User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:50 am

Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here.

Link to old thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=605085
 
pdx
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:10 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:21 am

Runway 28R closed from about 9-11am Saturday the 24th for the 6K run/walk. All action will be on 28L, unless they're using 10R instead. Probably will be due to clouds and fog.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5468
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:08 am

So in reference to AS / VX merge, according to one of my AS friends, this lady flies for them & has indicated that the "layoffs" being speculated about will be mostly this.

Staffing will be based upon seniority, as VX is about 8 years old, you'll find that most AS employees have a decade of service or longer. When the seniority lists are finally merged way down the road, if there are redundant positions, those eliminated will be the lower on the seniority list & that may include some AS newbies. As is excpected, PDX is a high seniority base, my friend just got the OK to move here after spending the last decade flying out of ANC. Before that she worked with QX, which I guess many AAG employees start with QX then move up to AS (if possible) as your seniority builds. Many happy employees at AS with longevity, sounds like people are happy & not that many are leaving.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
pdxswa
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:50 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:23 am

Nice to see the F9 A321's come in earlier in the day !
[photoid]3988259[\photoid]
 
pdxswa
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:50 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:26 am

Nice to see the F9 A321's come in earlier in the day !
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:43 pm

Which nonstop will PDX see first? JetBlue to FLL or American to MIA? Would the latecomer decide to not launch?
 
PDX757
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:43 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Which nonstop will PDX see first? JetBlue to FLL or American to MIA? Would the latecomer decide to not launch?

I'll go out on a limb and say B6 to FLL. They seem a bit butt hurt about AS' acquisition of VX and this would horn in on AS' service to MCO.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5468
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:15 am

PDX757 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
Which nonstop will PDX see first? JetBlue to FLL or American to MIA? Would the latecomer decide to not launch?

I'll go out on a limb and say B6 to FLL. They seem a bit butt hurt about AS' acquisition of VX and this would horn in on AS' service to MCO.


Even if were B6 which I doubt it would be, AS would launch the route as well & AS would get the PNW origin traffic & B6 would get the FLL origin traffic. I can guarantee you that there are more people going from Portland to South Florida, than the reverse. B6 would struggle in the market, even if they timed it to make Caribbean connections.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
pdxswa
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:50 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:22 pm

A very rare bird for here !
 
dc10lover
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:11 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:51 pm

So Pendleton, Oregon will have service in 2017?
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 3967
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:33 pm

RWA380 wrote:
So in reference to AS / VX merge, according to one of my AS friends, this lady flies for them & has indicated that the "layoffs" being speculated about will be mostly this.

Staffing will be based upon seniority, as VX is about 8 years old, you'll find that most AS employees have a decade of service or longer. When the seniority lists are finally merged way down the road, if there are redundant positions, those eliminated will be the lower on the seniority list & that may include some AS newbies. As is excpected, PDX is a high seniority base, my friend just got the OK to move here after spending the last decade flying out of ANC. Before that she worked with QX, which I guess many AAG employees start with QX then move up to AS (if possible) as your seniority builds. Many happy employees at AS with longevity, sounds like people are happy & not that many are leaving.

I don't think you can bid up from QX or AS. Any AS new hire no matter from QX or another airline would be totally at the bottom. They are completely different.
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:45 pm

RWA380 wrote:

Even if were B6 which I doubt it would be, AS would launch the route as well & AS would get the PNW origin traffic & B6 would get the FLL origin traffic. I can guarantee you that there are more people going from Portland to South Florida, than the reverse. B6 would struggle in the market, even if they timed it to make Caribbean connections.


Sounds like American to Miami then. But from what's been said in other threads, AA is about as likely to add new routes right now as Air France.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5468
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:32 am

jbpdx wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Even if were B6 which I doubt it would be, AS would launch the route as well & AS would get the PNW origin traffic & B6 would get the FLL origin traffic. I can guarantee you that there are more people going from Portland to South Florida, than the reverse. B6 would struggle in the market, even if they timed it to make Caribbean connections.


Sounds like American to Miami then. But from what's been said in other threads, AA is about as likely to add new routes right now as Air France.


I really think if we get a South Florida flight it'll be AS to FLL vs AA to MIA. AA just added LAX-PDX so that is the last add from them in a very long time here at PDX, they are showing PDX some love. Maybe a Seasonal n/s might be the correct way to test the waters properly, let's see if AS wants to do that.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
pdxswa
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:50 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Max the Lynx arriving in some wonderful evening light off of 28R.
 
ANA787
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Booked tickets on the nonstop delta PDX-LHR. Bookings appear to be fairly good this far out judging by the seat maps. Especially July 3rd PDX-LHR, the flight is almost completely booked. Being the only nonstop to the UK I think this flight will do quite well.

July 3rd a PDX-AMS also seems to have a lot of bookings this far out. Any reason why July 3rd seems to have more seat assignments than other days?
 
doug_or
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2000 9:55 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:01 pm

RWA380 wrote:
So in reference to AS / VX merge, according to one of my AS friends, this lady flies for them & has indicated that the "layoffs" being speculated about will be mostly this.

Staffing will be based upon seniority, as VX is about 8 years old, you'll find that most AS employees have a decade of service or longer. When the seniority lists are finally merged way down the road, if there are redundant positions, those eliminated will be the lower on the seniority list & that may include some AS newbies. As is excpected, PDX is a high seniority base, my friend just got the OK to move here after spending the last decade flying out of ANC. Before that she worked with QX, which I guess many AAG employees start with QX then move up to AS (if possible) as your seniority builds. Many happy employees at AS with longevity, sounds like people are happy & not that many are leaving.


32andBelow wrote:
I don't think you can bid up from QX or AS. Any AS new hire no matter from QX or another airline would be totally at the bottom. They are completely different.


You are correct, QX and AS are completely different companies with different seniority lists under different unions who both happen to be owned by the same holding company. Employees wishing to move between companies must interview along with people off the street.

The redundancies that VX/AS have said would be created are admin/HQ/office jobs. These types of positions are not seniority based and thus there is no seniority list to combine.

Not sure about mechanics, but the combined lists for pilots and F/As will not be straight date of hire.

PDX can be held by FOs or FAs with less than 2 years of seniority at AS. CA is probably around 10 years or more, but anyone who had the seniority to upgrade 10 years ago could easily hold it now. Anyone who's seniority (until recently) couldn't hold PDX CA would not have been able to upgrade 10 years ago, and thus could have been holding PDX FO (TL;DR? no AS flight crewmember has spent the last 10 years in ANC because they couldn't hold anything else).
When in doubt, one B pump off
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:11 pm

RWA380 wrote:
I really think if we get a South Florida flight it'll be AS to FLL vs AA to MIA. AA just added LAX-PDX so that is the last add from them in a very long time here at PDX, they are showing PDX some love. Maybe a Seasonal n/s might be the correct way to test the waters properly, let's see if AS wants to do that.


Those are just more flights mainly for people to connect to AA in LAX (we now have 16-18 daily to LAX with 5 airlines!) as opposed to adding unserved (MIA) and underserved (e.g. DC) routes. But if Alaska is building a relationship with AA and/or OneWorld (and cutting Delta), wouldn't MIA make more sense for Caribbean and South America connections? FLL is a JetBlue hub.

Also, didn't someone say awhile back that AA/OW had requested more gate space at PDX? (Concourse C will eventually be all Alaska and American (+other OneWorld??))
 
Airnerd
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:13 pm

I could see an AS red-eye to MIA, to connect with AA flights. And I could also see an AS daytime flight to MCO.
 
ANA787
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:37 pm

Airnerd wrote:
I could see an AS red-eye to MIA, to connect with AA flights. And I could also see an AS daytime flight to MCO.

Daily Year-round AS PDX-MCO resumes March 16, 2017. Daytime flights in both directions.
 
BlatantEcho
Posts: 2098
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2000 10:11 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:04 am

ANA787 wrote:
Booked tickets on the nonstop delta PDX-LHR. Bookings appear to be fairly good this far out judging by the seat maps. Especially July 3rd PDX-LHR, the flight is almost completely booked. Being the only nonstop to the UK I think this flight will do quite well.

July 3rd a PDX-AMS also seems to have a lot of bookings this far out. Any reason why July 3rd seems to have more seat assignments than other days?



I have started planning to do the PDX-LHR flight that week as well. Do a quick 4-5 day trip. Hadn't noticed the flight being full yet, I kind of doubt the seat map reflects reality at this point yet.
But, it's only what, 3x weekly? Anyway, I'm super interested how it does, as London is my prime business city in Europe to go to .


Just did PDX-AMS-BUD, PRG-AMS-PDX last week. God I wish that flight left PDX at 4pm instead of 1:40, and then left AMS more like noon than 10am. The times are terrible, connection banks or otherwise. Up at 330am in Prague to get connection.... ugh, just gets old.
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:52 am

Did you folks notice the KS8100 ferry flight this afternoon from PDX to LMT? Will be the inaugural PenAir LMT-PDX flight in the morning, as K-Falls returns to the aviation age.
- -
On a side note, I ran into the CEC airport manager this afternoon, while sending off my sister-in-law back to SMF via PDX on KS and QX, and complimented him on his parking lot being pretty full again. (It's a mess with road construction setting up for the new terminal). He said KS is averaging about a 50% load factor CEC-PDX, which is above KS's projection and with the EAS subsidy is doing well. I asked him if they had noticed a dip when the airline lowered the ACV-PDX fares to more closely match the CEC fares; he said no dip, but that growth had plateaued at CEC, most likely as a result.
I also asked him, jokingly, about the need for some southbound service, specifically to SMF where my sister-in-law was heading; a hesitating response, saying he couldn't say anything but that expansion talks are apparently in the shadows. Fingers crossed! I know Del Norte County (CA) and Curry County/Brookings/Gold Beach OR are making some noise about that. Of course SFO would serve more people, but it's expensive for a PenAir-sized operation.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 180 airports, 90 airlines, 75 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,117,006 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
PDX757
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
Did you folks notice the KS8100 ferry flight this afternoon from PDX to LMT? Will be the inaugural PenAir LMT-PDX flight in the morning, as K-Falls returns to the aviation age.
- -
On a side note, I ran into the CEC airport manager this afternoon, while sending off my sister-in-law back to SMF via PDX on KS and QX, and complimented him on his parking lot being pretty full again. (It's a mess with road construction setting up for the new terminal). He said KS is averaging about a 50% load factor CEC-PDX, which is above KS's projection and with the EAS subsidy is doing well. I asked him if they had noticed a dip when the airline lowered the ACV-PDX fares to more closely match the CEC fares; he said no dip, but that growth had plateaued at CEC, most likely as a result.
I also asked him, jokingly, about the need for some southbound service, specifically to SMF where my sister-in-law was heading; a hesitating response, saying he couldn't say anything but that expansion talks are apparently in the shadows. Fingers crossed! I know Del Norte County (CA) and Curry County/Brookings/Gold Beach OR are making some noise about that. Of course SFO would serve more people, but it's expensive for a PenAir-sized operation.


Glad to see KS doing so well here! I see lots of ferries down to UAO. What's that all about? Maintenance?
How much more can KS realistically grow at PDX? With their operations in the northeast, Alaska, and now Denver I would think they would be close to maxing out their fleet.
 
dc10lover
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:11 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:16 am

Penair is now in Klamath Falls, Oregon.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5468
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:19 am

jbpdx wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
I really think if we get a South Florida flight it'll be AS to FLL vs AA to MIA. AA just added LAX-PDX so that is the last add from them in a very long time here at PDX, they are showing PDX some love. Maybe a Seasonal n/s might be the correct way to test the waters properly, let's see if AS wants to do that.


Those are just more flights mainly for people to connect to AA in LAX (we now have 16-18 daily to LAX with 5 airlines!) as opposed to adding unserved (MIA) and underserved (e.g. DC) routes. But if Alaska is building a relationship with AA and/or OneWorld (and cutting Delta), wouldn't MIA make more sense for Caribbean and South America connections? FLL is a JetBlue hub.

Also, didn't someone say awhile back that AA/OW had requested more gate space at PDX? (Concourse C will eventually be all Alaska and American (+other OneWorld??))


AS flies to FLL vs MIA & dropped MIA in favor of FLL. Concorse C will be just AA & AS, which it seems is about half of the movements here at PDX.
AA had requested the gates at the end of C, which some speculated could be because AA wants to bring larger aircraft to PDX like the 321's. Others have speculated that One World should have a focus city at PDX if AS would join in.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6262
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:37 am

dc10lover wrote:
Penair is now in Klamath Falls, Oregon.


Anyone have photos? I'm flying that flight over Thanksgiving.
 
DBun
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:25 am

RWA380 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
I really think if we get a South Florida flight it'll be AS to FLL vs AA to MIA. AA just added LAX-PDX so that is the last add from them in a very long time here at PDX, they are showing PDX some love. Maybe a Seasonal n/s might be the correct way to test the waters properly, let's see if AS wants to do that.


Those are just more flights mainly for people to connect to AA in LAX (we now have 16-18 daily to LAX with 5 airlines!) as opposed to adding unserved (MIA) and underserved (e.g. DC) routes. But if Alaska is building a relationship with AA and/or OneWorld (and cutting Delta), wouldn't MIA make more sense for Caribbean and South America connections? FLL is a JetBlue hub.

Also, didn't someone say awhile back that AA/OW had requested more gate space at PDX? (Concourse C will eventually be all Alaska and American (+other OneWorld??))


AS flies to FLL vs MIA & dropped MIA in favor of FLL. Concorse C will be just AA & AS, which it seems is about half of the movements here at PDX.
AA had requested the gates at the end of C, which some speculated could be because AA wants to bring larger aircraft to PDX like the 321's. Others have speculated that One World should have a focus city at PDX if AS would join in.


What Oneworld Carriers other than AA would realistically expand to PDX? We all talk about BA to LHR, and maybe JL if delta ends up dropping NRT. I don't see Cathay or Qantas being interested.

I like the idea of PDX being a small international hub as a friendlier alternative to other west coast hubs and catering to our growing O/D traffic, but don't see it realistically happening for another ten years.
 
pdxswa
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:50 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:34 am

Some Whidbey Island based Growlers starting up in the setting sun.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5468
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:36 am

DBun wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Those are just more flights mainly for people to connect to AA in LAX (we now have 16-18 daily to LAX with 5 airlines!) as opposed to adding unserved (MIA) and underserved (e.g. DC) routes. But if Alaska is building a relationship with AA and/or OneWorld (and cutting Delta), wouldn't MIA make more sense for Caribbean and South America connections? FLL is a JetBlue hub.

Also, didn't someone say awhile back that AA/OW had requested more gate space at PDX? (Concourse C will eventually be all Alaska and American (+other OneWorld??))


AS flies to FLL vs MIA & dropped MIA in favor of FLL. Concorse C will be just AA & AS, which it seems is about half of the movements here at PDX.
AA had requested the gates at the end of C, which some speculated could be because AA wants to bring larger aircraft to PDX like the 321's. Others have speculated that One World should have a focus city at PDX if AS would join in.


What Oneworld Carriers other than AA would realistically expand to PDX? We all talk about BA to LHR, and maybe JL if delta ends up dropping NRT. I don't see Cathay or Qantas being interested.

I like the idea of PDX being a small international hub as a friendlier alternative to other west coast hubs and catering to our growing O/D traffic, but don't see it realistically happening for another ten years.


JL & BA are the two carriers that I would expect to make the first moves if this were to ever come to fruition. I know BA has shopped PDX before, the 787 is a perfect aircraft for the route, IMO.

JL would be a better choice for PDX-NRT with feed on both ends (again if AS is in it). I think CX with cargo flights here at PDX already, wouldn't be out of the question & Air Berlin, but I'd agree with your timeline of a decade or so.

I doubt we'll ever see, in my lifetime at least: LA, QF, MS, IB or RJ, but a QR 787 to Doha would be our first & only link to the M.E. & the rest of the world. Another perfect 787 route. PDX is the kind of city that is perfect for 787 operations for TPAC or TATL.

Although not OneWorld, I think the Chinese carrier Hainan should start PEK-PDX, only with a good tie-up with AS & they'll end up being the dominant carrier on the route for decades to come. The route will happen, it's a matter of just who & when. Oregon trades with China more than any one other country & there are more people going for a myriad of reasons every year.

I agree that I have a vision for PDX & it involves a dozen or so International carriers & all the majors, plus the appropriate regionals. We have the best facility in America according to a few publications of notoriety & we are just undergoing a big expansion project to ensure the ability of PDX to expand when new carriers are beating on the door in the future, we didn't wait until we were crammed to capacity to start making decisions like SEA did..
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
DBun
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:54 pm

RWA380 wrote:
DBun wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

AS flies to FLL vs MIA & dropped MIA in favor of FLL. Concorse C will be just AA & AS, which it seems is about half of the movements here at PDX.
AA had requested the gates at the end of C, which some speculated could be because AA wants to bring larger aircraft to PDX like the 321's. Others have speculated that One World should have a focus city at PDX if AS would join in.


What Oneworld Carriers other than AA would realistically expand to PDX? We all talk about BA to LHR, and maybe JL if delta ends up dropping NRT. I don't see Cathay or Qantas being interested.

I like the idea of PDX being a small international hub as a friendlier alternative to other west coast hubs and catering to our growing O/D traffic, but don't see it realistically happening for another ten years.


JL & BA are the two carriers that I would expect to make the first moves if this were to ever come to fruition. I know BA has shopped PDX before, the 787 is a perfect aircraft for the route, IMO.

JL would be a better choice for PDX-NRT with feed on both ends (again if AS is in it). I think CX with cargo flights here at PDX already, wouldn't be out of the question & Air Berlin, but I'd agree with your timeline of a decade or so.

I doubt we'll ever see, in my lifetime at least: LA, QF, MS, IB or RJ, but a QR 787 to Doha would be our first & only link to the M.E. & the rest of the world. Another perfect 787 route. PDX is the kind of city that is perfect for 787 operations for TPAC or TATL.

Although not OneWorld, I think the Chinese carrier Hainan should start PEK-PDX, only with a good tie-up with AS & they'll end up being the dominant carrier on the route for decades to come. The route will happen, it's a matter of just who & when. Oregon trades with China more than any one other country & there are more people going for a myriad of reasons every year.

I agree that I have a vision for PDX & it involves a dozen or so International carriers & all the majors, plus the appropriate regionals. We have the best facility in America according to a few publications of notoriety & we are just undergoing a big expansion project to ensure the ability of PDX to expand when new carriers are beating on the door in the future, we didn't wait until we were crammed to capacity to start making decisions like SEA did..


I agree that most of your possible 787 routes are possible. To help make that happen I personally would like to see a new international arrivals facility, or a modification of the existing one so that you don't need to take a awkward bus ride back to the main part of the terminal. The problem with the current CC-D is that its on two floors, with the lower floor FIS being at ground level. whereas most International terminals have a third level for FIS. It's not absolutely terrible by any means, and still better than whats current on offer at SEA, but its not ideal for larger scale international ops.
 
Airnerd
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:38 pm

DBun wrote:


I agree that most of your possible 787 routes are possible. To help make that happen I personally would like to see a new international arrivals facility, or a modification of the existing one so that you don't need to take a awkward bus ride back to the main part of the terminal. The problem with the current CC-D is that its on two floors, with the lower floor FIS being at ground level. whereas most International terminals have a third level for FIS. It's not absolutely terrible by any means, and still better than whats current on offer at SEA, but its not ideal for larger scale international ops.


I agree on the routes and carriers suggested as possible here. I would add EK, because PDX could make as much sense as many of their incomprehensible routes. I also think it's possible that LH could one day come back and replace Condor.

The bus you have to take from the FIS to arrivals is a hassle. I personally enjoy the opportunity to drive around the terminal on the tarmac and am willing to spend an extra 5-10 minutes for that opportunity, but I recognize that most travelers do not. Still, I've heard no suggestions of a potential fix for the problem as it's quite a long way from the end of D to the main terminal outside of security.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 3967
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:54 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
Penair is now in Klamath Falls, Oregon.


Anyone have photos? I'm flying that flight over Thanksgiving.

http://www.kdrv.com/news/Passengers_Loc ... ights.html
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5468
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:56 pm

DBun wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
DBun wrote:

What Oneworld Carriers other than AA would realistically expand to PDX? We all talk about BA to LHR, and maybe JL if delta ends up dropping NRT. I don't see Cathay or Qantas being interested.

I like the idea of PDX being a small international hub as a friendlier alternative to other west coast hubs and catering to our growing O/D traffic, but don't see it realistically happening for another ten years.


JL & BA are the two carriers that I would expect to make the first moves if this were to ever come to fruition. I know BA has shopped PDX before, the 787 is a perfect aircraft for the route, IMO.

JL would be a better choice for PDX-NRT with feed on both ends (again if AS is in it). I think CX with cargo flights here at PDX already, wouldn't be out of the question & Air Berlin, but I'd agree with your timeline of a decade or so.

I doubt we'll ever see, in my lifetime at least: LA, QF, MS, IB or RJ, but a QR 787 to Doha would be our first & only link to the M.E. & the rest of the world. Another perfect 787 route. PDX is the kind of city that is perfect for 787 operations for TPAC or TATL.

Although not OneWorld, I think the Chinese carrier Hainan should start PEK-PDX, only with a good tie-up with AS & they'll end up being the dominant carrier on the route for decades to come. The route will happen, it's a matter of just who & when. Oregon trades with China more than any one other country & there are more people going for a myriad of reasons every year.

I agree that I have a vision for PDX & it involves a dozen or so International carriers & all the majors, plus the appropriate regionals. We have the best facility in America according to a few publications of notoriety & we are just undergoing a big expansion project to ensure the ability of PDX to expand when new carriers are beating on the door in the future, we didn't wait until we were crammed to capacity to start making decisions like SEA did..


I agree that most of your possible 787 routes are possible. To help make that happen I personally would like to see a new international arrivals facility, or a modification of the existing one so that you don't need to take a awkward bus ride back to the main part of the terminal. The problem with the current CC-D is that its on two floors, with the lower floor FIS being at ground level. whereas most International terminals have a third level for FIS. It's not absolutely terrible by any means, and still better than whats current on offer at SEA, but its not ideal for larger scale international ops.


I agree that the facilities here are needing improvement for more International flying. However at the DL hub peak there were NRT, TPE, SEL, FUK & NGO arrivals all at the same time 9approx) & FIS was able to handle those, albeit fairly heavy handed it's a nicer facility because it isn't SEA's current mess.

Right now we have DL to NRT & AMS, LHR next summer, FI, DE, Y4 (which comes at non peak hours). So we are likely close to capacity at peak hours already, so indeed to add BA, JL & HU we'd need more room. I'd like to see FIS on both C & D after the port extends those concourses. AS would certainly enjoy having their SJD & PVR flights coming into the same terminal the rest of the flights are in. Maybe we'd get a CUN flight down the road from AS.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
DBun
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:11 pm

RWA380 wrote:
DBun wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

JL & BA are the two carriers that I would expect to make the first moves if this were to ever come to fruition. I know BA has shopped PDX before, the 787 is a perfect aircraft for the route, IMO.

JL would be a better choice for PDX-NRT with feed on both ends (again if AS is in it). I think CX with cargo flights here at PDX already, wouldn't be out of the question & Air Berlin, but I'd agree with your timeline of a decade or so.

I doubt we'll ever see, in my lifetime at least: LA, QF, MS, IB or RJ, but a QR 787 to Doha would be our first & only link to the M.E. & the rest of the world. Another perfect 787 route. PDX is the kind of city that is perfect for 787 operations for TPAC or TATL.

Although not OneWorld, I think the Chinese carrier Hainan should start PEK-PDX, only with a good tie-up with AS & they'll end up being the dominant carrier on the route for decades to come. The route will happen, it's a matter of just who & when. Oregon trades with China more than any one other country & there are more people going for a myriad of reasons every year.

I agree that I have a vision for PDX & it involves a dozen or so International carriers & all the majors, plus the appropriate regionals. We have the best facility in America according to a few publications of notoriety & we are just undergoing a big expansion project to ensure the ability of PDX to expand when new carriers are beating on the door in the future, we didn't wait until we were crammed to capacity to start making decisions like SEA did..


I agree that most of your possible 787 routes are possible. To help make that happen I personally would like to see a new international arrivals facility, or a modification of the existing one so that you don't need to take a awkward bus ride back to the main part of the terminal. The problem with the current CC-D is that its on two floors, with the lower floor FIS being at ground level. whereas most International terminals have a third level for FIS. It's not absolutely terrible by any means, and still better than whats current on offer at SEA, but its not ideal for larger scale international ops.


I agree that the facilities here are needing improvement for more International flying. However at the DL hub peak there were NRT, TPE, SEL, FUK & NGO arrivals all at the same time 9approx) & FIS was able to handle those, albeit fairly heavy handed it's a nicer facility because it isn't SEA's current mess.

Right now we have DL to NRT & AMS, LHR next summer, FI, DE, Y4 (which comes at non peak hours). So we are likely close to capacity at peak hours already, so indeed to add BA, JL & HU we'd need more room. I'd like to see FIS on both C & D after the port extends those concourses. AS would certainly enjoy having their SJD & PVR flights coming into the same terminal the rest of the flights are in. Maybe we'd get a CUN flight down the road from AS.


Perhaps, more logically, they could remodel B to handle larger jets and place the FIS facility there so it could exit directly into the lower level baggage facility. Not sure if the Apron in front of B can handle larger planes. There was also a potential satellite terminal west of D and C in the last master plan that I could see eventually being the primary international CC (if) it gets built.
 
pdxswa
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:50 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Frequent vistors to PDX are navy squadrons. That take advantage of the vast low level ranges that are among the best in the United States.
 
lhpdx
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:23 pm

CC-E extension update and illustration...

http://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/Oct1 ... pdated.pdf

Scroll down to page 16-22....
 
dc10lover
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:11 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:32 am

Seems Seattle is maxed out by Delta. Do you think Delta should add to PDX and try to combine SEA & PDX to make an even larger hub for Delta?
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.
 
pdx
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:10 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:04 am

lhpdx wrote:
CC-E extension update and illustration...

http://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/Oct1 ... pdated.pdf

Scroll down to page 16-22....


Wonder where SY, B6, and KS are going? I don't see them on the map.
 
ANA787
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:32 am

Anyone know what they are building at the end of D concourse near the international gates? They are constructing something where the old Delta International crown room used to be located(above the terminal level looking down). New lounge perhaps?
 
User avatar
ramprat74
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:01 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:16 pm

They just rebuilt the bus shelters at D8 and E2 for the international buses, so this is the POP solution to having C&BP at the end of concourse D.
 
ANA787
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:24 pm

ramprat74 wrote:
They just rebuilt the bus shelters at D8 and E2 for the international buses, so this is the POP solution to having C&BP at the end of concourse D.


They are building something INSIDE the terminal up above where the old duty free shop used to be at the end of D. Anyone know what? This vacated space above(looking down on the concourse) used to be an old Delta lounge. Hopefully a new lounge is going in. An Amex lounge maybe?
 
User avatar
ramprat74
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:01 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:17 pm

Video of the new Mecham Air Center. I'm surprised the old United GSE buidling is staying with all the new construction down there. I don't know what Atlantic will use it for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3uZWpCSUO8
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Latest OAG: In April Spirit is cutting back Las Vegas and Chicago, and eliminating Dallas. United is cutting back Houston in March, but that's because Alaska begins nonstop PDX-Orlando and many people had to use UA for that long connecting flight to Florida. Sun Country adds in June to MSP.
 
ANA787
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:43 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Latest OAG: In April Spirit is cutting back Las Vegas and Chicago, and eliminating Dallas. United is cutting back Houston in March, but that's because Alaska begins nonstop PDX-Orlando and many people had to use UA for that long connecting flight to Florida. Sun Country adds in June to MSP.

Could we see AS enter the PDX-IAH market? Seems a great opportunity for AS given UA is always cutting back on this one. E175 route?
 
Airnerd
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:47 pm

pdx wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
CC-E extension update and illustration...

http://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/Oct1 ... pdated.pdf

Scroll down to page 16-22....


Wonder where SY, B6, and KS are going? I don't see them on the map.


It's hard for me to imagine that only two gates for props is going to be adequate. Even if AS scales back Q400 flying significantly, you've still got to assume Q's will be flying pretty regularly on anything under 500 miles, and given that there are 10-14 destinations on the route map from PDX in that category, that's quite a few aircraft. Plus, as was mentioned before, you've got Penair now with 5 destinations out of PDX on Saab A340s. How is all that prop activity going to work out of the two gates shown at the edge of the "to be closed" A concourse?

This isn't even to mention the notion of maintaining some future capacity to accommodate props for some other airline, if one were to decide to start flying them out of PDX.
 
derek0aa
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Airnerd wrote:

This isn't even to mention the notion of maintaining some future capacity to accommodate props for some other airline, if one were to decide to start flying them out of PDX.



Westjet Encore comes to mind... ;)
 
lhpdx
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:15 pm

Airnerd wrote:
pdx wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
CC-E extension update and illustration...

http://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/Oct1 ... pdated.pdf

Scroll down to page 16-22....


Wonder where SY, B6, and KS are going? I don't see them on the map.


It's hard for me to imagine that only two gates for props is going to be adequate. Even if AS scales back Q400 flying significantly, you've still got to assume Q's will be flying pretty regularly on anything under 500 miles, and given that there are 10-14 destinations on the route map from PDX in that category, that's quite a few aircraft. Plus, as was mentioned before, you've got Penair now with 5 destinations out of PDX on Saab A340s. How is all that prop activity going to work out of the two gates shown at the edge of the "to be closed" A concourse?

This isn't even to mention the notion of maintaining some future capacity to accommodate props for some other airline, if one were to decide to start flying them out of PDX.

If you look at the diagram closely you will notice that on the extended Concourse e there's going to be a new ground level hold room located at the end. It's possible that Penair will be located here.
 
User avatar
PDXPOL
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:47 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:44 pm

ANA787 wrote:
Anyone know what they are building at the end of D concourse near the international gates? They are constructing something where the old Delta International crown room used to be located(above the terminal level looking down). New lounge perhaps?



Just construction staging. They are using that area for roof access. They are redoing the heating and air conditioning.
 
User avatar
PDXPOL
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:47 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:49 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Airnerd wrote:
pdx wrote:

Wonder where SY, B6, and KS are going? I don't see them on the map.


It's hard for me to imagine that only two gates for props is going to be adequate. Even if AS scales back Q400 flying significantly, you've still got to assume Q's will be flying pretty regularly on anything under 500 miles, and given that there are 10-14 destinations on the route map from PDX in that category, that's quite a few aircraft. Plus, as was mentioned before, you've got Penair now with 5 destinations out of PDX on Saab A340s. How is all that prop activity going to work out of the two gates shown at the edge of the "to be closed" A

concourse?

This isn't even to mention the notion of maintaining some future capacity to accommodate props for some other airline, if one were to decide to start flying them out of PDX.

If you look at the diagram closely you will notice that on the extended Concourse e there's going to be a new ground level hold room located at the end. It's possible that Penair will be located here.



Current plan is to leave Penn Air at the B gates. The Port indicated that B can handle the additional ground loading with those new ramps that connect to the loading bridges.
 
Airnerd
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:05 pm

PDXPOL wrote:
Current plan is to leave Penn Air at the B gates. The Port indicated that B can handle the additional ground loading with those new ramps that connect to the loading bridges.


Well, given their codeshare relationship with AS that sure makes more sense than putting them in the middle of WN operations at the end of E.

I'm just not sure how the Q's and Saab 340s all fit into the mostly closed Concourse A in the proposed scenario. Where today PDX offers 19 ground loading stations, the proposal would seem to indicate only 2. Two things I might be missing:
1. Maybe they continue to use some of the ground loading stations out towards Concourse A, but provide access mostly from B?
2. Is it possible that Q400s can use Jetways? or at least gates with Jetways? If so, we could see them anywhere on C...
 
PDX757
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:19 am

Airnerd wrote:
PDXPOL wrote:
Current plan is to leave Penn Air at the B gates. The Port indicated that B can handle the additional ground loading with those new ramps that connect to the loading bridges.


Well, given their codeshare relationship with AS that sure makes more sense than putting them in the middle of WN operations at the end of E.

I'm just not sure how the Q's and Saab 340s all fit into the mostly closed Concourse A in the proposed scenario. Where today PDX offers 19 ground loading stations, the proposal would seem to indicate only 2. Two things I might be missing:
1. Maybe they continue to use some of the ground loading stations out towards Concourse A, but provide access mostly from B?
2. Is it possible that Q400s can use Jetways? or at least gates with Jetways? If so, we could see them anywhere on C...


If I'm not mistaken, Q400s can use some jetways. Porter uses them in Toronto but I'm pretty sure they were specifically made for the Q400.
QX ops at FAI use a bridge: http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/alaska-airlines-plans-jet-bridge-for-turboprop-plane-access-in/article_ab26db48-36b7-11e3-ab0a-0019bb30f31a.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos