N62NA
Topic Author

When Will BA Replace Their Horrible Widebody Business Class?

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:16 pm

A friend flew NAS-LHR last night on BA in J and sent me some photos of the 772's business class which reminded me of just how awful from a passenger's perspective it is. Now, from a revenue perspective, cramming 8 people per row into those tuna cans has got to be wonderful.

Given that almost every other major airline has gone 1-2-1 in widebody J, when do you all think BA will replace the tuna cans with 1-2-1 in J?

a380787

Re: When Will BA Replace Their Horrible Widebody Business Class?

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:26 pm

Most likely at the latest possible time. The LHR slot regime plus the BA+AA JV ensures that BA has very little need to compete on its hard product.

scotron11

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:31 pm

Hopefully soon.....looking on their website.....they have 43 firm orders for the A350....with 57 options! No breakdown on models..........I know IB are taking the A359 and BA the 351....did not realize they have such a big option on future models. Have to agree their current offering is very cramped compared to other carriers ...then again they don't seem to have a problem filling them.

jasoncrh

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:58 pm

BA doesnt need to. They can actually sell all those seats. They're in a market where there is huge demand for paid business class. They dont need fewer seats - they need more. In theory, they COULD go to a 1-2-1 configuration. That said, they actually can sell the number of seats they have. The ONLY way to keep the same number of business class seats with a 1-2-1 configuration would be to displace economy seats. But they can sell those seats as well. Point being - BA doesnt want to and doesnt need to give up revenue. They can sell those seats. And as discussed the competitive situation in the UK doesnt really require that they do anything more than what they are doing now. That said, times change, and things could change in the future. TBD.

garpd

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:03 pm

I concur that BA can fill the J cabin without breaking a sweat. I've flown BA in J a couple of times on two different routes with 77E,77W and 744, each time the cabin was completely full.

As for the quality: I personally found the seat very comfortable and found the window seat to be very private once the partition went up. Food was excellent and the service was superb. I can't really fault it. Then again, I am easy to please.
Last edited by garpd on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Polot

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:03 pm

scotron11 wrote:
Hopefully soon.....looking on their website.....they have 43 firm orders for the A350....with 57 options! No breakdown on models..........I know IB are taking the A359 and BA the 351....did not realize they have such a big option on future models. Have to agree their current offering is very cramped compared to other carriers ...then again they don't seem to have a problem filling them.

They have already shown off the A350 seat, and it is just an evolution of the current design/layout.

CBBW

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:20 pm

I actually find the current seat among the most comfortable in bed mode I have flown in. Add direct aisle access and a bit of additional storage, as the initial image of the new generation seat appeared to show, and I'd be more than happy with evolution rather than revolution.

Auchmithie

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:33 pm

The BA layout across the cabin is exactly the same as the Etihad layout on their A380 and B787-9. The differerence is that the Etihad seats have additional space between the seats so that window & middle seat passengers have direct aisle access - which is precisely what BA are proposing for their A350s. The other difference is that on B787s BA are 7 abreast whereas Etihad are 8 abreast. I never see any complaining about the Etihad density across the cabin,

KaiTak747

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:46 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
BA doesnt need to. They can actually sell all those seats. They're in a market where there is huge demand for paid business class. They dont need fewer seats - they need more. In theory, they COULD go to a 1-2-1 configuration. That said, they actually can sell the number of seats they have. The ONLY way to keep the same number of business class seats with a 1-2-1 configuration would be to displace economy seats. But they can sell those seats as well. Point being - BA doesnt want to and doesnt need to give up revenue. They can sell those seats. And as discussed the competitive situation in the UK doesnt really require that they do anything more than what they are doing now. That said, times change, and things could change in the future. TBD.

These are all very good points, but my feeling is that BA are increasingly losing business to the competition.

Although CW is pretty good, the competition is much better and given the choice it would be unlikely I would pick BA unless the price was right.

I know a few people that avoid BA CW as they find the likes of VS, AA and the ME3 better.

I suppose it really is a balancing act between density and yield. That being said, if BA know that they can continue to offer a dense J and F product and achieve decent yields then fair play to them.

Austin787

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:47 pm

BA continues to have First class on most of their wide body aircraft. While many airlines are going with 1-2-1 business the trade off is those airlines have no first class sections, or restrict it to certain aircraft.

My standard for business class is lie flat seat and aisle access. The BA business seat meets my needs.

N62NA
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Austin787 wrote:
BA continues to have First class on most of their wide body aircraft. While many airlines are going with 1-2-1 business the trade off is those airlines have no first class sections, or restrict it to certain aircraft.

My standard for business class is lie flat seat and aisle access. The BA business seat meets my needs.

You have to climb over the other person's feet if they are in bed mode and you are not in the aisle seat.

keitherson

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:47 pm

Austin787 wrote:

Alright "Austin787", while I understand there is only one airline flying a 787 to Austin, the BA business seat is a clearly inferior product in comparison to competitor offerings. While you may not be able to have access to competing airlines at your particular airport, many of us are based in cities that do. I will gladly fly KLM 787 over the BA 787 anytime.

9w748capt

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:20 pm

N62NA wrote:
Austin787 wrote:

You have to climb over the other person's feet if they are in bed mode and you are not in the aisle seat.

Exactly. And even if you have an aisle seat, the person next to you doesn't, so you'll know every single time they need to leave their seat for the lav, overhead, etc. It really is quite difficult to get to the aisle from the middle or window CW seats when the seat next to you is in bed mode. Not only that but the ottoman is just so damn flimsy - I've only flown CW a few times but unless I was lying perfectly still, the ottoman would collapse with any hint of movement.

I also found it astounding just how close together the "honeymoon" seats are. I mean my wife and I loved them, but I cannot fathom sitting in one of the middle seats as a single passenger. That is just insanely close to be sleeping next to a stranger.

AA's 77W J seat is just so much better. Yes, BA's soft product can be good, but IMO not so much better than their competition. Of course London is such a massive, lucrative, captive market, so it's unlikely BA will be switching away from the dorm anytime soon.

seansasLCY

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:25 pm

You also have to climb over your neighbour (if you are in a window seat) on many other European carriers including Lufthansa (which has a lot less privacy compared to BA), TK, KLM (some aircraft), Aeroflot.

readytotaxi

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:42 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
You also have to climb over your neighbour (if you are in a window seat) on many other European carriers including Lufthansa (which has a lot less privacy compared to BA), TK, KLM (some aircraft), Aeroflot.

On the 777 the last rear facing window seat in the front cabin is my favorite,direct access and private. Where BA do need to step up is the catering in CW, very dull and lack luster these last years but that is for another topic.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

shankly

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:49 pm

KaiTak747 wrote:
jasoncrh wrote:
These are all very good points, but my feeling is that BA are increasingly losing business to the competition.

KaiTak, go fly LON-CPT in Club and I suspect you will find your "feeling" is completely out of touch

Its the right product, for the right market. Sometimes bad, mostly adequate, occasionally exceptional
L1011 - P F M

GSPSPOT

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Would there possibly be different hard product on a/c going to mainly leisure desinations (NAS) vs a/c going to business-heavy destinations (JFK for example)?
Great Lakes, great life.

KaiTak747

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:25 pm

shankly wrote:
KaiTak747 wrote:
jasoncrh wrote:

KaiTak, go fly LON-CPT in Club and I suspect you will find your "feeling" is completely out of touch

Its the right product, for the right market. Sometimes bad, mostly adequate, occasionally exceptional

Well BA does have the route to itself :roll:

But you're right, BA is doing absolutely fine with its product and the density means that it is the most profitable class on a square feet basis.

But my point still stands, a huge number of former BA frequent flyers have switched to the competition, as on the whole it's much better!

shankly

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Kaitak, your claim is completely unsubstantiated. I am happy to accept its your view, but its not a fact, so please stick to facts

CPT is a classic example. Direct, BA has all the fruits. But day to day from LON one can use Qatar, Emirates, Turkish, KLM, Lufthansa and now Ethiopian. Seasonally there are a few other options.

BA's Club is always full to and from CPT. I fly this route regularly. Occasionally I use EK, when they have a mad fare. But mostly I will use BA. If BA's frequents are switching, they are picking up plenty of new business to fill the route. I flew EK Business down here in July with the Business cabin about one quarter occupied.....are their frequent flyers perhaps switching to the competition?
L1011 - P F M

KaiTak747

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:32 pm

shankly wrote:
Kaitak, your claim is completely unsubstantiated. I am happy to accept its your view, but its not a fact, so please stick to facts

CPT is a classic example. Direct, BA has all the fruits. But day to day from LON one can use Qatar, Emirates, Turkish, KLM, Lufthansa and now Ethiopian. Seasonally there are a few other options.

BA's Club is always full to and from CPT. I fly this route regularly. Occasionally I use EK, when they have a mad fare. But mostly I will use BA. If BA's frequents are switching, they are picking up plenty of new business to fill the route. I flew EK Business down here in July with the Business cabin about one quarter occupied.....are their frequent flyers perhaps switching to the competition?

Sorry Shankly but your anecdotes about your flights to Capetown are completely missing the point.

CPT is a really bad example, BA have the route to themselves, and therefore fliers will be less inclined to fly on another carrier as it requires a layover (and a large detour if on the ME3), so the product and the price have less of an effect on demand.

The point I was trying to make is that on routes in which BA actually competes with other airlines (e.g. LHR-JFK, HKG, YYZ), more BA frequent fliers are switching to the competition. I might be wrong, but this is the impression from the people I know who used to fly BA club regularly.

Of course, there's probably so much demand that BA can still achieve high yields for an increasingly mediocre product.

commavia

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:36 pm

I think others have already hit on the bottom line - BA dominates the single largest and most premium air market on earth, which is LHR. As long as BA has such a strong position in an O&D market that large and that rich, it's hard to imagine BA being quite as concerned about a lot of things that may drive decision making, competitive behavior and advocacy at other carriers. That likely explains why BA seems far less concerned about low-fare competition from the continent nor longhaul competition from the Mid East, why BA seems far less enthusiastic about the tradeoffs of adding a third LHR runway (and all the competitors' flights it would facilitate), and yes, why BA seems in less of a hurry to put in an arguably better but also lower-density premium configuration on its longhaul fleet.

I've flown longhaul BA J on the 777, 747 and A380 and I agree with others that, for example, JV partner AA's new 777 J cabin is vastly better in terms of hard product (BA is still better on soft product, although there too I don't think the gap is nearly what it was a decade ago). But again, BA is optimizing its fleet for its network, and if BA can actually fill such an incredible number of premium seats on its longhaul planes (111 on the A380, up to 100 on the 747, etc.), and at high-yielding fares no less, why on earth would BA change that? As has already been suggested, I do agree that at some point BA likely will have to upgrade the longhaul J cabins but I don't think that need is nearly as immediate, say, it has been for JV partner AA. Plus, it's true that for most people, even with the somewhat awkward arrangement, complaints of narrow seats or rear-facing windows, etc., the bottom line is that BA does offer all-lie-flat and technically all-aisle-access J, and that's still not bad.

jfk777

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:01 pm

Club World was a leading lie-flat product when it was introduced in 2000, the world has changed especially with the arrival of the ME3. A380, 787, 77W and A350's have also created ultra long haul planes of ever size. In a world where Air Canada, Cathay and Singapore have similar seats vastly different from BA's that tells you something. Even the US3 have moved to a 1-2-1 arrangement for Business class seats. I would hope that Willie Walsh would take the time when the 787, A380 and A350 join the BA fleet to do a new J class seat. Waiting with Anticipation, hope fully not disappointed.

TedToToe

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Long story short, the A350 will see direct aisle access for all CW seats and that countermeasures their number one complaint.

ualcsr

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:19 pm

I recently flew an old BA 747 from MIA to LHR in business class and was very disappointed. I had a window seat and as mentioned here, had to climb over someone's legs to get out to the aisle. The plane was so old it did not have individual a/c controls and the tv screen was very small. It goes beyond the plane though. While it's minor, if you're flying business class, you shouldn't get nuts in a bag, nor should your main breakfast dish be a bacon roll. I flew back on AA on a 777 and the product was so much more updated and the service much better. The BA 747s need to go.

ba319-131

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:22 pm

I don't think it's that bad to be honest.

Yes, the likes of direct aisle access on CX, QR etc is great, however the BA seat itself is comfortable to sit in and when in bed mode is great for sleep. The window seats offer pretty decent privacy IMO.

In all honesty, just a bit more room between seats to remove the stepping over of the neighbors legs would be a big improvement, which I think they are planning to roll out on the A350 in 2018.

As others have pointed out, there is a huge demand for paid J on BA, they have no need to offer the best product out there.
111,732,733,734,735,736,73G,738,739,7M8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312,313,318,319,320,20N,321,332,333,342,343,345,346,388,CS1,CS3,I86,154,SSJ,CRJ,CR7,CR9,145,170,175,220

RL777

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:48 pm

I don't think its a stretch to say that BA currently offer one of the worst J hard products of any major airline, considering much of the competition offer direct aisle access. Not only that but the rear facing seats are a bit dated and from what it seems quite unpopular. Unfortunately BA could offer a 10 abreast J cabin and still do ok, the London area is one of the most premium heavy traffic markets in the world and as the home team with the most flights it gains a big chunk of the share by default.

AEROFAN

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:04 pm

N62NA wrote:
A friend flew NAS-LHR last night on BA in J and sent me some photos of the 772's business class which reminded me of just how awful from a passenger's perspective it is. Now, from a revenue perspective, cramming 8 people per row into those tuna cans has got to be wonderful.

Given that almost every other major airline has gone 1-2-1 in widebody J, when do you all think BA will replace the tuna cans with 1-2-1 in J?

I find it truly fascinating why people still fly BA in J. The moment BA eliminated the ability to select a seat in J - was the moment I stopped flying them. There was absolutely no way in hell I was going to spend thousands of dollars on a ticket and didn't have the option of pre-selecting my seat.

TedToToe

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:15 pm

Lots of BA bashing going on here. The rear facing window seats are very popular with those who eat in the lounge, then get on board, put the seat into bed mode and sleep. Likewise, the centre rear facing seats are popular with couples. As they have done with F in the 789, BA will continue to update the CW seat, including direct aisle access.

RIX

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:24 pm

Give me BA J window seat any day, any time. A great little "all mine" compartment, even with not-so-direct access to the aisle - and especially if/when it is addressed. Flown on other seats too, nowhere near "horrible". Great soft product. As for those imaginary defectors to competitors product - even better, greater chance for me to be upgraded from WTP (happened twice, both times I was not flying alone, and I don't have any elite frequent flier status).

9w748capt

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:12 pm

TedToToe wrote:
Lots of BA bashing going on here. The rear facing window seats are very popular with those who eat in the lounge, then get on board, put the seat into bed mode and sleep. Likewise, the centre rear facing seats are popular with couples. As they have done with F in the 789, BA will continue to update the CW seat, including direct aisle access.

That is one thing that BA does have on the competition is the pre-flight dining. AA I believe has Flagship dining only for F and top tier elites, not for all J pax. Thankfully I'm not one of those JFK-LHR commuters but if I was, being able to dine before the flight would really help given how short east coast-LHR flights are.

And as I mentioned above, my wife and I also enjoy the center honeymoon seats. But the seat is still barely wide enough to sleep in (especially if you've ever set foot in a gym). And the ottoman - don't even get me started (again).

Andy33

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:00 am

ualcsr wrote:
I recently flew an old BA 747 from MIA to LHR in business class and was very disappointed. I had a window seat and as mentioned here, had to climb over someone's legs to get out to the aisle. The plane was so old it did not have individual a/c controls and the tv screen was very small. It goes beyond the plane though. While it's minor, if you're flying business class, you shouldn't get nuts in a bag, nor should your main breakfast dish be a bacon roll. I flew back on AA on a 777 and the product was so much more updated and the service much better. The BA 747s need to go.

Well, you'll be pleased to hear that another BA 747 was withdrawn this week, leaving 37. By the end of this year there will be 36. But 18 of those are the ones that have gone through a mild refurbishment, including brand new IFE, and now sport no less than 86 of the J class seats posters here object to. Strangely they don't seem to have any problem filling these with paying customers.
The remaining 18 are indeed going, just as fast as Airbus can deliver the 18 A350-1000s that have been ordered to replace them.

skane340

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:32 am

In my opinion LX has the best business product I have flown on.
Every second window seat is a singel seat with a lot of space and privacy. The food and staff are wonderful!

knoxibus

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:41 pm

I actually like flying BA in J. Especially when I manage to select the upper deck on the 747, just behind the emergency exit. No "excuse-me" from the window pax here. Same goes for the front row seats on any other aircraft type.

Seems the thread opener's wish might be answered sooner rather than later from what I heard through the grapevine.
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

APYu

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Andy33 wrote:
ualcsr wrote:
Strangely they don't seem to have any problem filling these with paying customers.

If only they were all paying. Typically 10-20 of them are occupied by staff using concessions.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

garpd

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:54 pm

APYu wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
ualcsr wrote:
Strangely they don't seem to have any problem filling these with paying customers.

If only they were all paying. Typically 10-20 of them are occupied by staff using concessions.

Hmm, that number seems high. That's half the cabin on most of the fleet. I call shenanigans on your numbers, sir.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

APYu

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:00 pm

garpd wrote:
That's half the cabin on most of the fleet. I call shenanigans on your numbers, sir.

Its based on my own experience of travelling on BA staff travel. I'm typically 10 to 15 on the J priority list and have always been successful on it. On sunday I was Number 15 on a 40 J seat cabin

Once I was Number 32 - but I re-routed as it was looking dicey!
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

S75752

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:08 pm

I doubt they will ever need to replace their business class with the new standard 1-2-1. Not only is it so many lost seats on routes that can fill them, it is also lost profit potential. Just like in Y, higher density means higher profits. I expect that once the competetive trend settles down we'll see a return to high density business again for most airlines, with new fare competition also appearing in J sales with the seat counts found again. Stepping over legs really isn't that bad, if that's a huge problem then there's always First. The biggest annoyance is lack of stowage space, having to fetch a laptop bag from the overhead compartment once finally in flight and having to stuff it back up there again for landing. That's the main existing problem, but even SAS's rather decadent 1-2-1 Business did not solve that.

Despite having no aisle access, their J actually takes care of one of the most crucial issues; privacy. Rising, powered dividers allow for keeping separate from the person next to you, allowing you to work and sleep in peace without the awkwardness of trying to sleep right beside a total stranger and screen-peeking.

Rather, they should focus their efforts on getting proper WiFi and Power Plugs throughout all seats on their fleet to allow for those who need to do work to do work properly while connected to the world, in either cabin.

garpd

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Very well said S75752. I have exactly the same opinion and observation.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

APYu

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Wifi would be awesome - they are so behind on that

Viscount724

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:39 pm

knoxibus wrote:
I actually like flying BA in J. Especially when I manage to select the upper deck on the 747, just behind the emergency exit. No "excuse-me" from the window pax here. Same goes for the front row seats on any other aircraft type.

Last row seats on all aircraft types also have direct aisle access from all seats, including window seats.

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:46 am

S75752 wrote:
if that's a huge problem then there's always First

For the overwhelming majority of carriers... no, there isn't.

Even on many/most carriers that offer F, there's a good chance that that's not even an option on that particular airframe.
Which is probably a contributory reason as to why so few are utilizing such a product.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

tonystan

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:51 pm

BA have recently reconfigured 18 of their 744s to a super Hi-J config with an increase to 86 club world seats in this configuration.

Sorry fella but it's clearly working very VERY well for BA! Proof is in the pudding and with an impending (and not soon enough) relaunch of the Club world soft product later next year things can only get better
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

inaforeignsky

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:05 am

APYu wrote:
Wifi would be awesome - they are so behind on that

Wifi is being rolled out on BA long haul in 2017. Short haul to follow in 2018.

Armodeen

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:23 am

Auchmithie wrote:
The BA layout across the cabin is exactly the same as the Etihad layout on their A380 and B787-9. The differerence is that the Etihad seats have additional space between the seats so that window & middle seat passengers have direct aisle access - which is precisely what BA are proposing for their A350s. The other difference is that on B787s BA are 7 abreast whereas Etihad are 8 abreast. I never see any complaining about the Etihad density across the cabin,

I'm sorry but have you flown these two products? There have very little in common, with Etihad having one of the best business class products (on 380/787s) and BA being in the lower end of the market.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos