dc10lover

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 13

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:36 am

Serious question. Should Delta / Delta Connection enter the PDX - GEG market? Or is the market too small?
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

dc10lover

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 am

ANA787 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
AS will ad two of those mentioned cities by end of year 2017 to PDX, that I know of.

PDX757 wrote:
New 175 routes are announced, MKE/ABQ/DEN/TUS come to mind

AS already flies PDX-TUS. So that leaves MKE/ABQ/DEN. Which two? DEN is a given IMO, a huge gap in the AS network. ABQ also seems likely since WN is dropping PDX-ABQ.

Does Southwest fly between PDX & DEN?
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

ANA787

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:54 am

dc10lover wrote:
Serious question. Should Delta / Delta Connection enter the PDX - GEG market? Or is the market too small?

My guess is DL, like AS, will try to push as much connecting traffic through SEA as possible. But who knows. If DL continues to build PDX like they have been and want to increase their marketshare then maybe we'll see a couple E175s running PDX-GEG/BOI/SFO/SJC/LAS/SAN. Maybe a year round PDX-HNL flight as well as seasonal PDX-CDG.

PDX757

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:30 pm

ANA787 wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

My guess is DL, like AS, will try to push as much connecting traffic through SEA as possible. But who knows. If DL continues to build PDX like they have been and want to increase their marketshare then maybe we'll see a couple E175s running PDX-GEG/BOI/SFO/SJC/LAS/SAN. Maybe a year round PDX-HNL flight as well as seasonal PDX-CDG.

DL's buildup in the PNW appears to be less of an earnest creation of a hub at SEA, as was suggested in a separate thread today, and more of an attempt to weaken AS. Not to speculate too much, but any plans DL may have had in acquiring AS have surely been snuffed out after the merger with VX, I don't see any way the DOJ would ever let DL take over AS after the merger.
DL is certainly a large presence at PDX, this seems out of place with SEA right up the road. Any insight as to the security of The AMS and NRT flights once the AS feed ends? I'm sure DL wouldn't be adding LHR if they were counting on AS feed.

PDX757

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:33 pm

dc10lover wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
AS will ad two of those mentioned cities by end of year 2017 to PDX, that I know of.

AS already flies PDX-TUS. So that leaves MKE/ABQ/DEN. Which two? DEN is a given IMO, a huge gap in the AS network. ABQ also seems likely since WN is dropping PDX-ABQ.

They do, along with UA and F9.

PDXPOL

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:36 am

PDX757 wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

DL's buildup in the PNW appears to be less of an earnest creation of a hub at SEA, as was suggested in a separate thread today, and more of an attempt to weaken AS. Not to speculate too much, but any plans DL may have had in acquiring AS have surely been snuffed out after the merger with VX, I don't see any way the DOJ would ever let DL take over AS after the merger.
DL is certainly a large presence at PDX, this seems out of place with SEA right up the road. Any insight as to the security of The AMS and NRT flights once the AS feed ends? I'm sure DL wouldn't be adding LHR if they were counting on AS feed.

DL's AMS, NRT, and soon to be LHR all are supported mainly with O&D traffic. DL does not need Alaska for support on their international flights out of PDX. AMS and NRT maintain a high load factor year round. I am sure that LHR will too and most likely go year round once they can secure an aircraft for year round service. I dont see DL entering any other markets smaller than PDX with SEA and SLC just a short distance away. I do know that the Port had pushed for CDG quite a bit, but after Iceland Air and Condor entered the market that have pulled back a little. The Port has said that the summer market can still support additional flights to Europe.

pdxav8r

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:41 am

[quote="dc10lover"]Serious question. Should Delta / Delta Connection enter the PDX - GEG market? Or is the market too small

pdxav8r

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:57 am

PDXPOL wrote:
PDX757 wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

DL's AMS, NRT, and soon to be LHR all are supported mainly with O&D traffic. DL does not need Alaska for support on their international flights out of PDX. AMS and NRT maintain a high load factor year round. I am sure that LHR will too and most likely go year round once they can secure an aircraft for year round service. I dont see DL entering any other markets smaller than PDX with SEA and SLC just a short distance away. I do know that the Port had pushed for CDG quite a bit, but after Iceland Air and Condor entered the market that have pulled back a little. The Port has said that the summer market can still support additional flights to Europe.

AMS is not supported mainly with O&D traffic. It is mainly connecting. LHR will be however, as it is the prime European O&D destination from PDX. If NRT traffic was so high year round, it wouldn't be less than daily part of the year. To say DL doesn't need AS connections from PDX is purely speculative, and won't be determined for some time. I would suspect their traffic will suffer somewhat without the AS tag. DL is not like it is in SEA. They aren't going full media/sponsorships like SEA. DL has corporate in-town sponsorships in PDX, but AS still maintains a massive loyalty here. Honestly, just an assumption on my part, but if BA or JL were to jump into PDX, DL would suffer greatly because of the lack of an AS tag, and probably push them out of the market.

NWAESC

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:14 pm

PDX757 wrote:
My modest predictions:
DL makes LHR year round
Condor goes year round
Icelandair goes daily but remains seasonal
-That's a lot of extra lift to Europe
QX 175s are deployed on existing routes
AA starts seasonal MIA

Would love to see PDX-MKE!
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

pnwpdx

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:50 pm

I just noticed that Delta has 3 flights to LAS today and 3 LAS-PDX. Yesterday, it looks like Delta has three LAS-PDX flights and two PDX-LAS flights. And three PDX/LAS flights tomorrow. Does Delta now have seasonal flights to LAS from PDX?
Next Flight:
PDX-SEA-PHX-LAX-PDX on DL

32andBelow

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:55 pm

pnwpdx wrote:
I just noticed that Delta has 3 flights to LAS today and 3 LAS-PDX. Yesterday, it looks like Delta has three LAS-PDX flights and two PDX-LAS flights. And three PDX/LAS flights tomorrow. Does Delta now have seasonal flights to LAS from PDX?

CES

pdxswa

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Nice to see some military in town for the new year. VFA-154 dropped in for a brief stay. Before heading out for the low level routes in WA State.

RWA380

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:39 pm

dc10lover wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Yes WN operates PDX-DEN, if AS jumps in that is 4 carriers IIRC, UA, F9, WN & AS. I hate that AS let WN have that route, it needs to come back & IMHO will this year.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

flyboy80

Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:27 am

I'm curious about market share to both Europe and Asia from Pdx. I imagine there are many Asia connections via SFO, especially China, and even Europe via ORD and AMS. Alaskas code sharing with BA probably sucks up a large amount of the traffic to LHR from OR/WA as well.

CrisAA

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:28 am

All Southwest flights from/to PDX for 08JAN are cancelled due to the ice storm. Yikes! Most airlines are starting ops around noon. We will see if that works out.

BNAOWB

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 am

flyboy80 wrote:
I'm curious about market share to both Europe and Asia from Pdx. I imagine there are many Asia connections via SFO, especially China, and even Europe via ORD and AMS. Alaskas code sharing with BA probably sucks up a large amount of the traffic to LHR from OR/WA as well.

I am curious also. Wouldn't PDX-SEA/YVR-Asia exceed PDX-SFO-Asia and PDX-SEA/YVR-Europe exceed PDX-North American airport east of Rockies-Europe?

32andBelow

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:40 am

CrisAA wrote:
All Southwest flights from/to PDX for 08JAN are cancelled due to the ice storm. Yikes! Most airlines are starting ops around noon. We will see if that works out.

Isn't the storm passed at this time?

CrisAA

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:52 am

The snow has passed but they issued a ice storm warning until 10pm Sunday night American Airlines has cancelled all inbounds and outbounds as well.

BlatantEcho

Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:59 pm

flyboy80 wrote:

A few years ago I heard 1000 people a day went to Europe from Portland. True or not I do not know.

Right now, options are limited enough (especially in winter), that most of it is likely going via SEA/SFO/YVR if not all the other major hubs.

I, generally, refuse to connect in another West Coast city, unless there is simply no good option (next month I'm doing PDX-YVR-HKG-MAA to get to India.... woof).
I wish we could see some updated statistics about how many passengers are going to Asia and how many to Europe each day.
That would help give some context to our existing service as well as dream of future services abroad!

flyboy80

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:03 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
flyboy80 wrote:

A few years ago I heard 1000 people a day went to Europe from Portland. True or not I do not know.

Right now, options are limited enough (especially in winter), that most of it is likely going via SEA/SFO/YVR if not all the other major hubs.

I, generally, refuse to connect in another West Coast city, unless there is simply no good option (next month I'm doing PDX-YVR-HKG-MAA to get to India.... woof).
I wish we could see some updated statistics about how many passengers are going to Asia and how many to Europe each day.
That would help give some context to our existing service as well as dream of future services abroad!

Curious if you take this routing based on brand and product, or for other reasons?

Regarding PDX-Europe I can't imagine PDX having nearly the amount of corporate traffic somewhere like MSP or SEA does, and would think the route must be a pretty even split between business customers, VFR, and leisure... Asia on the other hand from PDX probably has a larger corporate presence, although I would imagine a sizable amount of VFR traffic as well. It makes me wonder if, in both cases, a foreign flag carrier the likes of BA, JL, NH would look to deploy an aircraft to somewhere like PDX despite all these rumors; Could it really be a market to make money, or is PDX better served on a smaller scale basis as-is in the current state with DL. Perhaps an eventually Hainan flight to China I can see, because as I understand it, they're a lower cost Asia carrier. Hmmm, lots to analyze here for sure.

CrisAA

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Talked about in another thread but American Airlines is adding 3 new routes in Oregon starting June 2
LAX-MFR – operated by SkyWest as American Eagle
PHX-MFR – operated by SkyWest as American Eagle
PHX-Eugene, Oregon (EUG) – operated by SkyWest as American Eagle
These will be year round adds

toobz

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:46 pm

PDXPOL wrote:
PDX757 wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

I think the PDX -NRT/Europe flights are here to stay. DL commands fare premium over SEA on these routes.

flyboy80

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:39 am

I would love to see a couple "odd balls" from PDX on Delta like HNL or ANC on a more year round basis. I believe ANC has been seasonal in the past for summer, but not sure if it was daily. I believe this winter was the second for HNL seasonal, although I think this year it only operated a couple weeks. This spring Delta will have two JFK flights I've noticed, and in summer that moves to three. Have they ever operated two consistently, let alone three, post 9/11?

metaldirtnskin

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:15 am

CrisAA wrote:
Talked about in another thread but American Airlines is adding 3 new routes in Oregon starting June 2

EUG-PHX will be welcome; currently the only nonstop choice is G4 into AZA.

However - poking around on AA's site, it looks like both EUG-LAX and EUG-PHX will be CRJ-700 (LAX was an E175 last time I flew it). :thumbsdown:

agentskelly

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:38 am

RWA380 wrote:
The only scheduled carrier that I'm aware of that ever offered commercial sercvice out of HIO was Far West Airlines, twin prop service to OTH, MFR & BFI, this is an image of the only timetable & route map I've ever seen.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/far.htm

Far West Airlines? Oh jeez...there's ancient history! Something I heard is that they are the reason why at the terminal building, there is an passenger lounge there.

My understanding was that Skywest was asked by United to look into running an "HIO-SJC" shuttle because they were out of slots at PDX at the time to keep up with demand in the 90s; They ran a round trip test flight using an EMB-120, but I am not sure exactly why this test failed...

jbpdx

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Does anyone know how many PDX passengers fly Hawaiian to Australia and New Zealand? The 12:30 arrival in Honolulu allows for connecting to Brisbane and Auckland but not Sydney, which departs at 11:50.
Major airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU; +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

Airnerd

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:59 pm

ANA787 wrote:
Southwest is adding PDX-SFO 3x daily starting June 4, 2017.

That's a really nice add. My perception is that will all their service cuts, passenger loyalty to UA is as low as it's ever been at PDX, so I think they'll do quite well with folks looking for alternatives.

atcpeter

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Airnerd wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

That's a really nice add. My perception is that will all their service cuts, passenger loyalty to UA is as low as it's ever been at PDX, so I think they'll do quite well with folks looking for alternatives.

I'm betting this is one of WN's first moves to put some competitive pressure on AS/VX. It will give pax a decent number of connecting options on WN to socal as well (BUR, ONT, SAN, LAX).

Wingtips56

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:44 am

CrisAA wrote:

:cloudnine: Did you guys all hear me shout "Yay!!!" out loud from my desk? I've been hoping for a second MFR-LAX frequency, and AA/Eagle is even better (as an AA Retiree). PHX is a bonus.
The only louder shout you'll hear from me would be if AA/Eagle adds ACV (shorter drive from CEC, and no snow in winter to deal with going to MFR). But I guess I'd be shouting in a non-Oregon thread.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

doug_or

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:10 am

CrisAA wrote:

I believe Mesa/US Airways operated PHX-EUG and PHX-MFR up until sometime in the 2007-2010 timeframe. Good to see them rebuilding the PHX hub.
When in doubt, one B pump off

dc10lover

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:14 am

I would "Luv" to see Southwest add more flights and more cities from PDX.

dc10lover

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 am

Airnerd wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

The thing is, this is not the real United Airlines. They need to go back to their roots and back to the Tulip. I notice on many routes, United flies the smallest regional jets while the competition flies larger regional jets. Example: KPSC. United flies crj200's while Delta flies crj900's. Denver / Salt Lake City.

RWA380

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 pm

RWA380 wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
What are your 2017 predictions for PDX?

I'll start:

PDX-MIA will be announced.
A new PDX-Asia route will be announced. My guess is JL to NRT, KE to ICN or CX to HKG.
PDX-CDG summer seasonal will be announced on DL.
DL will go year round on PDX-HNL.
BA announces PDX-LHR.
AS adds PDX-DEN/PHL/IAD/ABQ/MKE.

pnwpdx wrote:
I do hope DL goes year round with PDX-HNL.
I also see Icelandair going year round with their service along with Condor.

EK: I wonder if they will ever come to Portland?

I am sill going to expect a PEK-PDX flight on HU at some point, KE would also be a good match for PDX. As long as DL maintains the NRT flight, I'd be surprised if there were any push for an additional service. The DL flight pays for itself in O/D traffic, connections are just gravy.

I'd be very surprised about DL to CDG, there is just too much European build up to/from PDX durig the summer & the TATL is very seasonal to/from PDX.

DL will remain a connection in Seattle or Los Angeles to Hawaii, they aren't interested in fighting out a 3 way battle for lower fares to HNL, with HA & AS. When they fly for two weeks over the Holiday season, they are just shooting fish in a barrel at that point.

PDX757 wrote:

jbpdx wrote:
*Hawaiian adds 2nd HNL flight using A321neo.
*American adds PDX-MIA year round.
*Southwest goes year round or Alaska adds PDX-Baltimore.

If HA adds any PDX service on a 321neo, it'll be OGG-PDX, as AS currently is operating 2 non-stops a day & are unchallenged on the route. IMO, BWI is on the AS radar for PDX.

pnwpdx wrote:
Does anything think HA will add Maui again anytime soon?
And does anyone else foresee additional flights to Mexico? Maybe Mexico City? Or just additional flights to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, or even see Cancun?

Yes, it is a forgone conclusion that HA will return to the OGG-PDX marketonce the 321neo's arrive. The three cities PDX needs service to in Mexico are already all served. If SEA can't support a MEX n/s, neither will PDX. I have heard AS has considered seasonal PDX-CUN flights, not sure if that'll ever happen, but just maybe by Nov 2017.

Well maybe a bit earlier than end of year, MKE & ABQ have just been announced.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1352387&p=19287783#p19287783
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

lhpdx

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 pm

RWA380 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
What are your 2017 predictions for PDX?

I'll start:

PDX-MIA will be announced.
A new PDX-Asia route will be announced. My guess is JL to NRT, KE to ICN or CX to HKG.
PDX-CDG summer seasonal will be announced on DL.
DL will go year round on PDX-HNL.
BA announces PDX-LHR.
AS adds PDX-DEN/PHL/IAD/ABQ/MKE.

pnwpdx wrote:
I do hope DL goes year round with PDX-HNL.
I also see Icelandair going year round with their service along with Condor.

EK: I wonder if they will ever come to Portland?

I am sill going to expect a PEK-PDX flight on HU at some point, KE would also be a good match for PDX. As long as DL maintains the NRT flight, I'd be surprised if there were any push for an additional service. The DL flight pays for itself in O/D traffic, connections are just gravy.

I'd be very surprised about DL to CDG, there is just too much European build up to/from PDX durig the summer & the TATL is very seasonal to/from PDX.

DL will remain a connection in Seattle or Los Angeles to Hawaii, they aren't interested in fighting out a 3 way battle for lower fares to HNL, with HA & AS. When they fly for two weeks over the Holiday season, they are just shooting fish in a barrel at that point.

PDX757 wrote:

jbpdx wrote:
*Hawaiian adds 2nd HNL flight using A321neo.
*American adds PDX-MIA year round.
*Southwest goes year round or Alaska adds PDX-Baltimore.

If HA adds any PDX service on a 321neo, it'll be OGG-PDX, as AS currently is operating 2 non-stops a day & are unchallenged on the route. IMO, BWI is on the AS radar for PDX.

pnwpdx wrote:
Does anything think HA will add Maui again anytime soon?
And does anyone else foresee additional flights to Mexico? Maybe Mexico City? Or just additional flights to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, or even see Cancun?

Yes, it is a forgone conclusion that HA will return to the OGG-PDX marketonce the 321neo's arrive. The three cities PDX needs service to in Mexico are already all served. If SEA can't support a MEX n/s, neither will PDX. I have heard AS has considered seasonal PDX-CUN flights, not sure if that'll ever happen, but just maybe by Nov 2017.

What wonderful news to awakened to beside all of this snow outside...................

RWA380

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:25 am

lhpdx wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

What wonderful news to awakened to beside all of this snow outside...................

Indeed a day when PDX is struggling with ops & AS announces several new routes. OK, so now we have seen PHL, BWI, ABQ & MKE, I still think we get to see PDX-DEN this year, IMHO. Admittedly I've flown PDX-SEA-DEN to be on AS, I don't love it. A good E-175 route for QX.or OO.

I've been hoping these would get announced, timing was surprising to me, but not the destinations.

kon

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:19 am

Any idea when AS will announce PDX-DTW? The only nonstop is a DL red-eye, some competition would be very appreciated.

PDX757

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:32 pm

kon wrote:
Any idea when AS will announce PDX-DTW? The only nonstop is a DL red-eye, some competition would be very appreciated.

DL and AS' ending relationship may make such a flight more difficult to sustain. It would be mostly o&d traffic. Detroit is a large metro area and o&d may be plentiful, a day time flight would do well to serve o&d.

SQ22
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:23 am

Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1352637

Thread will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos