EZYAirbus
Topic Author

Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:02 pm

Strong rumours going around at moment that Monarch are cease operations, their is a United 747-400 at PMI right now that will operate many flights from Spanish destinations back to the UK this week starting tomorrow to BHX.

These "rescue" flights as they are being called are flying to a similar schedule of Monarch.

Anyone heard anything?
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rumor
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

User001

Re: Monarch to cease ops?

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:11 pm

There's also another UA B747-400 sitting at TFS ready to operate to the UK tomorrow.

I don't know what's going on but the UA schedules match the monarch flights on every occasion.....

f4f3a

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Has there been tech issues cancelled flights which could necessitate this . Looking at dep board at Luton everything seems normal

Draken21fx

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Interesting, I will keep an eye as well. In case they cease ops they will be missed :(

bapilot2b

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:52 pm

f4f3a wrote:
Has there been tech issues cancelled flights which could necessitate this . Looking at dep board at Luton everything seems normal

None anybody has brought up. The repatriation flight times are very similar to ZB flights between the same city pairings. Very sad news if true.
Jason Nicholls - v1images

planesarecool

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:04 pm

Sorry but 'repatriation' flights arranged whilst the airline supposedly ceasing is still selling flights and holidays - and not to mention is still operating as normal today. I'm not convinced. And fairly baseless rumours like that aren't helpful to those whose livelihoods depend on the company, including many friends of mine.

Draken21fx

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:05 pm

bapilot2b wrote:
f4f3a wrote:

None anybody has brought up. The repatriation flight times are very similar to ZB flights between the same city pairings. Very sad news if true.

Mentioned by user001 on the second post. What would happen to the rest of the destinations they are serving? Also when would the company start informing passengers if the rumors are true?

bapilot2b

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Draken21fx wrote:
bapilot2b wrote:
f4f3a wrote:

Mentioned by user001 on the second post. What would happen to the rest of the destinations they are serving? Also when would the company start informing passengers if the rumors are true?

We can only hope the rumours are false but there is already a steady flow of information coming from online sources across various mediums reporting the same thing. As for the other passengers I assume this is what the Omni 767 and other UA 744 are for and those are the only ones that have made the open air so far.

Summa767

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:13 pm

Worrying rumours.
As several airlines have been stating, fares are down and you do have to wonder if there is overcapacity to the mass tourist destinations in Spain and Greece as these airlines have moved away or reduced capacity to Egypt, Tunisia and even Turkey.
And going forward could be even more challenging for Monarch as the likes of Ryanair and jet2 increase their offer to the same destinations, chiefly the canaries in winter and the costas in summer.
Demand will be affected too as a low pound will have an impact on numbers holidaying abroad - and the same devalued pound, especially against the dollar since Brexit (still at a 30 year low since the vote- and 20% devalued vs the beginning of the year) means higher costs for the airline.

Why did EasyJey or Norwegian not buy Monarch?
That 737 order could be a liability for both, and perhaps more for EasyJet.

Perhaps if Monarch is closed down and liquidated -easyJet could still negotiate to keep at least some of the great staff at Monarch, some airplanes and routes.
Ditto for Norwegian..

SCQ83

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:25 pm

Summa767 wrote:
Worrying rumours.
As several airlines have been stating, fares are down and you do have to wonder if there is overcapacity to the mass tourist destinations in Spain and Greece as these airlines have moved away or reduced capacity to Egypt, Tunisia and even Turkey.
And going forward could be even more challenging for Monarch as the likes of Ryanair and jet2 increase their offer to the same destinations, chiefly the canaries in winter and the costas in summer.

I think also Vueling and specially Norwegian (and of course always Ryanair) are increasingly tapping into traditional "holiday" destinations (your typical Birmingham-Alicante or Manchester-Málaga which are the bread and butter of Jet2, Thomson or Monarch).

Draken21fx

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:29 pm

Worrying rumours.
Demand will be affected too as a low pound will have an impact on numbers holidaying abroad - and the same devalued pound, especially against the dollar since Brexit (still at a 30 year low since the vote- and 20% devalued vs the beginning of the year) means higher costs for the airline.

Very theoretical discussion as we have no visibility on the financial aspect of it but bear in mind that it has been a record breaking year for Spain (some destinations have had too many tourists since May). Same goes for Greece so people are flying, they are only flying to more "safe" European destinations.

Also the price of fuel has been kept low the past few months and for most airlines that is the #1 expense.

We can only hope the rumours are false but there is already a steady flow of information coming from online sources across various mediums reporting the same thing. As for the other passengers I assume this is what the Omni 767 and other UA 744 are for and those are the only ones that have made the open air so far.

Would you mind quoting a few of those mediums? As I have read the rumour only on the forum.
Last edited by Draken21fx on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

f4f3a

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:30 pm

Aren't they owned by grey bull . Thought they had very deep pockets.?
They were going to buy uk steel couple months ago which was going to be expensive.
It seems unlikely they would pull the plug rather than sell

303dk

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Looks like N116UA is at PMI and N180UA is running military charters. The other 18 744s seem to be running their usual routes as far I can tell. Anyone know more?

dewie93

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:42 pm

N120UA scheduled to Tenerife once it has returned to Chicago from its current flight. Rumours are getting stronger on the likes of Facebook, but I'm yet to hear anything definitive. Over the last 10 years i've flown with MON more than any other airline and enjoyed every moment. We will see what the next few hours bring, but it does seem like from tomorrow, MON will no longer be operating.

Also heard of Air Transat supplying an aircraft. Not sure which, but could be something to keep eyes on.

Something big is going down for the CAA to mobilise so many aircraft.
dewie93

303dk

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:00 pm

dewie93 wrote:
N120UA scheduled to Tenerife once it has returned to Chicago from its current flight. Rumours are getting stronger on the likes of Facebook, but I'm yet to hear anything definitive. Over the last 10 years i've flown with MON more than any other airline and enjoyed every moment. We will see what the next few hours bring, but it does seem like from tomorrow, MON will no longer be operating.

Also heard of Air Transat supplying an aircraft. Not sure which, but could be something to keep eyes on.

FWIW, their social media team is in full denial mode. Is there a schedule loaded for the UA planes? I'm not seeing it anywhere

willd

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:05 pm

303dk wrote:
dewie93 wrote:

FWIW, their social media team is in full denial mode. Is there a schedule loaded for the UA planes? I'm not seeing it anywhere

Of course they will be in denial mode. Sadly the social media team, along with the majority of other staff, won't have any more info than us.

User001

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Air Transat positioning an A330-200 YYZ-MAN arriving MAN 1425 tomorrow.

by738

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Have ZB aircraft been noticeably moved to remote stands at BHX?

LondonCity

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:16 pm

willd wrote:
303dk wrote:
dewie93 wrote:
Of course they will be in denial mode. Sadly the social media team, along with the majority of other staff, won't have any more info than us.

Monarch's twitter team are repeating the words "these rumours are not true" and "please ignore them."

But what else can they say at the present time if they, and other workers, havem't been told anything ?

303dk

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:20 pm

by738 wrote:

I've seen people say that, but I haven't see pictures. I'd would assume that if it was happening at BHX, it'd be happening at MAN and LGW too and there would be pictures.

willd

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:23 pm

LondonCity wrote:
willd wrote:
303dk wrote:

Monarch's twitter team are repeating the words "these rumours are not true" and "please ignore them."

But what else can they say at the present time if they, and other workers, havem't been told anything ?

That was my point. They won't have been told anything. In fact it's entirely likely the first they heard of the rumour was when they started reviewing tweets about it.

dewie93

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:27 pm

It is likely flights will continue today, announcement tonight, an then the aircraft will all be moved to remote overnight and staff will get the bad news in the morning. That is how I can see it playing out anyway.
dewie93

winterlight

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:28 pm

It would be terrible for staff to learn of their possible redundancy via social media. Such a shame this great little airline may be about to disappear.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

fuaeir

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Let's not forget that MON have in the past played a pivotal role in repatriation efforts for the CAA, particularly in the 2008-2010 period - XL etc.. and these flights were all operated with MON flight numbers including hireins from airlines like Astraeus (I think it was them - I know Bruce Dickinson flew for whoever the airline was). Whilst not denying it looks possible it could be MON, it is also equally as likely that they are coordinating repatriations on behalf of the CAA for another tour operator that is about to cease trading, it's worth noting Thoms Cook are currently sitting on debt around the £850million mark if I remember correctly so pointing the finger at Monarch may be a little hasty.

bapilot2b

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:45 pm

303dk wrote:
by738 wrote:

I've seen people say that, but I haven't see pictures. I'd would assume that if it was happening at BHX, it'd be happening at MAN and LGW too and there would be pictures.

24 ZB flights are on outbound journeys at the moment, time will tell when they arrive back.

rufusmi

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Can someone explain why UA and Air Transat are operating these flights? Who's paying for these flights? Why would UA and Air Transat want to operate these flights?

Sorry if these are dumb questions...

VCEflyboy

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:59 pm

It's British airways spreading these malicious rumours. Just google Ba dirty tricks campaign. They did it before with virgin.

StTim

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:03 pm

Not sure BA would say Monarch are a competitor to the extent they viewed Virgin.

I suspect and hope these are just rumours.

b747400erf

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:06 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
It's British airways spreading these malicious rumours. Just google Ba dirty tricks campaign. They did it before with virgin.

I bet they are paying for the fake charters too, just because they are that threatened by a small charter airline. The conspiracy goes deeper than you thought!
Last edited by b747400erf on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rutankrd

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:06 pm

rufusmi wrote:
Can someone explain why UA and Air Transat are operating these flights? Who's paying for these flights? Why would UA and Air Transat want to operate these flights?

Sorry if these are dumb questions...

If these are repatriation flights organised by the CAA for some reason yet to be known the costs will be recovered via the ATOL bond scheme.

piedmontf284000

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:10 pm

Just last week, they announced three new routes to ARN. Why would an airline, which is allegedly bankrupt for all intents and purposes, launch a new destination knowing that their financial situation is dire? Something isn't adding up here...

http://www.finchannel.com/index.php/tou ... lm-arlanda

TC957

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:16 pm

The BA dirty tricks campaign was back in the 1990's and BA got badly stung for doing that - they won't be so stupid to go back to that tactic again.

303dk

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:21 pm

A new one: An Omni 777 is scheduled to operate BCN-LGW tomorrow morning

OA260

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:27 pm

Monarch Airlines denies rumours it is going bust amid passenger fears

'This is nothing to do with Monarch Airlines, please ignore the rumours'
The UK budget airline Monarch has denied rumours it is going bust, amid growing concerns among passengers that their bookings may be at risk.
Speculation began to circulate on Sunday afternoon that the airline, a 48-year-old British aviation icon, was set to close.
The airline continued to advertise holiday deals and take bookings for flights late into Sunday evening.
And while nothing was sent out to the 113,000 followers of Monarch's verified Twitter account, the airline has begun replying directly to customers asking if the rumours are true.
"Hi there, the rumours are not true. Please ignore them," the airline tweeted at a user Ashy Williams, who had said the speculation was "coming out of Manchester airport" and asked "what do we do about our flights?"
Another user, Steven Bowie, asked why "are there aircraft coming to the UK for repatriation flights". Monarch said: "Hi Steven, this is nothing to do with Monarch Airlines, please ignore the rumours."
That tweet was among a number which suggested the rumours stem from eagle-eyed flight spotters. Another asked: "Why are United Airlines covering the exact same flights and times as your routes."

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 29461.html

dewie93

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:27 pm

It is likely flights will continue today, announcement tonight, an then the aircraft will all be moved to remote overnight and staff will get the bad news in the morning. That is how I can see it playing out anyway.
dewie93

2e0zlm

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:46 pm

Omni 767 N477AX has just landed in Naples.

777GE90

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:52 pm

Can I just ask how you guys are finding these scheduled flights like the Omni / UA 747's?

SCQ83

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:53 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
Just last week, they announced three new routes to ARN. Why would an airline, which is allegedly bankrupt for all intents and purposes, launch a new destination knowing that their financial situation is dire? Something isn't adding up here...

http://www.finchannel.com/index.php/tou ... lm-arlanda

Well i remember Spanair announced Beirut and Moscow 2 or 3 days before they ceased ops!

32andBelow

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Is there like no capacity available in Europe? All these widebodies ferrying 12+ hours?

blueflyer

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:59 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
Just last week, they announced three new routes to ARN. Why would an airline, which is allegedly bankrupt for all intents and purposes, launch a new destination knowing that their financial situation is dire?

Perhaps because they think the new destinations are going to improve their profitability?

Directors decide if and when to suspend operations. All departments execute their planned activities until the directors tell them otherwise. And since nothing kills a consumer business faster than rumors of its impending demise, it is going to be business as usual until the directors decide it no longer is.
This space forcibly cleansed to protect truthers

777GE90

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:05 pm

User001 wrote:

Don't Air Transat fly to MAN regularly anyway? I don't see how this is linked.

Anyway, so far the only flights I have found are the below:
Omni Air - N477AX - OY477 - DFW to NAP - 767-300ER
Omni Air - N207AX - OY207 - DFW to LGW - 767-200ER
United Airlines - N120UA - UA2295 - ORD to TFS - 747-400
United Airlines - N116UA - UA2292 - ORD to PMI - 747-400

303dk

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:07 pm

777GE90 wrote:
User001 wrote:

OAE819 tomorrow is a 777 BCN-LGW. Not sure on which aircraft yet

APYu

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:08 pm

The CAA wouldn't organise repatriation flights BEFORE an airline has gone bust.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

32andBelow

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:09 pm

APYu wrote:

Unless they know they are. Maybe Monarch has the decency to make this happen so there is no issue for their passengers.

2e0zlm

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:10 pm

OAE819 tomorrow is N819AX

User001

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:10 pm

777GE90 wrote:
User001 wrote:

Yes Transat do fly to MAN, but they don't fly MAN-AGP-MAN which they will be doing tomorrow afternoon when it arrives at MAN.

777GE90

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:11 pm

303dk wrote:
777GE90 wrote:
User001 wrote:

OAE819 tomorrow is a 777 BCN-LGW. Not sure on which aircraft yet

Good find, N819AX (Omni 77ER) just landed at BCN from DFW.

dewie93

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:14 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Is there like no capacity available in Europe? All these widebodies ferrying 12+ hours?

They may for a day or morning, but not for a week or so! Plus many carriers are packed as it is with thomas cook having borrowed a couple of a320's this summer from Avion Express & SmartLynx.
Last edited by dewie93 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewie93

by738

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:15 pm

APYu wrote:

If its planned, they most certainly would.

David_itl

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:20 pm

777GE90 wrote:

They do... but when suggestions of TS654P/655 to Malaga cropping matching the times of ZB654/655 then it's a pretty good indication that a positioning flight is occurring.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos