Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

leo777
Topic Author

Rumor: American Airlines to launch ORD-ICN

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:33 am

American Airlines is due to start operating ORD-ICN April 2017. Korean operates 7 times a week and Asiana operates 5 times a week. Is there room for AA to compete? Seems like an odd route but I guess there is no One World representation on ORD-ICN. Your thoughts?
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Author did not provide a link, so it is just a rumor for the time being
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

LY777

Re: American Airlines to launch ORD-ICN

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 am

It Will be hard to compete against the excellent KE... If I had to choose between AA and KE, that would be a no brainer: KE is far superior.
As to OZ, I've never flown them.

However, there may be room for AA as Chicago and Seoul are 2 major cities.
Why do you say it is an odd route?
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,753,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388

Sydscott

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:50 am

leo777 wrote:
American Airlines is due to start operating ORD-ICN April 2017. Korean operates 7 times a week and Asiana operates 5 times a week. Is there room for AA to compete? Seems like an odd route but I guess there is no One World representation on ORD-ICN. Your thoughts?

If true it's an interesting addition. AA has presumably seen the results of DFW-ICN and given no UA presence on ORD-ICN has concluded this is a good route to launch. To be honest I'd have thought they would have done LAX-ICN first but they obviously have a 787 to allocate at ORD and this is where it's going.

hoons90

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:58 am

Do you have a source for this information?
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

LAX772LR

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:43 am

Sydscott wrote:
To be honest I'd have thought they would have done LAX-ICN first

I would've too.... hence being rather curious at to the source of this claim.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

ripcordd

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:01 pm

I know they connect a lot of people on a daily basis from AA at ord to KE but they said the same thing when they started DFW-ICN how could they go against KE and they did and KE reduced service

continental004

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:12 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Sydscott wrote:
To be honest I'd have thought they would have done LAX-ICN first

I would've too.... hence being rather curious at to the source of this claim.

I'm surprised too, but I'm not at the same time. LAX-ICN is very competitive with multiple daily A380s. KE and OZ have an iron grip on the market, TG just exited and SQ is coming in. Other than the OW benefits, there's not much AA can offer.

MaverickM11

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:24 pm

Is AA even daily year round in ORDNRT? I highly doubt ICN is in the cards.
I don't take responsibility at all

avi8

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:25 pm

The AA operation at ORD is impressive. Even though it is still smaller than UA's, AA has made itself a good hub with nice terminals and lounges. The plethora of connections it will offer at ORD could fill the flight. The only question is whether the flight will me profitable or not.

In addition, I think it was about time AA spiced up the ORD hub. It's been a while since AA did anything at ORD other than the addition of the E175 jets.
avi8

commavia

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:28 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Is AA even daily year round in ORDNRT? I highly doubt ICN is in the cards.

It looks like other than the depths of winter and Thanksgiving/Christmas weeks, AA is now generally back to daily on ORD-NRT with the switch to the 787.

That said, I share others' skepticism about ORD-ICN. It is very hard to imagine AA going into a market like that, particularly before LAX-ICN - I will believe it when I see it.

United787

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:52 pm

I am pleasantly surprised to see AA go outside of their comfort zone on this, nice going AA. ORD-ICN should be a huge market and the OneWorld O&D out of Chicago should be significant. Add in all of AA's connections at ORD and I think they could make this work with a 787.

I was always surprised that UA didn't launch this route. UA doesn't even codeshare with Asiana on this route, I can't even find Asiana's flights on UA's website when booking. But, I would assume that having Star Alliance feed on both ends and the fact that Star is bigger than OneWorld at ORD would give UA a leg up over AA on this route.

Source: https://us.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepage. ... nuType=CMS

Sooner787

Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:21 pm

AA is switching the DFW-ICN service to a 789 in March '17,
so they'll have spare 77E's to start this ORD-ICN service,
or they could go 788 on that route

winginit

Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Ridiculous, source-less claim. AA ORD-ICN is not happening.

migair54

Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:26 pm

As someone has said above, Korean and Asiana product if much better than AA, but if you have a corporate contract with AA or you are a frequent traveller of AA or Oneworld, then AA is a very good option, Chicago and Seoul are very big cities and ORD is a big transfer hub for AA, so it's not that crazy to start the route for AA.

it is strange for UA to leave this market totally for other airlines, maybe after AA move we will see UA responding with a cooperation with KE on the route, that will be the logical step to keep USA customers with UA and not moving to AA, even if the leg is operated by KE.

I think AA could make it work with a B787, I see this market easier than trying LAX-ICN.

Sightseer

Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:31 pm

An official source would go a long way toward answering a lot of the questions on this thread. Like "Is AA actually starting ORD-ICN?"

migair54 wrote:
maybe after AA move we will see UA responding with a cooperation with KE on the route, that will be the logical step to keep USA customers with UA and not moving to AA

There is no need for UA to do anything involving KE, since fellow Star partner OZ already flies the route.

MIflyer12

Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:33 pm

migair54 wrote:
it is strange for UA to leave this market totally for other airlines, maybe after AA move we will see UA responding with a cooperation with KE on the route, that will be the logical step to keep USA customers with UA and not moving to AA, even if the leg is operated by KE.

Delta and KE haven't been the friendliest but KE is still SkyTeam. I wouldn't expect cooperation with UA on ORD-ICN.

United787

Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Sightseer wrote:
There is no need for UA to do anything involving KE, since fellow Star partner OZ already flies the route.

I agree, UA has no reason to partner with KE, but why are OZ and UA not even codesharing on this route? Could UA left it out of the codeshare agreement because they wanted to start it?

DeSpringbokke

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:10 pm

leo777 wrote:

I'll believe it when I see a press release. I expected LAX-ICN and hell, even ORD-HKG, before ORD-ICN. I'd love to hear your source as I've heard no indication of this route starting next year.

hoons90

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:27 pm

I doubt AA will launch any more routes to ICN anytime soon, especially now that LAX-ICN will get SQ.

As for ORD, AA hasn't launched a transpac route from there since 2010, and has been reducing capacity since then.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

migair54

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:39 pm

United787 wrote:
Sightseer wrote:

I agree, UA has no reason to partner with KE, but why are OZ and UA not even codesharing on this route? Could UA left it out of the codeshare agreement because they wanted to start it?

My mistake, I wanted to say OZ, but I said KE.

hoons90 wrote:
I doubt AA will launch any more routes to ICN anytime soon, especially now that LAX-ICN will get SQ.

As for ORD, AA hasn't launched a transpac route from there since 2010, and has been reducing capacity since then.

LAX-ICN is too busy market to start now, I don't think it will be easy at all for them to start. Attracting traffic from East coast via ORD will be a better option. With DFW and ORD they have the most of the country well covered.

They have not launched any transpac since 2010 but that does not mean that they can't do, I think it's time to do now, maybe before they didn't do because they did not have a right plane for the flight.

Tdan

Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Not happening. If anything, it will be a codeshare. Please post a link to information like this otherwise note it as a rumor.
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

willyknut

Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:29 pm

A bit on the side of the topic itself, but I notice the great circle track goes through North Korean airspace. I know the routing depends on numerous factors, i.e.wind, weather forecast, en-route charges and so on, but will a US airline (doesn't really matter which one in this context) be allowed to overfly North Korea? I supppose KE and OZ both are banned and also very unwilling to pay Kim&co en-route fees, but has anyone on the forum got an idea about US or western airlines flying over North Korea?

b747400erf

Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:32 pm

willyknut wrote:
A bit on the side of the topic itself, but I notice the great circle track goes through North Korean airspace. I know the routing depends on numerous factors, i.e.wind, weather forecast, en-route charges and so on, but will a US airline (doesn't really matter which one in this context) be allowed to overfly North Korea? I supppose KE and OZ both are banned and also very unwilling to pay Kim&co en-route fees, but has anyone on the forum got an idea about US or western airlines flying over North Korea?

Of course not. All routings go over Japan or Russia and avoid Best Korea. Even the departure and arrival routings from ICN keep aircraft away from North Korea.

Lpbri

Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Nothing out there on this. Nothing on Jetnet.

LAX772LR

Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:59 pm

......still waiting on that source.

Google, RoutesOnline, ATW, FlyerTalk are all turning up nothing.

This seems to be a rumor at best, a hoax at worst.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

hoons90

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:03 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

Seems to be case of Wiki vandalism:

I guess the mods can delete this thread now...

Tdan

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:14 pm

hoons90 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Seems to be case of Wiki vandalism:

I guess the mods can delete this thread now...

Yep. Please lock and delete this thread or at least change the title to *RUMOR*. Zero data or proof to substantiate the claim.
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

787fan8

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Confirmed or not, I don't see this route doing very well, especially with the competition from KE and OZ. I agree that LAX-ICN would make more sense, but like ORD, lots of competition.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

9w748capt

Re: Rumor: American Airlines to launch ORD-ICN

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:05 pm

Threads like this are why a.net needs reddit-style downvoting capabilities.

winginit

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:17 pm

This thread has been the source of many a laugh in AA HDQ today

OA412

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:28 pm

This appears to be nothing more than a rumor without any verifiable source. This thread will be locked pending an official announcement by AA.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos