Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MDCJets
Topic Author

Asking to raise/lower window shades

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:02 pm

American Airlines recently released their "Worlds Greatest Flyers" ad campaign to much controversy. One of the things the video suggests is that passengers ask to "raise or lower" window shades. Does anyone actually do this? I've been on flights where it seems (frustratingly) like every passenger closes the shades without regard to what others might like, and likewise, I think most of us here would want our shade open when we are at a window seat. Is American overreaching or is this really general etiquette?

grbauc

Re: Asking to raise/lower window shades

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:08 pm

except for when the sun is shinning on somebody that's not close to the window shade and the person sitting at the window is not observant enough to others in the world then I do ask the FA to please close the shade.

Sooner787

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:08 pm

The AA flights I've taken to/from DFW in recent years,
the flight attendants have asked folks to close their
window shades before disembarking.

Of course with the sunmmers in DFW, can't say that surprises me.

I haven't yet flown on an AA Dreamliner yet, but I wonder if they black
out the windows from the central control panel once they're on the ground?

777PHX

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:59 pm

MDCJets wrote:
American Airlines recently released their "Worlds Greatest Flyers" ad campaign to much controversy. One of the things the video suggests is that passengers ask to "raise or lower" window shades. Does anyone actually do this? I've been on flights where it seems (frustratingly) like every passenger closes the shades without regard to what others might like, and likewise, I think most of us here would want our shade open when we are at a window seat. Is American overreaching or is this really general etiquette?

I've never asked someone to raise or lower the shade nor have I been asked by the person sitting in the window.

I will note that the worst flight I've had in a long time was a daylight flight in an AA 738, in seat 10A, where there isn't a window. The old bag in front of me insisted on keeping her shade down the entire time, so it was a pretty claustrophobic experience not being able to see outside or see daylight.

AWACSooner

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Simple...I paid for that window seat, I'm looking out the window. Of course, I'm also cognizant of whether or not the pax next/across from me are getting directly solar blasted, and will adjust the shade accordingly if it is a nuiscance them.

BMI727

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:18 pm

MDCJets wrote:
Is American overreaching or is this really general etiquette?

Overreaching.

Sooner787 wrote:

I remember this being common around 2007 and 2008 when fuel prices were very high but I haven't heard it in probably six years at least.

qcpilotxf

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:23 pm

BMI727 wrote:
MDCJets wrote:
Is American overreaching or is this really general etiquette?

Overreaching.

Sooner787 wrote:

I remember this being common around 2007 and 2008 when fuel prices were very high but I haven't heard it in probably six years at least.

They ask pax todo it during the day at PHX, but normal outside temp in aug at 11 am is over 100, so anything helps keep the plane cool at that point

mpgunner

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:55 pm

I just flew KE20 then KE19 and they strictly enforced closing the shades then opening them for landing. It made me wonder why they would do this unless it was to help make it easier to sleep with the darker light level.

masgniw

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:10 pm

At LAX it is pretty common for a flight attendants to come on the PA and request that you lower the shades upon arrival. It's happened to me several times on different airlines during daytime arrivals.

hispanola

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:26 pm

About a week ago I flew AA between DUB and CLT and when we landed in CLT we were asked to lower the windows. When I boarded the flight back the window shades were all down as well. It seems to me that this is still common practice.

Every time I fly sitting next to the window (which is 90% of the time) I ask the person sitting next to me if the light is bothering them and if I should lower the shade. When I'm sitting in any other seat, however, I never ask the person at the window to lower/lift the shade.

OB1504

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:39 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Simple...I paid for that window seat, I'm looking out the window. Of course, I'm also cognizant of whether or not the pax next/across from me are getting directly solar blasted, and will adjust the shade accordingly if it is a nuiscance them.

My thoughts exactly.

Middle seat gets both armrests, aisle seat can go to the bathroom whenever they want, and window seat can do as they please with the window shade.

It drives me crazy to see people at window seats immediately lower their shade upon embarkation while I struggle to catch a glimpse of the outside world from my middle or aisle.

Max Q

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:30 pm

OB1504 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Middle seat gets both armrests, aisle seat can go to the bathroom whenever they want, and window seat can do as they please with the window shade.

It drives me crazy to see people at window seats immediately lower their shade upon embarkation while I struggle to catch a glimpse of the outside world from my middle or aisle.

Nailed it, very well said !

Gr8Circle

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:43 pm

Its quite common for FAs to request passengers to lower the blinds before disembarking....it helps to keep the plane cooler and lower the demand on air conditioning while on ground, irrespective of the oil prices....I've seen this on BA, DL and AC in the past two years....

Yeah having to lower the blinds compulsorily on a night flight so that people's sweet sleep is not disturbed in the morning as the sun comes up, really sucks.....as long as you are responsible enough to lower the blinds when the sun does come up on your side, I guess its okay to keep them open......but obviously FAs can't tell a responsible pax from an irresponsible one who might just fall fast asleep and not notice the rising sun..so they have to do what they do.....I just lower the blinds when told to, and keep raising them (or lightening them) for a quick peek outside whenever I want to.....

hayzel777

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:25 am

A lot of the Asian airlines will have you close the window shades even if you don't want to. For example, no matter what time of day it is, BR and CI will walk around right after takeoff on long hauls and ask you to close your blinds. On short/mid haul, they won't though but most of the cabin does for some reason.

smokeybandit

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:38 am

I flew into SLC in August on WN and they asked us to lower the shades.

glbltrvlr

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:54 am

Gr8Circle wrote:
Its quite common for FAs to request passengers to lower the blinds before disembarking....it helps to keep the plane cooler and lower the demand on air conditioning while on ground, irrespective of the oil prices....I've seen this on BA, DL and AC in the past two years....

Just because something seems to be commonly held, doesn't mean it's true. Given how low the belt line is on most aircraft, there's rarely going to be direct sunlight through the window and the vinyl isn't thick enough to add any insulation above what is already there to handle the -40 degree temps at altitude. Basically you get a hot dark tube instead of a hot light tube.

Frankly, I'm surprised the practice has not been stopped as a safety hazard. Taxi in/out and at the gate is exactly when passengers need to be able to see outside the aircraft to see if there is an evac hazard on that side of the aircraft.

AWACSooner

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:22 am

hayzel777 wrote:
A lot of the Asian airlines will have you close the window shades even if you don't want to. For example, no matter what time of day it is, BR and CI will walk around right after takeoff on long hauls and ask you to close your blinds. On short/mid haul, they won't though but most of the cabin does for some reason.

I'd comply, and then raise them right back up the moment they're gone...sorry, but I like to look out the window.

VC10er

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:41 am

I always ask for a window seat and I almost always get it. I open it right away even if the sun is beating on the plane. I do always check to see if my open windows is beaming onto the person next to me or somewhere else, if so I will close it in part or the entire way, depending.

I have been asked to close my window shade by the pax next to me, and at times when they just want it closed, not because they are being baked. THAT PISSES ME OFF. I will close it partially and say "I am looking out"

hayzel777

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:59 am

AWACSooner wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:

I'd comply, and then raise them right back up the moment they're gone...sorry, but I like to look out the window.

I have seen someone do that before. The next time the flight attendant came around, she asked him to lower it again! They seem to be so strict of something so small.

xjet

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:33 am

If you look around and your shade is the only one up, do a little self evaluation and be courteous. This isn't difficult. Being in a window seat should not give you the power to annoy the entire cabin.

You guys or gals that don't care what everyone else wants or needs have a pretty big sense of self importance. Just my immediate thought. A lack of common courtesy is what has society in shambles sometimes.

TG788

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:52 am

On a flight from MEL-CBR, I was sitting in the window seat and the chap next to me leaned over and decided for me that I wanted the blind shut.

MSPSXMFLIER

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:58 am

My partner and I do 2-4 flights a year with most of them on Sun Country and the rest on Delta and I've never been asked or told to lower my shade on either airline. We trade off on getting the window seat as we both do enjoy looking out at the terrain that is passing by. We will close it if we're watching a movie or one of us wants to catch a few winks. The nice thing about being seated in first class is that there's only two seats on either side of the aisle (A,C or D,F), so we are in that section by ourselves. Most other passengers around us do as we do with their shades and no other passenger has asked us to ever close ours.

Qantas16

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:18 am

xjet wrote:
If you look around and your shade is the only one up, do a little self evaluation and be courteous. This isn't difficult. Being in a window seat should not give you the power to annoy the entire cabin.

You guys or gals that don't care what everyone else wants or needs have a pretty big sense of self importance. Just my immediate thought. A lack of common courtesy is what has society in shambles sometimes.

Couldn't agree more, some of the arrogance on here is astounding. I love looking out the window but if I'm on a flight and they need to be closed (which is likely to only be longhaul anyway) then I'll close them.

Great feature of the 787 with the FA controlled tinting...

OB1504

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:29 am

Qantas16 wrote:
xjet wrote:

Couldn't agree more, some of the arrogance on here is astounding. I love looking out the window but if I'm on a flight and they need to be closed (which is likely to only be longhaul anyway) then I'll close them.

Great feature of the 787 with the FA controlled tinting...

Why do they need to be closed? Why can't I look out the window? Why bother installing them in the first place, even?

That being said, when I'm actively looking out the window, I isually position myself right in front of it to block any excess light or glare.

flyguy89

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:47 am

xjet wrote:

Cheers to that. I enjoy looking out the window just as much as the next avgeek, but I've also been on daylight long-hauls where most (myself included) are trying to sleep and flight attendants have requested that window shades be lowered to darken the cabin...yet some [email protected]$$ has to be "that guy" and pull up their shade and flood the whole cabin with sunlight and clearly disturb everyone else trying to sleep. I understand wanting to enjoy the awesome views, but having a window seat shouldn't preclude you from being courteous to others on a flight.

redcenterflyer

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:57 am

Qantas always ask to open shades for take off and landing.. I never asked, but believe its for safety... so passengers can see fire easier if there happens to be an incident

crownvic

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:59 am

I can take this frustration one step further. It is my opinion that during taxi, take off and landing, ALL window shades should be open and this should be a mandatory rule/law. I just got off a series of flights this week where half the shades were down during these periods and not one F/A said a word. To me, that is a safety hazard. There should be maximum viewing out all windows to all passengers during these phases, in the event of an emergency. It truly amazes me the increasing numbers of "numb and dumb" people I encounter, with each passing year.

flyingclrs727

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:18 am

BMI727 wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

I've gotten that request every time I've flown into PHX. It can be so hot at PHX, that planes get uncomfortably hot inside if the shades aren't drawn down.

aeropix

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:26 am

OB1504 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
xjet wrote:
Why do they need to be closed? Why can't I look out the window? Why bother installing them in the first place, even?

That being said, when I'm actively looking out the window, I isually position myself right in front of it to block any excess light or glare.

Because with even ONE shade open there is a dramatic blinding bright light in the cabin that can disturb light sleepers such as myself. Yes, I arm myself with eye-shades and earplugs or noise cancelling headsets but we have to remember we are sharing that small space with hundreds of individuals who may not be as seasoned as we are here on A-net and so we in polite society have a responsibility of kindness toward the fellow passengers on these flights, especially having chosen the window seats.

No, "blocking the light" with your body simply does not work.

Alas, I was a big "I've got the window seat and I'm going to look outside gosh-darn it!" guy for many years but after 2000 commercial flights I've come to realize that A) Ive got plenty of time to see the scenery over many journeys and on climbout and approach where the scenery is most interesting anyway and B) It just feels better to "do the right thing" for the whole group by shutting that light off even if I have to miss out on some scenery for my self.

deltatim

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:39 am

Generally I view the shade issue as one of common courtesy. I enjoy looking out the window but if a hot sun is shining in my seatmate's eyes, then I'll do them a favor. But even then I have a small view... I never enjoyed as a kid having to lower my shade for "the movie" so I would open it about two inches and so I could still see out... But I do appreciate a cool plane in the ATL when I embark, so I think it's a great idea to ask passengers to lower shades before disembarking.

Passedv1

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:39 am

OB1504 wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Can I get an Amen.

sergegva

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:48 am

aeropix wrote:

No, "blocking the light" with your body simply does not work.

Alas, I was a big "I've got the window seat and I'm going to look outside gosh-darn it!" guy for many years but after 2000 commercial flights I've come to realize that A) Ive got plenty of time to see the scenery over many journeys and on climbout and approach where the scenery is most interesting anyway and B) It just feels better to "do the right thing" for the whole group by shutting that light off even if I have to miss out on some scenery for my self.

Good for you and your >2000 flights.
But what about the guy who is flying once a year and book a window seat on purpose to watch the scenary? How come your sleep is more important than his pleasure? No problem if he's sleeping or watching a movie. But if he's actively looking at the window, asking him to lower the shade is the selfish behaviour.

Zombus

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:35 am

sergegva wrote:
But what about the guy who is flying once a year and book a window seat on purpose to watch the scenary?

That would be me. On average, I fly only once or twice a year. Sometimes a bit more, some years none at all. But when I do, I will stop at nothing to make it worth my while. I pick specific flights for special types, new airlines, interesting routes. And I pick window seats whenever possible. I want to look out, enjoy the views and admire what the world looks like from up there. Marvel at the miracle of flight.

I can watch movies at home, in much better quality. I'm not gonna try to sleep - I can do that much better in a real bed. And honestly, I think that goes for most passengers. Unless you're flying lie-flat, the quality of sleep you're going to get on a flight will only be a minimal fraction of what you'd normally be getting. I really don't think my window shade being open or closed is going to make the difference between sleeping like a baby or suffering hellish torture. And if it does - too bad. I'll be that annoying prick who keeps the window shade open. And I will pretend to have a claustrophopbic seizure if someone tries to force me to shut it ;) As I mentioned, I'll stop at nothing.

rocket45

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:27 am

When flying across the Pacific on Northwest it was required that shades be open for landing and taking off - I understood for safety.

When Delta bought Northwest the cabins went dark. I again understood shades down parked at the gate helped cool the cabin plus not having to use APU's saved fuel. .Now the miracle of takeoffs and landings where tons of weight are lofted and then brought down to the ground again are no longer experienced. Its only a blacked out bus ride today.

Flying into Nartia last Monday afternoon on one of Delta's 400's only two of us in the B section of Business class had our shades up watching the spectacular afternoon thunderheads, anvil clouds and white cotton like surrounding clouds as our 400 deviated and snaked its way around this beauty with hardly a ripple in the cabin. I had a very tight seat belt knowing that just being close to this scenery there is a chance of sharp turbulence

RohanDXB

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:05 am

I can't claim to have a fixed rule on this topic - it's really variable.
If it's a red-eye which will land just after sunrise, I would keep the shades closed until we begin descent as a courtesy to other passengers.
For those pure daytime mid-haul flights, I will keep the blinds open for those sections where we are over land. Evening flights - doesn't matter.
I take special care during descent when the aircraft is turning for final approach or as part of a hold - don't want a situation where the sun blinds someone (or me!) directly.

Just once, we were flying over the Himalayas I think (DXB-PEK) and that was just during sunrise when the entire cabin was pitch dark. I raised the blinds as little as possible while still allowing me to enjoy the view. I also tried to block as much of the light as possible by moving close to the window (I'm on the large side). No one seemed to notice or mind.

This is all for the 10% of my flights where I select window seats. When flying long-haul the freedom to get up and walk around is a higher priority than views of oceans for eight hours.

Broadly though, a bit of situational awareness is needed - if the cabin lights are on, shades open and everyone is up and about, no issues keeping the windows open.
If not, I don't mind holding off on the views for a bit - people are far too stressed out during flying anyway. I wouldn't want to add to it.

Ro

aeropix

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:13 am

Zombus wrote:
sergegva wrote:
suffering hellish torture. And if it does - too bad. I'll be that annoying prick who keeps the window shade open. And I will pretend to have a claustrophopbic seizure if someone tries to force me to shut it ;) As I mentioned, I'll stop at nothing.

Wow! Good on you my friend! What a delightful asset to human civilization you are! Please let me know if I accidentally buy the house next to yours...

tonystan

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:04 am

Not this discussion again?

ckfred

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:43 pm

The last two AA flights, DEN-ORD and ORD-DEN, the window shades were up. And that's despite the fact that it was July, and both days were sunny and warm.

Now, back in April, I was on an AA flight, MIA-ORD, and all of the window shades were down. It was surprising in F, how many people left the shades down, which I found frustrating. I was sitting next to a teenager who was already asleep, by the time I sat down.

NASBWI

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:58 pm

crownvic wrote:
It is my opinion that during taxi, take off and landing, ALL window shades should be open and this should be a mandatory rule/law. I just got off a series of flights this week where half the shades were down during these periods and not one F/A said a word. To me, that is a safety hazard. There should be maximum viewing out all windows to all passengers during these phases, in the event of an emergency.

I can understand what you're saying, but that's a "Pandora's Box" of sorts that I'm sure a lot of airlines (and their FAs) don't necessarily want to tackle. Have passengers become more complacent lately? Yes, and it's frustrating when we see things like folks taking their belongings with them during an evac, or posing next to the airplane after evacuating to take a selfie (rather than helping other pax). But that issue is pandemic, and "policing" them into being more conscious of their surroundings isn't going to help. Making people raise their window shades during taxi, takeoff, and landing sounds like a good idea in theory, but we can't "force" them to stop listening to their ipads, reading their books, or going to sleep with an eye mask on. All of those scenarios can (and often do) lead to distraction, which in turn can lead to disorientation if things go badly very quickly.

The last airline I flew for required only the first row of window shades to be up - and that was more for our benefit than that of the pax, because on the CRJ-200, the FA's vision was quite obscured by the entry door and tiny window on the galley door.

I guess at the end of the day, unless we have a plane 100% full of minors, adults are adults. We cannot (and must not) be expected to hold their hands until common sense kicks in; otherwise, our hands might go numb! {wink} Cheers!

DAL763ER

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:29 pm

If you're the only one with the shade up, then you should be aware of that and put it down, especially if it's a long haul and regardless if it's day or night. Only time shades should be up is for taxi, takeoff and landing in case of an emergency.

The once or twice a year flier should understand that this is PUBLIC transport and that if they want to be able to make the cabin bright all for themselves, then there are things called private jets. I like looking out the window when reasonable, but on a 5 hour transcon surely you're not going to be looking out all the time anyway. People's sleep gets disturbed as does the image quality - iPad or IFE doesn't matter.

AWACSooner

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:41 pm

xjet wrote:

Nice try, but no! What's the point of having windows then? Maybe you shouldn't take your first choice of meal then, because they might run out of it and someone else might want it! I like to look out the window...and I paid for the ticket and selected that seat. Thus, unless I am solar blasting someone else in the row, that shade is going up and I am looking out the window. The worst thing Boeing did with the 787 was put in that override switch for the FA's!

flyguy89

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:57 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
xjet wrote:

Nice try, but no! What's the point of having windows then? Maybe you shouldn't take your first choice of meal then, because they might run out of it and someone else might want it! I like to look out the window...and I paid for the ticket and selected that seat. Thus, unless I am solar blasting someone else in the row, that shade is going up and I am looking out the window. The worst thing Boeing did with the 787 was put in that override switch for the FA's!

It's just common courtesy? My seat reclines and I paid for the seat...doesn't mean I'm going to be an arse and recline into the person's lap behind me right after take-off, or make my whole row constantly move around so I can get up into the aisle 20 bajillion times. If the cabin is dark, you're on a longer flight and people are sleeping/resting and yours is the only window shade up flooding the cabin with light, you're an arsehole...I don't care if you paid specifically for a window or only fly once a year, that doesn't make it OK for you to make everyone else uncomfortable. In such an instance, I'll gladly walk back and ask the FA to close your window shade.

If it's a shorter flight, have at it, I love looking out the window as well...but if you're on a west-bound daytime TATL flight where most are trying to rest up, just be courteous.

jeffh747

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:19 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
xjet wrote:

It's just common courtesy? My seat reclines and I paid for the seat...doesn't mean I'm going to be an arse and recline into the person's lap behind me right after take-off, or make my whole row constantly move around so I can get up into the aisle 20 bajillion times. If the cabin is dark, you're on a longer flight and people are sleeping/resting and yours is the only window shade up flooding the cabin with light, you're an arsehole...I don't care if you paid specifically for a window or only fly once a year, that doesn't make it OK for you to make everyone else uncomfortable. In such an instance, I'll gladly walk back and ask the FA to close your window shade.

If it's a shorter flight, have at it, I love looking out the window as well...but if you're on a west-bound daytime TATL flight where most are trying to rest up, just be courteous.

If you're going to be so military about shutting the window and getting your precious rest, how about you just select a window seat during the booking or checkin process and you can control it yourself for as long as you want? I just don't get it. On every single major airline you have the option to select your seats at some point in time leading up to the flight. If you would prefer to get rest or otherwise have the window shade down, just pick a window seat. If you'd rather have the extra legroom with an aisle seat, pick that, but don't complain if the person in the window has it open and is looking outside. Because then you're the arsehole. The only time I ever lower it, is when the Flight Attendant kindly asks the cabin and myself to lower the window shades, and that's only to prevent myself from getting into any serious trouble.

flyguy89

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:33 pm

jeffh747 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

If you're going to be so military about shutting the window and getting your precious rest, how about you just select a window seat during the booking or checkin process and you can control it yourself for as long as you want? I just don't get it. On every single major airline you have the option to select your seats at some point in time leading up to the flight. If you would prefer to get rest or otherwise have the window shade down, just pick a window seat. If you'd rather have the extra legroom with an aisle seat, pick that, but don't complain if the person in the window has it open and is looking outside. Because then you're the arsehole. The only time I ever lower it, is when the Flight Attendant kindly asks the cabin and myself to lower the window shades, and that's only to prevent myself from getting into any serious trouble.

Because it doesn't make a difference. If you've ever been in a darkened cabin on a long-haul with all window shades closed, you'll know that just one shade opened by anyone floods the whole cabin with light, regardless if you're in a window seat with a closed shade...it's basically equivalent to someone walking into a room where you're sleeping and flipping on the lights. And it's not just my "precious sleep." On such longer hauls it's the vast majority of the cabin trying to get some rest.

LAH1

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:12 pm

Decent eye shades if you want to sleep. On US TATL flights I've been on in F it's a case of shut the blinds then put the reading lights on or watch the screens. Like you can't see the same movie better at home! When else do you get to see scenery at 30 000 ft, oh yeah, in your living room.

Nightime fine, close them, fair enough. Day time no thanks. One of the great joys of flying is to see what you can't see anywhere else. If you fly so much on business it all gets hackneyed then those eye shades are not too expensive.

vr-hkg

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:17 pm

BMI727 wrote:

I've had it happen within the last six months. Think it was on a Delta flight, but I'm not 100% certain.

AWACSooner

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:07 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
xjet wrote:

And then I'll confront you and tell you what I just told you...

So, to you "close your window shade so I can sleep" folks, do you also demand that we all turn off our reading lights as well, since you're apparently THAT light sensitive?

masgniw

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:24 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
So, to you "close your window shade so I can sleep" folks, do you also demand that we all turn off our reading lights as well, since you're apparently THAT light sensitive?

That's not even a remotely close to fair comparison. Sunlight intensity = about 10,000 foot-candles. Reading light intensity = about 15 foot-candles.

AWACSooner

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:55 am

masgniw wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

That's not even a remotely close to fair comparison. Sunlight intensity = about 10,000 foot-candles. Reading light intensity = about 15 foot-candles.

Oh yes it is...and you know exactly why. You can't have your cake and eat it too on this one.

masgniw

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:13 am

AWACSooner wrote:
masgniw wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

Oh yes it is...and you know exactly why. You can't have your cake and eat it too on this one.

Huh? What? Your indignance is leading to willful ignorance of facts...I would suggest some presentation of data instead of this yard sale of feelings you have laid out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos