ordell
Topic Author

SWA FA does Looney Tunes voices on landing

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:41 am

SWA's FAs are renowned for their humor but this guy wins the prize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCVV4pRmvFE

avi8

Re: SWA FA does Looney Tunes voices on landing

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:09 pm

That's insane. I guess it's just a matter of time he shows up on The Ellen Show.
avi8

zrs70

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:07 pm

I've written in the past about this.

First you you hear it, it's hysterical.

Second time it sounds canned.

Third time it's just annoying.

Mind you, on WN, there are likely more once a year flyers than on other carriers.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

usflyer msp

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:15 pm

zrs70 wrote:

Mind you, on WN, there are likely more once a year flyers than on other carriers.

I completely agree. The first time I might think it is cute but after that it would get increasingly irritating. I'll take a boring but professional FA over some of the WN FA's and their shtick any day...

RW01MIA

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Unprofessional and untimely. The PA is not your personal microphone for slapstick improv stand-up. A little bit of this goes a long way....

wn676

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:36 pm

This is great...however:

zrs70 wrote:

I flew WN 2-3 times a month for roughly 12 years, and it really starts to wear on you, even as a kid. You're right...it's hysterical the first time...heck even the first couple of times...but it was almost a pleasure to have a "normal" flight crew after a while.

I know, I know...I'm not much fun at parties.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

Cubsrule

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:36 pm

zrs70 wrote:

WN definitely has more subtly funny f/as (and pilots) than some other carriers, but I don't know that WN has more over the top f/as than other carriers. As a frequent WN flier, though, I agree with your assessment. The "for real" guy (anybody who has flown with him knows exactly who I am talking about) is a great example.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

smokeybandit

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:53 pm

That would get old fast. However, most passengers aren't flying enough to ever get the same FA more than once.

BobPatterson

Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:17 pm

I haven't flown much in recent years but I remember back in the 90s and/or early 2000s my delight at hearing "Whoa Nellie........WHOA" just after touching down on Southwest flights.

I was looking forward to hearing that after a couple of recent flights and was disappointed at the lack of schtick humor. I was impressed by this "entertainer" working into his routine the mention of passengers on the flight. Nice way of saying "Thank You" and humanizing what increasingly seems to be a dehumanizing experience.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

flyguychi

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:10 pm

SWA has over 14,500 flight attendants (1800 in Chicago alone...), so the likelihood of hearing the same Schtick more than once is pretty low. As a flight attendant at SWA, I'll say that I fly on average 4 days a week, 3 legs a day and it has been over 6 months since I've heard a "comedic" routine. I'll also add that in over 6 years of working here I have flown with same crew maybe 4 times....

You just have to know your audience (Las Vegas on a Friday are receptive to a little comedy vs Monday MDW-CLE business pax)

LAX772LR

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Unprofessional. That would be so annoying.
The fact that they're happy to show his face, speaks to the company culture.

Don't get me wrong, it's impressively talented; but not the sorta thing that's professional to subject a captive ...well, audience... to.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SKC

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:52 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

Don't get me wrong, it's impressively talented; but not the sorta thing that's professional to subject a captive ...well, audience... to.

You do realize that the entire flight wasn't filled with this, right?

...and you do realize that it absolutely speaks to the company culture of making your job fun and enjoyable instead of "button up that top collar and don't you dare smile" that some other carriers have? Had it been done during an emergency, yeah, that would have been unprofessional.

Lighten' up Francis.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

LAX772LR

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:09 pm

SKC wrote:

You do realize that an unprofessional action doesn't have to last for the entire duration of a flight, right?

SKC wrote:
and you do realize that it absolutely speaks to the company culture

Sure do, that's probably why I just said that very thing....... heyyyy :roll:

SKC wrote:
Had it been done during an emergency, yeah, that would have been unprofessional.

That it's done at all, is unprofessional

SKC wrote:
Lighten' up

Grow up. An airline operation is not a comedic showplace.

grbauc

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Ive been on one of his flights. Years ago you would get more comedian FA then now. A good one will also Know the right place right time. Ive found that even on flights were I think the routine is stretching it there are many others that are loving the show. The process of flying can be stressful and some humor however simple does seem to go along way.

grbauc

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:20 pm

SKC wrote:
Lighten' up

Grow up. An airline operation is not a comedic showplace.[/quote]

No but sometimes a little showmanship goes a long way. Id imagine more people ok retain the safety instructions with a few icebreakers.

SKC

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:44 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
SKC wrote:
Lighten' up

Having a little bit of fun isn't dangerous, isn't reckless, and, amazingly enough, creates an environment that employees and [gasp] customers enjoy being around. Novel idea.

This is my third airline to work for and I'll take this culture every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

shamrock321

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:45 pm

I hope he wasn't his harness like that when they landed....but yes very funny.

LAX772LR

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:55 pm

SKC wrote:
creates an environment that . . . customers enjoy being around.

Well, on that part we'd vehemently disagree.
Guess we'll just have to leave it at that.

SKC wrote:
This is my third airline to work for and I'll take this culture every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Meh, have it.
I say no thanks.

UPNYGuy

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:19 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
zrs70 wrote:

I completely agree. The first time I might think it is cute but after that it would get increasingly irritating. I'll take a boring but professional FA over some of the WN FA's and their shtick any day...

Totally agree. I have had 2 WN flights so far this year, and so far no shtick. But several years ago, a FA made a joke about turning off vibrators for the duration of the flight. I typically do not fly WN unless they are non-stop, or a good 25% minimum less than the other options (if I can't get an F cabin on a legacy).

red66mustang

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:31 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

Yikes talk about Mr. Buzzkilington. I would rather take this than the "funny" safety videos DL, VX, and UA have come up with the last couple of years, because with those, you literally have to endure every time you fly. Whereas, 9/10 WN flights you will have regular announcements and every once in a while you are treated with the delight of something a little different and funny like this. A couple months ago I had a WN flight where the FA played "Danger Zone" as we were accelerating down the runway, it was just a small little thing that brought a smile on the faces of PAX.

ordell
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:02 pm

My favorite SWA comedy came courtesy of a flight out of SNA, John Wayne Airport. That takeoff is one of the sharpest due to noise rules and your flight is practically a Space Shuttle launch. So one day two FAs put a pair of peanut packages on the ground in the aisle, and as the plane was rocketing almost straight up, the packages started sliding down the aisle, and the FAs cheered them on like it was a race. Pax quickly got the joke and joined in.

VHOGU

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:54 pm

My god some of you people are so bland and negative. It makes me cringe reading through some of the over opinionated drivel on this forum sometimes.
This guys has obviously worked hard and practised this to entertain a lot of people, and loves his job. Imagine how much kids would love this.

Southwest seems to have a particular demographic and portrays a very iconic fun company image with a culture that allows their staff to express themselves creatively and I think this FA has done a pretty good job.

It's not like you would have to listen to this on every flight, give the guy a break. This is awesome publicity for the airline.

MaxxFlyer

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:27 pm

wn676 wrote:
This is great...however:

zrs70 wrote:

I flew WN 2-3 times a month for roughly 12 years, and it really starts to wear on you, even as a kid. You're right...it's hysterical the first time...heck even the first couple of times...but it was almost a pleasure to have a "normal" flight crew after a while.

I know, I know...I'm not much fun at parties.

I fly WN maybe 20-25 RT's a year. I rarely get a joke or comedy routine. I think some people make more out of it that it is. My issue with this guy, his impressions suck.

EA CO AS

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:28 pm

I'm stunned to learn that I'm not the only one who finds this sort of schtick completely unprofessional and out of place in commercial aviation.

It's not uncommon for WN flight attendants to do this sort of comedy/song and dance routine with preflight safety demos as well. And as I've stated before, the unprofessional "Oh, just have fun with it!" side goes away IMMEDIATELY the moment someone is injured during an evacuation because they claim they didn't understand the safety demo since the flight attendants sang/rapped/made a comedy sketch out of it.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

coolian2

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:39 pm

I used to work in a bank, and there was barely a moment where I was serious. At the same time, my customers knew I was not a moron and had everything sorted - that's why I could afford the laugh.

That's how I see most humorous flight attendants - if it comes to it, they've got the situation sorted. That's why they can be funny as well.

I admit that's a bit naive because not everyone thinks the way I do, but still.

Lighten your asses up.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

tomaheath

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:55 pm

I think having this is great. Most of the time the WN FAs seem like they really enjoy there job.

OzarkD9S

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:37 pm

I don't agree with the "Unprofessional" angle some of you are commenting on. I know these guys and gals go through training and are Professionals but there are those of us who laugh out loud (myself included) when sterile announcements are livened up with a touch of comedy, when done right. I'm a customer contact employee in a different industry, with a dry, acerbic sense of humor and those customers of mine who get it are genuinely fond of me. I have the "Sunshine Letters" in my file to prove it. And yes, I am a Professional and am well known for my brutal honesty delivered in a comedic, yet honest way.

One of my very good customer's Mother-In-Law passed away a few years ago and he was STUNNED that I showed up at her visitation. He cried for the first time that day when I showed up and 30 seconds later I had him laughing his butt off. That's just me. He wrote my company and the CEO came by to thank me personally for being the kind of employee they wish they had more of. When a promotion became available in my department, guess who got it? Not the boring automatons who just punch the clock. Me, the class clown.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

bob75013

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:38 pm

coolian2 wrote:
I used to work in a bank, and there was barely a moment where I was serious. At the same time, my customers knew I was not a moron and had everything sorted - that's why I could afford the laugh.

That's how I see most humorous flight attendants - if it comes to it, they've got the situation sorted. That's why they can be funny as well.

I admit that's a bit naive because not everyone thinks the way I do, but still.

Lighten your asses up.

I agree with you, and it does NOT happen frequently. I've been A List since, well since there was an A list, so I do 25 plus flights a year. I run into "shtick" maybe once every two years.

The funniest (and most unprofessional one) I ever heard was actually on Northwest and not Southwest. The flight was a DC9 from from Minneapolis to Fargo. The pilot made a spectacularly bad landing.- four really big bounces. The flight attendant got on the speaker and said:

"I'd like to welcome you to Fargo"
"The time is 9:04"
"The Temperature is 45 degrees"
" And we wanted to let you know that we're running a special on landings tonight - four for the priced of one":

It was absolutely hilarious, but probably not for the pax that needed an underwear change.

Cubsrule

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:11 am

flyguychi wrote:
SWA has over 14,500 flight attendants (1800 in Chicago alone...), so the likelihood of hearing the same Schtick more than once is pretty low. As a flight attendant at SWA, I'll say that I fly on average 4 days a week, 3 legs a day and it has been over 6 months since I've heard a "comedic" routine. I'll also add that in over 6 years of working here I have flown with same crew maybe 4 times....

You just have to know your audience (Las Vegas on a Friday are receptive to a little comedy vs Monday MDW-CLE business pax)

I see most of the f/as I recognize (both those with schticks and just familiar faces) in and out of BNA, which makes me think that they like and select BNA trips for whatever reason. I expect that we're not the only smaller station that sees a handful of flight attendants who like trips involving the station.

EA CO AS wrote:
I'm stunned to learn that I'm not the only one who finds this sort of schtick completely unprofessional and out of place in commercial aviation.

It's not uncommon for WN flight attendants to do this sort of comedy/song and dance routine with preflight safety demos as well. And as I've stated before, the unprofessional "Oh, just have fun with it!" side goes away IMMEDIATELY the moment someone is injured during an evacuation because they claim they didn't understand the safety demo since the flight attendants sang/rapped/made a comedy sketch out of it.

I must have missed the evidence that humor during the safety demonstration makes passengers' retention of the information worse. Perhaps you can point me to it.

MaxxFlyer

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:18 am

LAX772LR wrote:
SKC wrote:

You do realize that an unprofessional action doesn't have to last for the entire duration of a flight, right?

SKC wrote:
and you do realize that it absolutely speaks to the company culture

Sure do, that's probably why I just said that very thing....... heyyyy :roll:

SKC wrote:
Had it been done during an emergency, yeah, that would have been unprofessional.

That it's done at all, is unprofessional

SKC wrote:
Lighten' up

Do you disagree with everyone, just to be argumentative? You have an opinion on everything, in every thread it seems. Always calling out others to make yourself sound more knowledgeable. Even Elves don't know everything.

Slcpilot

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:45 am

I doubt his seatbelt use would pass a safety audit from a ghost rider.
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

ACDC8

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 am

To those of you citing that this is "unprofessional" - I understand that it may be a difficult concept to understand for some, but it is actually quite easy and normal being professional while making people smile every once in awhile.

A FA's number one job is safety - right after that its passenger comfort - making passengers laugh is making them comfortable (well, at least those without a stick up their ass) and telling their friends of such a great attitude of an employee and a memorable flight is good for the airline. Passengers win, crew wins, airline wins - the only ones that don't win are the ones who piss in their corn flakes every morning.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

LAX772LR

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:53 am

MaxxFlyer wrote:
Do you disagree with everyone, just to be argumentative?

Nope. Just with you.

MaxxFlyer wrote:
You have an opinion on everything, in every thread it seems.

Lordy, and on a chat board for amateurs too.
...novel concept, ain't it? :-P

MaxxFlyer wrote:
Always calling out others

Where did I "call out" anyone here??

I just said I find it unprofessional to do something like this. Cringe-worthy level of unprofessional.
Some disagree. Fair enough. Not sure what your actual contention is, here.

ACDC8

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 am

EA CO AS wrote:

There's a better chance that a passenger will understand the safety demo if they're paying attention in the first place - and they'll pay more attention if a crew member (or video) lightens things up and try's to garner one's attention. Better to have a few people not understanding the safety demo then 3/4 of the plane not listening in the first place.

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:12 am

Cubsrule wrote:
I must have missed the evidence that humor during the safety demonstration makes passengers' retention of the information worse. Perhaps you can point me to it.

You must have missed the part where I said it only takes one injured passenger citing the manner in which briefings are conducted as a contributing factor to their injury before WN's legal department, and dare I say, the FAA in general, puts the kibosh on the whole amateur-hour delivery.

Thankfully that injury hasn't occurred.

Yet.

And I stress the word "yet," because rest assured, as more and more people travel by air, it's only a matter of time. So enjoy the sideshow while it lasts.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ACDC8

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:16 am

EA CO AS wrote:

You must have missed the part where I said it only takes one injured passenger citing the manner in which briefings are conducted as a contributing factor to their injury before WN's legal department, and dare I say, the FAA in general, puts the kibosh on the whole amateur-hour delivery.

Yet.

And I stress the word "yet," because rest assured, as more and more people travel by air, it's only a matter of time. So enjoy the sideshow while it lasts.

Unlikely. They'll sue, they'll want their money, they'll get a check written out to them and that'll be the end of it.

ojjunior

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:43 am

usflyer msp wrote:
zrs70 wrote:

Yeah Yeah,this is annoying but your yelling crying kids and your endless loud very important business calls aren't?
C'mon, what are the chances to you to get the same FA unless you fly same route daily?

usflyer msp

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:07 pm

ojjunior wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
zrs70 wrote:

Yeah Yeah,this is annoying but your yelling crying kids and your endless loud very important business calls aren't?
C'mon, what are the chances to you to get the same FA unless you fly same route daily?

Actually, you would be surprised. Many FA's bid for the same lines every period, so if you fly a route often you do repeatedly run into them.

Cubsrule

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:15 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Yet.

Why would you assume that Legal hasn't already thought about this issue?

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

On the contrary, I'm sure they have. And presently, there's no issue...but that all changes when a specific incident like the type I mentioned occurs.

And then we're off to the races...

Cubsrule

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

On the contrary, I'm sure they have. And presently, there's no issue...but that all changes when a specific incident like the type I mentioned occurs.

And then we're off to the races...

Then I'm lost. You say Legal has thought about the issue but has taken no action. Why would the occurrence of something they previously had considered change their opinion? Lawyers get paid (and get paid a lot of money in some instances) for proactive advice. We can react too, but we are not solely reactive.

33lspotter

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:51 pm

It seems that many people are either taking stances like "WOW THAT'S HILARIOUS!" or "so unprofessional, that's unfunny to even my inner child." Realistically, I think the pragmatic position is somewhere in the middle.

In favor: Remember Boston John? There was a guy who liked to have fun, but it didn't impact his ability to safely get planes in and out of Logan because the instructions were always clear. The same was true of this situation. "Unprofessional" would be going completely off the rails and failing to mention any of the pertinent safety information, and that was not the case here.

In opposition: Would I get tired of that schtick after the second or third time hearing it? Probably.

I would laugh if someone pulled out a Peter Griffin voice every once in a while. Just because this guy did it doesn't mean that it's going to happen on each and every flight. Similarly, I don't think that one FA having a little fun is going to result in the entire industry replacing FA safety demonstrations with Looney Tunes videos.

LAX772LR wrote:

Just because someone is having a little fun does not mean it's a "comedic showplace." Balance, my friend. ;)

grbauc wrote:
A good one will also Know the right place right time.

This.

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:47 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Why would the occurrence of something they previously had considered change their opinion?

It's not like it hasn't happened before; there have been plenty of instances where something was considered, dismissed as not being likely, then an about-face done the first time an incident occurred.

MaxxFlyer

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:30 am

LAX772LR wrote:
MaxxFlyer wrote:
Do you disagree with everyone, just to be argumentative?

Nope. Just with you.

MaxxFlyer wrote:
You have an opinion on everything, in every thread it seems.

Lordy, and on a chat board for amateurs too.
...novel concept, ain't it? :-P

MaxxFlyer wrote:
Always calling out others

Where did I "call out" anyone here??

I just said I find it unprofessional to do something like this. Cringe-worthy level of unprofessional.
Some disagree. Fair enough. Not sure what your actual contention is, here.

Nope. Just with you. --- That's funny, thanks for the laugh.

seabosdca

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:55 am

I want to hear this stuff from someone on a YouTube video or at a show that I choose to watch.

I really don't want to hear it when I'm groggy, thirsty, cramped, and annoyed at being on a flight rather than in bed. One of many reasons that Southwest and I have proven a poor fit and I don't fly them unless they are substantially cheaper (which almost never happens from Seattle). Honestly, I'd rather have curt and terse old-school Lufthansa FAs than this.

enilria

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:16 am

Given this level of zealousness, I would say the days of this flight attendant's act are numbered.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37275603

ikramerica

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:43 am

red66mustang wrote:
Yikes talk about Mr. Buzzkilington.

It's probably because he is a SCOTT!

(Please random people don't get offended if you don't know the joke)
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ikramerica

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:46 am

seabosdca wrote:
I want to hear this stuff from someone on a YouTube video or at a show that I choose to watch.

I really don't want to hear it when I'm groggy, thirsty, cramped, and annoyed at being on a flight rather than in bed. One of many reasons that Southwest and I have proven a poor fit and I don't fly them unless they are substantially cheaper (which almost never happens from Seattle). Honestly, I'd rather have curt and terse old-school Lufthansa FAs than this.

Kind of agree. I cringe when people try to be funny when it doesn't seem to be the right place. Apparently, enough people think a WN flight IS the right place.

Julie Haggerty: we would laugh and laugh. Do you know what it's like to laugh like that?
Raymond Burr: Yes. Yes, is do.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Max Q

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:23 am

Unprofessional, problem is one of these days when they announce an evacuation people may not take it seriously.

If this flight attendant wants to be a comedian he should quit and take it up full time, can't say his prospects are that
bright though..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

VapourTrails

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:49 am

Max Q wrote:
Unprofessional, problem is one of these days when they announce an evacuation people may not take it seriously.

If this flight attendant wants to be a comedian he should quit and take it up full time, can't say his prospects are that
bright though..

I agree. I wouldn't fly the airline again. These are employees. There is a time and a place, and it does not give pax confidence in the cabin crew to do their job, at least that is my thought on the matter.

I would turn my music right up on my headphones so I didn't have to hear it.

That seatbelt harness looks a bit weird, or is it the way he is wearing it?!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos