Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1900Driver
Topic Author

Air Canada to Make Major YUL Announcement

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Media Advisory - Air Canada to Make Major Montreal Announcement

MONTREAL, Sept. 22, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - On the occasion of the visit to Canada by the Premier of China, Air Canada invites the media to attend a press conference in Montreal for a major announcement concerning air service to China.

[url]
http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1059[/url]

Wow this is getting interesting!

Quantos

Re: Air Canada to Make Major YUL Announcement

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:11 pm

I'm guessing mainline YUL-PEK, which I believe is only run on a codeshare with Air China at the moment?
Quantos,

I maintain the Airbus A220 (formerly Bombardier C Series) Aircraft Status sheet: https://goo.gl/HZshto
Feel free to comment on the sheet with any improvement suggestions and data update requests! Thanks to Paolo92 for his advice!

a380787

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:14 pm

I agree AC YUL-PEK would be the expectation. If they're really crazy, they would simultaneously launch year-round YUL-PEK and summer seasonal YUL-PVG.

Other potential candidates would include AC YYC-PEK or even YVR to some sort of secondary China.

Noise

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Didn't Air China make an application to fly YUL-PVG last year?

Noise

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:23 pm

Thenoflyzone

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:21 pm

my money is on YUL-PEK, 3x weekly, to compliment's CA's 4x weekly service and make it a daily affair to Beijing.

AC has come a long way at YUL in the last 10 years. And to think they only served LHR, FRA and CDG back in 2008. Now we are in the double digit international destinations out of YUL, and counting....
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

hayzel777

Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:19 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
my money is on YUL-PEK, 3x weekly, to compliment's CA's 4x weekly service and make it a daily affair to Beijing.

AC has come a long way at YUL in the last 10 years. And to think they only served LHR, FRA and CDG back in 2008. Now we are in the double digit international destinations out of YUL, and counting....

CA decreased it to 3x PEK-YUL and 1x YUL-Havana.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:05 am

hayzel777 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

CA decreased it to 3x PEK-YUL and 1x YUL-Havana.

No. YUL-PEK increases to 4x weekly as of Oct 30th. YUL-HAV is already down to 1 weekly.

CA879 PEK1310 – 1305YUL 77W x136
CA880 YUL1505 – 1805+1PEK 77W x135

As for HAV.

CA879 PEK1310 – 1305YUL1620 – 2015HAV 77W 5
CA880 HAV0900 – 1230YUL1505 – 1805+1PEK 77W 6

So I'm expecting AC to operate to PEK on the remaining days with no current service to PEK, namely monday, wednesday and friday.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Thenoflyzone

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:57 am

I'd be awesome if they announce both PEK and PVG. After all, they are saying it's a MAJOR announcement. 3x weekly service to a destination already served doesn't seem major enough to me.

With Chinese carriers completely maxed out on the bilateral with Canada (save for a few slots held by HU), this is AC's chance to step up and establish itself in the next logical unserved markets.

NichCage

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:30 am

Montreal to China is actually a very good market- before Air China started Montreal service there was quite a bit of demand to China. I would bet on Air Canada YUL-PEK, as well as Air China on PVG-YUL (as they actually applied for the route).

Thenoflyzone

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:47 am

NichCage wrote:
Montreal to China is actually a very good market- before Air China started Montreal service there was quite a bit of demand to China. I would bet on Air Canada YUL-PEK, as well as Air China on PVG-YUL (as they actually applied for the route).

Air China cannot launch PVG-YUL. Chinese carriers have maxed out their frequency allocations to Canada.

If anyone is going to launch YUL-PVG, it's AC.

sixtyseven

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:13 am

Could it be that YUL-PVG and a JV announcement?
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

caribb

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:59 am

It's daily year round nonstop 787-8s to Shanghai. Nice! Congrats YUL, PVG & AC
Last edited by caribb on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:31 pm

Well done AC ! Daily service right out of the gates !

Link to the press release.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1061

Begins February 16, 2017

AC17 YUL1330 - 1640+1PVG 788 D
AC18 PVG1815 - 1840YUL 788 D

at 14.5 hrs, it will be the longest flight ever operated by any carrier from YUL.

Dominion301

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:47 pm

I would've been shocked if it were anything but PVG and daily out of the 'gate' to boot, wow!
Last edited by Dominion301 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a380787

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:54 pm

excellent news. as of this service announcement, Star Alliance can nonstop from PVG to 8 airports in North America - SFO SJC LAX ORD EWR YVR YYZ YUL ... quite a feat considering no Star airline has a primary hub at PVG.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Seems like AC will partner up with Juneyao Airlines, to offer even more destinations out of PVG.

That's good, because Air China and Shenzhen Airlines have a limited network at PVG. Juneyao's primary hub is PVG and it offers several destinations the other two dont serve from PVG, including HKG !

rocketPower

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:18 am

This is awesome, finally AC breaks into Asia from YUL! I hope Japan is next, would be great to take the Shin from NGO and fly directly home, although I dread the Y seats on the 777 and 787 now.

In any case, this means that AC also finally has regular 787 service from Montreal now. Before you would only catch them on occasional flights from YYZ. Another great addition for spotters.
rocketPower

Life is about enjoying being uncomfortable. If you're complacent, something is wrong!

MarcoPoloWorld

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:45 am

Makes no sense. PVG is notorious for being a bad transfer hub that requires xfer pax to go through immigration, rough customer handling, etc. Why not fly to a "free" Asian hub airport that is practical as a transfer hub? Except for the Chinese, no Asians in Montréal are going to use this new route. And the francophones certainly won't unless they are businessmen specifically looking to go to Shang Hai because they don't speak Chinese and the Chinese don't speak French. So that leaves it as a single-purpose route, and thus a big gamble.

caribb

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:19 am

MarcoPoloWorld wrote:
Makes no sense. PVG is notorious for being a bad transfer hub that requires xfer pax to go through immigration, rough customer handling, etc. Why not fly to a "free" Asian hub airport that is practical as a transfer hub? Except for the Chinese, no Asians in Montréal are going to use this new route. And the francophones certainly won't unless they are businessmen specifically looking to go to Shang Hai because they don't speak Chinese and the Chinese don't speak French. So that leaves it as a single-purpose route, and thus a big gamble.

From what I've read and from people I know who work in the industry Beijing & Shanghai are the single biggest destinations in Asia Montrealers fly to. It has had enough demand for a daily service for some time now thus the reason for this service. Beijing came first because of Chinese airport slot availability. So none of this is surprising. The city's politicians and business community have been pushing for this service for a couple of years now. It's really great to see it actually come true and as s plane spotter I'm happy to finally see Air Canada 787s at YUL. Hopefully new routes elsewhere to Pacific Asia will follow in a few years.

VCEflyboy

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:48 am

Yeah I don't get it either. June Yao is a joke of an airline. I think they probably can offer connections to Bangkok but delays of many hours are very common with this airline. PVG is already well served by AC. And a variety of Chinese and Asian destinations are already offered by CA and OZ.. No need to reinvent the wheel when there are daily flights from YYZ and YVR.
This move is obviously political. Canada offered to deport all those Chinese nationals that are up for execution in China. This is also another treat. Not sure what Canada receives in exchange..

flyyul

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:36 am

MarcoPoloWorld wrote:

Is your opinion/analysis based on any concrete facts? I'm sure by now you're aware that volume between Montreal (and Canada) to China has been growing steadily every year, and that the Shanghai area is the main business/cargo center in China and Asia. There's more business and trade between Quebec and China, then there is between Quebec and France/UK/Germany or any other country where the cultural links are perceived to be stronger. I'm certain you've also taken into consideration the opportunity to land a slot at one of the most congested airports in the world, and that demand growth is constrained by the lack in commercially viable slots at PuDong.

Let's give the AC planning guys a bit of credit, the development of YYZ/YVR/YUL as international hubs over the last 3 years has been nothing short of impressive. I'm convinced this route (with a smaller airplane 787-8) will be successful. Long-term investing in China will pay out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos