Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Boeing778X
Topic Author
Posts: 3268
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 pm

A few months old, but it seems newsworthy.

http://piedmont-airlines.com/News/Latest-News1/Post/507

Piedmont Airlines is further expanding its fleet of Embraer 145 regional jets with accelerated deliveries of aircraft from American Airlines starting in early 2017.

“This is a vote of confidence from American and a goal we worked very hard to achieve,” said President and CEO Lyle Hogg. “American had previously committed 20 jets to Piedmont and we are pleased that our parent company will now continue to increase that number. The expanding fleet of jets puts Piedmont on an exciting path to the future, and that will lead to even more opportunities.”

Piedmont began operating the E145 regional jet in February, and has taken delivery of seven jets so far. All Piedmont jets will operate out of the American Airlines Philadelphia hub.

“We will greatly expand our operations in Philadelphia, including placing more crew members there,” said Hogg. Piedmont offers a $15,000 signing bonus to new hire pilots and plans to hire more than 200 pilots in 2016. “This is a very good opportunity for pilots who want to work for an airline that promises growth, stability and a guaranteed job at American Airlines one day."

As a result of the accelerated jet expansion, Piedmont will begin to transition away from its traditional aircraft, the de Havilland DHC-8 turboprop. Piedmont expects to start retiring turboprop aircraft at a rate of about one aircraft per month. “The Dash has served us well for years,” said Hogg, “but we know that passengers prefer the regional jets and we want to provide the best service we can for American and for our customers.”


Seems like the beginning of the end for the Dash 8-100/-300s at Piedmont.

Originally, 20 E145s were to be transferred from Envoy, and I'm assuming that's where the additional units will be coming from.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931
 
ericm2031
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:44 pm

Basically just giving them another dying fleet type. I wonder what the plan is after that? Also interesting considering Envoy is re-opening their LGA crew base for the E145s
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2250
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:02 pm

Only dying as fast as the labor contracts allow. Scope clauses limit the number of 76 seat jets AA regionals can operate, forcing some flying down to the 50 seaters.

ETA: It should be noted that AA can pull 76 seat flying from Republic/Mesa/Wisky to move to the WO's. I think thats the ultimate goal. PSA/Envoy/Piedmont on the 76 seat jets with the contractors flying everything smaller. If the market gets tough just yank the contracts.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14727
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:00 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
Basically just giving them another dying fleet type. I wonder what the plan is after that? Also interesting considering Envoy is re-opening their LGA crew base for the E145s


Shrinking, not dying. HTS and IPT aren't ever going to support 70-seaters.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
crj900lr
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:44 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:21 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Only dying as fast as the labor contracts allow. Scope clauses limit the number of 76 seat jets AA regionals can operate, forcing some flying down to the 50 seaters.

ETA: It should be noted that AA can pull 76 seat flying from Republic/Mesa/Wisky to move to the WO's. I think thats the ultimate goal. PSA/Envoy/Piedmont on the 76 seat jets with the contractors flying everything smaller. If the market gets tough just yank the contracts.


You mean Republic and Mesa. ZW has no 76 seaters
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2250
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:30 am

crj900lr wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Only dying as fast as the labor contracts allow. Scope clauses limit the number of 76 seat jets AA regionals can operate, forcing some flying down to the 50 seaters.

ETA: It should be noted that AA can pull 76 seat flying from Republic/Mesa/Wisky to move to the WO's. I think thats the ultimate goal. PSA/Envoy/Piedmont on the 76 seat jets with the contractors flying everything smaller. If the market gets tough just yank the contracts.


You mean Republic and Mesa. ZW has no 76 seaters



Touche
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2721
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:10 am

Varsity1 wrote:
I think thats the ultimate goal. PSA/Envoy/Piedmont on the 76 seat jets with the contractors flying everything smaller. If the market gets tough just yank the contracts.

Except it's easier to yank flying from the wholly owned carriers because there is no contract. Pulling flying from the non-wholly owned requires waiting for contract expirations or exercising some sort cancellation clause that may result in protracted negotiations, litigation, or other expenses AA has to pay to the regional to get out of the contract early.

If AA wants to pull from E145 from Envoy they just do it. If they want to pull CRJs from Air Wisconsin, it's more complicated.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2250
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:14 am

Alias1024 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
I think thats the ultimate goal. PSA/Envoy/Piedmont on the 76 seat jets with the contractors flying everything smaller. If the market gets tough just yank the contracts.

Except it's easier to yank flying from the wholly owned carriers because there is no contract. Pulling flying from the non-wholly owned requires waiting for contract expirations or exercising some sort cancellation clause that may result in protracted negotiations, litigation, or other expenses AA has to pay to the regional to get out of the contract early.

If AA wants to pull from E145 from Envoy they just do it. If they want to pull CRJs from Air Wisconsin, it's more complicated.



I don't think AA agrees. ZW is getting their flying pulled right now for Envoy.

Staffing is becoming a problem at Mesa, I think it will pull it'self.
 
User avatar
RetiredNWA
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:29 am

Where are the numbers and how does this impact their operation? Let's look at the operating economics.
 
kevintarmac
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:37 am

With all this flying going back to the WO. Wonder if perhaps OO will be moved wayside later. I say this since the birds brought to ORD were temporary and with MQ and PT picking up so much 50 seat flying I would think OO would get replaced by MQ in ORD and PT with the 145s in PHX? As for LGA I distinctly recall someone saying LGA isn't big enough for 4 regional carriers. Just don't remember who or in what thread.
 
FloydK
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:57 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:01 am

and as the Dash 8's depart, how much of an impact will it have on smaller cities in PA and upstate NY??????
For example, ABE had 8 round strips a day between ABE and PHL, now it is down to three. Will this route and others 0 disappear entirely???
 
CcrlR
Posts: 2195
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:24 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:15 am

kevintarmac wrote:
With all this flying going back to the WO. Wonder if perhaps OO will be moved wayside later. I say this since the birds brought to ORD were temporary and with MQ and PT picking up so much 50 seat flying I would think OO would get replaced by MQ in ORD and PT with the 145s in PHX? As for LGA I distinctly recall someone saying LGA isn't big enough for 4 regional carriers. Just don't remember who or in what thread.


I guess that is what may happen. OO may only have a short contract so MQ may get those flights back or another regional will take control. LGA will see Trans States or another regional downsize from there if MQ will be flying at LGA in the future. Wasn't there another thread about this a while ago where I said that these extra aircraft may be coming from Trans States?
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)
 
commavia
Posts: 11489
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:01 pm

FloydK wrote:
and as the Dash 8's depart, how much of an impact will it have on smaller cities in PA and upstate NY??????
For example, ABE had 8 round strips a day between ABE and PHL, now it is down to three. Will this route and others 0 disappear entirely???


I suspect that many smaller markets along the east coast now dependent on the Dash 8 for service to PHL/CLT will either transition to CRJ/ERJ at reduced frequency, or lose service (at least on the Dash 8 routes) altogether. This may actually be more pronounced in markets where there is competition and thus AA has less pricing power. So, as an example, perhaps a market like ART to make the transition back to RJs as AA is the only airline in town. In the example of ABE, though, I suspect what's far more likely is that a route as short as PHL - unlikely to ever be economical at jet costs - is simply exited altogether and perhaps replaced with, say, 2-3 daily 2-class RJs to ORD to compliment the existing 2-3 daily 2-class RJs to CLT.
 
miaskies
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:08 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:38 pm

LGA:

* MQ will handle all 145/CR2 flying
* YX will handle E175 flying
* AA/YX have reached a tentative agreement already during the restructuring, 8 out of 9 E175's parked will come back online for AA flying, bring the total to 89 175 (not 170's those are gone) flying for AA. AA/YX have agreed to reconfigure the current legacy US 175 in 80 seat configuration to the new current AA 76 seat 175 configuration (12F / 64Y). I don't expect to see YX/AA 175 flying going anywhere, at least in LGA. We will see base changes etc but I think LGA will continue developing as noted above.

see you in LGA folks! :)
Crosscheck Complete :)
 
kevintarmac
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:02 pm

miaskies wrote:
LGA:

* MQ will handle all 145/CR2 flying
* YX will handle E175 flying
* AA/YX have reached a tentative agreement already during the restructuring, 8 out of 9 E175's parked will come back online for AA flying, bring the total to 89 175 (not 170's those are gone) flying for AA. AA/YX have agreed to reconfigure the current legacy US 175 in 80 seat configuration to the new current AA 76 seat 175 configuration (12F / 64Y). I don't expect to see YX/AA 175 flying going anywhere, at least in LGA. We will see base changes etc but I think LGA will continue developing as noted above.

see you in LGA folks! :)


I would say 50 seat flying for MQ. I don't see them adding CR2's to the MQ certificate.
 
ericm2031
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:35 pm

OO is adding CR7s currently for AA from the UA side. I don't see OO going away at least in the near term. AA needs someone to fly the CRJs out of PHX and many of those routes can't be flown by -900s or can't fill them.
 
Buddys747
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:33 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:01 pm

I wonder what will happen to the Dash 8 maintenance base and crew base at MDT?
Piedmont services the Dash overnight here.
 
SaabFA71
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:17 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Maybe the retiring Dash 8s can be converted over to freighters. They'd be perfect for services with FedEx and UPS. Or perhaps the U.S. Army/Air Force can use them as a replacement transport aircraft since the Short 330 Sherpas have been retired.
I used all of my sick days, so now I'm calling in dead.
 
FloydK
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:57 am

Re: Piedmont To Receive Additional E145s

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:34 am

Buddys747 wrote:
I wonder what will happen to the Dash 8 maintenance base and crew base at MDT?
Piedmont services the Dash overnight here.

--
My guess? It will be phased out. Besides several MDT-PHL round trips, The only other Dash 8 route out of MDT is one a day round trip to BOS. My guess is this route too, will disappear

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos