Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Samsung Note 2 catches fire in-flight

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:13 pm

As the title says, the Smartphone catched fire on-board an Indigo flight from Singapore to Chennai in India. The phone was placed in a a bag in the overhead bin when some passengers noticed smoke coming out from there and filling the cabin. "The crew discharged the fire extinguisher which is as per the Standard Operating Procedures prescribed by the aircraft manufacturer, and quickly transferred the Samsung Note 2 into a container filled with water in lavatory,” the statement said."

Source: http://gulfnews.com/news/asia/india/sam ... -1.1900921
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

Olddog

Re: Samsung Note 2 catches fire in-flight

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:41 pm

Being a note 2, the interesting question could be what no-name battery was put in it as a replacement by the owner ? :)

GSPSPOT

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:06 pm

Whether it's the 7 or now the 2, this only seems to affect the Samsung Note models, not regular sized phones in those series, right?
Great Lakes, great life.

smokeybandit

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Right, what kind of non-OEM battery was in there?

The Galaxy Note 2 isn't exactly a new model.

smokeybandit

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:14 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
Whether it's the 7 or now the 2, this only seems to affect the Samsung Note models, not regular sized phones in those series, right?

I don't think "this" affected the Note 2. Likely entirely unrelated to the Note 7 issues.

LX015

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Whatever phone it is really doesn't matter, there have been numerous cases of phone batteries catching fire. Doesn't matter if it's Samsung, Apple, LG, Motorola or whoever, these batteries can ignite and catch fire.

planeb123

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:25 pm

What if this happens in the cargo hold? This is concerning. Starting to get more and more concerned with whats going on under the main deck no?

smokeybandit

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:36 pm

LX015 wrote:
Whatever phone it is really doesn't matter, there have been numerous cases of phone batteries catching fire. Doesn't matter if it's Samsung, Apple, LG, Motorola or whoever, these batteries can ignite and catch fire.

It does matter that this is unrelated to the Galaxy 7 issues. Fundamentally, you're right, it happens. It's the nature of the beast. But, you know how incorrect assumptions and linking to other events can cause improper hype and response.

audian

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Some one is trying to reach him very badly.

ssteve

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:44 pm

audian wrote:
Some one is trying to reach him very badly.

Missed call: Beelzebub.

KrustyTheKlown

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:54 pm

To me it seems a thermal runaway situation: The phone was inside a bag most likely surrounded by some insulating material, then I assume some application crashed (maybe waiting for data) and the phone started to overheat. Normally a phone would shut down before reaching a dangerous temperature but if the system had crashed that safety mechanism may have been disabled.

If the phone had catch fire while charging I would be inclined to blame a damaged or non-OEM battery.

SCQ83

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:16 pm

Easy, ban all Samsung devices on board planes. Like they ban drugs or bombs.

1337Delta764

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:24 pm

The Note 2 has a removable battery, and most likely the battery that was installed was a non-OEM battery.

kabq737

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:14 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Nope. Not the solution. All devices that carry lithium ion batteries can have these issues and while it is true that the Note 7 has far more instances of fire it should be noted that iPhones have also caught fire on planes in the past. Please don't jump to conclusions.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

smokeybandit

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:18 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Hence my comment about linking unrelated things together and making improper responses..

iamlucky13

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:43 pm

planeb123 wrote:
What if this happens in the cargo hold? This is concerning. Starting to get more and more concerned with whats going on under the main deck no?

There is a halon fire suppression system in the cargo hold. It doesn't necessarily put out the fire, but it does slow it enough that the plane has time to reach an airport. Obviously, that means ETOPS aircraft have to carry a lot more halon than other aircraft.

Large quantities of batteries, such as in commercial shipments, can cause an intense enough fire that it can spread rapidly despite the halon system. This has cause a couple of crashes of cargo freighters, but I don't think any passenger aircraft has. Such shipments are now banned. The current halon concentration is around 5%, I think, and there's been some consideration given to doubling it as additional protection.

Small quantities, not all shipped in the same package, should be suppressed successfully until the plane is on the ground. There's ongoing analysis and testing on the matter, but as far as I know, the energy content of the batteries is within the range of ignition sources already considered when these fire suppression systems were developed, and the results so far are acceptable.

MaxxFlyer

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:23 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Good way to lose a lot of pax. I have a Galaxy 5 note with original battery. It's flown 20 os so round trips, and it's never burst into flames.

BobPatterson

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:13 pm

MaxxFlyer wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Good way to lose a lot of pax. I have a Galaxy 5 note with original battery. It's flown 20 os so round trips, and it's never burst into flames.

Well......not yet. Millions of people have driven millions of miles without an accident.......yet. I was one ticketed for not using a seat belt. I use one all the time now. I hope you always keep your Galaxy on your person and not stowed when on an airplane.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

prebennorholm

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:52 pm

Huh, a phone catches fire, and immediately a string of posters on this thread have the perfect solution to a problem which the battery scientists have spent billions on not solving.

All Li-Ion batteries, whether they are in phones, tablets, laptops, cameras, razors, or whatever, sometimes catch fire due to one of these reasons:
- faulty battery
- faulty charging logic in device
- faulty charger
- physical abuse by user
- heat abuse by user.

The only thing we can do about it is minimizing the risk that our equipment catches fire. How?
- We avoid physical abuse. We don't drop it, step on it, or bend it etc. For our children we invest in proper protection gear. Damaged stuff should never be inside an airliner unless the battery is fully discharged.
- We do not charge a device at freezing temperature, for instance just brought in from left in a car which was parked in cold weather.
- We never expose the gear to high temperature. High temperature may cause fire immediately, or it may cause an escalating battery defect which causes a thermal runaway later, could be years later.

For some time white colored phones were high fashion. That was good for careless people who tend to leave the phone exposed to sunshine in the car. Today it seems that dark colors, including black, are back in fashion. That will cause more Li-Ion battery incidents in the future than if white had stayed in fashion. When you buy protection stuff for your kid's phone or tablet, then always choose bright colors, the brighter the better.

And then we obey to the rules: No Li-Ion battery in checked bags, only in carry-on. Including any spare batteries of course.

And for God's sake, let your $9.99 no-name Chinese powerbank stay at home when you travel. If you have to go to a country, where they have no electricity, then go and buy a quality brand even if it is many times more expensive. And don't buy it larger than your needs.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

ACDC8

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:10 am

planeb123 wrote:

SCQ83 wrote:

The charter flights I take to/from work won't allow Note 7s in the cargo hold on their flights.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

SCQ83

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:35 am

ACDC8 wrote:
The charter flights I take to/from work won't allow Note 7s in the cargo hold on their flights.

I flew SAS this week and they made an "Special Announcement" about the Samsung Note 7; as it was forbidden to have it turned on during the flight.

It is quite crazy that because a faulty South Korean manufacturer, European carriers need to take special procedures in their flights in order to avoid an explosion that could kill hundreds of people!

So I feel that people make fun of my suggestion of banning all Samsung products, but I don't think it is that far fetched; much better than having 200 dead people because some Korean mis-management.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pilot-misman ... tml?ref=gs

Now it is not only that Note 7 but other Note model.

danman132x

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:17 pm

I love how people are all bashing Samsung and Galaxy phones, when ALL lithium batteries can catch fire. It's the nature of the beast, and poor QC on cheap batteries can make it happen more. Just a little short is all it takes. Apple phones, laptops, camera batteries have all catched fire. So enough of the note bashing. Have a note 4 myself, never any issues. Original battery, or my anker replacements. HTC, Nokia, LG I had before also all fine... People/news just jumping on the hype train since Samsung Note 7 was in the news and on recall right now..

MaxxFlyer

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:42 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
MaxxFlyer wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Well......not yet. Millions of people have driven millions of miles without an accident.......yet. I was one ticketed for not using a seat belt. I use one all the time now. I hope you always keep your Galaxy on your person and not stowed when on an airplane.

Not sure yours is a valid comparison, but yes, my phone is usually off during flight but always in the cabin with me.

MaxxFlyer

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:44 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

I flew SAS this week and they made an "Special Announcement" about the Samsung Note 7; as it was forbidden to have it turned on during the flight.

It is quite crazy that because a faulty South Korean manufacturer, European carriers need to take special procedures in their flights in order to avoid an explosion that could kill hundreds of people!

So I feel that people make fun of my suggestion of banning all Samsung products, but I don't think it is that far fetched; much better than having 200 dead people because some Korean mis-management.

Apple should hire you as a spokesperson.

kabq737

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:21 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
MaxxFlyer wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Ok let's say this again. It DOES NOT matter what type of device you have. ALL devices with this type of battery can have this problem. It's not just Samsung. They've only had one model have an abnormal amount of fires. Instead of continuously making false comments about Samsung let's realize that regardless of manufacture aviation as an industry needs to come up with a solution to mitigate the risk imposed by ALL battery powered electronic devices on aircraft.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM

kabq737

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:25 pm

danman132x wrote:
I love how people are all bashing Samsung and Galaxy phones, when ALL lithium batteries can catch fire. It's the nature of the beast, and poor QC on cheap batteries can make it happen more. Just a little short is all it takes. Apple phones, laptops, camera batteries have all catched fire. So enough of the note bashing. Have a note 4 myself, never any issues. Original battery, or my anker replacements. HTC, Nokia, LG I had before also all fine... People/news just jumping on the hype train since Samsung Note 7 was in the news and on recall right now..

Agreed. I find it genuinely amazing how ignorant people who don't do their research love to jump to conclusions. On the bright side these issues seem to be opening the airlines eyes to the fact that all devices pose a certain danger.

eraugrad02

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:45 am

kabq737 wrote:
danman132x wrote:

Agreed. I find it genuinely amazing how ignorant people who don't do their research love to jump to conclusions. On the bright side these issues seem to be opening the airlines eyes to the fact that all devices pose a certain danger.

I agree with you. My Note7 never got hot but I only changed it because I being a paraplegic, I couldn't escape fast had I needed to escape from my bed expeditiously had I needed to escape fast. The new Note7 has a green batter on screen so that the airlines and any other transports can know people people are carrying a faulty Note7. Soon, like mine did, can only charge to 60% and then soon will be shut down totally from operation totally soon.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

atcsundevil

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:15 am

SCQ83 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

Honestly, not even sure where to start, so I'm just gonna dive in...

First of all, Samsung as a manufacturer sells more smartphones than any other brand on the planet. A blanket ban, practically or complete lack thereof aside, this is a sure fire way (no pun intended) to piss off the statistical majority of your customers. The fact that they are a Korean company does not in any way equate to substandard quality. In fact, Apple is only an American company in the loosest of terms, considering their products are made in China and they pay all 0.005% of their taxes to Ireland.

Second, linking a single piece of anecdotal evidence to the Note 7 defect and recall is faulty logic at its finest. The Note 2 was launched almost exactly four years ago. Considering the Note 7 recall came within two weeks of the product being released, I can say with almost absolute confidence that if the Note 2 were similarly faulty, the recall would have been issued sometime in the past four years. The Note line managed three generations in between (four if you count the Edge) without significant issue.

Third, as mentioned by others, the risk of thermal runaway with Li batteries is not limited to any singular manufacturer. Given your apparent disdain for Samsung products, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're most likely an iPhone user. While Apple has not had a recall of its products due to an increased risk of battery issues, it would be false to assume that there has been an absence of issues. The Apple product line compared with the Samsung product line (excluding the Note 7 pre recall model, which in itself had a defect rate at less than 0.01%) had very comparable numbers of battery failures. Same goes for LG, HTC, Motorola, and the like.

Fourth, given the age of the phone and the previous generations' ability for users to remove batteries, I would be willing to bet that the user in question replaced the battery with a cheap, non OEM battery. The battery would be at fault, not the manufacturer. If a car crashes because the owner puts on used tires, do you flame the car company? Of course not.

Finally, I will reiterate that the phone being discussed is the Note 2, not the Note 7. Literally the only commonality between them is the name, and the fact that they are both phones. Similarities end there.

Research goes a long way before developing strong opinions, not generally after. And look! I wrote all of this on my currently being recalled Note 7, and it hasn't exploded and burned everything down.

SCQ83

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:19 am

atcsundevil wrote:
First of all, Samsung as a manufacturer sells more smartphones than any other brand on the planet. A blanket ban, practically or complete lack thereof aside, this is a sure fire way (no pun intended) to piss off the statistical majority of your customers. The fact that they are a Korean company does not in any way equate to substandard quality. In fact, Apple is only an American company in the loosest of terms, considering their products are made in China and they pay all 0.005% of their taxes to Ireland..

I reckon that is very debatable too. Samsung sells more because a big part of their business are low-budget devices for low-income countries, and that people likely takes less flights. I am sure you go today to the security control at LHR, SIN, HKG, OSL or ZRH, and the overwhelming majority of phones on those trays are iPhones. Just look around you and put things into perspective.

Btw I am not trying to make any cliché about iPhone VS Samsung customers, but there is a strong correlation between income and Apple market share (and consequently between Apple market share and flights taken). I think two of the countries in the world with more iPhone market share as total of mobile phones are Japan and Switzerland. For MACs (as personal computers), Switzerland and Luxembourg. And it is likely that the average Swiss takes more flights a year than the average Chinese. Of course there are extremes, and there will be modest people who saves 1 year for the newest iPhone (those articles about someone selling his kidney in China to buy the new iPhone), or very wealthy people who uses Samsung (my boss one of them; he hates Apple with passion and gets always the newest Galaxy whatever... of course this week I had a nice argument for him :))

aerorobnz

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:37 am

You should see the number of powerbanks that people try to check in to their hold baggage every day. It is in the dozens per flight category. They are just as likely, if not more likely to explode. One idiot tried to check in 20 of them in one piece.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

KrustyTheKlown

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:49 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
First of all, Samsung as a manufacturer sells more smartphones than any other brand on the planet. A blanket ban, practically or complete lack thereof aside, this is a sure fire way (no pun intended) to piss off the statistical majority of your customers. The fact that they are a Korean company does not in any way equate to substandard quality. In fact, Apple is only an American company in the loosest of terms, considering their products are made in China and they pay all 0.005% of their taxes to Ireland..

I reckon that is very debatable too. Samsung sells more because a big part of their business are low-budget devices for low-income countries, and that people likely takes less flights. I am sure you go today to the security control at LHR, SIN, HKG, OSL or ZRH, and the overwhelming majority of phones on those trays are iPhones. Just look around you and put things into perspective.

Btw I am not trying to make any cliché about iPhone VS Samsung customers, but there is a strong correlation between income and Apple market share (and consequently between Apple market share and flights taken). I think two of the countries in the world with more iPhone market share as total of mobile phones are Japan and Switzerland. For MACs (as personal computers), Switzerland and Luxembourg. And it is likely that the average Swiss takes more flights a year than the average Chinese. Of course there are extremes, and there will be modest people who saves 1 year for the newest iPhone (those articles about someone selling his kidney in China to buy the new iPhone), or very wealthy people who uses Samsung (my boss one of them; he hates Apple with passion and gets always the newest Galaxy whatever... of course this week I had a nice argument for him :))

I regret to inform you that you gave your boss bad advice because Samsung is one of the main suppliers of batteries for Apple products.

Following your logic, airlines should also ban all Apple products.

Please tell your boss that he can buy a 90's cell phone with a Ni-Cd battery if he is that worried about exploding batteries.

MaxxFlyer

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:21 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

Have you actually compared prices for Samsung devices? They are hardly cheap. I'd be interested to know how you surmise "a big part of their business are low-budget devices for low-income countries"

TheF15Ace

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:56 am

SCQ83 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/a ... ht-n543516

I suppose we should have ban all Apple devices as well. Much better than having 200 dead people because some American mis-management.

VHOGU

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:44 pm

TheF15Ace wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/a ... ht-n543516

I suppose we should have ban all Apple devices as well. Much better than having 200 dead people because some American mis-management.

Oh yeah... they should have banned them years ago..... :lol:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-29/i ... re/3701250

I bet being a note 2, it probably had some dodgy aftermarket $2 eBay battery.

Calder

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:42 pm

The note 2 was one hell of a smartphone when it dropped. That big gorgeous 5.5" display back in a time when it was the only phablet. Considering Note 2's haven't been made for a while (at least 3 years) any stock batteries would be essentially useless. I have no issues in assuming the Note 2 in question was using an aftermarket battery. A significant percentage of which are dubious at best.

I still have a Note 2 for tinkering!
C. T.

ACDC8

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Both WestJet and Air North are now making announcements that passengers with a Note 7 are not to power it off completely, not to use or charge it. I haven't heard and announcement on Allegiant yet.

cat3appr50

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:19 pm

In reviewing the Airliners.Net and Aviation Herald website entries daily, there continues a (IMO) worrisome escalating number of reported smoke in the cockpit, smoke in the cabin, and unusual odor incidents, including this week a “tablet battery thermal runaway” involving many different airlines and many different aircraft, and which in most cases those flights returned to the departure airport or diverted to a diversion airport (when enroute) due to the seriousness of the event. Looking just at Aviation Herald there were 7 such incidents in the past week, and these events seemingly continue at this rate week after week.

In general industry, such events are called in the safety sense “near misses.” Managers working in general industry and aviation know full well that those “near misses” can become root cause events leading to larger safety issues if not proactively addressed and resolved/prevented properly and in a timely manner, with a serious focus on making sure they don’t happen again.

As such, these noted events related to smoke/odor, and now electronic devices catching fire IMO should initiate a proactive study by the FAA/NTSB/ICAO of why these events are happening constantly, what is the technical root cause for the events, and technically how those incidents/events can be eliminated by advanced PM, more detailed equipment inspections, etc. or by regulatory changes. Don’t know if such a study is already underway.

rcair1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:30 pm

The issue here is not Samsung or Apple, it is Li-Ion batteries and other high power density batteries. This problem will not go away - so we need to do what we can to manage the impact. You will get nowhere banning these phones. You _may_ get somewhere trying to keep them out of checked baggage.

Normal fire extinguishers and water are not all that good at putting out Li-Ion battery fires. I know some airlines have 'pouches' that allow the battery turn run through it's fire cycle w/o damage to the a/c (once discovered of course). Perhaps this should be required equipment.
rcair1

mats01776

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:32 pm

Delta 138 from DTW to AMS diverts to Manchester on Sep. 25 due to overheating Samsung Tablet :
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/samsung-tablet-emergency-diversion-trans-atlantic-flight/story?id=42348176

A Delta flight from Detroit to Amsterdam had to be diverted to Manchester, England, for two hours Saturday into Sunday after smoke and an unknown smell developed in the passenger cabin.

A Delta official and a senior U.S. official told ABC News that the emergency on Flight 138 was caused by a Samsung tablet. The Delta official explained that the tablet fell inside a seat and became jammed after the seat either reclined or was returned to its upright position. Underneath the seat cover, the tablet and foam then started smoking, and passengers could smell a strange odor.

ACDC8

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:38 am

rcair1 wrote:
The issue here is not Samsung or Apple, it is Li-Ion batteries and other high power density batteries. This problem will not go away - so we need to do what we can to manage the impact. You will get nowhere banning these phones. You _may_ get somewhere trying to keep them out of checked baggage.

Normal fire extinguishers and water are not all that good at putting out Li-Ion battery fires. I know some airlines have 'pouches' that allow the battery turn run through it's fire cycle w/o damage to the a/c (once discovered of course). Perhaps this should be required equipment.

Seeing that more and more airlines are pushing towards "bring your own device" IFE systems - it'll be interesting to see how far transport authorities and the airlines will be willing to go.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos