Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Australian Aviation Thread Part 145 is now open for discussion. Please add your comments below. In Part 144 we discussed

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1340497

Possibility of more African services in the future
QF pushes 8 A388 options out 10 years, no plans for additional A388’s
Jetgo announce PQQ-Essendon
QF 787 routes
DL considering using A350 on SYD-LAX, crunching numbers on MEL service
QFF points can be earnt at Woolworths from 31 August
TT to start MEL-CBR services
MF to increase MEL-XMN to 3 weekly
QF record $1.57 billion profit for F15/16
JQ to get 2 more A321’s, QF Freight to get an additional 734F
D7 will increase MEL from 14 weekly to 17 weekly for Dec/Jan
First 787 international route probably to Asia to be announced this year, to start mid Nov 17
Anniversary on the 1989 pilots dispute
ACCC issues draft determination for Extension of VA/SQ alliance for 5 more years
PX increases POM-CNS
Rumour of new Asian airline starting MEL Q1 17
HU starting XIY-MEL 2 weekly from 1 Nov 16
First QF 787 is ln 615
Articles on a potential QF PER-LHR
Talk of NZ beating QF to PER-LHR
KE brings forward A380 ops to SYD to 30 OCT 16
Former QF LHR slots
EK424/425 DXB-PER will be a 77W for Nov instead of A388
MU adds 3 weekly HGH-SYD from 15 Nov 16
EK will upgrade CHC to A388 from 30 Oct 16, will now operate DXB-SYD-CHC as EK412/413
EK will also swap DXB-BKK-SYD-CHC to DXB-BKK-SYD-AKL
A330 GE engine falls off truck near SYD
CX to fly A350 & 77W to MEL in early 17
QR915 diverts to PER, medical
TG delays A350 service to MEL to late Oct
HU plans CSX-MEL, 2 weekly from 9 Nov 16
Flypelican to start NTL-CFS in Oct 16
CZ applies for SZX-BNE, Nov start
QF to resume daily MEL-NRT in December
JQ to axe MEL-NRT from late Feb 17
Future route opportunities for JQ 787’s
Inaugural QR A388 to SYD
CBR airport opens new International Terminal in lead up to SQ flights starting 21 Sep 16
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:38 pm

QF targets non-stops Europe to SYD

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/820/ ... -to-sydney

Summary of article includes
777X or A350 to deliver the airline non-stop capabilities
Possible routes LHR-PER with 787, followed by CDG-SYD, FCO-MEL
JQ wont be joining D7 or TZ on kangaroo route anytime soon
JQ's focus is Asia, many growth opportunities
The long-term potential is for non-stop premium services to European ports other airlines would struggle to match, including Sydney-London - See more at: http://www.airlineratings.com/news/820/ ... -to-sydney
For now, China & the US are the main game
787 opens up MEL and or BNE to DFW
next decade aircraft open up JFK and ORD direct
AJ believes MU partnership could potentially be QF's biggest partnership
Potential to China is huge, will benefit QF both on international and domestic flights
Big potential in charter services to China
JQ ends 1 year contract on OOL-WUH partnered with Wanda on 1 Oct 16, looking for other opportunities
QF will not exercise options for A388's
Forum Moderator
 
PA515
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:52 pm

There was discussion in the last thread about PER-LHR, however I wondered if LH might be interested in MUC-PER using the A350-900s they are getting in 2017. MUC-PER would be about one hour less than LHR-PER, so within the A350-900's capabilities.

PA515
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:59 pm

QF A333 VH-QPI returned to PVG on Thursday due to a hydraulic issue

QANTAS A330-300 VH-QPI operating QF130 Shanghai Pudong – Sydney stopped the climb at 6,000 ft this evening due to a hydraulic issue. The aircraft circled to work checklists and burn fuel for almost two hours before returning to Shanghai Pudong for a safe landing. However we have received reports that the aircraft sustained damage to the gear doors
.

http://www.theqantassource.com/qantas-a ... al-return/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:13 am

MU files for KMG-SYD from 24 Nov 16

MU777 KMG0050 – 1445SYD 332 246
MU778 SYD2050 – 0500+1KMG 332 246

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -nov-2016/
Forum Moderator
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 895
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:16 am

qf789 wrote:
QF targets non-stops Europe to SYD

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/820/ ... -to-sydney

Summary of article includes
777X or A350 to deliver the airline non-stop capabilities
Possible routes LHR-PER with 787, followed by CDG-SYD, FCO-MEL


Not sure if the article's author is quoting QF or just throwing out suggestions, but I find it difficult to believe that QF would embark on SYD-CDG non-stop. If they were doing non-stop from SYD it would be LHR. SYD-LHR is only marginally further than SYD-CDG (<100km). Ultimately, the fundamental issue is not so much SYD-LHR vs SYD-CDG, but rather the current generation of planes (including planned derivatives) such as the 787/777X/A350ULR won't have the legs for SYD-CDG/LHR.

PER-LHR is feasible, but the economics need to stack up even if there are planes which have the legs for it.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
smi0006
Posts: 2569
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:50 pm

SYDSpotter wrote:
qf789 wrote:
QF targets non-stops Europe to SYD

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/820/ ... -to-sydney

Summary of article includes
777X or A350 to deliver the airline non-stop capabilities
Possible routes LHR-PER with 787, followed by CDG-SYD, FCO-MEL


Not sure if the article's author is quoting QF or just throwing out suggestions, but I find it difficult to believe that QF would embark on SYD-CDG non-stop. If they were doing non-stop from SYD it would be LHR. SYD-LHR is only marginally further than SYD-CDG (<100km). Ultimately, the fundamental issue is not so much SYD-LHR vs SYD-CDG, but rather the current generation of planes (including planned derivatives) such as the 787/777X/A350ULR won't have the legs for SYD-CDG/LHR.

PER-LHR is feasible, but the economics need to stack up even if there are planes which have the legs for it.


I think the author is just making his/her own suggestions. But perhaps non-stop up to Europe, and via Perth back to AU? Mini hub in Perth? The airport is not overly congested and with a bit of money could be nice boutique airport.
 
atal17
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:35 am

http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australi ... es-flights

BREAKING: Virgin Australia to resume Melbourne - Los Angeles from April 2017, will end Sydney - Abu Dhabi, and launch Perth - Abu Dhabi with the Airbus A330 from 09JUN17
 
User avatar
csturdiv
Posts: 1993
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:33 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:09 am

Not sure if in the previous thread when the "Jetgo announce PQQ-Essendon" topic was discussed, I just saw there they have acquired an E140. It is still in the US per CH-Aviation.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1716
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:40 am

atal17 wrote:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-to-launch-melbourne-los-angeles-flights

BREAKING: Virgin Australia to resume Melbourne - Los Angeles from April 2017, will end Sydney - Abu Dhabi, and launch Perth - Abu Dhabi with the Airbus A330 from 09JUN17


BNE-LAX reduces from 7 to 6 weekly with one or two services each way also having a timing change.
 
Bluebird191
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:48 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
atal17 wrote:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-to-launch-melbourne-los-angeles-flights

BREAKING: Virgin Australia to resume Melbourne - Los Angeles from April 2017, will end Sydney - Abu Dhabi, and launch Perth - Abu Dhabi with the Airbus A330 from 09JUN17


BNE-LAX reduces from 7 to 6 weekly with one or two services each way also having a timing change.


Why not change the timing of 6x weekly services - will give a point of differentiation from QF and their 744 flights with QF15/16, and will have more incentive for travellers to use that flight if they want to properly start or finish their USA holiday/trip in LA.
 
atal17
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:09 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
atal17 wrote:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-to-launch-melbourne-los-angeles-flights

BREAKING: Virgin Australia to resume Melbourne - Los Angeles from April 2017, will end Sydney - Abu Dhabi, and launch Perth - Abu Dhabi with the Airbus A330 from 09JUN17


BNE-LAX reduces from 7 to 6 weekly with one or two services each way also having a timing change.


http://blog.virginaustralia.com/news-an ... bi-flights

* Sydney - Abu Dhabi CANCELLED from 04FEB17
* Brisbane - Los Angeles reduced to 6pw from 07APR17
 
atal17
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:10 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/in ... -Gulf.html

AI plans to increase both SYD/MEL operations to 5pw each from W16, with the addition of new Dream)liners
 
Sydscott
Posts: 3513
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:50 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:22 am

Bluebird191 wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:
atal17 wrote:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-to-launch-melbourne-los-angeles-flights

BREAKING: Virgin Australia to resume Melbourne - Los Angeles from April 2017, will end Sydney - Abu Dhabi, and launch Perth - Abu Dhabi with the Airbus A330 from 09JUN17


BNE-LAX reduces from 7 to 6 weekly with one or two services each way also having a timing change.


Why not change the timing of 6x weekly services - will give a point of differentiation from QF and their 744 flights with QF15/16, and will have more incentive for travellers to use that flight if they want to properly start or finish their USA holiday/trip in LA.


I love how the article is written as an advertorial. I wonder if Virgin paid for it to be written like that. LOL

Interesting that they are starting PER- Abu Dhabi with the A332. Given the as yet unnamed city pairs for PEK and HKG, a Perth Abu Dhabi service effectively means they have given up finding additional Asian routes for the A330 along with another cut to domestic wdiebody flying. I wonder if they will do a straight swap for 737's on domestic or whether this means they will be buying more A330's. It also effectively kills the notion that the 777 could be used into Asia because this also effectively ties up their 777 fleet into North America. Interesting moves by VA and hopefully this means they will finally make some decent money out of long haul flying.
 
benjjk
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:27 am

Good to see VA Int sort-of expanding again. Dropping SYD-AUH is a bold move given, you know, it's Sydney, but one that has probably been on the cards for a while to be honest.

Canberra people, the first SQ flight arriving tomorrow morning is apparently planning a flyover the city beforehand. Hopefully the clouds stay away long enough for it to happen!
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:54 am

Interesting that they are starting PER- Abu Dhabi with the A332. Given the as yet unnamed city pairs for PEK and HKG, a Perth Abu Dhabi service effectively means they have given up finding additional Asian routes for the A330 along with another cut to domestic wdiebody flying. I wonder if they will do a straight swap for 737's on domestic or whether this means they will be buying more A330's. It also effectively kills the notion that the 777 could be used into Asia because this also effectively ties up their 777 fleet into North America. Interesting moves by VA and hopefully this means they will finally make some decent money out of long haul flying.


Already VA has announced that more of its trans-continental services will go back to 737s particularly out of BNE and MEL to allow for the AUH service. This is pretty understandable given the downturn in PER traffic with both QF and VA now largely flying 737s on weekend trans-continental services. Obviously, this go only go so far or the hyped "The Business"product on coast to coast services will be more myth than fact.

There is no doubt that, at some point, VA will need more A330s. These latest announcements mean the 77W fleet is maxed out and the A330 international services come at the expense of domestic services meaning they are also effectively maxed out. VA has several options in this regard. Its new Chinese shareholder is one of the world's biggest aircraft lessors and will undoubtedly have some RR powered A332s at its disposal. Likewise EY is gradually reducing its RR A332s as the 789s come on-line. The third option is SQ which is reducing its A333 fleet as the A359s are delivered though whether VA would want a small sub-fleet of A333s albeit also RR powered is open to question. I do not think VA will directly buy more A332s given they have announced that both the A332s and 77Ws are likely to be replaced in about 5 years with either A350s or 787s.

I love how the article is written as an advertorial. I wonder if Virgin paid for it to be written like that. LOL

I doubt VA paid for it. Usually the paid advertorials on AUSBT do not allow comments. I admit the article is pretty effusive in its praise of VA's product and that may reflect a fair bit of lifting from the official press-release but AUSBT has been pretty consistent in saying that VA's The Business product is the leading J class across the Pacific and most people would say that is currently true.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
PA515
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:38 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
BNE-LAX reduces from 7 to 6 weekly with one or two services each way also having a timing change.


Will be interesting to see how the Sat LAX-BNE 1115/1815 daylight flight goes as there will be limited connecting pax. Some years back Air NZ had up to three seasonal LAX-AKL daylight flights with the 744, which departed LAX about 1230. Good for aircraft utilisation, but they were eventually dropped for overnight both ways. With pax to/from the Eastern US now transitting DFW and IAH, then maybe the same connections via LAX are less important now.

PA515
 
smi0006
Posts: 2569
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:40 am

HU starting, Beijing capital starting, AI increase, VA increase, QF increase, MU increase, CA increase, EK shuffle out of off peak, with only JQ reducing NRT- MEL will be bursting in the peaks!
 
gardermoen
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 1999 9:52 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:57 am

smi0006 wrote:
HU starting, Beijing capital starting, AI increase, VA increase, QF increase, MU increase, CA increase, EK shuffle out of off peak, with only JQ reducing NRT- MEL will be bursting in the peaks!


Thing is, it absolutely already is. Between about 0600-1000, gate space is already crazy, and recently when I went to fetch the folks who got off an MH 330 at 7am, they had to be bussed to the terminal.It took them well over 90 minutes to make it to the arrivals area.

I really hope they are investing in more busses in the short term, as I really don't know what the longer term strategy is in terms of contact gates.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:06 am

smi0006 wrote:
HU starting, Beijing capital starting, AI increase, VA increase, QF increase, MU increase, CA increase, EK shuffle out of off peak, with only JQ reducing NRT- MEL will be bursting in the peaks!

MEL is already bursting at the peaks with significant bussing required from remote stands. Inbound immigration is a zoo. There was a brief but fairly vague announcement over a year ago regarding the redevelopment of T2 but nothing came of it.

Realistically, Melbourne Airport needs to combine T2 and T3 into a completely new international terminal including a new concourse where the existing T3 concourse is and build a new terminal, probably south of T4, for VA. VA has expressed their dissatisfaction with T3 saying it is their worst terminal in Australia despite being their second busiest. A redevelopment like this would also probably require some form of automated rail service linking the terminals over a facility more than 1km in length.

Lyell Strambi as been CEO at MEL for about a year but there have been few announcements in that time regarding significant future developments.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
gardermoen
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 1999 9:52 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:20 am

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
HU starting, Beijing capital starting, AI increase, VA increase, QF increase, MU increase, CA increase, EK shuffle out of off peak, with only JQ reducing NRT- MEL will be bursting in the peaks!

MEL is already bursting at the peaks with significant bussing required from remote stands. Inbound immigration is a zoo. There was a brief but fairly vague announcement over a year ago regarding the redevelopment of T2 but nothing came of it.

Realistically, Melbourne Airport needs to combine T2 and T3 into a completely new international terminal including a new concourse where the existing T3 concourse is and build a new terminal, probably south of T4, for VA. VA has expressed their dissatisfaction with T3 saying it is their worst terminal in Australia despite being their second busiest. A redevelopment like this would also probably require some form of automated rail service linking the terminals over a facility more than 1km in length.

Lyell Strambi as been CEO at MEL for about a year but there have been few announcements in that time regarding significant future developments.


Absolutely agree. A new greenfield-style terminal is probably the only option - they can no longer just extend the international pier further out.
I am truly baffled that all these new services seem to fall in this already over-stretched morning peak window.
Another major bane of mine is the airside-wide announcements that now seem to be non-stop. It's getting ridiculous. Does someone at get 18 really need to hear about the final call for those at gate 1?
High time they stream-lined the announcement process like other major world airports.
 
badseed
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:39 am

MEL is a debacle in the morning peak, and has been for 5+ years now. Frequently there are no gates available. In the long term I recall the plan was for an infield low-cost terminal (well, infield once both 27/09 and 34/16 have been duplicated). From what I've heard, MEL management were banking on the long-overdue plan to allow NZ flights to arrive and depart from the domestic terminals to reduce strain. Given that we've not heard any more about that plan for a couple of years they probably should never have relied on it in the first place!

In the shorter term we're likely to see ever-more expansion down to the south past the new T4. The T2 refurb is still in early concept design, according to some contacts who work with the architects responsible for the airport master-planning. Proper plans for public release and consultation late in this financial year (e.g. March 2017) for tender late next year, and construction starting early 2018 for a 2020/21 completion. So we may need to wait (at leats) another 6 months to see just how radical their plans are. But going by their track record, it'll be more nibbling around the edges.

At the moment the owners are making more and more money from their asset so they'll hold off investment as long as possible.
 
ben175
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:02 am

With VA downgrading more and more coast to coast services back to 737's - it lead me to think why they don't adopt a similar product to Jetblue's Mint and have a small subfleet of 738s with 12 lie-flat J class seats for the Perth runs? From what I hear, the business cabin hardly ever goes out completely full these days. That way, all the A330's can be moved over to international and VA can trump QF and offer a bigger frequency on the domestic routes, attracting more business pax. A drop in capacity could be counteracted by an increase in frequency.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:32 am

VA schedule changes as reported by airlineroute

eff 4 Apr 17
VA023 MEL1130 – 0900LAX 77W x35
VA024 LAX2110 – 0600+2MEL 77W x13

eff 8 Apr 17
VA007 BNE1050 – 0655LAX 77W x7
VA009 BNE2130 – 1735LAX 77W 7

VA006 LAX1115 – 1815+1BNE 77W 6
VA008 LAX2350 – 0650+2BNE 77W x6

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... pril-2017/

existing 3 weekly Sydney – Abu Dhabi service will be cancelled from 07FEB17

eff 9 Jun 17
VA011 PER2305 – 0635+1AUH 332 257
VA012 AUH0820 – 2325PER 332 136

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... from-2017/

So with the SYD-AUH being axed in Feb and the LAX changes take effect in April will there be a 77W in maintenance?
Forum Moderator
 
Gemuser
Posts: 5084
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:47 am

Bluebird191 wrote:
Why not change the timing of 6x weekly services - will give a point of differentiation from QF and their 744 flights with QF15/16, and will have more incentive for travellers to use that flight if they want to properly start or finish their USA holiday/trip in LA.

VA tried that when they first started LAX, didn't work and they changed to a similar timetable as all the other airlines. QF, PA & AA, at least, have tried alternative times over the decades and have always returned to the mid morning/early afternoon from Australia and later night departure from LAX..

Gemuser
 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:51 am

I wonder what VA is trying to achive in PER? The market is tanking, will EY reduce their AUH schedule to compensate for this? I´m a Perth guy, so don´t get me wrong, but I do wonder about the business sence of it all at present in the depressed WA climate, unless EY has schedule change plans in line with VA´s plans.
some you lose, others you can´t win!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:23 am

cougar15 wrote:
I wonder what VA is trying to achive in PER? The market is tanking, will EY reduce their AUH schedule to compensate for this? I´m a Perth guy, so don´t get me wrong, but I do wonder about the business sence of it all at present in the depressed WA climate, unless EY has schedule change plans in line with VA´s plans.


Being from Perth myself I also wonder what VA are trying to achieve here as well. When I read this morning that VA would be flying 3 times a week to AUH from PER I thought this would lead to over capacity in the market especially when we have only recently seen EY upgrade from A332 to 789 and EK has gone double daily A388's. It will be very interesting to see how VA performs on this route considering their outbound flight from PER is timed around EK ad QR departure times as well. It had been said on here before by many others that VA should just not fly to AUH and just leave it to EY. VA seems hell bent on flying to AUH and because they need the 77W for the US their only option was to fly from PER.

It looks like EY wont be cutting frequency

From mid-2017, business and leisure travellers on the Perth route will enjoy the convenience of 10 weekly non-stop flights to our Abu Dhabi hub and seamless connectivity to more than 55 cities across Etihad Airways’ global network.”


http://www.tradearabia.com/news/TTN_313779.html
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:59 am

qf789 wrote:
cougar15 wrote:
I wonder what VA is trying to achive in PER? The market is tanking, will EY reduce their AUH schedule to compensate for this? I´m a Perth guy, so don´t get me wrong, but I do wonder about the business sence of it all at present in the depressed WA climate, unless EY has schedule change plans in line with VA´s plans.


Being from Perth myself I also wonder what VA are trying to achieve here as well. When I read this morning that VA would be flying 3 times a week to AUH from PER I thought this would lead to over capacity in the market especially when we have only recently seen EY upgrade from A332 to 789 and EK has gone double daily A388's. It will be very interesting to see how VA performs on this route considering their outbound flight from PER is timed around EK ad QR departure times as well. It had been said on here before by many others that VA should just not fly to AUH and just leave it to EY. VA seems hell bent on flying to AUH and because they need the 77W for the US their only option was to fly from PER.

It looks like EY wont be cutting frequency

From mid-2017, business and leisure travellers on the Perth route will enjoy the convenience of 10 weekly non-stop flights to our Abu Dhabi hub and seamless connectivity to more than 55 cities across Etihad Airways’ global network.”


http://www.tradearabia.com/news/TTN_313779.html



all very interesting indeed, oh well, with me based in Frankfurt, I guess the fares will bennefit, so I won´t complain. On that note, do VA´s 332´s have crew rests, it is a very long flight?
some you lose, others you can´t win!
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 800
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:42 am

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
HU starting, Beijing capital starting, AI increase, VA increase, QF increase, MU increase, CA increase, EK shuffle out of off peak, with only JQ reducing NRT- MEL will be bursting in the peaks!

MEL is already bursting at the peaks with significant bussing required from remote stands. Inbound immigration is a zoo. There was a brief but fairly vague announcement over a year ago regarding the redevelopment of T2 but nothing came of it.

Realistically, Melbourne Airport needs to combine T2 and T3 into a completely new international terminal including a new concourse where the existing T3 concourse is and build a new terminal, probably south of T4, for VA. VA has expressed their dissatisfaction with T3 saying it is their worst terminal in Australia despite being their second busiest. A redevelopment like this would also probably require some form of automated rail service linking the terminals over a facility more than 1km in length.

Lyell Strambi as been CEO at MEL for about a year but there have been few announcements in that time regarding significant future developments.


Last yeah my wife and son and I flew out to Fiji with VA from International terminal we went down stairs and was bussed over to the VA finger between terminals 2 and 4 to board our flight from there. MEL is bursting in peak morning and night time I saw a Philippines Airlines A330 wait nearly 30 minutes to get into a gate, most of the remote parking stands were full with Royal Brunei 787 parked up on the far corner, the one you turn onto just before entering RWY 16. I agree with you on combining terminals 2 and 3 even inside the terminal 2 its not very appealing it could do with being gutted and completely redone with new shops, dining, carpets, Sydney's international terminal is much much nicer looking inside than Melbourne's. Outside immigration where passengers walk through the doors to meet their family's or loved ones coming to collect them, that needs to be gutted and started again it is such an ugly cold sterile place, there is lots that can be done out at Melbourne but you are right have not heard a thing about the future at Melbourne Airport.
 
sealand
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:48 am

It is quite evident with this slew of changes, VA is still working very closely with EY even though EY is now the second smallest shareholder among the 4 large investors. These changes will benefit EY and it's Abu Dhabi hub more with the launch of PER-AUH by VA and siphone traffic from SQ and it's SIN hub.

As for SQ, I don't know what they see in VA. Other than interline and codeshare agreements, I don't see them working together on a network point of view. They don't need to invest in an airline to get codeshare agreements. SQ had a chance on a controlling stake in VA yet they gave up the chance. And SQ don't work with VA closely to create network synergies. SQ's laissez-faire attitude towards it's investments are hurting themselves. No wonder all their overseas investments are a dud. Even VA is working with HA on their new HKG route.
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 800
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:52 am

atal17 wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:
atal17 wrote:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-to-launch-melbourne-los-angeles-flights

BREAKING: Virgin Australia to resume Melbourne - Los Angeles from April 2017, will end Sydney - Abu Dhabi, and launch Perth - Abu Dhabi with the Airbus A330 from 09JUN17


BNE-LAX reduces from 7 to 6 weekly with one or two services each way also having a timing change.


http://blog.virginaustralia.com/news-an ... bi-flights

* Sydney - Abu Dhabi CANCELLED from 04FEB17
* Brisbane - Los Angeles reduced to 6pw from 07APR17


I have always wondered what is there in Abu Dharbi to see and what sort of business was there between Sydney and Abu Dhabi?
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3386
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Certainly a big day of Aviation news today across the country.

All 4 major gateways had news in some way, good and bad.

SYD
- VA cancels 3 x weekly AUH
- EY replaces those 3 x weekly with its own services to AUH
- AI reported to be increasing DEL from 4 x weekly to 5 x weekly

MEL
- VA announces 5 x weekly LAX
- AI reported to be increasing DEL from 3 x weekly to 5 x weekly

BNE
- VA drops a frequency to LAX, moving from daily to 6 x weekly

PER
- VA announces 3 x weekly to AUH

Flyingsottsman wrote:
atal17 wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:

BNE-LAX reduces from 7 to 6 weekly with one or two services each way also having a timing change.


http://blog.virginaustralia.com/news-an ... bi-flights

* Sydney - Abu Dhabi CANCELLED from 04FEB17
* Brisbane - Los Angeles reduced to 6pw from 07APR17


I have always wondered what is there in Abu Dharbi to see and what sort of business was there between Sydney and Abu Dhabi?


Abu Dhabi is a growing tourism and business hub but has a long way to go to catch its neighbouring emirate Dubai.

I'm not sure why VA feels the need to service AUH as EY seem to have enough coverage and ability to expand themselves if they need it. There seems to be better uses for the VA capacity though than continuing to fly there, whether it's from SYD or PER.
 
sealand
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:10 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
Certainly a big day of Aviation news today across the country.

All 4 major gateways had news in some way, good and bad.

SYD
- VA cancels 3 x weekly AUH
- EY replaces those 3 x weekly with its own services to AUH
- AI reported to be increasing DEL from 4 x weekly to 5 x weekly

MEL
- VA announces 5 x weekly LAX
- AI reported to be increasing DEL from 3 x weekly to 5 x weekly

BNE
- VA drops a frequency to LAX, moving from daily to 6 x weekly

PER
- VA announces 3 x weekly to AUH

And not to forget SQ starts international ops at CBR!
 
kriskim
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Flyingsottsman wrote:
Last yeah my wife and son and I flew out to Fiji with VA from International terminal we went down stairs and was bussed over to the VA finger between terminals 2 and 4 to board our flight from there. MEL is bursting in peak morning and night time I saw a Philippines Airlines A330 wait nearly 30 minutes to get into a gate, most of the remote parking stands were full with Royal Brunei 787 parked up on the far corner, the one you turn onto just before entering RWY 16. I agree with you on combining terminals 2 and 3 even inside the terminal 2 its not very appealing it could do with being gutted and completely redone with new shops, dining, carpets, Sydney's international terminal is much much nicer looking inside than Melbourne's. Outside immigration where passengers walk through the doors to meet their family's or loved ones coming to collect them, that needs to be gutted and started again it is such an ugly cold sterile place, there is lots that can be done out at Melbourne but you are right have not heard a thing about the future at Melbourne Airport.


T2 airside will be completely gutted, new duty free concept store, luxury brands are also joining existing retailers. Works have already started so stay tuned!
A world built upon connectivity.
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Good on VA for trying something. If you're going to spend all that money upgrading, you need to go where the yield is to get some sort of ROI. It would have made more sense to drop BNE to 5x and make MEL daily. I wonder if UA will entertain the idea of switching its MEL flights to SFO.

The problem for VA in HKG is finding suitable and financially viable slots at HKG.

Interestingly, I just noticed QF finally got better Saturday slots in HKG for its QF117/118 service for NW16/17. Starting 3DEC16,

QF117 - SYD0820 - HKG1445
QF118 - HKG1845 - SYD0715+1
I'm that bad type.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Inaugural SQ flight to CBR is in the air, operated by 9V-SRP

http://www.flightradar24.com/SIA291/b0fe0d4
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas16
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:36 pm

getluv wrote:
Good on VA for trying something. If you're going to spend all that money upgrading, you need to go where the yield is to get some sort of ROI. It would have made more sense to drop BNE to 5x and make MEL daily.


Why? They decided a few years ago that BNE was the more important/better market for them to operate LAX from. MEL is almost definitely a larger O&D network but those flights can carry a lot of connecting traffic both domestically and on their regional network (HIR, POM, DPS, NAD, NZ), all of which is better served from BNE. IIRC there is also issues with the aircraft and being able to make it all the way to LAX with a full load (inc freight).

It makes more sense to operate MEL-LAX than SYD-AUH but I am unsure why they feel the need to operate PER-AUH 3x weekly, this seems to just be to utilise aircraft that are otherwise flying half-empty across Australia.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2569
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:35 am

kriskim wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:
Last yeah my wife and son and I flew out to Fiji with VA from International terminal we went down stairs and was bussed over to the VA finger between terminals 2 and 4 to board our flight from there. MEL is bursting in peak morning and night time I saw a Philippines Airlines A330 wait nearly 30 minutes to get into a gate, most of the remote parking stands were full with Royal Brunei 787 parked up on the far corner, the one you turn onto just before entering RWY 16. I agree with you on combining terminals 2 and 3 even inside the terminal 2 its not very appealing it could do with being gutted and completely redone with new shops, dining, carpets, Sydney's international terminal is much much nicer looking inside than Melbourne's. Outside immigration where passengers walk through the doors to meet their family's or loved ones coming to collect them, that needs to be gutted and started again it is such an ugly cold sterile place, there is lots that can be done out at Melbourne but you are right have not heard a thing about the future at Melbourne Airport.


T2 airside will be completely gutted, new duty free concept store, luxury brands are also joining existing retailers. Works have already started so stay tuned!


T2 airside isn't the problem though - gate availability is, along with T2 Landside (zoo, insufficient checkin counters) and arrivals. Prime expamole of how Melbourne airport is investing in the wrong area - luxury duty free maybe good for a certain demographic of pax, but doesn't solve the operational issues. They will come to a head at some point eg: weather disrupt with no gates, counter to handle pax, baggage system crash, border congestion and crew will run out of hours and it will grind to a awful stop. But duty free will look nice ;)
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:39 am

Qantas16 wrote:
getluv wrote:
Good on VA for trying something. If you're going to spend all that money upgrading, you need to go where the yield is to get some sort of ROI. It would have made more sense to drop BNE to 5x and make MEL daily.


Why? They decided a few years ago that BNE was the more important/better market for them to operate LAX from. MEL is almost definitely a larger O&D network but those flights can carry a lot of connecting traffic both domestically and on their regional network (HIR, POM, DPS, NAD, NZ), all of which is better served from BNE. IIRC there is also issues with the aircraft and being able to make it all the way to LAX with a full load (inc freight).

It makes more sense to operate MEL-LAX than SYD-AUH but I am unsure why they feel the need to operate PER-AUH 3x weekly, this seems to just be to utilise aircraft that are otherwise flying half-empty across Australia.


Any connecting passengers from HIR, POM, DPS and NAD would be negligible at best.
I'm that bad type.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:37 am

getluv wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
getluv wrote:
Good on VA for trying something. If you're going to spend all that money upgrading, you need to go where the yield is to get some sort of ROI. It would have made more sense to drop BNE to 5x and make MEL daily.


Why? They decided a few years ago that BNE was the more important/better market for them to operate LAX from. MEL is almost definitely a larger O&D network but those flights can carry a lot of connecting traffic both domestically and on their regional network (HIR, POM, DPS, NAD, NZ), all of which is better served from BNE. IIRC there is also issues with the aircraft and being able to make it all the way to LAX with a full load (inc freight).

It makes more sense to operate MEL-LAX than SYD-AUH but I am unsure why they feel the need to operate PER-AUH 3x weekly, this seems to just be to utilise aircraft that are otherwise flying half-empty across Australia.


Any connecting passengers from HIR, POM, DPS and NAD would be negligible at best.


Sure, it's not a huge market but it does help feed both flights, particularly POM. Combined with the other factors I mentioned that you didn't respond to, is evidently enough for VA to have chosen BNE over MEL a few years ago and continue to by offering a higher frequency from BNE.
 
Sydscott
Posts: 3513
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:50 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:46 am

smi0006 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:
Last yeah my wife and son and I flew out to Fiji with VA from International terminal we went down stairs and was bussed over to the VA finger between terminals 2 and 4 to board our flight from there. MEL is bursting in peak morning and night time I saw a Philippines Airlines A330 wait nearly 30 minutes to get into a gate, most of the remote parking stands were full with Royal Brunei 787 parked up on the far corner, the one you turn onto just before entering RWY 16. I agree with you on combining terminals 2 and 3 even inside the terminal 2 its not very appealing it could do with being gutted and completely redone with new shops, dining, carpets, Sydney's international terminal is much much nicer looking inside than Melbourne's. Outside immigration where passengers walk through the doors to meet their family's or loved ones coming to collect them, that needs to be gutted and started again it is such an ugly cold sterile place, there is lots that can be done out at Melbourne but you are right have not heard a thing about the future at Melbourne Airport.


T2 airside will be completely gutted, new duty free concept store, luxury brands are also joining existing retailers. Works have already started so stay tuned!


T2 airside isn't the problem though - gate availability is, along with T2 Landside (zoo, insufficient checkin counters) and arrivals. Prime expamole of how Melbourne airport is investing in the wrong area - luxury duty free maybe good for a certain demographic of pax, but doesn't solve the operational issues. They will come to a head at some point eg: weather disrupt with no gates, counter to handle pax, baggage system crash, border congestion and crew will run out of hours and it will grind to a awful stop. But duty free will look nice ;)


People can always fly into Sydney. I came in on QF from San Fran 3 weeks ago and my time from wheels down to taxi queue was exactly 25 minutes. (My bag being 1 of the first out thanks to a business upgrade helped) And thanks to the truck rollover under the Eastern Distributor I was home in 40 mins. A new record. So if the people from MEL are having difficulty they could always transit through SYD................;-) hahahhaahha
 
Thai77w
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:54 am

Thais further delayed A350 service to MEL. Now scheduled to start 01 October 2016 on TG465/466


TG461/462 remains 777 equip through to the 28th October when the season schedule changes.

Personally if it shows up before the end of October I'll be surprised ;)
Aircraft types I've been on: PA31,Q300,AT75,AT76,717,733,738,739ER,763,772,77E,773,77W,788,789,744,319,320,332,333,346,359,380
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:41 am

PX is flagging a reduce in Australian services if new codeshare deal with QF is rejected

Air Niugini says it may be forced to withdraw from Sydney and downgrade its Brisbane flights from widebody to narrowbody aircraft should the proposed new codeshare arrangements with Qantas not receive the approval of Australian regulators.


http://australianaviation.com.au/2016/0 ... -rejected/
Forum Moderator
 
747m8te
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:46 am

Qantas16 wrote:
getluv wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Why? They decided a few years ago that BNE was the more important/better market for them to operate LAX from. MEL is almost definitely a larger O&D network but those flights can carry a lot of connecting traffic both domestically and on their regional network (HIR, POM, DPS, NAD, NZ), all of which is better served from BNE. IIRC there is also issues with the aircraft and being able to make it all the way to LAX with a full load (inc freight).

It makes more sense to operate MEL-LAX than SYD-AUH but I am unsure why they feel the need to operate PER-AUH 3x weekly, this seems to just be to utilise aircraft that are otherwise flying half-empty across Australia.


Any connecting passengers from HIR, POM, DPS and NAD would be negligible at best.


Sure, it's not a huge market but it does help feed both flights, particularly POM. Combined with the other factors I mentioned that you didn't respond to, is evidently enough for VA to have chosen BNE over MEL a few years ago and continue to by offering a higher frequency from BNE.


Exactly. Also add into that flying down to Melbourne requires extra back tracking to other destinations around Australia CNS, TSV, MKY, ROK, DRW, NTL, CBR, OOL (sure no flight from BNE to OOL but as a market it is only a short ride on the airtrain away, and much quicker than connecting and flying up from SYD or MEL) ...plus VA have a larger presence to New Zealand from BNE as well.

Don't get me wrong, MEL-LAX is a bigger O&D market, but for connections beyond without excessive backtracking MEL only really has HBA, LST and arguably ADL that would benefit connection wise. And it is more reasonable to expect pax to fly MEL-BNE-LAX as BNE is technically on the way, rather than pax travelling to/from BNE backtracking down to MEL, let alone CNS, TSV, OOL...

Also, transiting MEL is overrated, sure the whole connected terminal idea seems nice, but when the terminals are such a crowded messy depressing dump which they are at the moment and for the foreseeable future, I will take a short transfer bus in SYD or BNE anyday! (and the transfer bus is free for all pax in BNE no matter what airline)... in MEL if you aren't going on QF or VA, T4 is now a long walk to drag your bags!. I worked at Melbourne Airport for a few years (both international and domestic 2008-2010), and have flown through it many many times and have nothing really nice to say about the airport...the lovely city of Melbourne deserves a far better facility!

Another point to think about with VAs original decision to drop MEL-LAX and focus on BNE, is at the time MEL already had competition with QF in the form of UA on the route when VA dropped it, if VA chose to drop BNE-LAX and focus on MEL-LAX, they would have left the route entirely to QF with no competition.
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3386
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:12 pm

^^ Fully agree about the logic behind VA focusing on BNE-LAX at the time. It was a big step to take in some ways but it made strategic sense.

As for connecting at MEL vs SYD/BNE, I still would prefer the intergrated terminal transfer of Tullamarine, especially after a long flight. The arrival experience is often bad at all 3 airports, but do agree that BNE is the best international terminal of the 3.

MEL's natural advantage sits with ADL and Tasmania for transfers, but is still likely a preferred option for PER. CBR is a backtrack but would still not be too bad an option via MEL.

The decision to go back into MEL though does tend to indicate the strength of the market, which their pax data must have pointed towards the importance of coming back non-stop to LAX.

Interesting times.
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
getluv wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Why? They decided a few years ago that BNE was the more important/better market for them to operate LAX from. MEL is almost definitely a larger O&D network but those flights can carry a lot of connecting traffic both domestically and on their regional network (HIR, POM, DPS, NAD, NZ), all of which is better served from BNE. IIRC there is also issues with the aircraft and being able to make it all the way to LAX with a full load (inc freight).

It makes more sense to operate MEL-LAX than SYD-AUH but I am unsure why they feel the need to operate PER-AUH 3x weekly, this seems to just be to utilise aircraft that are otherwise flying half-empty across Australia.


Any connecting passengers from HIR, POM, DPS and NAD would be negligible at best.


Sure, it's not a huge market but it does help feed both flights, particularly POM. Combined with the other factors I mentioned that you didn't respond to, is evidently enough for VA to have chosen BNE over MEL a few years ago and continue to by offering a higher frequency from BNE.


Sorry, I couldn't be bothered. Allow me to expand.

VA's loads to those destinations are shocking. I doubt they're pulling worthwhile number of connecting pax that you're thinking and I doubt its a major factor in route planning, IMO, especially when you consider POM-BNE-LAX, is nearly a 20 hour stop over in BNE.

The regional network out of BNE I would understand, but to justify spending all that money on revamping its aircraft, especially in J, you need to go where the yield is. It's why I prefer the switch from SYD-AUH to MEL-LAX. But it's no surprise they decided to drop a BNE-LAX service, rather than just having MEL-LAX 3x a week again [which hardly worked last time].

I don't recall the 777 having issues between MEL-LAX, correct me if I'm wrong. However, I do recall VA cancelling MEL-LAX a couple of months after UA announced direct flights. It was a good business decision at the time to cut MEL and make BNE daily.
I'm that bad type.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1716
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:16 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
MEL's natural advantage sits with ADL and Tasmania for transfers, but is still likely a preferred option for PER. CBR is a backtrack but would still not be too bad an option via MEL.


MEL has one thing over BNE and SYD for Canberrans even despite the backtrack, which is that the international and domestic terminals are under one roof. This feature is very popular with the CBR set!
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:22 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
MEL has one thing over BNE and SYD for Canberrans even despite the backtrack, which is that the international and domestic terminals are under one roof. This feature is very popular with the CBR set!


That used to be an advantage, when MEL wasn't a 24/7 zoo. International facility upgrades have been incremental and are simply not keeping pace with traffic growth. 45 minutes waiting for a gate and regular shuttles to very very remote stands in MElbourne weather really do try the patience, but the disastrous arrivals hall (and increasingly the departures processing) makes it a pretty shoddy experience for a first worls facility. It seems management is taking a leaf out of AKL's book.

The Virgin reintroduction of MEL-LAX is long overdue. I've twice done the MEL-BNE-LAX service and each time just about missed the domestic flight because the relevant checkin counters were woefully udnerstaffed. It was only with kicking up a stink did anything change. And both times I met passengers on the BNE-LAX leg who had been denied at checkin in MEL because,despite waiting in line for 45 minutes, they were unable to make the 30 minute cut off for checkin. Total balls up.

VA needs to seriously lift its game on long-haul - hopefully with this move they will.
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3939
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:37 am

Canberra International Airport's first Singapore Airlines flights open ACT to the world, Claire Sibthorpe, September 21, 2016.

Singapore Airlines' long-anticipated Capital Express route, made history Wednesday morning as its first flight landed at Canberra International Airport.

Excerpt from the article:

"Its arrival marked the first time Canberra held regular international flights since Air Pacific's brief service of flights to Fiji in 2004. The 266-seat Boeing 777-200 was eager for the special occasion, arriving from Singapore nearly half an hour before its scheduled 8.35am arrival. Crowds gathered around the window as flight SQ291 - which was about 95 per cent full - touched down on the runway, toasting champagne glasses as the plane rolled under ceremonial water cannons fired from waiting fire trucks.

After a short hour-and-a-half stopover, the re-fuelled and re-packed aircraft took off for the second half of its Capital Express route, heading across the ditch to the New Zealand capital Wellington. Again there were a few seats spare. Canberra Airport managing director Stephen Byron said sales for the four round trips a week had been "strong" through until Christmas.

He said his family had envisioned Friday's historic moment at Canberra since his father Terry Snow bought the dilapidated airport in the late 1990s with a goal to create the world's best small airport. "We are [the NSW region's] only curfew-free international airport," he said. "We can be an airport where there are no issues with slots, no bilateral restrictions, an airport where there are no delays getting to your gate."

Mr Byron said the airport had the capacity to double its passenger numbers. Singapore Airlines' executive vice president Mak Swee Wah said the airline would "definitely build the service up" to a daily route if it met demand. ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said this was the government's next priority for the international airport, while its medium-term goal was to expand the airport to other low-cost carriers.

The ACT government has announced two rapid buses will go directly to Canberra Airport from 2020 – one from Belconnen via the city, and the other from Lanyon - Mr Barr said he was working with the airport to expand transport options as demand increases.

"There is already an existing airport bus service which is privately operated which we need to be conscious of," he said.

New Zealand high commissioner Chris Seed said the linkage of Canberra and Wellington would fasten the ties between the similar capital cities.

Customers travelling from Canberra to either Wellington or Singapore will have access to the Virgin Australia Lounge, but those transiting in the capital would not.

The Australian Federal Police said officers had been training for months to ensure to safety of the international airport."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... rkwm7.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My photo contributions of the day, albeit very wet!

Image

Image


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canberra Airport welcomes inaugural Singapore Airlines service, September 21, 2016 by Gerard Frawley. Source: Australian Aviation

From the article:

"The first scheduled international passenger service to Canberra in more than a decade has landed. Canberra Airport welcomed the arrival of Singapore Airlines’ (SIA) inaugural service with an Airservices Aviation Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) monitor cross on Wednesday morning. Flight SQ291, operated by Boeing 777-200 9V-SRP, touched down in the nation’s capital a little after 0810, after a seven-hour journey from Singapore, marking Canberra’s first scheduled international service since the short-lived Air Pacific (now Fiji Airways) flights to Nadi in 2004.

"The return flight SQ292 from Wellington was in turn scheduled to arrive back in Canberra at 2205, with a departure for Singapore an hour and 25 minutes later at 2330. The Singapore-Canberra-Wellington rotation, which the airline dubs the “Capital Express”, is due to operate four times a week with 777-200s configured with 38 angled lie-flat business class and 228 economy class seats. “The bookings are strong for people coming from New Zealand to Canberra,” Byron said. Canberra is SIA’s sixth destination in Australia alongside Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. The airline group’s regional wing Silkair also serves Cairns and Darwin with narrowbody equipment."

http://australianaviation.com.au/2016/0 ... s-service/
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 145

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:50 am

As someone who has done the INT-DOM transfer both ways many times (albeit using QF), I find the transfer experience at SYD to be no big issue.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos