LAX772LR
Topic Author

MSY to announce new int'l carrier: Update: BA announces LHR-MSY

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:55 am

From the New Orleans Advocate:

New Orleans officials had scheduled a special announcement Tuesday at Louis Armstrong International Airport, with speculation growing over whether the city had landed the big fish it was after: British Airways.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... ft_amplify
Last edited by qf789 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

BWIAirport

Re: MSY to announce new int'l carrier: local papers think BA to LON

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:00 am

It was discussed in an earlier thread that BA was announcing a new US destination soon and a.net pretty much agreed it was between BNA and MSY. If this is indeed BA service, good for MSY. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a LCC like Norwegian though.
Next flight: November 23 BA216 IAD-LHR A388
November 24 BA814 LHR-CPH A320

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Sooner787

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:01 am

Long , thin routes like this are what the 787 is made for.

Hope the good folks in NOLA see a BA 788 soon :)

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:13 am

If this turns out to be prescient, then it'd probably explain having AA sub out the PHL frequency.

But I doubt they'd start it with a 777. I'm guessing it'll replace a 788 somewhere?

msycajun

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:22 am

I'm hoping for London as well. Timing wise I think FI is also a possibility - would be an oddball route, but so is DE's MSY-FRA.

The airport and business community have also been seeking flights to MEX and MSY-MEX was proposed with the DL/AM JV and recently applied for separately by Volaris I believe, so that's another possibility.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:28 am

msycajun wrote:
but so is DE's MSY-FRA.

How's that "oddball" in any way?

Ytraveller

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:33 am

Wishing MSY the best...

msycajun

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:46 am

LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:
but so is DE's MSY-FRA.

Well, based on the numbers I've seen, FRA is only the 4th or 5th largest Euro route from MSY. Most of us expected LHR or CDG or even AMS long before FRA. And it's on a carrier that doesn't fly to any other U.S. cities that have no other European service as far as I can think of. Not quite as odd as MSY-KEF would be, but still I think it was a surprise for most of us.

southwest1675

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:48 am

BA likes to announce new cities around this time year.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

klakzky123

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:14 am

msycajun wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:
but so is DE's MSY-FRA.

Well, based on the numbers I've seen, FRA is only the 4th or 5th largest Euro route from MSY. Most of us expected LHR or CDG or even AMS long before FRA. And it's on a carrier that doesn't fly to any other U.S. cities that have no other European service as far as I can think of. Not quite as odd as MSY-KEF would be, but still I think it was a surprise for most of us.

Condor flies to a few US cities without European service. Anchorage, Fairbanks, and until recently Providence. There are also a few cities in Canada without service.

Also Condor has excellent connections from Frankfurt. They have a pretty thorough interline agreement with Lufthansa so you can get to most major cities in Europe.

braniff2hav

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:19 am

FI has zilch interest in MSY service, the market is simply put too minuscule to consider.

BA will be a great addition if it comes to be.

msycajun

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:19 am

Well to be fair, ANC also has FI, which kind of makes my point that FI could be at play at MSY. By the way, I am very happy we got DE service and plan to take a trip with them next summer.

wenders825

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:33 am

if it is BA, I'm really curious where that 777 will go from PHL.

also would be fun to see a long awaited a.net gossipped destination get announced

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:11 am

msycajun wrote:
Most of us expected LHR or CDG or even AMS long before FRA.

We did?

If it weren't BA, then DE or DU would've been my immediate second guess for a carrier to try MSY-Europe.
It's exactly the kind of market that they do.

msycajun wrote:
And it's on a carrier that doesn't fly to any other U.S. cities that have no other European service as far as I can think of.

They've served FAI for years, which has no other Euro service.

wenders825 wrote:
if it is BA, I'm really curious where that 777 will go from PHL

If they are indeed headed to MSY, then I'm betting the 777 goes to LHR-YYC; a route that was previously a 777 not long ago, thus freeing up the 788 currently used thereon.

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:25 am

Looks like it's been postponed:

"But late Monday, the announcement was postponed due to a "scheduling conflict," said Hayne Rainey, a City Hall spokesman, who said the event was in the process of being rescheduled. A source with knowledge of the negotiations said late Monday that postponement of the news conference should not be taken as a signal that the announcement will not happen. The source declined to confirm the name of the carrier or the international destination it will fly to."

Did the airport initially specifically say it would be an international route, or is the media speculating?

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:29 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
Did the airport initially specifically say it would be an international route, or is the media speculating?

I wondered that too. Of note is the last sentence that you posted, which seems to "confirm" the topic being an international service announcement.

That is of course, if this "unnamed source" is to be trusted.

af773atmsp

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:18 am

msycajun wrote:
The airport and business community have also been seeking flights to MEX and MSY-MEX was proposed with the DL/AM JV and recently applied for separately by Volaris I believe, so that's another possibility.

Didn't AM try MSY-MEX for a short time with ERJs?
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:33 am

The two most likely choices are either BA to LHR or Y4 to MEX. I'd be happy for either one, but BA would definitely be preferred. Landing BA would also be the icing on the cake for the departing airport director Iftakhar Ahmad. He leaves October 12th to lead the airport authority in Rhode Island. The next director is going to have some big shoes to fill.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:38 am

af773atmsp wrote:
msycajun wrote:

Yes, they flew to MEX back in 2008-09 I believe. Unfortunately, the market was still recovering from Katrina at that time, and the Great Recession did not help matters. The flight lasted about a year. Things are vastly different now. Y4 on a less than daily schedule would probably do well. The Mexican population has also grown since then, and is now the second largest Hispanic group in the area. The Central American population is still the largest. Thus, the flight to PTY with CM.

lavalampluva

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:50 am

LAX772LR wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

I wondered that too. Of note is the last sentence that you posted, which seems to "confirm" the topic being an international service announcement.

That is of course, if this "unnamed source" is to be trusted.

IMO just more rumor and speculation. I'll wait until the airline makes the announcement.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:28 am

af773atmsp wrote:

Yes, in mid 2009... juuuust in time for the H1N1 ("Swine Flu") epidemic that hit MEX. :(

The fact that the flight required a 4:30am checkin, and that they didn't advertise it worth a flip, didn't help.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:39 pm

I'm pretty certain the rescheduling has to do with the fact that Gov. Edwards is currently in Cuba on a trade mission. He's there through Friday, so I would expect the announcement to be next Tuesday now. On a local development forum, LON was confirmed by someone that works for the Lt. Governors office. Didn't say which airport or airline since I'm sure there are confidentiality clauses.

787fan8

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:49 pm

Would a BA MSY-LHR service have any effect on DE's seasonal MSY-FRA service?
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

SunsetLimited

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:56 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
I'm pretty certain the rescheduling has to do with the fact that Gov. Edwards is currently in Cuba on a trade mission. He's there through Friday, so I would expect the announcement to be next Tuesday now. On a local development forum, LON was confirmed by someone that works for the Lt. Governors office. Didn't say which airport or airline since I'm sure there are confidentiality clauses.

The Governor wants to the be there and the airport director wants to end his tenure with a bang. An announcement next week makes sense.

I know the development forum you speak of, and considering the people who post on there, I'd say that's strong confirmation. I guess we'll find out.
Spread hope like fire.

klakzky123

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:13 pm

787fan8 wrote:

They focus on different markets. Condor goes almost exclusively goes after leisure travelers (primarily going to Europe). BA will get any business traffic and will probably get most if not all traffic headed from Europe to MSY.

lesfalls

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:17 pm

Maybe it's Norwegian?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Polot

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:27 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

They focus on different markets. Condor goes almost exclusively goes after leisure travelers (primarily going to Europe).

I'd argue Condor's clientele skew far towards the European, not American, point of sale.

klakzky123

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Polot wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

They focus on different markets. Condor goes almost exclusively goes after leisure travelers (primarily going to Europe).

I'd argue Condor's clientele skew far towards the European, not American, point of sale.

Depends on the city I would think. At least where I am, Condor's traffic is all American tourists going to Europe. I've seen the same in some other cities. But you're right, for New Orleans that could be different.

braniff2hav

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:44 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

They focus on different markets. Condor goes almost exclusively goes after leisure travelers (primarily going to Europe). BA will get any business traffic and will probably get most if not all traffic headed from Europe to MSY.

I believe the exact opposite will pan out to be the case. Condor will bring a tremendous amount of European (German) traffic to MSY/Louisiana - the flights are well timed for Europeans, marketed heavily over there. To my knowledge they have no frequent flyer tie-ins with US carriers. Most US travelers that are buying a ticket are going to want their points and benefits so they will simply live with the connection over a US hub to get to Europe - if all things are equal fare wise or close to it. I see the Condor flight as more of an inbound boon to tourism for the state and MSY and any new carrier flying to LON as more of a benefit to the outbound and inbound tourism, corporate, oil/gas markets. Really a perfect set up.

jetmatt777

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:48 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

I believe the exact opposite will pan out to be the case. Condor will bring a tremendous amount of European (German) traffic to MSY/Louisiana - the flights are well timed for Europeans, marketed heavily over there. To my knowledge they have no frequent flyer tie-ins with US carriers. Most US travelers that are buying a ticket are going to want their points and benefits so they will simply live with the connection over a US hub to get to Europe - if all things are equal fare wise or close to it. I see the Condor flight as more of an inbound boon to tourism for the state and MSY and any new carrier flying to LON as more of a benefit to the outbound and inbound tourism, corporate, oil/gas markets. Really a perfect set up.

Most U.S. Travelers do not have undivided loyalty to a carrier or alliance, but rather to total ticket price.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

jbs2886

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:55 pm

I am hearing BA to LHR.

msycajun

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:15 pm

I am hearing BA as well, although it is still unconfirmed, so I will hold off celebrating until the official announcement.

Regarding the alliances and frequent fliers, the three network carriers are all very well represented with DL being #2, AA #3 and UA #4, not counting Star Alliance partners AC and CM (all behind #1 WN). All of them serve most if not all of their major hubs, and many business passengers have status on more than one carrier. BA would give AA a competitive advantage over DL along with the recently added LAX nonstop.

EddieDude

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:15 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
they flew to MEX back in 2008-09 I believe. Unfortunately, the market was still recovering from Katrina at that time, and the Great Recession did not help matters. The flight lasted about a year. Things are vastly different now.

And before then, AM had Mad Dog or even DC-9 service from MEX to MSY via CUN. It would be very interesting if AM-DL relaunch MEX-MSY. The E170/5 and E190 could make it work.
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

jbs2886

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:57 pm

EddieDude wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
they flew to MEX back in 2008-09 I believe. Unfortunately, the market was still recovering from Katrina at that time, and the Great Recession did not help matters. The flight lasted about a year. Things are vastly different now.

And before then, AM had Mad Dog or even DC-9 service from MEX to MSY via CUN. It would be very interesting if AM-DL relaunch MEX-MSY. The E170/5 and E190 could make it work.

MSY-MEX was in Delta's JV application to the DOT. Its a perfect E170/5 route (although would compete with Copa).

SCQ83

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Wouldn't BA to LGW be possible?

New Orleans seems more of leisure market, like Orlando which is served from LGW. Also BA is betting heavy on long-haul leisure from LGW, with new routes like CPT, LIM or SJO. IMO MSY fits better here than in business-oriented LHR.

jbs2886

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:31 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

New Orleans seems more of leisure market, like Orlando which is served from LGW. Also BA is betting heavy on long-haul leisure from LGW, with new routes like CPT, LIM or SJO. IMO MSY fits better here than in business-oriented LHR.

Possible, but really limits connections. A route to a smaller US city needs to have onward connections from the European hub, even with decent O&D.

SCQ83

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:34 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Possible, but really limits connections. A route to a smaller US city needs to have onward connections from the European hub, even with decent O&D.

That is very arguable. BA serves many small Caribbean markets from LGW. London is the largest market in Europe so they can probably support a 3-4 weekly by themselves. Unless they make it daily at LHR targeted to connections. Two different approaches.

enilria

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:46 pm

The CEO at MSY just announced he is leaving for PVD. If he got BA he could have leveraged it to get that job, BUT airports hire very slowly so that seems unlikely. Conversely, if they got BA wouldn't they have done something to try and keep him?

Maybe they are getting GLO to Merida or something...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/ ... r_ahm.html

I'm not sure I see MSY working year-round daily, and I agree it would be to LGW if true. The market is very seasonal and during peaks the prime room availability that a relatively high-end Euro traveler would want is pretty hard to get which would also hurt. II'd think BNA/IND or even CLE would be better choices if they are sticking with their AUS style strategy of flying to cities with no existing Europe.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:59 pm

787fan8 wrote:

Who'd care?? :-P

Getting BA to return has been that airport's goal for a longgggg time.
Having DE operate 44 flights per year, is icing.

787fan8 wrote:
see the Condor flight as more of an inbound boon to tourism for the state and MSY and any new carrier flying to LON as more of a benefit to the outbound and inbound tourism, corporate, oil/gas markets. Really a perfect set up.

Agree completely.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see perhaps a weekly DU to CDG added eventually. Longterm.

SCQ83 wrote:

enilria wrote:
and I agree it would be to LGW if true.

BA already tried LGW-MSY back in the day, and it didn't last.

MSY is currently the largest British O&D market in the USA without a nonstop to LON, but it still isn't enough to reliably fill a 772ER to yield, which is what would be needed to sustain an LGW flight.

A 787 to LHR, with a healthy mix of O&D and connections, is a much more likely probability.

enilria wrote:
Conversely, if they got BA wouldn't they have done something to try and keep him?

Or, it could be that he's completed what they hired him to do.

Since the guy's come in, they've gained scheduled service to Germany, Panama, and now a seeming resumption of the UK; in addition to expanding service to Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean.

The airport is serving 20 more destinations than its pre-9/11 high, it's one of (if not THE) only FAA designated "medium hub" with nonstop service to Central America, and in two out of the last three years, it's been the fastest growing such airport in the country.

His tenure has been nothing short of miraculous for MSY, which from 2005 to 2009, had **no** scheduled international service at all, on any airline.

wenders825

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:52 pm

it will undoubtedly be to LHR, all the discussion has talked about has been "being just like AUS" which also utilizes a lot of the connections at LHR.

I'll bet on 4x weekly, and if it does well like Austin does, an eventual upgrade to daily. I would compare to SJC but that's such a different business climate than AUS or MSY

ryanrap1

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:06 pm

So what time today Is the OFFICIAL Announcement being made?

NolaMD88fan

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:10 pm

ryanrap1 wrote:

The article states that the announcement has been rescheduled. Most of the state govt. officials are currently in Havana on a trade mission with Cuba (http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... f8337.html), and I can guarantee that the governor and head of Louisiana Economic Development will be at this announcement. They are supposed to return on Friday, so we'll either hear something then or early next week.

OA412

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:21 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
ryanrap1 wrote:

The article states that the announcement has been rescheduled. Most of the state govt. officials are currently in Havana on a trade mission with Cuba (http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... f8337.html), and I can guarantee that the governor and head of Louisiana Economic Development will be at this announcement. They are supposed to return on Friday, so we'll either hear something then or early next week.

Hmm. You'd think they would have taken all this into account BEFORE scheduling the announcement.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:46 pm

wenders825 wrote:
I'll bet on 4x weekly, and if it does well like Austin does, an eventual upgrade to daily.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if the initial schedule is something like a 4xWeekly 1567 or a 5xWeekly 13567

OA412 wrote:
Hmm. You'd think they would have taken all this into account BEFORE scheduling the announcement.

To be fair, no official entity publicized an announcement schedule.

What likely happened is that they came up with an initial schedule, found out there would be conflicts, and delayed... but somehow it got leaked to the papers.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:54 pm

OA412 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
ryanrap1 wrote:

My guess is the Mayor's office was only thinking of city officials, airport board members, local business and civic leaders, and the Lt. Governor being at the announcement when they first scheduled it. That was who was present for the DE announcement. The governor likely chimed in that they also want to be at the announcement, so the date had to be rescheduled. The Lt. Governor's office runs the state tourism agency if anyone was wondering.

NichCage

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:29 pm

I would say British Airways is going to launch LHR-MSY & MSY-LHR for several reasons. First of all, I've heard that MSY is one of the largest unserved destinations out of MSY. As well as that, British Airways does have lots of connections at LHR which will also help the flight.

Cubsrule

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:10 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

enilria wrote:

MSY is currently the largest British O&D market in the USA without a nonstop to LON, but it still isn't enough to reliably fill a 772ER to yield, which is what would be needed to sustain an LGW flight.

A 787 to LHR, with a healthy mix of O&D and connections, is a much more likely probability.

Dumb question maybe, but I don't know much about DE: to what extent will/would BA be competing for connections with DE? I'm not sure how the DE flights mesh with the FRA hub banks.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

dfwjim1

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:13 pm

Really hoping that New Orleans gets a BA flight very soon. I believe that this flight would be a success with a 787 as it would not only serve New Orleans proper but also the tourist and business interests in Baton Rouge, South Louisiana, and the Gulf Coast.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:28 pm

NichCage wrote:
First of all, I've heard that MSY is one of the largest unserved destinations out of MSY.

Indeed. MSY has nigh unlimited demand to MSY, far more than any other airport in the world. ;)

Cubsrule wrote:
Dumb question maybe, but I don't know much about DE: to what extent will/would BA be competing for connections with DE? I'm not sure how the DE flights mesh with the FRA hub banks.

DE interlines with LH to essentially every major destination in Europe, and even a few shorter intercons... MSY-FRA's arrival times aren't the best in the world, but they do fit into plenty of options.

What's odd though is that (last time I checked) DE's website wasn't offering them (from MSY) whereas third party sites like Kayak, were. Very odd.

jasoncrh

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:40 pm

Not sure of the exact specifics for the DE flight from MSY, but in my experience DE connects to the entire LH network at FRA, so it would be very competitive with BA connections to Europe and beyond over LHR. In July I flew BWI-FRA on DE then connected to LH to Barcelona. There were at least 10-15 other people from my BWI-FRA flight who connected to my flight to BCN, and it seemed like most of the plane was connecting beyond FRA. I'd say that from BWI the vast majority of people were Americans, not Europeans, going on European trips. Several families. Overall, it was a good experience and I thought the onboard service was good. I'd fly them again.

Cubsrule wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

enilria wrote:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos