts here recently, I reached out to KLM on Twitter asking would they ever consider Cork flights and I got a response "You never know", Exciting Times!

JAmie2k9

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:10 pm

IrishTexan wrote:
Found some recent video of MOL sharing many opinions in his own style at the creative minds series at the U.S. embassy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zOztyJS_uc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcTX1cuamiI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEO04zhCk7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ytmFxB1ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7wWpStTgrM
Tried, but could not find, a video of the entire event.

In the last link MOL still spouting the lies that T2 cost 1.2 billion. As for the ATR comments if it's such a bad product why did FR have to dump capacity on lots of routes they moved onto when they were planning to cut it.....

Cipango

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:47 pm

cc47 wrote:
Sorry about my lack of posts here recently, I reached out to KLM on Twitter asking would they ever consider Cork flights and I got a response "You never know", Exciting Times!

However, the social media/marketing employee is probably not informed of all route plans/developments until it is announced and loaded on to the GDS.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Cipango

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:00 am

Apparently a ground vehicle struck the engine cowling of a ET 787 this morning.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

eicvd

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Cipango wrote:
Apparently a ground vehicle struck the engine cowling of a ET 787 this morning.

It departed about an hour ago so can't have been too badly damaged.
COYBIB

BrianDromey

Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:28 am

A poster on another forum has uncovered some interesting statistics about onward connections from EI in 2014.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attachme ... 1474900634

Unsurprisingly BA Still have huge feed into/out of the EI network (and in reality even more when their own DUBLHR route is considered) 100-200k annually.
VS follow, 80-100k
UA, KL and, wait for it, MH are all roughly equal 60-80k
AC and B6 are next
AA, US, DL, CX all around 20k each.

MH is an abvious surprise and probably reflects some of the very keen pricing MH offer to Asia, even before the brand was tarnished. That said the product is good, they are oneworld members and the network within Malaysia and onwards within AESAN is strong.
Strong connections to US at BOS and LHR are surprising - despite US not being a partner of note, but probably reflect the Irish commercial and community connections throughout the US northeast, a traditionally strong market for US (now AA, of course). Clearly AA is likely mop up most of the UA (LHR, ORD) traffic once EI join the one world JV.
Clearly oneworld is likely to work well for EI, with unmatched coverage into the US northeast and strong coverage to Asia and Oceania. In context of these figures the continued interest in the A350-900 makes more sense. A direct flight to SIN/KUL or maybe even HKG does have a chance of working. I'm not so sure about mainland china. Unless they are all coming on BA or FR there doesn't seem to be huge volume.

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:32 am

BrianDromey wrote:
. A direct flight to SIN/KUL or maybe even HKG does have a chance of working. I'm not so sure about mainland china. Unless they are all coming on BA or FR there doesn't seem to be huge volume.

Interesting, on the subject of China, Ireland and China have signed a new accord aimed at establishing a new route, although it seemed to be hinted quite strongly in this article that a Chinese carrier was preferred to Aer Lingus.

Frankly, I don't see any prospect of EI heading east.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... nk-429747/

OA260

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:46 am

BrianDromey wrote:
UA, KL and, wait for it, MH are all roughly equal 60-80k
AC and B6 are next

We discussed some of the expected figures over a year ago on these threads and BA VS KL stats were mentioned and no surprise. MH no surprise either as they often are the cheapest DUB-OZ and when the likes of EK EY are full you can usually find O/Q class. Ironically SQ are one of the cheapest out of the Asian airlines currently and they allow connections on EI to connect via LHR/MAN/CDG/FRA/AMS/ZRH.

Going forward over the next 18 months we will see the AC KL figures drop as one would expect.

OA260

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:20 am

Man found with ear sliced off at Dublin Airport this morning

A man had his ear sliced off and thrown on the ground at Dublin Airport.

The horrific attack is believed to have been carried out by a criminal gang over a drugs debt.

The victim from Ballymun was thought to have been abducted by a gang before being attacked.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/national/ ... ailsignout

---

Norwegian Airlines committed to Cork

THE announcement by Norwegian Airlines of Cork to Boston flights for as little as €62 is an encouraging sign of their commitment to the route, the County Mayor Seamus McGrath has said.

Despite ongoing difficulties in securing a license to operate the routes, Norwegian has confirmed that flights could start from as little as $69 one way, or €62, from March. The low-cost flight details were revealed as Taoiseach Enda Kenny once again urged US authorities to approve a licence to the Irish airline that is planning low-cost transatlantic flights from Cork Airport.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/nor ... k/2535816/

---

Shannon Airport wins second global title

Shannon Airport’s global standing as a leading international airport in its class has been reinforced with its selection as winner of the World Routes Marketing Awards 2016 for airports under four million passengers.

For the second time in three years the airport claimed the ‘Best Marketing of Airports’ award at an event at the New Century Global Centre in Chengdu, Sichuan Province, China. Other shortlisted airports in the category were Halifax International, Aruba, Belfast City Airport and Cork Airport.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/busine ... bal-title/

---

Terror as flight bound for Irish airport struck by lightning

A frightened passenger on a plane struck by lightning on the way into Belfast has told of her terror.

The traveller said on Twitter it was "scary" and added it was a "bit surreal but thankfully all fine".
She also praised the actions of the crew who she said were "excellent".
A Flybe spokeswoman said: "Flybe can confirm that the aircraft operating the above flight incurred a lightning strike en route from Birmingham to Belfast City airport this afternoon.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 78758.html

OA260

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:14 pm

A Ryanair flight has made an emergency landing at Dublin Airport this afternoon.

Flight FR-817 was operating between Edinburgh in Dublin when the crew declared an emergency over the Irish Sea at around 2.40pm.
There were 145 passengers and a crew of six on board the Boeing 737-800 jet which was east of Belfast when the issue arose.
The flight was descending towards Dublin when the crew reported a technical problem.
It is understood that the crew received an oil temperature indication.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ryan ... 56877.html

JAmie2k9

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Notice DUB is no longer in Aegean booking system, a sign of bad news or just not updated seasonal services. Notice some S17 is on sale.
_______

It looks like EI are using one of AA gates at BDY, West concourse hosts American, United and OneJet with AA holding 6 of the 10 gates.

BDY is the 10th service to commence today and the 10th A330 also joined the fleet today.

OA260

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Ryanair launching new sun route from Belfast to Girona

Ryanair is launching a new route to Girona in Spain.
The new link will bring Ryanair's routes from Belfast to a dozen. The route to Girona will fly twice a week.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busin ... 86320.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos