Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

washingtonflyer
Topic Author

Big AA schedule changes

Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:40 pm

Word from Flyertalk is that there are a LOT of schedule changes being loaded up - either summer to fall adjustments or adjustments owing to unreasonable expectations as to how the airline's current hubs operate.

Any official or inside views on this?

mhkansan

Re: Big AA schedule changes

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Without details on the changes there is no point in speculating. AA updates it's schedules about every month and we're moving towards a lighter travel season through the fall and winter. Did you have anything specific in mind about the schedule change?

wedgetail737

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:08 pm

My idea of a major AA schedule change would be discontinuation of a hub like PHX. The same kind of thing that DL did with DFW.

compensateme

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:18 pm

Early September historically yields one of the largest annual schedule changes for the legacies. This is expected and not unusual.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

Vctony

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:32 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
My idea of a major AA schedule change would be discontinuation of a hub like PHX. The same kind of thing that DL did with DFW.

Not going to happen.

Even though they've cut ANC, FLL, and YYC since the merger they've been slowly adding regional flights to PHX. In addition, they're shifting flights from A319s and A321s to 738s.

I think this gives us a good idea of the future of PHX.

More regional flying, slightly less overall capacity, but still a hub.

9w748capt

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:43 pm

compensateme wrote:
Early September historically yields one of the largest annual schedule changes for the legacies. This is expected and not unusual.

True - but this weekend's changes from AA are also partly driven by their abysmal on-time performance as of late, and issues with overscheduling/crowding at LAX - if you want to believe FT anyway. So not just the seasonal reduction.

777PHX

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Vctony wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Not going to happen.

Even though they've cut ANC, FLL, and YYC since the merger they've been slowly adding regional flights to PHX. In addition, they're shifting flights from A319s and A321s to 738s.

Not to mention they're opening a 738 pilot base at PHX.

That's not something you would expect to happen if AA didn't have long term plans for PHX.

Vctony

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:35 pm

777PHX wrote:
Vctony wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Not going to happen.

Not to mention they're opening a 738 pilot base at PHX.

That's not something you would expect to happen if AA didn't have long term plans for PHX.

AA has long term plans for PHX.

It'll be a majority 738/A321 mainline operation with CR7/CR9 for regional ops.

Many A319s and A320s will be moved to LAA hubs to backfill for MD80s.

Will it grow much larger than its current size? No. Will it shrink much smaller than its current size? Not really. It'll probably end up with around 240 - 260 daily departures with 140 - 160 mainline and the rest regional.

grbauc

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:54 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

He is saying that the Title is wrong has his interpretation of MAJOR would be something along the lines of phx closing Dfw closing etc... NOT THAT PHX IS CLOSING. LOL

PacificBeach88

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:17 pm

9w748capt wrote:
True - but this weekend's changes from AA are also partly driven by their abysmal on-time performance as of late, and issues with overscheduling/crowding at LAX - if you want to believe FT anyway.

As if the world revolves around LAX. SMH. Give me a break. LAX is a big airport but not a very big hub for anyone. LAX has been a s**thole for 2 decades now. Whining about AA not being at 100% there is just plain insanity.

I despise Delta these days, and avoid SkyPesos like the plague. Also, United and their cattle cow lineup to the slaughter via group #s is annoying, so I'm now an AA person full time, other than using Sun Country and Southwest Airlines domestically.

Here in Minneapolis, you can avoid the main terminal by flying Southwest or Sun Country Airlines. https://www.suncountry.com/ibepublic/bo ... earch.html

GSPSPOT

Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Maybe ditching banked hubs and going back to rolling (please please please)?
Great Lakes, great life.

mhkansan

Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:42 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:

That's one of the rumors going around Flyertalk.

FlyCaledonian

Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:29 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:

Didn't AA used to have rolling banks, but they got ditched as part of the merger with US? If so, and they are reverting to rolling hubs, that would be an interesting development. More so if it were done at all the hubs (i.e. LAA and LUS).
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Corpsnerd09

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:28 am

FlyCaledonian wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Didn't AA used to have rolling banks, but they got ditched as part of the merger with US? If so, and they are reverting to rolling hubs, that would be an interesting development. More so if it were done at all the hubs (i.e. LAA and LUS).

Yes, banked hubs was the status quo at US and it was believed it would improve connectivity, but 11 banks at DFW just creates gate space issues... Rolling allowed for less gate utilisation, perhaps they might consider banking some hubs and not others... It seems ever since the banking at PMAA hubs began it's been hurting their on time performance.

GSPSPOT

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:42 am

Corpsnerd09 wrote:
FlyCaledonian wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Yes, banked hubs was the status quo at US and it was believed it would improve connectivity, but 11 banks at DFW just creates gate space issues... Rolling allowed for less gate utilisation, perhaps they might consider banking some hubs and not others... It seems ever since the banking at PMAA hubs began it's been hurting their on time performance.

Not to mention the fact that one of DFW's runways is out of commission. Not good when heading east!
Great Lakes, great life.

Cointrin330

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:48 am

Most airlines adjust their schedules starting in September, following Labor Day, when traffic does drop off. As for PHX, I don't see AA eliminating it as a hub. I don't think it will grow much particularly with long haul services, but it will remain an important hub in the AA system, unless oil prices spike dramatically or the US economy slides into a recession. The Phoenix metro area is one of the larger ones in the country and growing, and PHX does fulfill a role in the Western US that LAX cannot due to capacity growth limitations there and intense competition. Someone above suggested that PHX will become a 737-800/A321 focused operation with CRJ7/9's thrown in the mix and that does sound logical and about right.

ripcordd

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Only way PHX will be de-hubbed if they were to add about 50 gates at LAX

alasizon

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Most airlines adjust their schedules starting in September, following Labor Day, when traffic does drop off. As for PHX, I don't see AA eliminating it as a hub. I don't think it will grow much particularly with long haul services, but it will remain an important hub in the AA system, unless oil prices spike dramatically or the US economy slides into a recession. The Phoenix metro area is one of the larger ones in the country and growing, and PHX does fulfill a role in the Western US that LAX cannot due to capacity growth limitations there and intense competition. Someone above suggested that PHX will become a 737-800/A321 focused operation with CRJ7/9's thrown in the mix and that does sound logical and about right.

ripcordd wrote:
Only way PHX will be de-hubbed if they were to add about 50 gates at LAX

PHX nor LAX are being eliminated. Without giving away too many details, they are being teamed up together as a complimenting pair with the hope of taking on the other main Mountain West + West Coast hub groups (particularly on the domestic front as a source of connections).

PHX will be undergoing a change after the first of the year that will give it some qualities that no other western hub has and position AA very well for additional regional growth throughout the West and Mountain West.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

compensateme

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:47 pm

9w748capt wrote:
True - but this weekend's changes from AA are also partly driven by their abysmal on-time performance as of late, and issues with overscheduling/crowding at LAX - if you want to believe FT anyway. So not just the seasonal reduction.

I don't know why people keep bringing up seasonal reductions and the future of PHX.

Airlines historically publish two major schedules revisions annually: one in March and the other six months later in September. These go beyond seasonal and routine adjustments -- they take into consideration past performance and future forecasts to set-up the schedules going forward. In the past several years, the legacies have made their schedules an ongoing work-in-progress, so the impact of the bi-annual changes is less than it use to be but it's nothing unusual and is expected.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

OzarkD9S

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:44 pm

ORD and DFW due to sheer size could probably be "Rolled". PHX, CLT, PHL and MIA need to be banked. DCA by it's very nature has to be a quasi-rolled hub due to infrastructure limitations. LAX, LGA and JFK are different animals altogether and will be scheduled for their individual roles in the network.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

Beatyair

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:29 am

From the 90's on, I have been fly mad dog on AA from YYC to Dallas. Then we had MD's and 737's, then down to A319, and for the first time to an all E175 regional. Wow! They even cancelled Arizona, the large number of international flights to Phoenix is from Canada.

usa4624

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:17 am

Maybe we'll get good service from Chicago to Germany (again) ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos