GSPSPOT
Topic Author

New Frontline AA Uniforms

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:21 pm

Did a quick search & didn't find anything:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 32199.html

No pictures though. :(

Edit: Oops! Found a link with pics: http://theforwardcabin.com/2015/12/17/c ... s-uniform/
Overall, I like it. Esp. the men's ties!
Great Lakes, great life.

Tan Flyr

Re: New Frontline AA Uniforms

Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:59 pm

Not bad, But I think there should be some variation in the color of the men's ties..ie: a same pattern but with red, silver , and a darker blue for winter, the lighter for summer.

Acey559

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:05 pm

If anyone has instagram, AA posted a ton of pictures of the new uniforms there. I imagine they probably did something similar with Facebook as well.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

usflyer msp

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:59 pm

To me, they pretty much look like the L-US uniforms. I did not even notice the new uniforms the other day because of that...

intotheair

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Wow, someone managed to design something even blander than the new UA uniforms.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

TWA1985

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:16 pm

intotheair wrote:

I agree! The uniform is seriously lacking in color ... aka the Delta red dress.
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

jetmatt777

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Saw them in person in Charlotte the other day, they were having a photo shoot in the main concourse food court area.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

LH748

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:21 pm

The men's uniforms look alright, nothing spectacular but solid, humble, and fairly elegant.
The women's uniforms are not nice at all. First of all, the scarf looks cheap and is simply too big. The uniform as such is lacking some highlight; it simply looks dull in my opinion. The scarf is supposed to be the colorful spot but that completely backfires as it attracts all the attention, making its unfortunate size even worse. The black dress has way too many buttons as if someone with a button fetish designed it. All in all, I am fairly disappointed.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

lebda

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:55 pm

The blue coat in the first picture is pretty cool and I like the dress with the buttons down the front. But I don't really understand why most airlines in America have such somber looking uniforms. If they went with blue and red to synchronize with their livery, it would look a lot better. It still looks nice, though.
Last edited by lebda on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denver Tower: Gulfstream 592, you’re cleared to 9,000 feet. For a vector to Hector, contact the sector director.

smi0006

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:58 pm

I disagree I think they look great!

A huge improvement. Professional, and stylish. No EY or AZ, but that doesn't fit their brand either. Doesn't need huge amount of colour to be stylish. Nice bags for them too, keeps the uniformity.

Still think ladies need to pull their hair back! Keep it out of the food!! I find it odd in a food ha fleeing environment, not to mention safety (smoothies etc) They aren't required to have it in a ponytail at least. Would look far more professional.

Notice a few Instagram pics of ladies with red shoes, fun. Is it the new standard, or rebel crew?

ardian

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:28 am

It's fine and definitely suits their brand. I'd ditch the vest as it downgrades an otherwise very professional uniform. Next to that; slip-on shoes for the male FA's?! Chelsea boots for the male pilots and ground staff?! Those are some peculiar fashion choices. A simple but sophisticated Oxford shoe would be so much better and more stylish.

seat1a

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:47 am

Nice uniforms, simple, elegant. What's with picture #6 with the tail of an AA jet in the background?
Last edited by seat1a on Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UALFAson

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:30 am

I have flown AA on several flights this week and think the new uniforms looks great! The shade of dark charcoal grey is very contemporary and the cuts of the jackets are very modern. The blouses and shirts are actually a very small gingham/plaid pattern, which gives them a polished, higher end look.

Although I like the red, white, and silver scarves worn by the ground staff, I think, I will agree that the FA scarf with its shades of red and blue is not particularly attractive and looks like something leftover from US.

And I am digging the red shoes some FAs are wearing! They actually coordinate very well and provide a fun pop of color!
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

ckfred

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:59 am

I've read comments that because of the dark colors (also described as bland and sober), that crew tend to blend in. Thirty years ago, I would agree with that. But, people don't dress up to get on an airplane. Even business travelers are often dressed business casual. My wife works for a Fortune 500 company, and vice presidents wear open-collar dress shirts and Dockers. About the only people who are dressed in power suits are the very senior people from New York.

Personally, I still wear a blue blazer, when I fly, simply because having a jacket with four pockets comes in handy. But, I haven't worn a dress shirt and tie in 10 years.

That said, I am a bit surprised that AA has gone with gray. AA has had various shades of blue for both F/As and pilots as long as anyone can remember. I have pictures of my first plane ride back in 1963 (O'Hare to Joplin, MO with a stop in St. Louis on a CV-240). The F/As were wearing powder blue uniforms, while the pilots were in a dark postman blue.

In the 70s, the F/A uniforms were primarily blue, but a white sailor jacket was an option, and a red vest was optional.

The uniform that I like is the BA uniform. While it's dark blue, the women have the overseas hats for wearing while walking through the terminal and for boarding and deplaning. Although, I'm sure that F/As at both mainline and Envoy don't want to deal with the hat multiple times a day.

jsnww81

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:56 am

I came into LAX tonight (on an American Eagle flight, so my crew was wearing the Compass uniform) but Terminal 4 was full of crews and agents wearing the new uniform. The uniforms themselves are just OK looking, but I find the wings on the flight attendants - which incorporate the new Flight Symbol - to be very sharp looking. The nametags look good.

smi0006 wrote:
Still think ladies need to pull their hair back! Keep it out of the food!! I find it odd in a food ha fleeing environment, not to mention safety (smoothies etc) They aren't required to have it in a ponytail at least. Would look far more professional.

It'll never happen in a million years at heavily unionized US carriers, but I tend to agree. IMHO the number one thing that makes non-US air crews stand out in an airport terminal is hair. So many female US cabin crew wear it down, while in the rest of the world it's almost standard to wear it up, or at least back. Given the amount of time spent with the head bent down (pouring drinks, looking for things in the galley, etc.) I'm surprised so many of them wear it down where it can get in the way. Still, most of them have been doing the job for many (and in some cases many many MANY) years, so I suppose they know what works for them...

INFINITI329

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Did the wholly owned carriers get the a new uniform as well?

chepos

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:14 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
Did the wholly owned carriers get the a new uniform as well?

Yes, they did
Fly the Flag!!!!

superjeff

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:15 pm

I just flew PHL-DFW Wednesday night. I thought the uniforms looked fantastic, a big improvement over both the LUS and LAA uniforms. If they are made well and continue to look this good going forward, it is a big improvement, IMHO.

ozark1

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:16 pm

I was very skeptical as to how they would turn out, but after 20+ years in that nauseating navy I am pleased for the most part. I am especially impressed with the male flight attendant uniform. The blue shirt is such a nice change, it's lighter, more comfortable and looks very classy with the wings and the name bar. I still don't like the new AA logo, but as a pair of wings it looks good. I agree with those that have said the female scarf looks cheap. I think it is all going to depend on how it is worn, but so far I'm trying to get used to it. I thought I would not like the grey but i'm definitely ok with it. The female scarf is the only thing i'm not impressed with.

azjubilee

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:30 pm

jsnww81 wrote:

It'll never happen in a million years at heavily unionized US carriers, but I tend to agree. IMHO the number one thing that makes non-US air crews stand out in an airport terminal is hair. So many female US cabin crew wear it down, while in the rest of the world it's almost standard to wear it up, or at least back. Given the amount of time spent with the head bent down (pouring drinks, looking for things in the galley, etc.) I'm surprised so many of them wear it down where it can get in the way. Still, most of them have been doing the job for many (and in some cases many many MANY) years, so I suppose they know what works for them...

Hawaiian flight attendants seem to buck this trend. They have very strict uniform standards and virtually all of them comply. In fact, when one is wearing their hair out of compliance, they really stand out. They look sharp with their hair pulled back or in a bun with flowers in their hair. At least there's one airline whose FA's still take pride in their uniforms.

On the AA topic... I like it, but it is rather subdue and bland. But as previously mentioned, this does fit the AA brand. They're not exotic, flashy or really doing things differently than the rest of the industry. They're modernizing and improving their onboard product and when the dust settles with the merger, will be a reinvigorated standard US carrier.

winginit

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Most importantly - I will say that they do look practical ie not at all restrictive in a way that detracts from the job at hand, which is what the front line folks were looking for over pure aesthetics. If you talk to cabin and ground crew of carriers with more flashy get ups (QF, EY, etc.) they're quick to complain that they're restrictive during meal service or when things get hectic and you really need to huff it through an airport.

Boeing778X

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:26 pm

I personally love the new uniform. Besides it being a lot cleaner and modern, I find it more comfortable as an FA myself.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

Bridogger6

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:28 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=fb&v=_BWER4P8Oio saw this video one of the agents in DCA made to show off the new uniforms of the ticket and gate staff. Looks like they are having fun and enjoying them!

piedmont762

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:30 pm

intotheair wrote:

The new AA uniforms look like they have way higher quality material than UA's current ones. Smisek naturally cheaped out in paying for the right materials.

LawAndOrder

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:54 pm

winginit wrote:
Most importantly - I will say that they do look practical ie not at all restrictive in a way that detracts from the job at hand, which is what the front line folks were looking for over pure aesthetics. If you talk to cabin and ground crew of carriers with more flashy get ups (QF, EY, etc.) they're quick to complain that they're restrictive during meal service or when things get hectic and you really need to huff it through an airport.

What are they doing aerobics? I find it funny how us Americans need certain things to be "functional" (whatever that means) yet everyone else in the world appear to be doing just fine with a uniform that actually elevates the brand. I know plenty flight attendants across the world that wear more attractive uniforms (Delta included) who never complain about functionality. But hey I guess us Americans love mediocrity. Take me back to the days were people cared about their appearance ala Pan Am.....hopefully Zac Posen adds a little more creativity.

GSPSPOT
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:00 pm

Embarrassing development:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... field.html

AA has apparently had to open a call center to field calls about uniform issues.
Great Lakes, great life.

Rajahdhani

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:38 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
Embarrassing development:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... field.html

AA has apparently had to open a call center to field calls about uniform issues.

"Embarrassing" to whom?

From the article, its clearly evident that both AA and ALPA are working to provide affected members with every option possible. If anything, this presents both as capable, effective, and quick to respond to an immediate, and unforeseen event - providing their employees with every remedy possible, and the most logical and effective path forward. If anything, this spun bad press by effectively shunting it here. If, the manufacturer is at fault, would it not be now justifiable to have said supplier fix the issue, or change suppliers (in a parallel to dropping Zodiac, and going B/E Aerospace for the Business Class Seat - in that, you work as hard as you can to fix the issue with the original supplier, and if you have to go elsewhere, you make a choice that is easily 'off the shelf', but already tested as popular, durable, and workable). In that same vien, keep the uniforms you have (work with the manufacuturer to figure out the problem), allow the older uniforms until you can figure out what is going on with the new ones, and if necessary - allow flight attendants to find alternatives that are popular, durable, and workable (aka easily available at almost all retailers, and coming from more varied supply chains making them both easily available, and from alternate supply chains thus effectively eliminating, via this option, dyes, fabrics, and cleaners used in production of the new uniforms, to be ruled out for the population that chose this option).

If they follow a similar course - then a boon would be a similarly positive outcome for AA. Their current Business Class product was refined, in the face of a crisis - to create something that was much more effective and better received by passengers. That, was in response to a crisis that could not be overcome with that supplier. I doubt that the same can be said for this case, but just in case, they have an example of how they have been successful in the past - and, are in great shape to fix the current issue.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2016/10/07/american-airlines-opening-call-center-to-field.html

Sources characterized the talks as "productive."

In the wake of that meeting, American Airlines management said it will set up the call center. If flight attendants contact the call center, they will be told of four options they have if there are problems with the new uniforms. They can continue to wear the new uniforms, or they can return to wearing their old uniforms until concerns about the uniforms are resolved. A third option for the attendants is to purchase charcoal grey pants and a white shirt on their own if their old uniforms already have been discarded, while a fourth option is to obtain second-hand old uniforms turned in by other flight attendants.

AA management also has agreed to send out the new uniforms for further testing to a facility of APFA's choosing. APFA plans to carry out its own testing, independent of AA's further testing, as well.

GSPSPOT
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:53 pm

An awful lot of hullabaloo (not in a good way) for new uniforms. Weren't these test-worn already?
Great Lakes, great life.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos