Cointrin330
Topic Author

Turkish Airlines

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:02 am

Does anyone know or have stats on how they are faring? A significant part of their business model is to transit passengers through Istanbul (Ataturk, principally). Have they been cutting capacity, and what's the latest on their TATL flights from their US gateways?

qf789

Re: Turkish Airlines

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:01 am

Due to events in Turkey in recent months TK has cut capacity on a lot of routes, refer to links below

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... ht=Turkish

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... ht=turkish
Forum Moderator

Cipango

Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:44 am

They have stopped offering Turkish Delights on all flights and Menu Cards on shorter flights.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Beatyair

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:00 pm

Turkey's political unrest has to be taking a bit out of the airlines.

VS4ever

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Worth checking out the Turkish Aviation thread, might give you a lot of the information you are looking for

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1341941
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

TK787

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:34 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Worth checking out the Turkish Aviation thread, might give you a lot of the information you are looking for

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1341941

Great idea :)
So far, not a whole lot of drastic changes but let's see what happens by the end of the year.
By the way, during last week's religious holiday IST had record number of pax; around 1478 plane movements and 157,000 pax on Sept.18th.
Also, only 33% of TK traffic is International to International traffic. I don't know if you would call that a "transfer hub"? Not yet.

ALAfly

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Does anyone know or have stats on how they are faring?

From Europe via IST to ALA have always payed min +/- 800$. But a week ago I booked it for good 46% less then usual. Don't know if it's cause have more weekends in-between as usual before.
But to my opinion the price is not mandatory as the service on TK is far better then other top Carriers in Europe.

incitatus

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:34 pm

TK787 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
By the way, during last week's religious holiday IST had record number of pax; around 1478 plane movements and 157,000 pax on Sept.18th.
Also, only 33% of TK traffic is International to International traffic. I don't know if you would call that a "transfer hub"? Not yet.

Unless you clarify what the 33% figure is, we cannot really tell its meaning.

Is it counting people? If so, is it 33% of TK passengers or is it 33% of TK boardings? These are different metrics because connecting passengers board at least twice.

Is it 33% of RPKs?

If it is a passenger count, keep in mind long-haul international is usually much higher ticket prices, so 33% of passengers may be a big share of revenue.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

TK787

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:33 pm

incitatus wrote:
TK787 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Unless you clarify what the 33% figure is, we cannot really tell its meaning.

Is it counting people? If so, is it 33% of TK passengers or is it 33% of TK boardings? These are different metrics because connecting passengers board at least twice.

Is it 33% of RPKs?

If it is a passenger count, keep in mind long-haul international is usually much higher ticket prices, so 33% of passengers may be a big share of revenue.

I am not a financial analyst. Maybe you can make better sense of these 1st Half 2016 numbers from the TK website:
http://investor.turkishairlines.com/doc ... H16_vF.pdf

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos