Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
gk
Topic Author
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:26 pm

"Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:19 pm

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/squashed-emira ... er-1582962

I don't know if this was discussed on Anet before.

Your thoughts!
 
User avatar
ssteve
Posts: 1436
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:32 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:26 pm

Was he in an aisle seat?
 
User avatar
CanadaFair
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:50 pm

A commentor in the link says once he bought two First class tickets so he could sit comfortably as he is big built, but the airline made another passenger sit in the empty one saying they have the right to fill up the seats, is that true?
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5055
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:22 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
A commentor in the link says once he bought two First class tickets so he could sit comfortably as he is big built, but the airline made another passenger sit in the empty one saying they have the right to fill up the seats, is that true?

If you pay full fare for both seats you would have a tough time doing this. You better refund the entire second seat if you did that. I don't really understand buying 2 first class seats though. Even on a US 737 domestic they are separated by a ledge, so it's not like you'd get extra room.
 
mwhcvt
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Given the nature of the F seats that would seem odd to purchase two seats as a POS since the first seats are not exactly next to each other, probably a mistake in the report, that said I do think that all airlines should make large people buy the number of seats they need..I'd need two seats because I am very fat it's a fact of my life and if I needed to travel I would buy two tickets
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)
 
User avatar
Qatara340
Posts: 1687
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 2:07 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:55 pm

I do not get why he is suing the airline. He gets what he pays for. If he wanted a wider seat he would go for Business Class.

I am an overweight man, and I never ever book economy seats just so I can be happy and make other people sit comfortably. The only exception would be flights less than 45 minutes long.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
 
Turnhouse1
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Qatara340 wrote:
I do not get why he is suing the airline. He gets what he pays for. If he wanted a wider seat he would go for Business Class.

I am an overweight man, and I never ever book economy seats just so I can be happy and make other people sit comfortably. The only exception would be flights less than 45 minutes long.


It's the regular sized guy suing, he didn't get 'what he paid for' as the large guy was spilling over into the seat.

Some kind of rule e.g. seatbelt must fit without extender or you buy 2 seats doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Every passenger should get the seat area they paid for.
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1902
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:17 am

well I don't blame the guy. Emirates really crams people in the 777s with that VERY VERY tight economy class seat (its even smaller than a CRJ 200 seat!). I hope more people sue.
xx
 
User avatar
keesje
Posts: 14118
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:51 am

Was it a 10 abreast 777?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
hayzel777
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:18 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:25 am

keesje wrote:
Was it a 10 abreast 777?


Emirates fleet is all 10 abreast.
 
continental004
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:39 am

Entitlement and body shaming at its finest.
 
SCAT15F
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:34 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:43 am

Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.
 
coolian2
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:04 am

SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.

To be fair that coffee was excessively hot.

This screams of "I'm a GOLD member and I flew in Y and amazingly the space was small!"

I'm not a premium member, I fly in Y and I expect I'm not going to be having a party. This guy sounds like a toss (mind you, you can find more than 1 or 2 of them here).
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900
 
User avatar
lebda
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:34 am

How self-entitled. There are tons of people who can't afford to travel at all; at least he *gets* a seat. If you don't like sitting in close proximity to others on a long flight, then get a business or first class ticket. Don't take it out on the heavier dude and the airline.

"Suffering". C'mon. What a baby.
Denver Tower: Gulfstream 592, you’re cleared to 9,000 feet. For a vector to Hector, contact the sector director.
 
thaiflyer
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:08 am

Please read the article
He was sitting in a windows seat (B777 10 seats) and the "big" person in the middle seat spilled over into his seat and therefore basically pinning him against the wall.
If this happens on a long flight i fully understand that he is upset and wants to bring this to the attention of the airline.
Unfortunately the only way of doing this those days is via the media or court.
 
chiad
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:11 am

thaiflyer wrote:
Please read the article
He was sitting in a windows seat (B777 10 seats) and the "big" person in the middle seat spilled over into his seat and therefore basically pinning him against the wall.
If this happens on a long flight i fully understand that he is upset and wants to bring this to the attention of the airline.
Unfortunately the only way of doing this those days is via the media or court.


I get it at least.
Imagine a seat as narrow as in an EK 10 abreast B777. And then you lose another 30% of your space.
It would be really uncomfortable.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3268
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:45 am

continental004 wrote:
Entitlement and body shaming at its finest.


Yep, being entiled to the space you paid for is just going to far, shame on the passenger for expecting to be able to sit in his seat with the person next to him join him....in his seat (sarcasm btw)

SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.


More to that story than that, that store had been warned a number of times that it was serving it's coffee hotter than regulations and company policy, if it's hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns it's to hot.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19439
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:11 am

continental004 wrote:
Entitlement and body shaming at its finest.


Except it isn't - he paid for a seat and got 3/4 of a seat due to the excessive size of the person next to him. Where's the "entitlement" and "body shaming" you're claiming?

SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.


She won because the coffee was too hot. Damn, those facts can be tricky suckers.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
keesje
Posts: 14118
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:27 am

Maybe Emirates will dump the ultra barrow seats to go to the 18 inch seats like Etihad, BA and Singapore have on the 777. And Emirates themselves on the rest of their fleet.. consistancy.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
CBBW
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:29 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:33 am

SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.


That woman's injuries were horrific and the coffee was too hot. This case always gets brought up in these contexts but very few people seem to know any of the details. That's not to say I agree with the outcome but it's not the "stupid greedy slip-and-fall" grift people depict it as.
 
vfw614
Posts: 3884
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:50 am

Before anyone brings up the McDonald's coffee spill case again, please familiarize yourself with the facts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v ... estaurants

Initially, the lady in question, who spent some time in hospital and had skin grafting as a result of 3rd degree burns, asked McD for 20.000 USD to cover her medical expenses. McD offered 800 USD and that's when she took them to court. She was not greedy at all and medical experts described her burns as horrific. In fact, McD served coffee much too hot for immediate consumption because it was trying to accommodate workers who would buy coffee on their way to work and start drinking the coffee quite some time after the purchase.

And as always, the majority of the award were not actual, but punitive damages - and as very often, the amount awarded by the jury was later slashed by the judge by roughly 75 per cent to a six digit figure.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3638
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:29 am

continental004 wrote:
Entitlement and body shaming at its finest.


Not really. If the other passenger paid for 2 seats & Emirates resold the second seat Emirates is in the wrong. You cannot resell the second seat if it's already been paid for so they heavier passenger & others are comfortable then squish another person in the seat. They should both sue, the first man for the money he paid for the second seat & the second person for Emirates selling him a seat that was already sold.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3638
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:30 am

coolian2 wrote:
SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.

To be fair that coffee was excessively hot.

This screams of "I'm a GOLD member and I flew in Y and amazingly the space was small!"

I'm not a premium member, I fly in Y and I expect I'm not going to be having a party. This guy sounds like a toss (mind you, you can find more than 1 or 2 of them here).


To be fair she placed a cup of hot coffee between her legs with the lid off and added creamer while she the car was in motion. No one with a brain does that.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3638
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:38 am

scbriml wrote:
continental004 wrote:
Entitlement and body shaming at its finest.


Except it isn't - he paid for a seat and got 3/4 of a seat due to the excessive size of the person next to him. Where's the "entitlement" and "body shaming" you're claiming?

SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.


She won because the coffee was too hot. Damn, those facts can be tricky suckers.


She won because it was a jury trial. Sorry but no matter how hot coffee is you should know better than opening the cup and sitting it between your legs. Being stupid should not be a reason to get paid!

I have burns from an accident when I was a child. The BBQ grill got blown over when we got wing gust from an unexpected storm. One of the questions people always ask is how much did you settle for or did you sue. When I said we did not sue they say well the grill should not have blown over. Funny guys lets see your grill on wheels take a strong gust and stay upright. Don't beleive me look at the video's of planes being blown away from gates at airports. How about lets stop blaming people for our own mistakes and grow a pair of balls.
 
coolian2
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:56 am

rbavfan wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.

To be fair that coffee was excessively hot.

This screams of "I'm a GOLD member and I flew in Y and amazingly the space was small!"

I'm not a premium member, I fly in Y and I expect I'm not going to be having a party. This guy sounds like a toss (mind you, you can find more than 1 or 2 of them here).


To be fair she placed a cup of hot coffee between her legs with the lid off and added creamer while she the car was in motion. No one with a brain does that.


To be fair, the difference in temperature was the difference between it being a "Fcuk!" exclamation and second degree burns.

I've driven with coffee between my legs. But that's because it wasn't in a flimsy cup and wasn't actually - as the facts state - way, way too hot.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3172
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:46 pm

SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.

This is getting tiring hearing people repeat this as if they knew what they were talking about. Look into the reason for the lawsuit and why she received that money. Or are you trying to show lawyers get a bad name because people like you make up stories to justify your hate? If so, then good job on that.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3172
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:49 pm

rbavfan wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.

To be fair that coffee was excessively hot.

This screams of "I'm a GOLD member and I flew in Y and amazingly the space was small!"

I'm not a premium member, I fly in Y and I expect I'm not going to be having a party. This guy sounds like a toss (mind you, you can find more than 1 or 2 of them here).


To be fair she placed a cup of hot coffee between her legs with the lid off and added creamer while she the car was in motion. No one with a brain does that.


Victim blaming. No liquid served by a restaurant should be so hot it causes 3rd degree burns when spilled on you. The car was not in motion, read the link posted describing the story. The car was parked.
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6488
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:10 pm

b747400erf wrote:
Victim blaming. No liquid served by a restaurant should be so hot it causes 3rd degree burns when spilled on you. The car was not in motion, read the link posted describing the story. The car was parked.

And that franchisee had been warned by McDonalds Corporation quality checks several times. They had increased the coffee temperature so people would not drink enough in the time taken to eat breakfast to allow for (free) refills.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
User avatar
keesje
Posts: 14118
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:22 pm

Maybe Emirates selected seats that are too narrow. Etihad, BA, Singapore, Korean have much wider seats on the same aircraft.

Image

They should survey their valued passengers how they feel about these 10 abreast 777 seats, and follow-up.

Or openly warn passengers in advance that this is a 777 narrow seat. So they can opt to take an other flight.

;)
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
seat64k
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:56 pm

lebda wrote:
How self-entitled. There are tons of people who can't afford to travel at all; at least he *gets* a seat.


He *paid* for a seat.

lebda wrote:
If you don't like sitting in close proximity to others on a long flight


That's not his complaint.

lebda wrote:
Don't take it out on the heavier dude and the airline.


If I was him I'd sue the other passenger too.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24989
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:22 pm

The article ends with:

This is not the first time that a passenger has sued an airline for having to sit next to an overwheight passenger. In a similar case last July, interior designer James Andres Bassos sued Etihad Airways for $227,000 alleging he suffered a back injury after being subjected to a "seat invasion" by a "grossly overweight" passenger.


So (a) this pax is demanding a much smaller amount and (b) this may be the start of a trend.

The article also has a picture:

Image

The picture is being used by the man in his suit, and (a) we see he is in the middle, not a window seat and (b) if I were his neighbor he'd probably be suing me because I have broad shoulders and probably would be "spilling" into his seat.

One reason I like WN is when I board the plane I can purposely look for an aisle seat with a smaller person next to me so my broad shoulders can spill into the aisle and onto the seat of the smaller person. Even with WN's relatively generous 18" seats I do have a problem if there's a person equally tall as I am with equally broad shoulders in the seat next to me.

As others have said, us non-elites just accept the reality that airline travel sucks these days. Sooner or later selling a product people dread to use will impact the bottom line, but for now it's all salad due to cheap oil, employees whose wages were slashed in leaner times, fees for everything up to but not including toilet paper in the john, and the biggest consolidations ever in the history of the airline business. Lots of CEOs are getting very fat envelopes these days.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
Aptivaboy
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:12 pm

I don’t blame the guy at all. He paid for a seat that he should be able to enjoy.

And please stop calling it “body shaming.” In the vast majority of cases, someone is obese because of their lifestyle. It’s a voluntary thing. My whole family as thyroid and metabolism issues. As a result, we tend to be a bit heavier and to have more trouble losing weight. But, do you know what? We fit into coach airline seats. We do not spill over into our neighbors’ seats. We workout, we diet, we stay pretty physically fit despite our genetic issues and we fit into coach seats on Alaska, Hawaiian, United, American and the old Continental.

I once had to fly CLE-HOU in the middle seat between two 300 pound plus gentlemen, one of whom had extreme body odor. Neither one fit into their seat, making me exceptionally uncomfortable. Imagine rolls of fat hemming you in. Yeah, not fun, and it was exactly like that. I remember being unable to raise my arms to reach the tray table and my drink it was that bad. And, it was unfair - unfair for them to impose their girth onto me. Some commentators will say that those of us closer to “normal” size should be nice to those who are larger. I would challenge them to take the middle seat between two plus sized passengers for several hours and then see how they like it. Seriously, the only one being body shamed is the poor person being squished flat. If you haven’t “enjoyed the experience,” then you really don’t know.

When you purchase a ticket, you are buying the use of your seat, and not anyone else’s seat. When I make a reservation at a restaurant, am I reserving the use of another diner’s table? No. The principle remains the same.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24989
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:31 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
Imagine rolls of fat hemming you in.

Aptivaboy wrote:
If you haven’t “enjoyed the experience,” then you really don’t know.


Indeed. I was once stuck next to a very pleasant lady who just happened to have the largest ass I've ever seen on a human being. Before I "had the experience" I had no idea how upsetting it was to be crammed into a seat with a stranger's fat ass in full contact with you no matter what you do. If I moved around her ass would fill every single void, like being next to a giant warm lard filled balloon. I wish I could find another word for it, but it was disgusting. I could tell it was making her very uncomfortable too, neither of us would bring up the topic because it was so unpleasant to talk about, but she was nervous and sweaty. I really tried to avoid conversation and tried to fake a sleep even though it was in the middle of the day.

It's amazing to me that airlines don't find a way to deal with this kind of situation. Sooner or later I bet they are forced to, probably by getting sued enough times that they have no choice but to deal with it. In that regard, I hope this guy wins his case.

As above, Southwest is actually a lot better because the pax can usually sort this kind of situation out. Big people sit next to small people. Easy to do when everyone didn't pick their seat months ago and now are in love with them.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
lebda
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 pm

seat64k wrote:
lebda wrote:
How self-entitled. There are tons of people who can't afford to travel at all; at least he *gets* a seat.


He *paid* for a seat.

lebda wrote:
If you don't like sitting in close proximity to others on a long flight


That's not his complaint.

lebda wrote:
Don't take it out on the heavier dude and the airline.


If I was him I'd sue the other passenger too.


Yeah, it sucks, he paid for a seat and didn't get much room, but life goes on. That's the point I'm trying to make. This was only one flight.

There are people who actually suffer on a regular basis in this world.
Denver Tower: Gulfstream 592, you’re cleared to 9,000 feet. For a vector to Hector, contact the sector director.
 
coolian2
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:06 am

I'm gonna be as much in your seat as I was ~100kgs ago. You want at me?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900
 
User avatar
VCEflyboy
Posts: 1237
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:59 am

32andBelow wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:
A commentor in the link says once he bought two First class tickets so he could sit comfortably as he is big built, but the airline made another passenger sit in the empty one saying they have the right to fill up the seats, is that true?

If you pay full fare for both seats you would have a tough time doing this. You better refund the entire second seat if you did that. I don't really understand buying 2 first class seats though. Even on a US 737 domestic they are separated by a ledge, so it's not like you'd get extra room.


I did buy two economy tickets. That was with Air Canada as I was traveling with my dog on their 767 which was great 2-4-2 seating and they don't allow dogs in business. You have the right to two sears but you don't get double allowance. The second ticket is cheaper though. You only pay 90% of the fares and also you don't pay taxes.
 
User avatar
HGL
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 3:25 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:30 am

Qatara340 wrote:
I do not get why he is suing the airline. He gets what he pays for. If he wanted a wider seat he would go for Business Class.

lebda wrote:
How self-entitled. There are tons of people who can't afford to travel at all; at least he *gets* a seat. If you don't like sitting in close proximity to others on a long flight, then get a business or first class ticket.


Airlines do not sell seats on the basis of shared occupancy, except where one of the passengers is a babe in arms. How is it "self-entitled" to receive what you actually pay for, which is a seat for your exclusive use? The fact that other can not afford to travel is immaterial and does not justify the airlines drive to cram in more passengers at the cost of "over spill". As it is the airlines who decide seat spacing and pitch, it is quite logical that aggrieved passengers sue the airlines and not seat neighbours.

To the question of purchasing a seat in First or Business, we don't know who actually pays for the tickets. The passenger is not always the same as the customer. If the fares are booked through a company and that company policy is to book Economy only, the passenger would just have to travel that way. If he is accustomed to travel economy and has reached Gold status that would suggest he travels fairly frequently (making business class seats very costly) and just maybe, on this occasion, it got to be too much.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.
 
User avatar
ro1960
Posts: 1306
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:58 am

thaiflyer wrote:
He was sitting in a windows seat (B777 10 seats) and the "big" person in the middle seat spilled over into his seat and therefore basically pinning him against the wall.


The window seat (although my favorite as an aviation enthusiast) is sometimes problematic due to the curve of the fuselage. Often your feet can not be aligned with your hips forcing your spine into a "S" shape. This can be damaging on long flights. So I imagine being squashed against the wall by a large person sitting next to you. Specially on a sardine 10 abreast layout.
Do not compensate for the lack of skills with a surplus of opinion.


You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13434
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:00 am

SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.

Only because laypeople attempt to analyze a case without having a clue what they're talking about, in terms of application of the law.

If they did, they'd know that:
1) McDonalds was serving their coffee way hotter than service industry standard (190F+),
2) There was a defect in the cup design that caused the lid to randomly/frequently pop off with liquids over 150F,
3) The state (New Mexico) had a requirement duty to warn, which McD's chose not follow, and
4) Internal documents proved that McD's **KNEW** all of the above.

So yeah, when a nearly 80yr-old woman gets scalded so badly that it MELTED THE FAT UNDER HER SKIN... for a company that knew better, the case could not have been stronger for her to take action and the company to be punished. Apparently, the courts agreed. That McD's didn't immediately settle was insane in its arrogance!

And no, she (her name was Stella Liebeck) didn't get millions.
The initial award was reduced to $640K then settled without proceeding forward. Her medical bills were in the 6figures, so it's not like she made out like some bandit.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:49 pm

I'm almost certainly going to get a 30 day suspension, or worse, from ANet for this post, but here goes:

When I was a child, I was not physically active, so I was fat. My classmates teased me about how fat I was (they called me "the blob"), and when I complained about being teased, my parents told me that if I started exercising every day, and stopped eating so much, I would lose weight and my classmates would no longer tease me about being fat.

I started jogging, and I discovered that I really enjoyed it. Even though I work full time, I still jog 7 miles / 12 km every day, and I'm very thin.

It takes a lot of time and a lot of self discipline to stay thin: eating less food, and exercising instead of spending time doing other things.

Because I'm thin, whenever I have a fat seatmate, they feel that they are entitled to jam me against the side of the aircraft because I'm "so thin that I do not need the space as much as they do". I've never had a fat seatmate ask to use some of my space. They just assume that they can use it because I'm thin.

I'm so tired of being jammed against the side of the aircraft that I often fly in Economy Comfort or First Class, just because there is more space between me and fat seatmates. When seats are more spacious, then fat people are less likely to spill over into my space, and I'm able to enjoy all of the space I've paid for, instead of having a fat person occupy 1/3 of my space without paying 1/3 of my ticket price.

It makes me REALLY, REALLY mad that I have to pay extra to upgrade and get more space - not because I need it, but because of selfish seatmates.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13588
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:16 pm

mwhcvt wrote:
Given the nature of the F seats that would seem odd to purchase two seats as a POS since the first seats are not exactly next to each other, probably a mistake in the report, that said I do think that all airlines should make large people buy the number of seats they need..I'd need two seats because I am very fat it's a fact of my life and if I needed to travel I would buy two tickets


What about company travel ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13588
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Qatara340 wrote:
I do not get why he is suing the airline. He gets what he pays for. If he wanted a wider seat he would go for Business Class.

I am an overweight man, and I never ever book economy seats just so I can be happy and make other people sit comfortably. The only exception would be flights less than 45 minutes long.


Business class costs 3, 4, 5 times more than economy. If you want 30% more space for about the same extra fare (say 50%), there is no option, Y+ is already twice the amount. With Emirates it's simpler since there is no Y+, so you take Y, or J for 4 times more money.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13588
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Turnhouse1 wrote:
Qatara340 wrote:
I do not get why he is suing the airline. He gets what he pays for. If he wanted a wider seat he would go for Business Class.

I am an overweight man, and I never ever book economy seats just so I can be happy and make other people sit comfortably. The only exception would be flights less than 45 minutes long.


It's the regular sized guy suing, he didn't get 'what he paid for' as the large guy was spilling over into the seat.

Some kind of rule e.g. seatbelt must fit without extender or you buy 2 seats doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Every passenger should get the seat area they paid for.


Is there some kind of standard for seatbelt size ? From experience being at the frontier of that problem, usually I don't need one, sometimes I need one and it's not even a close call.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6488
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:40 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
It makes me REALLY, REALLY mad that I have to pay extra to upgrade and get more space - not because I need it, but because of selfish seatmates.

I don't think you are being unreasonable.

As a hobby, I am a personal trainer and a competition body builder. I donate my time to the local YMCA to teach younger generations about health. What you say is entirely accurate. Maybe one half of one thousanth of one millionth of one percent of the population has a true medical need for being obese ... but the rest of us do not.

However, unlike those above, I don't think the morbidly obese are lazy, I think they are uneducated. They don't want to be obese and they don't want half of your economy seat either. But I firmly believe that if they knew how very easy it was to regain health, they'd all be doing it.

It's not quick, it is a long process, but it is easy. Simple diet and exercise.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:52 pm

longhauler wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:
It makes me REALLY, REALLY mad that I have to pay extra to upgrade and get more space - not because I need it, but because of selfish seatmates.

I don't think you are being unreasonable.

As a hobby, I am a personal trainer and a competition body builder. I donate my time to the local YMCA to teach younger generations about health. What you say is entirely accurate. Maybe one half of one thousanth of one millionth of one percent of the population has a true medical need for being obese ... but the rest of us do not.

However, unlike those above, I don't think the morbidly obese are lazy, I think they are uneducated. They don't want to be obese and they don't want half of your economy seat either. But I firmly believe that if they knew how very easy it was to regain health, they'd all be doing it.

It's not quick, it is a long process, but it is easy. Simple diet and exercise.


Longhauler, it's great that you donate time to the YMCA. People don't realize that exercise benefits them mentally as much as it benefits them physically. Exercise creates positive changes in your body's chemistry, removes stress from your body, and makes you happier.

When I see an overweight person jogging, I always smile at them, and say "have a nice day". I know how self conscious overweight people feel when they are exercising around people who are more fit, and I want to encourage overweight people to stay with their exercise program so they will achieve their goals.
 
seat64k
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:50 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
I'm almost certainly going to get a 30 day suspension, or worse, from ANet for this post, but here goes:


I don't think your post is unreasonable at all. My story is somewhat opposite to yours. As a child I was always thin, and I was very active. I cycled to school every day (15km odd) from day one, got into long distance running around age 12, and by the time I was 17 I was running marathons. But once I started work in IT, sitting and typing for a living, I started gaining weight and reach a MBI of 44 by my early 30s.

I understand what this does to you. I understand what it does to your self esteem, to your health, to your sex life, to people's first opinion about you. But I'm under no illusion about why I got to this place and how I can get out of it. I knew the moment I had to buy bigger pants for the first time. It's no one's fault but mine. And letting it go on until I was morbidly obese is no one's fault but mine.

Since then I've lost a lot of weight and I have some ways to go. But I stick to my diet, I get enough exercise, and I'm losing 2-3kg per month.

WA707atMSP wrote:
It makes me REALLY, REALLY mad that I have to pay extra to upgrade and get more space - not because I need it, but because of selfish seatmates.


Likewise, not least because for the most part I can't really afford that.

longhauler wrote:
As a hobby, I am a personal trainer and a competition body builder. I donate my time to the local YMCA to teach younger generations about health. What you say is entirely accurate. Maybe one half of one thousanth of one millionth of one percent of the population has a true medical need for being obese ... but the rest of us do not.


Like WA707atMSP I commend you for this. Most people can not afford a personal trainier.

longhauler wrote:
However, unlike those above, I don't think the morbidly obese are lazy, I think they are uneducated. They don't want to be obese and they don't want half of your economy seat either. But I firmly believe that if they knew how very easy it was to regain health, they'd all be doing it.


I do want to disagree slightly with this. respectfully. In the age of the internet there's no real excuse not to know. Even doing whatever google throws up as the first hit when searching for "how to lose weigh" will work if you do it consistently. It just takes discipline.

https://www.google.com.hk/#q=how+to+lose+weight

It really grates me how we as a society fall all over ourselves to lie to people about the shape they're in. At least once I a day, someone on facebooks reposts some article on how being obese is just fine, and how terrible people are for not thinking so, and even how being overweight is even good for you. Like this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/1 ... eight.html

I am not medical professional, but even from the basic reading I do to understand my body, I'm sure everything they list in this piece is wrong.

On a slightly lighthearted note, this is one of my favourite youtube videos on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mbp0DugfCA (fun cameo at 3:15)
 
2175301
Posts: 1936
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:21 pm

I agree there is a problem. But, it is not just that some people are overweight. Some people are also broad shouldered. I am no longer obese having lost 60 Lb (and if anyone thinks that is easy you have no idea how hard that is when you have certain medical issues); but, my shoulders have always been broad (even before I gained that weight in the mid 2000's). My upper body overlaps into the next seat (My shoulders are 21" wide). It is very painful being jammed into seats with other broad shouldered males; and that happens often in conference centers where they lock the chairs together too. One of the reasons that flying with my wife is a joy is that she has a smaller frame and so I automatically have a seat to overflow into.

I would love to see the statistics on the average width of an adult male upper body, and the standard deviation. I suspect many problems would be solved if the Airlines had to put in seats to account for that; but, that would also likely reduce seat counts.

I don't know what the solution is; but, I doubt that the person in the picture would be more than 1/2" narrower even if they were at a reasonable weight.

Have a great day,
 
mwhcvt
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:26 pm

Aesma wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:
Given the nature of the F seats that would seem odd to purchase two seats as a POS since the first seats are not exactly next to each other, probably a mistake in the report, that said I do think that all airlines should make large people buy the number of seats they need..I'd need two seats because I am very fat it's a fact of my life and if I needed to travel I would buy two tickets


What about company travel ?


Sorry I don't get what point your trying to make in relation to how you quoted me! Where does company travel even come into it?
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)
 
User avatar
LenPepperbottom
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:14 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Not so much laughter and ridicule from Europeans towards American's being fat these days I see......

Welcome to the club.
 
User avatar
kitplane01
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Re: "Squashed Emirates Airline gold member sues for suffering fat man 'spillover'"

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:49 am

SCAT15F wrote:
Almost as bad as the "gold standard" example of the woman who sued McDonalds for 2 million -and won- back in the 90's for the coffee being too hot (she spilled it on herself). This is why lawyers get a bad name.


Not really accurate.

She was awarded $2.86 million, it was reduced down to $600,000 on appeal, and her final settlement amount it secret but presumably under $600,000.

She was in the hospital for 8 days, lost 20 lbs, got skin grafts, and was permanently disfigured.

You can verify at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v ... estaurants

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos