wnflyguy
Topic Author

WN rumors to buy either?

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:59 pm

Rumors are swirling around about WN buying someone.

Leading the water cooler buzz is COPA.
2. Hawaiian
3. jetBlue

So my question is how would the Copa deal work out?
Would WN just operate them as a separate airline or Southwest SA operated by Copa.

I have no inside info this is just sharing the rumor buzz.
With both Pilots and FA hard sale for their respective new TA on contracts.
Conspiracy theories are WN making moves to buy someone else.

I think Copa would fit quite well within WN.
As would B6.
I don't think buying Hawaiian would being much value.

Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

SteveXC500

Re: WN rumors to buy either?

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Curious if these are strictly anonymous sources or iron clad rumors?

IPFreely

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:24 pm

What verification is required to classify something as an iron clad rumor?

TVNWZ

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:25 pm

A relative or friend of a flight crew or someone who knows someone who may work for WN.

flyDTW1992

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:29 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

2. Hawaiian
3. jetBlue

Would WN just operate them as a separate airline or Southwest SA operated by Copa.

Flyguy

I can't imagine a situation where Southwest would acquire more than the 51% Continental had historically. I don't think WN completely absorbing the flag carrier of a Central American nation would make anyone particularly happy.
Now you're flying smart

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:56 pm

flyDTW1992 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

2. Hawaiian
3. jetBlue

Flyguy

I can't imagine a situation where Southwest would acquire more than the 51% Continental had historically. I don't think WN completely absorbing the flag carrier of a Central American nation would make anyone particularly happy.

The Panama government approved foreign ownership of Copa for from 41% to now 100%.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

flyDTW1992

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:11 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
flyDTW1992 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

2. Hawaiian
3. jetBlue

Flyguy

The Panama government approved foreign ownership of Copa for from 41% to now 100%.

Flyguy

Source? Because the investor relations section of Copa's site says this:

"However, under the Panamanian Aviation Act, Panamanian nationals must exercise “effective control” over the operations of the airline and must maintain “substantial ownership.” The share ownership requirements and transfer restrictions contained in our Articles of Incorporation, as well as the dual-class structure of our voting capital stock are designed to ensure compliance with these ownership and control restrictions."
Now you're flying smart

hOMSaR

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:24 pm

So, Southwest could be buying Copa...or Hawaiian...or JetBlue?

Why not throw Cubana (or, better yet, Air Koryo) on the list for good measure?

Some folks seem to think airlines buy other airlines the way some people buy dinner.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:32 pm

This one is really, really stupid.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

jackieman27

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:35 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
A relative or friend of a flight crew or someone who knows someone who may work for WN.

Exactly :lol:

airliner371

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:38 pm

I appreciate that you shared this rumor but you post rumors every month and don't exactly have the best track record. We'll see if anything happens this time...

2travel2know2

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:47 pm

So if (all) CM code-share passengers on UA PTY-IAH are now upset that UA charges for meals and CM decides to study E190 PTY-HOU to at least give Houston O/D traffic meals on board, WN now has an interest to buy into CM?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

enilria

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:50 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

2. Hawaiian
3. jetBlue

I have no inside info this is just sharing the rumor buzz.
With both Pilots and FA hard sale for their respective new TA on contracts.
Conspiracy theories are WN making moves to buy someone else.

I think Copa would fit quite well within WN.
As would B6.
I don't think buying Hawaiian would being much value.

Flyguy

They would choke on any of them and destroy all of them. COPA is ridiculous. HA would be pretty stupid as they could do well to Hawaii if they could just figure out red-eyes. HA doesn't solve that problem. I don't doubt they want B6, but I pray the DOJ would stop it.

Having said all of that, was it somebody as trustworthy as a Flight Attendant's mom's ex-boyfriend who spilled the beans on WN's plans? I would hate anybody on a.net to get convicted of insider trading because of an aggrieved boyfriend. ;)

FlyHossD

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:54 pm

airliner371 wrote:
I appreciate that you shared this rumor but you post rumors every month and don't exactly have the best track record. We'll see if anything happens this time...

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who heard the rumor at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious." If you're as old as me, you'll get this movie reference.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

metaldirtnskin

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:57 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who heard the rumor at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious." If you're as old as me, you'll get this movie reference.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off, of course.

Anyway, I don't know that you can even trust rumors from within an airline much more than from outside. I've worked at multiple companies, both in and out of aviation, where huge rumors made the rounds internally about mergers or acquisitions, but later proved untrue.

bradyj23

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:18 pm

Well it can't be Hawaiian. Because Delta is going to buy them to get more 717s! I swear it's true.

ikramerica

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:46 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
airliner371 wrote:

So close. But you fumbled at the end.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

flyby519

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:53 pm

Most rumors have a tiny shred of truth in them, and I'm sure at some point in recent years there have been discussions "Should we look into buying XYZ airline?" Then after 5 minutes of researching it, they realize it won't work to buy HA/B6/CM.

TUSDawg23

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:58 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Why would WN have any interest trying to acquire another carrier? They just finished a long and difficult merger with Airtran. The last thing they want to do is buy another airline right now. Now if they would like to acquire a stake in one of the carriers you mentioned, then that is certainly a possibility. But acquiring another carrier would be a really poor decision on their part and it would not go down with regulators.

SFOtoORD

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:09 am

bradyj23 wrote:
Well it can't be Hawaiian. Because Delta is going to buy them to get more 717s! I swear it's true.

I thought Delta'a strategy was to get WN to buy 717 operators and then pick them up on the cheap.

alggag

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:22 am

WN is my go to airline but buying HA, B6, or CM sounds like a disaster in the making.

As long as we're referencing movies: "(WN) you were so preoccupied with whether or not you could you didn't stop to think if you should." :p

flyiguy

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:37 am

CM would make sense considering you can get all the way to EZE south or BOS to the north from PTY with plenty of connection opportunities at HOU, FLL, PHX, BWI etc. I don't think a merger would happen but with UA being more cozy with AV, CM is becoming the 3rd wheel in the *A south american travel. But you never know.

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

Wayfarer515

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:10 am

If there's an airline to be bought put that should be AVIANCA. They are pretty much in tatters with Mr.Efromovich spending the capital provided by Elliot Management in other things not related to the airline, and even worse failing to get any profit from them. Now Elliot is pushing them to get rid of part or the whole airline to get their money back. Rumors around the pilot ranks in TACA is that the TACA part is the one being pushed by Elliot to be sold out. Funny thing is that TACA was the only profitable side previous to the merger-takeover from Mr. Efromovich.

Italianflyer

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:22 am

hOMSaR wrote:

Some folks seem to think airlines buy other airlines the way some people buy dinner.

Start up the "When will WN retire the TU-154 threads.

sunking737

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:28 am

Southwest is buying Southern Express Airways and will buy 1,000 Cessna caravans for commuter service out of every major southwest city. My FB friend told me.......He works at HQ
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

NYCRuss

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:37 am

I read that WN will be the launch customer for the A380-900 Neo. 20 will be ordered. They will be used exclusively on the JFK-EWR route.

hOMSaR

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:44 am

Italianflyer wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:

Start up the "When will WN retire the TU-154 threads.

No. WN won't fly the TU154. They'll sell them to Delta.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

winginit

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:49 am

airliner371 wrote:

This. OP is bored and just wants to stir the pot. There's not a single source for this rumor.

MaxxFlyer

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:13 am

For the love of God, enough with merger speculation rumors. NO MORE MERGERS. Pax are getting screwed on airfares due to decreased competition.

FlyHossD

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:35 am

ikramerica wrote:
So close. But you fumbled at the end.

Actually, I deliberately altered the quote to "match" it to the rumor. But you're correct, the quote is not exact.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Mst4k

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:41 am

I think Copa fits Southwest's pattern of buying AirTran to get into Atlanta and the northeast. It's a stretch and I realize buying FL was more about eliminating a competitor but Southwest has some experience now in complex acquisitions. If approached properly, it could work out well for them. Of course I'm not familiar with the foreign ownership issues but we're definitely in the era of airline globalization.
“Senator, you whipped out that Mexican thing again.”
"Can you defend it?"

TWA772LR

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:32 am

WN is going to buy Gol, Mango, Jetstar, Indigo, and Volotea to form the world's first super-LCC.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:37 am

MaxxFlyer wrote:
. NO MORE MERGERS. Pax are getting screwed on airfares due to decreased competition.

For which there's no empirical data to support, but perhaps if it's repeated enough......
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

airliner371

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:27 am

enilria wrote:
They would choke on any of them and destroy all of them. COPA is ridiculous. HA would be pretty stupid as they could do well to Hawaii if they could just figure out red-eyes. HA doesn't solve that problem. I don't doubt they want B6, but I pray the DOJ would stop it.

I disagree. While I highly question the credit of the OP's sources, I don't think any of those listed acquisition candidates would "choke" WN, rather, it would slow the airline down.

HA wouldn't give WN too much but it would introduce a widebody to the WN fleet (should they choose keep them) and would even provide some far international experience including rights to two flights a day at Haneda.

B6 would be just like AirTran all over again, which you can say maybe didn't end up the best for consumers (I would disagree, and this coming from a day one AirTran fan) but you can't say it wasn't great for Southwest. AirTran brought a lot to Southwest, more so than meets the eye, even yours enilria ;) . B6 would be same motives, different gains. They'd once again eliminate a competitor but this time they'd gain a significant presence in NYC, Boston and the Carribean. They'd also gain some significant transcon service which their route network currently lacks. A hypothetical B6 acquisition could easily be an AirTran integration 2.0 with Southwest slowly replacing B6, something that worked very well the first time (just because it took a long time doesn't mean it wasn't just as successful as say the DL/NW merger... simply different).

COPA would be interesting. It'd follow Delta's playbook in investing in foreign carriers though I don't know that they would invest in a majority stake in the company.

---
Southwest is in a very transformative process right now, and next year should prove to be a big year for Southwest as they introduce a new consolidated reservation system and potentially introduce codeshares, interlining and red eyes. And with the pending Alaska/Virgin America merger, I expect we'll see a trend at Southwest that leans towards adding some more transcon markets. Accordingly, the problem with a merger AT THIS TIME, could be that it slows down the momentum Southwest has gained since their last acquisition, at least for the period during a potential integration. I think another merger/acquisition is in the future of Southwest, but I think it's still a few years down the road.

AA737-823

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:41 am

LAX772LR wrote:
MaxxFlyer wrote:
. NO MORE MERGERS. Pax are getting screwed on airfares due to decreased competition.

For which there's no empirical data to support, but perhaps if it's repeated enough......

Oh please. I'm all for healthy, strong air carriers, but I don't think there's any way that we can even remotely pretend that ANYONE benefitted from mergermania other than the carriers. For evidence, I point out the "changes you'll like" that were made to the MileagePlus program. And SkyPesos. And now disAAdvantage.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:22 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
For evidence, I point out the "changes you'll like" that were made to the MileagePlus program. And SkyPesos. And now disAAdvantage.

I'll see your whining about frequent flyer programs, and I'll raise you the facts that more people are flying than ever before, to more destinations served than ever before, on more flights offered than ever before--- while paying lower fares to do so.

Both average and median air fare continue to decrease (as per inflation) over what they were 10yrs ago, 20yrs ago, 30yrs ago. Ancillary fees are optional. US airlines are finally investing in their hard and soft products after nearly a decade of status quo. Taxpayers are also not on the hook for bailing out failing carriers.

But whaaaaaa!, "I can't get double miles and halfway to elite status on $199 transcons anymore!"
Let's get real, shall we. :roll:
Last edited by LAX772LR on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

2travel2know2

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:24 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
WN is going to buy Gol, Mango, Jetstar, Indigo, and Volotea to form the world's first super-LCC.
Actually Brazilian G3 fits more into WN-type airline model than CM.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

enilria

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:18 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Southwest is buying Southern Express Airways and will buy 1,000 Cessna caravans for commuter service out of every major southwest city. My FB friend told me.......He works at HQ

Yeah, HaircutsQuick has pretty good ratings on Yelp, but I prefer Great Clips.
airliner371 wrote:
Southwest is in a very transformative process right now, and next year should prove to be a big year for Southwest as they introduce a new consolidated reservation system and potentially introduce codeshares, interlining and red eyes.

Actually, in a Q+A earlier this year a Managing Director in Route Planning said those three things would come long after the Altea cutover. I think the quote was "we are focused on baseline functionality at cutover and those projects all have delivery dates in the years afterward".

Has that changed? It sounds like some of those were as much as 5 years away or more. Most red-eye problems are not solved by the Altea cutover. WN's backend ops systems don't allow scheduled red-eyes it was revealed in that presentation and there is no timeline to replace that system.

dabpit

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:31 pm

There has been a bit of buzz at Copa regarding a sale to another airline. Personally I don't see Southwest buying any stake in another airline for a few years still, but if they were the most likely candidate would be Copa.
Carpe Diem

MKEdude

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Yeah this is just idle airline gossip. B6 would be a nightmare, all Airbus vs all Boeing, plus I doubt regulators would sign off on it. HA? Why? What would it get them, trans-pac routes? Sounds like Napoleon moving into Russia. CM, well...swallowing them whole would be a bad idea, but buying a chunk and establishing a strategic partnership to ferry pax to and from Central and South America, that's a possibility.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

compensateme

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:03 pm

The OP has a history of manufacturing rumors and passing them off as "from a reputable source." A proper title is "what if WN were to buy..." and a proper place for it is travel polls & preferences.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

INFINITI329

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:02 pm

airliner371 wrote:
HA wouldn't give WN too much but it would introduce a widebody to the WN fleet (should they choose keep them) and would even provide some far international experience including rights to two flights a day at Haneda.

Getting rid of widebodys at HA would not even be an option. It will be something WN would have to deal with.

airliner371

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:25 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
airliner371 wrote:

Getting rid of widebodys at HA would not even be an option. It will be something WN would have to deal with.

Not true. Understand we're talking about a completely hypothetical scenario here but I bring up whether they would keep the widebodys because they could very easily acquire HA, cut the transpacific routes and operate the 737 MAX on the Hawaii flights.

Then you could come back at me and say why would they go through the trouble of buying HA and I would agree. The only real gain would be that WN eliminates a competitor (not even) and immediately gets a leading position in Hawaii. If WN were bold, they would keep the trans pacific network and grow it, but in this hypothetical, I also wouldn't put it against WN to do exactly what I just mentioned. We'll see... or maybe we won't...

kimshep

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:56 am

airliner371 wrote:
Not true. Understand we're talking about a completely hypothetical scenario here but I bring up whether they would keep the widebodys because they could very easily acquire HA, cut the transpacific routes and operate the 737 MAX on the Hawaii flights.

Why would WN cut the Transpacific routes? I'd suggest that the Transpacific routes are a major contributor to HA's profit - and if WN is looking for exposure / experience on international routes and operation. a HA acquisition would provide that in spades.

flyiguy

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:17 am

2travel2know2 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Doesn't DL own a good portion of GOL and hold seats on their B.O.D. ?

CM I could see being a better fit with a Central American hub, but WN would need to look at implementing a "BF" class even if it's only 4-8 seats.

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

TWA772LR

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:32 am

flyiguy wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Doesn't DL own a good portion of GOL and hold seats on their B.O.D. ?

CM I could see being a better fit with a Central American hub, but WN would need to look at implementing a "BF" class even if it's only 4-8 seats.

FLY

If WN already had a J class product, then I could see it. But Copa is a full service airline. It's not up WN's alley like FL was with Air Tran being an LCC that happened to have a J class. There is also Copa Colombia; WN may have to deal with potential hurdles with the Colombian regulators.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

INFINITI329

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:09 pm

airliner371 wrote:
ot true. Understand we're talking about a completely hypothetical scenario here but I bring up whether they would keep the widebodys because they could very easily acquire HA, cut the transpacific routes and operate the 737 MAX on the Hawaii flights

kimshep wrote:
Why would WN cut the Transpacific routes? I'd suggest that the Transpacific routes are a major contributor to HA's profit - and if WN is looking for exposure / experience on international routes and operation. a HA acquisition would provide that in spades.

Airliner371 you're thinking one dimensional. Two main reasons why the wide bodies will stay in a WN scenario. 1st Kimshep hit the nail on the head in terms of the transpacific routes. 2nd... cargo, cargo,cargo. WN loves cargo. There is no way you can be a cargo centric airline and expect to use solely 737s to move cargo to Hawaii.. absolutely not.

rbavfan

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:13 am

flyDTW1992 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

2. Hawaiian
3. jetBlue

Flyguy

Doesn't United already own part of COPA. It would be easier to pull out the CEO's teeth than get UA to give that up.

Cunard

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:43 am

You've just opened up what is a ridiculous thread from over two years ago just to make that irrelevant comment, this thread obviously should have been locked by now as after two years nothing has changed from the previous rumours started by this OP.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

MaverickTTT

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 am

Cunard wrote:
You've just opened up what is a ridiculous thread from over two years ago just to make that irrelevant comment, this thread obviously should have been locked by now as after two years nothing has changed from the previous rumours started by this OP.

Well, as long as it's re-opened...

The B6 rumour seems to be, once again, picking up steam among the WN folks I know. Alas, it's a rumour that comes and goes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos