dabpit
Topic Author

Icelandair announces two new routes - TPA and PHL

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:45 pm

Icelandair is planning on announcing two new routes over the next coming weeks. They are also getting another pair of 767 and are going to add another bank of flights at their KEF hub.

http://dashboard.flightglobal.com/app/# ... newsstream

Thoughts on the two possible destinations? This is all good news from Icelandair.
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated after announcement
Carpe Diem

lesfalls

Re: Icelandair to announce two new routes

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:49 pm

VIE and NCE or DUB and VIE?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

TC957

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:56 pm

If it's two more 767's that are coming in, that suggests US expansion - maybe 2 from LAX, LAS & MIA ?

BTVB6Flyer

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:58 pm

TPA....TPA....TPA.....please?

Well one can at least dream, right?

msycajun

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:00 pm

I can't access the article, but is the new pair of flights with existing aircraft/not the 767s? If so, than FCO, VIE, and PRG seem like viable contenders. If they are talking about new flights for the additional 767s, than I would imagine North American destinations. SAN, AUS, MSY, BNA would seem to be viable candidates, especially with tourist demand on both ends, and are no doubt pushing for new Euro service.

hvusslax

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:08 pm

They are not adding a new bank but expanding the current secondary bank. It will be most interesting to see what other European destinations can work with the secondary bank which has departures to Europe after midnight in Iceland.

VIE and NCE don't really fit into the current rotations, MUC is as far as they can go in Europe and be back in Iceland to meet the connections to North America. I expect these new destinations to be either in North America or in the UK or Ireland.

styles9002

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:23 pm

hvusslax wrote:
They are not adding a new bank but expanding the current secondary bank. It will be most interesting to see what other European destinations can work with the secondary bank which has departures to Europe after midnight in Iceland.

VIE and NCE don't really fit into the current rotations, MUC is as far as they can go in Europe and be back in Iceland to meet the connections to North America. I expect these new destinations to be either in North America or in the UK or Ireland.

There was some chatter that TPA would be added so that wouldn't surprise me.I've not heard about another destination and have to think DUB is on the short-list for European points to be served. It fits within the range for serving to get there and back in time to fit the bank. Nevertheless, it wouldn't surprise me if FI doesn't launch DUB and instead selects another destination. I do see where WW is up to 5 flights a week between DUB-KEF for S17.
It is what it is.

raylee67

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm

767 would indicate West Coast if it's US. I know I am dreaming but it would be nice to see Icelandair in Asia. Iceland is increasingly popular for East Asian tourists who want to stay away from cities. KEF-NRT and -ICN would be within range of 763.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

styles9002

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:28 pm

On a related note, can anyone here tell me why Ryanair (FR) doesn't yet serve Iceland? Is there a reason or are FR just more focused on the continent?
It is what it is.

hvusslax

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:31 pm

styles9002 wrote:
On a related note, can anyone here tell me why Ryanair (FR) doesn't yet serve Iceland? Is there a reason or are FR just more focused on the continent?

I believe they feel that the fees at KEF are too expensive for them and Reykjavík has no cheaper alternative airport.

AVENSAB727

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:31 pm

Maybe IAH, but I admit that is a longshot.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

styles9002

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:33 pm

raylee67 wrote:
767 would indicate West Coast if it's US. I know I am dreaming but it would be nice to see Icelandair in Asia. Iceland is increasingly popular for East Asian tourists who want to stay away from cities. KEF-NRT and -ICN would be within range of 763.

That is assuming that the B767s are for new routes. It could be that FI is just using the new B767s to upgauge existing B757 routes and then use those B757s to launch the new routes.
It is what it is.

kelvin933

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:33 pm

hvusslax wrote:
styles9002 wrote:

I believe they feel that the fees at KEF are too expensive for them and Reykjavík has no cheaper alternative airport.

Not only to expensive but unwilling to subsidise FR in flying to KEF.
“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”

tys777

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:36 pm

BNA would be interesting 3x weekly. The market to Europe is more business driven, but I think Iceland Air could make a move to an untapped market before someone else comes in.

There is that pesky FIS facility for inbounds to deal with, but for 3x weekly I imagine they could find a way to make it work. Remember, just inbounds need to deal with that. You could still have the outbounds depart from a game with more seating space. .

Does the MNAA have any incentives out there for new entrants?

lesfalls

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:36 pm

raylee67 wrote:

I don't see the west coast happening. Now that WW flies to the west coast it is less likely an option for Icelandair. I doubt Icelandiar would want to add the west coast flights to the 12am bank either because of the limited connections onward from KEF with them.

hvusslax

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:41 pm

It is of course exciting to speculate about new exotic routes but the thing about Icelandair is that its management is a pretty conservative and careful bunch (they should be, Icelandair Group is owned largely by pension funds). I feel like it is much more likely that they continue to build on their known strengths rather than launch some really out-there routes. The additional 767s do not necessarily signal to me that they would be used for new longer routes beyond 757 reach. They'll probably mostly be for upgauging current routes.

lesfalls

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:46 pm

hvusslax wrote:
styles9002 wrote:

What if they flew to akureyri? It might not be an alternative to KEF but I heard that there is demand between akureyri and CPH.

dabpit
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:53 pm

The article does not say if the 767s are for new routes or increasing capacity on existing routes. They expect to raise capacity by 13% in 2017. These two new destinations will be in North America or Europe not Asia.
Carpe Diem

flymco753

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:56 pm

I honestly think DTW is one, Icelandair got a taste of Detroit through charters last winter. Plus for the cost conscious traveler it makes sense for Western European connections that are thin that aren't easily accessible via 1 or nonstop.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

330lover

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:04 pm

lesfalls wrote:
hvusslax wrote:
styles9002 wrote:

What if they flew to akureyri? It might not be an alternative to KEF but I heard that there is demand between akureyri and CPH.

They would call it 'Reykjavik North' :)
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

ANA787

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:06 pm

My guesses:
Adding FCO and DFW.

Dominion301

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Obviously I'm hoping for a new Canadian destination. When the Canada-EU Open Skies deal was signed, FI immediately announced YYZ and at the time said that YUL, YOW, YWG and YYT were on their potential list of cities served. Well since then they've launched YEG, YVR and YUL, so 3 of the original 4 mentioned are still potentials. Now that YYT is up to 3 daily transatlantics in summer, YOW and YWG must be at the top of their Canadian adds list.

Thenoflyzone

In Canada.... YYC, YWG, YOW, YQB.....
In the States, California and Southern Florida are the obvious holes in their network. So i'll go with LAX, SFO, MIA, TPA or FLL.

I'll also add DTW and AUS as possible candidates.
Last edited by Thenoflyzone on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

TWA772LR

Miami or Dallas anyone?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

hvusslax

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:11 pm

lesfalls wrote:
hvusslax wrote:
styles9002 wrote:

If FR was interested in doing so then I am sure that they would get a good deal from Icelandic authorities because they are very interested in getting some international flight into AEY or EGS. The problem is that the home market is really small and the demand from foreign tourists to travel directly to northern or eastern Iceland has not been established. Logically, one would think it should be possible because tourism to Iceland is driven by natural sights rather than by Reykjavík as a city but it has proved very difficult to establish permanent international routes out of AEY or EGS despite many attempts.

lapper

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:18 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:
Maybe IAH, but I admit that is a longshot.

I'd be surprised if IAH was announced, for a couple of reasons:
IAH is corporate travel heavy, FI doesn't have the corporate pull for the route (think BA/UA/KL and their core markets and connectivity)
IAH is reliant upon the oil trade, which is currently depressed and seeing a drop in travel

lesfalls

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:20 pm

hvusslax wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
hvusslax wrote:

If FR was interested in doing so then I am sure that they would get a good deal from Icelandic authorities because they are very interested in getting some international flight into AEY or EGS. The problem is that the home market is really small and the demand from foreign tourists to travel directly to northern or eastern Iceland has not been established. Logically, one would think it should be possible because tourism to Iceland is driven by natural sights rather than by Reykjavík as a city but it has proved very difficult to establish permanent international routes out of AEY or EGS despite many attempts.

I thought when wow operated 1x weekly AEY-CPH it was quite good but then they stopped the route to focuse more on expanding from KEF.

lesfalls

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:21 pm

330lover wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
hvusslax wrote:

They would call it 'Reykjavik North' :)

Only a "couple" hours away from KEF Ryanair would say when they would advertise it :).

757usairways

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Would love PHL, but with a B763, that would be a longshot, would be enter suited with a B752, but I can see LAX being added.

hvusslax

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:26 pm

lesfalls wrote:
hvusslax wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

I thought when wow operated 1x weekly AEY-CPH it was quite good but then they stopped the route to focuse more on expanding from KEF.

I might be the reason. A route like that is always going to be at a disadvantage. It would need to perform very strongly to justify the hassle of positioning flights between KEF and AEY.

787fan8

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:29 pm

Hopefully they announce ATL. If not, then I could see something like LAS or DTW
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

SRQKEF

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:31 pm

757usairways wrote:
Would love PHL, but with a B763, that would be a longshot, would be enter suited with a B752, but I can see LAX being added.

The 767 will be used to upgrade a current 757 route, so PHL is an option with the freed up aircraft. I highly doubt LAX is in the cards due to the high amount of competition to Europe there. But then again, FI now flies to ORD so who knows
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

usflyer123

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:37 pm

i wish it would be PHX!
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

Flighty

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:37 pm

One thing that shocked me recently is, TPA has a metropolitan area of 5-6 million!

At that rate of growth, Trans Atlantic nonstop appears inevitable.

Edit: More TA nonstop :lol:
Last edited by Flighty on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WesternA318

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:38 pm

I'd love to see IAH, BNA, LAX, LAS or my hometown, SLC.

RohanDXB

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:39 pm

I'm assuming DXB is too much to ask for :D Or maybe a fifth freedom in the Gulf tagged on to DXB...
/wishful thinking

Ro

AWACSooner

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:40 pm

What I want to know is what they plan to do about increasing their check-in counter space at KEF to accommodate the massive increase in flights they've had the past two years...I've seen the check-in line going out the door before because that airport just doesn't have the space...

winGl3t

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Flighty wrote:
One thing that shocked me recently is, TPA has a metropolitan area of 5-6 million!

From TPA one can fly nonstop to LGW (British Airways), ZRH (Edelweiss) and FRA (Lufthansa).

hvusslax

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:55 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
What I want to know is what they plan to do about increasing their check-in counter space at KEF to accommodate the massive increase in flights they've had the past two years...I've seen the check-in line going out the door before because that airport just doesn't have the space...

I don't know what the plan is for the check-in hall in the short term but there is a masterplan in place for multiplying the floor space available for it. That's still some 5-10 years away though.

santi319

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:08 pm

FLL is next

SRQKEF

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:10 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

There is a new master plan which includes building a whole new check-in area and parking lot north of runway 2/20 and then a walkway over from there. The current check-in and surrounding area would then be used for more gates. Not sure on the proposed time line though.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

SeaDoo

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:15 pm

Flighty wrote:

Edit: More TA nonstop :lol:

I believe the Tampa Bay area is maybe 3 million.

lavalampluva

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 pm

There is a lot of room in Europe for expansion. Pretty much anything east of Frankfurt and south of Milan. I think they have reached their limit in North America for the time being.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

dubaiamman243

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:20 pm

RohanDXB wrote:
I'm assuming DXB is too much to ask for :D Or maybe a fifth freedom in the Gulf tagged on to DXB...
/wishful thinking

Ro

I am hopping for DXB too
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

OA412

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:25 pm

I'd love to see ATH, but since they don't even fly to FCO at the moment, it's probably too far into Southern Europe for them.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

lavalampluva

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:28 pm

OA412 wrote:
I'd love to see ATH, but since they don't even fly to FCO at the moment, it's probably too far into Southern Europe for them.

That might be why they are adding another bank for flights.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Miami

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:29 pm

santi319 wrote:
FLL is next

Says who? FLL lost Eurowings and WOW air to MIA because of issues at FLL.

Condor pulled out and there's rumors of Norwegian moving to MIA. Not going well for FLL at the moment.

On an side note, I don't see Icelandair starting flights to MIA after WOW air just announced service. But you never know.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

hvusslax

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:37 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
There is a lot of room in Europe for expansion. Pretty much anything east of Frankfurt and south of Milan. I think they have reached their limit in North America for the time being.

There is a reason why the European side of the network looks like that. It focuses on routes that can fit into the window between the North America rotations. MUC and ZRH are at the edge of what's possible to fit inside that window. There are other routes like Madrid or Milan but you'll notice that these flights are not part of the main European bank. There are still some unserved cities in Europe that fit within this range window like Dublin, Berlin or Prague and I expect these are more likely additions before new destinations outside this range.

adamh8297

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:49 pm

Miami wrote:
santi319 wrote:
FLL is next

Says who? FLL lost Eurowings and WOW air to MIA because of issues at FLL.

Condor pulled out and there's rumors of Norwegian moving to MIA. Not going well for FLL at the moment.

On an side note, I don't see Icelandair starting flights to MIA after WOW air just announced service. But you never know.

FLL does makes sense from the standpoint of FI's #1 USA partner B6 having a good sized operation there.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

jetsetterusa

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:20 pm

Why not DFW and work with AA?
Crazy Day Tripper

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos