• 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 12
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3416
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:21 am

XLA2008 wrote:
Yep been a part of the discussion for some time! And my point still stands... this UA flight means MON are bankrupt does it? And how do you know that Monarch isn't withdrawing aircraft and this is to cover those flights, you don't, you are turning rumors into facts and their are NO facts!!! Could be 101 reasons for these UA aircraft! Could be that a tour operator is set to go under and has chosen Monarch to do repatriation and they have hired in larger metal to cover the backlog? Nobody knows, yesterday they were winding down operations and the last flights would go out at midnight, they would then announce a shut down at 7am, now they are operating as normal as per their normal schedule so it's now a new rumor they will shut down at mid day... it's all just speculation and gossip!

If they go bankrupt it will be a sad day for aviation, but right now as it stands most were arguing with people that were sceptical of MON going bankrupt, stating that XYZ is happening, arguing why are you ignoring what's in front of us... now that hasn't happened and MON are still flying, its arguing yet another rumor! Trying to make a stand and a point on yet another so called fact... so what's the next argument when the next rumor doesn't happen?

I really am just playing devils advocate lol! The evidence around certainly suggests that MON are set to close down operations, and all the other smaller things start to add up! And 9 times out of 10 what's staring you in the face is usually the correct answer! But we do not yet know any real answers to the evidence! So time will tell, and the puzzle will fall into place, and it will be interesting to watch! But let's hope for all those people that have family's to support and that have given up their lives and been loyal employees to Monarch that this is just all rumors!


Good grief, XLA2008!!! This is what a.nutters are supposed to do, isn't it? This has been a really fine speculation thread for retired armchair CEOs. Why rain on their parade?

I admit your logic is impeccable, but still.................

It really does seem like a shut down was being planned for, but perhaps some deep-pocket angels have come along to stave off disaster, or pick the bones of a still-warm corpse.

See, now I'm doing it?

Cheers to all from the former colony of Maryland in the USA.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6843
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:23 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37469743

"Monarch said it was "trading well" despite a difficult period for the industry because of terrorist incidents, Brexit and the weak pound.
The statement added that it expected to announce a significant investment in the coming days."

"To weather tougher market conditions and to fund its ongoing growth, Monarch expects to announce a significant investment from its stakeholders in the coming days."

So, watch this space as they say.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
gilesdavies
Posts: 2330
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:51 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:25 am

Looks like this can quash the rumours and doomongerers, which I was one of! :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37469743
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:33 am

BobPatterson wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:
Yep been a part of the discussion for some time! And my point still stands... this UA flight means MON are bankrupt does it? And how do you know that Monarch isn't withdrawing aircraft and this is to cover those flights, you don't, you are turning rumors into facts and their are NO facts!!! Could be 101 reasons for these UA aircraft! Could be that a tour operator is set to go under and has chosen Monarch to do repatriation and they have hired in larger metal to cover the backlog? Nobody knows, yesterday they were winding down operations and the last flights would go out at midnight, they would then announce a shut down at 7am, now they are operating as normal as per their normal schedule so it's now a new rumor they will shut down at mid day... it's all just speculation and gossip!

If they go bankrupt it will be a sad day for aviation, but right now as it stands most were arguing with people that were sceptical of MON going bankrupt, stating that XYZ is happening, arguing why are you ignoring what's in front of us... now that hasn't happened and MON are still flying, its arguing yet another rumor! Trying to make a stand and a point on yet another so called fact... so what's the next argument when the next rumor doesn't happen?

I really am just playing devils advocate lol! The evidence around certainly suggests that MON are set to close down operations, and all the other smaller things start to add up! And 9 times out of 10 what's staring you in the face is usually the correct answer! But we do not yet know any real answers to the evidence! So time will tell, and the puzzle will fall into place, and it will be interesting to watch! But let's hope for all those people that have family's to support and that have given up their lives and been loyal employees to Monarch that this is just all rumors!


Good grief, XLA2008!!! This is what a.nutters are supposed to do, isn't it? This has been a really fine speculation thread for retired armchair CEOs. Why rain on their parade?

I admit your logic is impeccable, but still.................

It really does seem like a shut down was being planned for, but perhaps some deep-pocket angels have come along to stave off disaster, or pick the bones of a still-warm corpse.

See, now I'm doing it?

Cheers to all from the former colony of Maryland in the USA.


Lol thanks!! Yes it certainly looks as though they were planning for the worst and were expecting to close the doors, but have been saved by the hairs on their chin! Let's hope it sticks and they can weather the storms! I know many on here will be disappointed that their irrefutable facts (coughs) sorry rumors didn't materialize!

As for the poor guy that got called into work at his call center at 7am... what was the reason behind that? Because it seems as though Monarch isn't the large airline going bankrupt! So why did they call you in so early?

Either way, good luck to Monarch, I hope this new investment all goes through as planned and you have a bright future ahead of you! And let's hope that your (supposed) planning for the worst that has fueled these rumors hasn't caused you more damage that you dont need!

So what's the next rumor? Maybe we can draw some facts together to make it sound like British Airways is going bankrupt, I mean 4 years ago they did charter a 757 from Titan... could that spell the beginning of the end?? Haha
Last edited by XLA2008 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4111
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:39 am

Rumors on a rumor thread on a forum. Who would of thought! If we didn't speculate on rumors it would just be a news site!
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:42 am

32andBelow wrote:
Rumors on a rumor thread on a forum. Who would of thought! If we didn't speculate on rumors it would just be a news site!


Rumors are good, and interesting to read... it's when you start declaring rumors as fact! And stating something is going to happen! Arguing that something is going to materialize because of the rumors... only for it not and why not... because it's a rumor!

Now to be fair... granted their was merit behind the rumors, and somewhat oddities surrounding this whole thing, and most likely MON were setting up to close and have been saved at the last second... but it just goes to show, this doomed beginning of the end never happened as many have been so argumentative and adamant about.
Last edited by XLA2008 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4111
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:44 am

XLA2008 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Rumors on a rumor thread on a forum. Who would of thought! If we didn't speculate on rumors it would just be a news site!


Rumors are good, and interesting to read... it's when you start declaring rumors as fact! And stating something is going to happen! Arguing that something is going to materialize because of the rumors... only for it not and why not... because it's a rumor!

Well when multiple 747s start position from USA and posting flight schedules that match the exact flight schedules form the other airline then it becomes interesting to watch and see what is going to play out. The fact that all the airlines positioned is not a rumor. Looks like they maybe have just pulled something out while this has been going on. Or even that it's still going to happen. So we will see!
 
wezgulf3
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:52 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:46 am

I wonder if any of the news agencies looked on here and used some of the rumours as fact. It wouldn't be the first time the Daily Mail used such a forum.

Wes...(truly hoping Monarch will continue)
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:47 am

32andBelow wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Rumors on a rumor thread on a forum. Who would of thought! If we didn't speculate on rumors it would just be a news site!


Rumors are good, and interesting to read... it's when you start declaring rumors as fact! And stating something is going to happen! Arguing that something is going to materialize because of the rumors... only for it not and why not... because it's a rumor!

Well when multiple 747s start position from USA and posting flight schedules that match the exact flight schedules form the other airline then it becomes interesting to watch and see what is going to play out. The fact that all the airlines positioned is not a rumor. Looks like they maybe have just pulled something out while this has been going on. Or even that it's still going to happen. So we will see!


Yes positioning aircraft was a fact... the reason behind it? Oh hold on... yes a rumor

Agreed their is no certainty this "investor" will infact invest, and all may go pear shaped for Monarch! Nothing is certain until the contracts are signed and the cash is in the bank... however for now and the foreseeable future, Monarch will live to see brighter skies!
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10593
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:49 am

So the admission coming out this morning is essentially that they need further investment to continue trading. Not unexpected, as this was inevitably why they sought to keep all rumours under control.

Having this news splashed across the media is hardly going to help their situation, but they've handled it spectacularly badly IMO.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4111
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:50 am

XLA2008 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:

Rumors are good, and interesting to read... it's when you start declaring rumors as fact! And stating something is going to happen! Arguing that something is going to materialize because of the rumors... only for it not and why not... because it's a rumor!

Well when multiple 747s start position from USA and posting flight schedules that match the exact flight schedules form the other airline then it becomes interesting to watch and see what is going to play out. The fact that all the airlines positioned is not a rumor. Looks like they maybe have just pulled something out while this has been going on. Or even that it's still going to happen. So we will see!


Yes positioning aircraft was a fact... the reason behind it? Oh hold on... yes a rumor

Agreed their is no certainty this "investor" will infact invest, and all may go pear shaped for Monarch! Nothing is certain until the contracts are signed and the cash is in the bank... however for now and the foreseeable future, Monarch will live to see brighter skies!

I mean there were filed schedules in the systems. That are still active? I saw one was cancelled. Are the rest still active? I think 1130local was the first one.
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:55 am

32andBelow wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Well when multiple 747s start position from USA and posting flight schedules that match the exact flight schedules form the other airline then it becomes interesting to watch and see what is going to play out. The fact that all the airlines positioned is not a rumor. Looks like they maybe have just pulled something out while this has been going on. Or even that it's still going to happen. So we will see!


Yes positioning aircraft was a fact... the reason behind it? Oh hold on... yes a rumor

Agreed their is no certainty this "investor" will infact invest, and all may go pear shaped for Monarch! Nothing is certain until the contracts are signed and the cash is in the bank... however for now and the foreseeable future, Monarch will live to see brighter skies!

I mean there were filed schedules in the systems. That are still active? I saw one was cancelled. Are the rest still active? I think 1130local was the first one.


We will see! Like I said as it stands Monarch has not announced an investor and all could go terribly wrong! And I hope for their sake and their employees it doesn't!

Also not sure if somebody was just full of rubbish trying to just be a part of the conversation or if they actually have evidence to back up what they said (by which if they do please share) however didn't somebody say a little while back that pax have been told their flight will be operated by another airline some pax told their flight would be operated by Air Transat and others that it will be United? Just confused as to why pax would be told this? I mean MON denied any problems and denied chartering these aircraft so why then email your customers telling them something different to what your telling the news? Only for your pax to actually end up flying home on Monarch metal!?

Either way let's hope it all works out for Monarch
Last edited by XLA2008 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
User avatar
GCT64
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:58 am

It will be interesting to see if the UA 744s etc. stay in the EU locations or return to the US. I wouldn't be surprised if they stay in place until the funding issues are resolved and ATOL payment made (or not).
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8346
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:59 am

Monarch still needs the cash investment. Hopefully they get it. No where near out of the woods just yet.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
MON
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:06 am

Whatever the facts may be, some of the speculation on here has been very negative with almost the intent and desire for the airline to fail and to be shut down - all very sad to see.
 
Andy33
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:09 am

For the benefit of those who don't know how these things work, in order to sell a package holiday (flight+accommodation+transfers) in the UK the company concerned is required to hold an Air Travel Organisers Licence (ATOL). There is a substantial fee (proportionate to the share of the market the company holds) payable each time a licence is issued or renewed and this goes into a fund administered by the UK CAA. The fund is used to pay for repatriation of those abroad should an ATOL holder collapse financially, and reimbursement of those yet to travel.
The Monarch group is an ATOL holder and needs to be in order for Monarch Holidays to operate, and its licence renewal date is the end of this month.
Up to last night the CAA clearly believed there was a high possibility that Monarch would be unable to meet the payment deadline, which explains the contingency plans and the aircraft positioned in from all over the place to start repatriation this morning.
There's a history of Monarch brinkmanship on ATOL renewal, as mentioned up-thread, two years ago they requested and were granted a three-week extension on their ATOL in order to complete the sale of the company and subsequent injection of cash. We will see whether an extension is granted this year, or if the fee is forthcoming this week, or they decide to continue to operate the airline but without the holiday division, or if a sale of all or part of the business is imminent.
 
blueflyer
Posts: 4153
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:17 am

32andBelow wrote:
I mean there were filed schedules in the systems. That are still active? I saw one was cancelled. Are the rest still active? I think 1130local was the first one.

United cancelled its first rotation scheduled for today (PMI-BHX-LPA), but tonight's flight and tomorrow's are still active. Status is available on united.com. First flight still active is 2283, although at this time no positioning flight is scheduled to get the plane to LPA.

I don't know whether this tells us Monarch's situation is hour-by-hour, or UA is still getting around to updating its flight plans.
This space forcibly cleansed to protect truthers
 
G101
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:56 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:26 am

As for the poor guy that got called into work at his call center at 7am... what was the reason behind that? Because it seems as though Monarch isn't the large airline going bankrupt! So why did they call you in so early?

Either way, good luck to Monarch, I hope this new investment all goes through as planned and you have a bright future ahead of you! And let's hope that your (supposed) planning for the worst that has fueled these rumors hasn't caused you more damage that you dont need!

So what's the next rumor? Maybe we can draw some facts together to make it sound like British Airways is going bankrupt, I mean 4 years ago they did charter a 757 from Titan... could that spell the beginning of the end?? Haha[/quote]


I was called in and sat for an hour or so before being allowed back to my normal duties... however advised we could still be called back at short notice.
Still nothing as to which airline, however when asked of it was Monarch they didn't denyou. Just staTed they didn't know.

This isn't rumour just fact as to what happened.
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:27 am

blueflyer wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
I mean there were filed schedules in the systems. That are still active? I saw one was cancelled. Are the rest still active? I think 1130local was the first one.

United cancelled its first rotation scheduled for today (PMI-BHX-LPA), but tonight's flight and tomorrow's are still active. Status is available on united.com. First flight still active is 2283, although at this time no positioning flight is scheduled to get the plane to LPA.

I don't know whether this tells us Monarch's situation is hour-by-hour, or UA is still getting around to updating its flight plans.


It doesn't really mean anything at the moment, but I will presume until this "investor" meets the obligations, then for MON management it will be hour by hour! For the rest of the airline its business as usual!
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:31 am

MON wrote:
Whatever the facts may be, some of the speculation on here has been very negative with almost the intent and desire for the airline to fail and to be shut down - all very sad to see.


I don't think it was anyone's intent for Monarch to close down, I do think it was a lot of people's intent to be correct, and for them to be able to have the I told you so satisfaction! if you are able to separate and define the two!

Everyone can speculate, and do the math, and have their say, and even argue that the inevitable is going to happen, but at the end of the day the only people in the know of what's really happening, certainly are not posting it in here and won't be posting it in here lol, and for now they will remain the only ones that know the truth! It's all a friend of friend who has a friend that once knew a man with a dog whos uncle once did a day trip to Monarch head office told me that management privately emailed him this evening because he needed to be first to know, and now I'm telling all of you this irrefutable fact from the top of the totem poll lol!
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
blueflyer
Posts: 4153
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:40 am

XLA2008 wrote:
It doesn't really mean anything at the moment, but I will presume until this "investor" meets the obligations, then for MON management it will be hour by hour! For the rest of the airline its business as usual!

For what it's worth, UA's ORD-TFS hasn't reached a point yet where it can't turn around and head to EWR, and it keeps flying East still. So charters on standby until the investor ponies up the funds probably.
This space forcibly cleansed to protect truthers
 
anjin
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:49 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:46 am

EZYAirbus wrote:
Strong rumours going around at moment that Monarch are cease operations, their is a United 747-400 at PMI right now that will operate many flights from Spanish destinations back to the UK this week starting tomorrow to BHX.

These "rescue" flights as they are being called are flying to a similar schedule of Monarch.

Anyone heard anything?


Come on then EZY Airbus you started the rumour you've got to cough up your source now - the trail has to start somewhere. If you do work for the Orange order you should know better. If I worked at Monarch and knew who you where i'd come round and give you a glasgow kiss
 
LHRFlyer
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:47 am

All this speculation probably isn't going to help if it depresses forward bookings and suppliers start demanding cash up front for fuel etc.
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:48 am

blueflyer wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:
It doesn't really mean anything at the moment, but I will presume until this "investor" meets the obligations, then for MON management it will be hour by hour! For the rest of the airline its business as usual!

For what it's worth, UA's ORD-TFS hasn't reached a point yet where it can't turn around and head to EWR, and it keeps flying East still. So charters on standby until the investor ponies up the funds probably.


Possibly! They could still keep aircraft around in the event of situation! On the flip side they could at this point just not want to tell that aircraft to turn around and come back, more likely let it continue let the crews rest before bringing her home! We don't know! Time will tell! I do not know the facts or answers! So I can assume, but that really at the end of it means nothing!
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
 
f4f3a
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:07 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:59 am

Well with greybull history eg comet and m local stores being put into admin and sold off
The news is not looking good in the long term.
It's a real shame I think they didn't link up with jet2
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6843
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:07 am

Question, who will be paying UA to postion aircraft and crew to these destinations ?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:12 am

readytotaxi wrote:
Question, who will be paying UA to postion aircraft and crew to these destinations ?


Best guess will be the CAA... but that's just a guess!
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8346
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:21 am

I worked in an airline that was running on fumes. It's not a great place to be.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8346
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:32 am

If it's the CAA, then it's the airlines or Charter passengers who are paying for the aircraft.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
Delta777Jet
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2000 6:19 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:36 am

The speculation about a shut down was created by the UK CAA chartering airlines in to replace ZB flights 1:1. The bill for bringing dozens of large aircraft from all over the world will be paid by UK travellers.
717/722/732/733/735/736/73G/739/739/741/742/743/744/748/74L/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/77L/788/789/781/DC10/L10/L15/M80/M90/320/321/319/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/T54/IL18/AT4/AT7/DH1/DH3/DH4/E145/170/1790/Bae146/RJ85/F50/F70/100/CR2/CR7/CR9
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8346
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:43 am

And the UK CAA don't charter aircraft for the sake of it. Hopefully their brinkmanship with the vulture capitalists pays off and they invest the needed Dollars to fly an other season.


Some of 744's are still en route to TFS from Chicago as we type.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
TC957
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:33 am

The CAA is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they did nothing to repatriate stranded pax, they will castigated for not being prepared and now they'll be criticized for wasting millions ferrying empty 747's and the like to sit around waiting in case anything happens.
 
Bongodog1964
Posts: 3542
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:34 am

BestWestern wrote:
And the UK CAA don't charter aircraft for the sake of it. Hopefully their brinkmanship with the vulture capitalists pays off and they invest the needed Dollars to fly an other season.


Some of 744's are still en route to TFS from Chicago as we type.


"vulture capitalists" is as good a description as any.They walk into an ailing business as its saviour, with the best intentions of turning it round and making a large profit for the invested capital, however they habitually take out large sums of cash in the form of consultancy and management fees,and ensure that much of their cash investment is in the form of preferential loans in order that they get their money back before the other creditors.

A couple of years back, we had another venture capital company deliberately run an insolvent parcel delivery company through to Christmas eve in order to take advantage of its busiest time of the year, then declare it insolvent, leaving hundreds of couriers who had been working 7 days a week for the previous month with no pay. Is it any wonder they have a poor reputation ?

With these sorts of behaviour in mind, the CAA obviously felt it prudent to make contingency plans, unfortunately in the era of live flight tracking and social media, there is a strong chance that their actions will lead to Monarch's downfall, even if it could have otherwise been saved. Whilst the previous Monarch owners had a long association with the business and a loyalty to it, the present ones would happily ditch it in the middle of the night if it suited them.
 
aviationaware
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:05 am

Excuse me, but as someone working in Private Equity can I just say what utter rubbish you just posted.

Yes, 5% of PE firms are scum and raiders. 95% are not. You are generalizing in a very unhealthy manner. Most PE firms save a lot of jobs and often create new ones over the mid term in their investments, and those you rarely hear of because obviously most of the attention focusses on the black sheep.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8346
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:36 am

Ah, total number of posts = 1.

Every single comment totally wrong? Monarch have stated that they need a capital injection this week.

You know exactly what is going on??? Amazing.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10593
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:47 am

That sounds about as realistic as Monarch's statement that they 'have no idea' why these rumours have started.

Really - no idea? They must think people were born yesterday...
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
uta999
Posts: 794
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:10 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:08 am

Well all their a/c appear to be returning to the UK according to FR24.
Your computer just got better
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6843
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:26 am

uta999 wrote:
Well all their a/c appear to be returning to the UK according to FR24.


Yes, using the filter on FR24 there are 21 aircraft inbound to the UK but no outbound movements.
However, looking at the departure board at Luton airport they are checking in people for the flight to Larnaca ZB856 departing at 14:20
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
SwissCanuck
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:06 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:26 am

...Is it normal for 100% of Monarch aircraft to be RTB this time of day?
 
bapilot2b
Posts: 891
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 7:42 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:35 am

SwissCanuck wrote:
...Is it normal for 100% of Monarch aircraft to be RTB this time of day?


For most UK charter ops yes.
Jason Nicholls - v1images
 
spacecookie
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:37 am

What will happen with the 747
would be great to catch one with my camera.
 
uta999
Posts: 794
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:10 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:55 am

UA2295 (B744) landing at TFS shortly.
Your computer just got better
 
Summa767
Posts: 1846
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:30 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:09 pm

According to The Daily Telegraph, Greybull will offer a multmillion pound "lifeline" within days.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... o-go-bust/

They had better hurry, as clearly the CAA is worried enough that it had seen Monarch's collapse as imminent.

If Greybull comes up with the money, then Monarch can survive, but going forward into next year the same issues that have proved so challenging for the airline could get even worse: Brexit triggered Sterling devaluation affecting traveller demand in a market with more capacity to fewer destinations and the same devaluation increasing costs: Sterling is 20% lower against the US dollar than at the beginning of this year. In fact is a 30 year low that happened immediately after Brexit and that has not recovered despite other economic signs showing resilience over the summer. But the worse could be yet to come.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8346
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Monarch started searching for this cash injection early in the summer. I just hope that the cash injection is made before the UK CAA revoke their ATOL for no payment.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3135
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:28 pm

aviationaware wrote:
Excuse me, but as someone working in Private Equity can I just say what utter rubbish you just posted.

Yes, 5% of PE firms are scum and raiders. 95% are not. You are generalizing in a very unhealthy manner. Most PE firms save a lot of jobs and often create new ones over the mid term in their investments, and those you rarely hear of because obviously most of the attention focusses on the black sheep.


This post is in need of citations especially for the 95% and save jobs claims. You claim to be in private equity but you have been trying to push your small airline blog since you first signed up here.
 
User avatar
angelopga
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 5:11 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:49 pm

jaimelar wrote:
According to AENA, flight LPA-BHX will be operated by UA as 2283 by the B747 currently on PMI (http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightSta ... 2016-09-26)
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/infov ... 9-26+20:10



Monarch A321

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/infov ... gin_ac=LPA
 
hiflyer
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:38 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:49 pm

think there may be only 2 UA birds out there total right now...n120ua and n116ua if my tracker is working right...grin
 
Airplanepics
Posts: 2605
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:12 am

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:25 pm

UAL have a flightplan in the system for N116UA

LEPA-GCLP-EGBB ...
Simon - London-Aviation.com
 
303dk
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Rumor: Monarch to cease ops?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:00 pm

The charter aircraft are still there:
N120UA UA 744 at TFS
N116UA UA 744 at PMI
N819AX Omni 772 at BCN
N207AX Omni 762 at LGW
N733MA Miami 738 at LPA

N477AX was suspected to be one positioned to NAP, but it now looks like a military charter.

Any others?
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 12

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos