MrHMSH
Topic Author

Re: Vietnamese airlines order 40 Airbus aircraft, VN intends to start nonstop flights to USA.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:49 am

LAX772LR wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
We don't know the delivery schedule for these 10 new A350s. If they start delivering in 2018/19, it won't be the 280t model.

True, though it'd would be borderline shocking if A350s produced in that time frame wouldn't eventually be upgradeable to that MTOW.

KarelXWB wrote:
Another thing that is being overlooked in this thread, Vietnam will first have to achieve Category 1 rating by the FAA.

Which is the worrisome part.

The last time they bought aircraft specifically intended to allow US operations (leasing 656,000lb GE90 powered 77Es, on top of their purchased 648,000lb PW4000 77Es), it was predicated on receiving Category1 status which never came, and those aircraft ended up opping primarily to CDG.

Here's hoping for no repeat.

Perhaps the fact that this is an MOU rather than a firm order means VN are trying to get the rating, and are putting plans in place without putting all their eggs in one basket? Roughly how much cost does an MOU incur?

TGV wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Plus, they already have a pretty decent business class cabin on the brand new 787's, 1-2-1 layout with flatbed seating

I did a trip report comparing the 2 planes some time ago (unfortunately all pictures have disappeared in the forum software change).

Vietnam Airlines LHR-SGN (B787) And SGN-CDG (A350)

My opinion is that the 350 cabin is slightly better than the 787, thanks to the wider cabin width.

I'll give some thought to this myself, I recently booked a return from HAN-SGN, going out on an A350, return on 787 (I'm grateful for such choice on a 2hr flight!). Provided the schedule doesn't change I'll have some nice references for both.

KarelXWB

Re: Vietnamese airlines order 40 Airbus aircraft, VN intends to start nonstop flights to USA.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:17 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
Perhaps the fact that this is an MOU rather than a firm order means VN are trying to get the rating,

Vietnam is working on Category 1 rating for 10 years now, it seems to be taking forever.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:32 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
Vietnam is working on Category 1 rating for 10 years now, it seems to be taking forever.

I wonder what specific issues are the holdup?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

MKEdude

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:40 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
Any chance for SEA? As DL is a skyTeam partner and might help position SEA as an Asia hub.

That was my first thought as well. Also what about SGN-ATL? At 8071nm it's possible. But would there be enough connecting traffic going either way?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

Polot

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:44 pm

MKEdude wrote:
VCEflyboy wrote:
Any chance for SEA? As DL is a skyTeam partner and might help position SEA as an Asia hub.

That was my first thought as well. Also what about SGN-ATL? At 8071nm it's possible. But would there be enough connecting traffic going either way?

SGN-ATL would be a disaster. Its possible using a ULR in a premium heavy layout. SGN is not a premium heavy destination, especially from ATL, and ATL is poorly located for connecting traffic to that end of the world.

lavalampluva

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm pretty comfortable with saying that flights will be SGN-LAX. LAX is the JFK of the West Coast. SFO will follow shortly after.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

KarelXWB

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:22 pm

According to CAPA, VN plans to take the 280t A350-900 from 2020.

Vietnam Airlines on 6-Sep-2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Airbus for 10 280-tonne max take-off weight (MTOW) A350-900s for delivery from 2020. The new deal supplements earlier commitments for 24 A350-900s with the original 268 tonne MTOW. Four of these aircraft have already been delivered and are used on European routes.

Airbus announced in Mar-2016 the availability of the new higher gross weight 280-tonne A350-900 from 2020, essentially boosting the aircraft’s range by approximately 1000km. The new 280-tonne variant opens up several potential ultra long-range routes which were not feasible with the existing 268-tonne and 275-tonne versions – at least not economically feasible when factoring in payload limitations. Ho Chi Minh-Los Angeles is one such route.

Vietnam Airlines has repeatedly expressed a desire to serve the US. It initially planned to launch Ho Chi Minh-Los Angeles in 2007 and has since repeatedly pushed back the launch of flights to the US.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/v ... der-300912
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos