NichCage
Topic Author

Why does Delta Air Lines fly Atlanta-Stuttgart?

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:07 am

I have a question, why does Delta Air Lines fly between Atlanta and Stuttgart? When did the service start? It seems like an odd route, as well as the only long haul route form Stuttgart.

AMALH747430

Re: Why does Delta Air Lines fly Atlanta-Stuttgart?

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:13 am

Does Daimler-Benz have some sort of contract with DL? There is a big Mercedes-Benz plant in Tuscaloosa, AL. ATL is a prime transfer point for traffic in the deep south. This may have some bearing on DL operating the route. I believe it's been around for some time.

ipodguy7

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:17 am

Further, Porsche has its NA HQ right outside of Atlanta, that must drive quite a few J seats.
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

beau222

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:31 am

Ocktoberfest

n515cr

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:35 am

MB has also moved their US HQ to Atlanta (Sandy Springs to be exact).

However, I believe this flight has been around for several years, if not longer.

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:37 am

IINM the flight also predates the plant in Alabama. Generally, though, there's a lot of German investment in and trade with the southeast.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

TW870

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:37 am

NichCage wrote:
I have a question, why does Delta Air Lines fly between Atlanta and Stuttgart? When did the service start? It seems like an odd route, as well as the only long haul route form Stuttgart.

DL service to STR goes way back to the 1990s, and I believe goes all the way back to the Pan Am acquisition since Pan Am had such a strong position in Germany after operating the Internal German Service. In the 1990s, the service tagged on to Budapest. I don't recall when they added non-stop across the pond service to STR out of Atlanta, but I believe it was in the mid-1990s.

OA412

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:39 am

The flight has been around for a very long time. Unless I'm mistaken, it's been flown for well over 20 years now.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

United1

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:41 am

n515cr wrote:

However, I believe this flight has been around for several years, if not longer.

The nonstop is relatively new but IIRC DL started flying to STR even before the PA transatlantic routes....I want to say it was flown via ZRH initially.

STR is one of the few German cities where DL seems to be able to hold its own...even UA with the LH Joint Venture wasn't able to make EWR-STR work.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:42 am

ipodguy7 wrote:
Further, Porsche has its NA HQ right outside of Atlanta, that must drive quite a few J seats.

Heck, it's right at the end of runway 8L at ATL.

While the German automotive ties to the southeast U.S. have deepened in the last decade, DL has had this flight for many years, I think going back to at least the 1990s.

DXTraveler

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:43 am

Because they thought they could make money doing it?

lesfalls

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:44 am

United1 wrote:
n515cr wrote:

The nonstop is relatively new but IIRC DL started flying to STR even before the PA transatlantic routes....I want to say it was flown via ZRH initially.

STR is one of the few German cities where DL seems to be able to hold its own...even UA with the LH Joint Venture wasn't able to make EWR-STR work.

How come did UA "fail" in STR?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

rj968

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:50 am

Delta was flying ATL - STR shortly after I went to work for them in 1985, probably 86 or 87, long before the Pan Am acquisition. The original routing was ATL-STR-MUC then return Back thru STR. Back then it was a great non rev way to get to Germany. I took it last October (paid ticket) and it was full both ways.

RJ

United1

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:17 am

lesfalls wrote:
United1 wrote:
n515cr wrote:

How come did UA "fail" in STR?

Most of the higher yielding market in and out of STR seems to be made up of automotive traffic coming out of GA and the South...UA wasn't able to capture enough of that market to make a EWR flight work.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

MAH4546

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:23 am

United1 wrote:
n515cr wrote:

The nonstop isn't relatively new at all. It's been operated for 20+ years now. I think it dates to 1994 or so.
a.

United1

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:27 am

MAH4546 wrote:
United1 wrote:
n515cr wrote:

The nonstop isn't relatively new at all. It's been operated for 20+ years now. I think it dates to 1994 or so.

Fair enough...somehow or another I remember ATL-STR being a newer route for DL although they have served the city since the mid 80's.

rj968

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:39 am

Had time to look it up. April 27 1986, and it was ATL-MUC-STR in the beginning. I can't answer the OP's original question - Why?
This was long before the German auto industry connection to ATL and the southeast.
When I flew this a number of times in the late eighties (it was half full each time) it looked like a lot of US Army personnel to STR, but not much money on those government contract fares then.

RJ

Tdan

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:43 am

United1 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
United1 wrote:

Fair enough...somehow or another I remember ATL-STR being a newer route for DL although they have served the city since the mid 80's.

There is also quite a bit of GSA traffic to STR and DL gets most of this. UA tried for it and failed largely. That plus the long length of haul on the 757s and UA's decision to remove winter tech stops spelled the end for the route. IIRC, LH wasn't all that happy with the route since it largely cannibalized traffic that was already flying on A++ either via FRA or MUC.
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

AaronPGH

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:53 am

Also the Stuttgart metro region lands around 5 million people. Not a tiny place.

MaxxFlyer

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:10 am

TW870 wrote:
NichCage wrote:

DL service to STR goes way back to the 1990s, and I believe goes all the way back to the Pan Am acquisition since Pan Am had such a strong position in Germany after operating the Internal German Service. In the 1990s, the service tagged on to Budapest. I don't recall when they added non-stop across the pond service to STR out of Atlanta, but I believe it was in the mid-1990s.

STR was served pre-Pan Am routes. It was one of the first cities they added after the bigger destinations. This topic was discussed on here way back in 2002: viewtopic.php?t=136337

Slcpilot

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:34 am

Many years I rode JFK(or STL)-CDG-STR on an L-1011 with TWA. I suspect it was in the early 90s. There were 39 folks on the CDG-STR leg as pax.

I have some ancient 8mm footage of the flight some people in internetland would enjoy seeing on YouTube. Someday.

Cheers!

SLCPilot
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

factsonly

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:10 am

United1 wrote:

rj968 wrote:
Had time to look it up. April 27 1986, and it was ATL-MUC-STR in the beginning.

rj968 wrote:
The original routing was ATL-STR-MUC then return Back thru STR.

Just checked the facts in old DL schedules:

Between 1990-1995 DL operated DL38/DL39 routing ATL-AMS-STR-AMS-ATL daily with L1011-500.

Kilopond

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:33 am

NichCage wrote:
I have a question, why does Delta Air Lines fly between Atlanta and Stuttgart? [...]

The main reason for this flight is the significant US military presence auround Stuttgart.

CARST

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:43 am

factsonly wrote:
Just checked the facts in old DL schedules:

Between 1990-1995 DL operated DL38/DL39 routing ATL-AMS-STR-AMS-ATL daily with L1011-500.

That doesn say that rj968 is wrong, he said the routing in 1986 was ATL-STR-MUC-STR-ATL.

NichCage wrote:

Foremost, STR is a very rich metro region in Germany, it is one of the areas where the big money is at home. There is the automobile industry with Mercedes and Porsche, but always thousands of smaller companies, many of them not known to most people, but one of the leaders in producing certain machinery (parts) etc.

Also just have a look at the map and you will start to wonder, why there aren't more longhaul flights to STR. The next large airports are very far away, 3 hours and more by car, not acceptable for most people in Germany. The country is rather small and people are not used to drive long distances just to get to an airport.

lugie

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:05 am

CARST wrote:
Also just have a look at the map and you will start to wonder, why there aren't more longhaul flights to STR. The next large airports are very far away, 3 hours and more by car, not acceptable for most people in Germany. The country is rather small and people are not used to drive long distances just to get to an airport.

This part is not entirely correct, while Stuttgart definitely is a wealthy metro area that might support more flights, the distances are not all that horrible.

FRA and MUC are about equidistant at a driving time of 2.5 hrs which is indeed quite a lot. However FRA can be reached by train in merely 1:30 which is what many people actually do (in fact I Iive close to Mannheim and the ICEs Stuttgart-Mannheim-FRA are always packed with travellers even though they operate up to 3-4 times an hour).
Also LH offers rather frequent service to both airports and sometimes STR-FRA/MUC- _ _ _ is actually cheaper to book than FRA/MUC- _ _ _.
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 77W 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN AC
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW YYZ SJO PTY

rutankrd

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:58 am

When the Atlanta services started in the eighties the runway length was only 7400 fleet long. It was extended to the current 10,975 fleet length in 1996 allowing non stop TALC services to commence.

Stuttgart is a highly industrialised city with substantial wealth.

The airports long haul opportunities are currently hampered by the German- UAE bilateral agreement preventing Emirates/Etihad access , through THY are taking advantage of this via Istanbul.

Its a much under utilised airport blighted by the Hub and Spoke business model employed by the legacies and alliance partners these days, positioned as its is between Zurich/Munich/Frankfurt and Paris.

Like the majority of the mid sized European airports much/most of the traffic generated is Summer Sun and Sand. Unfortunately its a little too far north to be useful for winter ski arrivals imo.

As for Continental/United the use of the 75w was uncompetitive with the train/Frankfurt as well as discounting by BA/AA over Heathrow and in winter I believe performance hindered. Again a victim of the Hub and Spoke business model

Alsatian

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:02 am

NichCage wrote:
I have a question, why does Delta Air Lines fly between Atlanta and Stuttgart?

AMALH747430 wrote:
There is a big Mercedes-Benz plant in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Right and DL uses same flight numbers (116 and 117) for BHM - ATL - STR and STR - ATL - BHM sectors.

CARST

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:32 am

lugie wrote:
This part is not entirely correct, while Stuttgart definitely is a wealthy metro area that might support more flights, the distances are not all that horrible.

FRA and MUC are about equidistant at a driving time of 2.5 hrs which is indeed quite a lot. However FRA can be reached by train in merely 1:30 which is what many people actually do (in fact I Iive close to Mannheim and the ICEs Stuttgart-Mannheim-FRA are always packed with travellers even though they operate up to 3-4 times an hour).
Also LH offers rather frequent service to both airports and sometimes STR-FRA/MUC- _ _ _ is actually cheaper to book than FRA/MUC- _ _ _.

That 2.5 hours by car are only possible without traffic jams. And on which days (except Sunday nights) there NO traffic jams on the A5 or A67 highways? I been through this a lot of times and it was horrible. Can't count the hours I stood in traffic jams on the A5.

Of course the ICE route opened up a good alternative to FRA (not for MUC), but not everyone lives close to one of the few ICE stations. Speaking about the STR metro area and not just the city of Stuttgart itself, the train isn't much better suited than driving.

While many areas of Baden-Württemberg are well covered by airports from other regions/countries, the Stuttgart area (STR + 80km) is really lacking good international connections. The Northwest of Baden-Württemberg (you mentioned Mannheim for example) is covered by FRA, the Southwest and South by BSL and ZRH, but the remaining parts are not well served. The same goes for Berlin and the Dresden-Leipzig metro areas.

lugie

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:23 pm

CARST wrote:

That 2.5 hours by car are only possible without traffic jams. And on which days (except Sunday nights) there NO traffic jams on the A5 or A67 highways? I been through this a lot of times and it was horrible. Can't count the hours I stood in traffic jams on the A5.

Fair enough, those 2.5 hours are really hypothetical. And you didn't even mention A8/A81 and the Karlsruhe area :lol:

CARST wrote:
While many areas of Baden-Württemberg are well covered by airports from other regions/countries, the Stuttgart area (STR + 80km) is really lacking good international connections. The Northwest of Baden-Württemberg (you mentioned Mannheim for example) is covered by FRA, the Southwest and South by BSL and ZRH, but the remaining parts are not well served. The same goes for Berlin and the Dresden-Leipzig metro areas.

But isn't exactly that the reason STR won't see much more intercontinental traffic anytime soon? It would have to be all O&D at the STR end of the journey and the O&D would be constrained to the area around greater Stuttgart for the reasons you mentioned above.
As I said, there is no doubt about its economical importance but is that enough to sustain a profitable route?

>LH simply won't do it out of practical reasons - FRA and MUC are in an aviatic scope just down the road.(I mean, AA is arguing if they can run both CLT and PHL profitably and those are >10hrs apart by car)

>A Star Alliance partner like UA with a hub in EWR and moderate connections at STR through the JV couldn't make it work

So except maybe ME3 carriers, who else could?
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 77W 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN AC
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW YYZ SJO PTY

ro1960

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:32 pm

beau222 wrote:
Ocktoberfest

Ocktoberfest is a Munich event. Although it is now being "franchised". There is apparently one in Paris this month.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

FSDan

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:48 pm

United1 wrote:

I'd say DL seems to be holding its own in most of Germany, despite the lack of an alliance partner. DTW-FRA (332), DTW-MUC (764, summer seasonal), ATL-DUS (763, showing as 764 for next summer), ATL-FRA (764), ATL-STR (763), ATL-MUC (764), JFK-FRA (764), and soon the return of JFK-TXL (763). That's not a shabby presence.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

mjoelnir

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:07 pm

It is strange the view people have, here we have Delta with connections from several USA hubs (3) to several German airports (6), including not the biggest destinations and a question why Delta flys to Stuttgart. And that is Germany alone.

On another thread a poster did think that DFW was well connected to Europe with 4 and from 2017 6 connections in the whole of Europe. The poster was arguing that 4 - 6 connections to Europe would preclude anybody else from coming into the market.

I think we will see in the next years more connections between hubs and secondary airports, or secondary airports to secondary airports between North America and Europe, bypassing the current connections.

CARST

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:24 pm

lugie wrote:
And you didn't even mention A8/A81 and the Karlsruhe area :lol:

I found the A8 mostly okay, only the part between Dreieck Leonberg and the airport is the absolute horror if you come from the West or the North. Especially if you have to fly out of STR at the rush hour time. I usually departed on Friday evenings and returned either Sunday evening or Monday morning. You can imagine the traffic of the highways at these times...

lugie wrote:
But isn't exactly that the reason STR won't see much more intercontinental traffic anytime soon? It would have to be all O&D at the STR end of the journey and the O&D would be constrained to the area around greater Stuttgart for the reasons you mentioned above.
As I said, there is no doubt about its economical importance but is that enough to sustain a profitable route?

I don't know the answer, because I don't have access to such statistis as PDEW numbers (passengers daily each way), which also consider connections and not only non-stops. But I am assuming that the Stuttgart area, which is one of the wealthiest in Germany and has 5 million+ people living there, could make many more flights work just with pure O&D traffic. Mainly to the USA (NYC, MIA, LAX, ORD, SFO, the usual candidates where Germans flock to for their holidays) and perhaps to SIN, HKG or one of the other Asian mega hubs. Of course I could be wrong. LH has only the connecting flights to MUC and FRA, AB will stop flying there more or less, most flights are holiday routes to European destinations or Turkey and Northern Africa. But just from looking at the market I have the feeling other flights could work there.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:30 pm

I bet you this fight makes more then any of Deltas flights to FRA. They are carrying more unique one stop passengers and people probably pay a premium for it.

DeSpringbokke

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:53 pm

FSDan wrote:
United1 wrote:

I'd say DL seems to be holding its own in most of Germany, despite the lack of an alliance partner. DTW-FRA (332), DTW-MUC (764, summer seasonal), ATL-DUS (763, showing as 764 for next summer), ATL-FRA (764), ATL-STR (763), ATL-MUC (764), JFK-FRA (764), and soon the return of JFK-TXL (763). That's not a shabby presence.

Part of this is related to DL's buyout of Pan Am's European operation which was historically strong in Germany. DL inherited their FRA hub that was dismantled rather quickly. DL has been able to stay relevant in Germany because its been flying there longer than either US3. Unlike NRT, there is no need for connecting traffic.

FlyingSicilian

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:17 pm

As some alluded to above, Uncle Sam puts a fair amount of people on this flight also, as there are multiple large US Military commands in the area (not as much as K-town/Landstuhl) but big nonetheless, plus the German business and large cities on both ends and it is not a shock this flight works nicely. I've seen German military on the flight also heading to El Paso and the German base in New Mexico.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

ty97

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:29 pm

I figure that Florida connecting passengers also help the flight. (likely not the primary reason for the flight, but doesn't hurt to have the additional source of passengers). Germans (like a number of other European groups) like Florida quite a bit. Air Berlin even flies DUS-RSW non-stop as a result.

ATL is a prime connection point for anywhere in Florida.

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:37 pm

FSDan wrote:
United1 wrote:

MAH4546 wrote:

The M-B plant in Vance, Alabama, was announced in 1993 and supplier development work began almost immediately.

The OP really ought to map major automotive suppliers in Germany (Bosch, Continental, ZF, Schaeffler, Brose, Benteler, Mahle ...), their North American HQ locations in metro Detroit, and their German customers (M-B, VW, BMW) in the U.S. Southeast. Delta's German flights from DTW and ATL shouldn't be a surprise at all. The international supply chains are very highly developed and integrated. DTW-Nagoya? Toyota Tech Center near Ann Arbor, and all the Japanese supplier companies serving the Detroit 3. DTW-Sao Paolo? Fiat Chrysler, Ford, and GM all have substantial ops nearby.

https://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA89220617.PDF

AirchairPilot

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:15 pm

I have flown that route a bunch of times. Every time I fly the route, it usually consists of either German Student groups that came to visit America, Military (like myself) and people with ties to Automotive. Also, the flight is always FULL!

For the Military side, there are TWO COCOMs in the Stuttgart area being AFRICOM and EUCOM which is quite alot of people. Alot of those military are coming from Southern bases like Macdill and Eglin/ Hulbert Field. Also there people coming from the VW plant in TN. I had a wife of worker of that plant fly with me last time.

I love that flight being I dont have to go through Heathrow or hop on a small plane from Dusseldorf or Frankfurt.

continental004

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:02 pm

ipodguy7 wrote:

I see what you did there...

thekorean

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:38 pm

Surprised UA has not tried EWR-STR yet.

fun2fly

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:38 pm

Alsatian wrote:
NichCage wrote:
I have a question, why does Delta Air Lines fly between Atlanta and Stuttgart?

AMALH747430 wrote:
There is a big Mercedes-Benz plant in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Right and DL uses same flight numbers (116 and 117) for BHM - ATL - STR and STR - ATL - BHM sectors.

I've flown that BHM ATL leg many times and was amazed at the Germans on it...felt like I was transferring in Germany not headed out of the South. It's a noticeable presence.

Sightseer

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:47 pm

thekorean wrote:
Surprised UA has not tried EWR-STR yet.

They did launch it some time after the merger but canceled it about two years ago.

wenders825

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:59 pm

AirchairPilot wrote:
I have flown that route a bunch of times. Every time I fly the route, it usually consists of either German Student groups that came to visit America, Military (like myself) and people with ties to Automotive. Also, the flight is always FULL!

For the Military side, there are TWO COCOMs in the Stuttgart area being AFRICOM and EUCOM which is quite alot of people. Alot of those military are coming from Southern bases like Macdill and Eglin/ Hulbert Field. Also there people coming from the VW plant in TN. I had a wife of worker of that plant fly with me last time.

I love that flight being I dont have to go through Heathrow or hop on a small plane from Dusseldorf or Frankfurt.

this is mostly what the LH flight CLT-MUC is like too. the southeast has a lot of german business spread throughout the region, and the US military ties, tourists and school groups help fill the rest of the plane.

plus like we said, ATL and CLT are good hopping off points for florida. not so much for that LH flight I just mentioned, but AA's CLT-FRA flight is a great example of that too. DL have ATL-FRA/STR/DUS/MUC and AA has CLT-FRA, all of which do very well on a year round basis.
Last edited by wenders825 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

9w748capt

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:01 pm

continental004 wrote:
ipodguy7 wrote:

Hahaha - it was smooth wasn't it? So effortless!

I love these threads btw. Probably 5-10 minutes of research would've answered the question. But hey then it wouldn't be a.net would it?

papatango

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:02 pm

Maybe just maybe because they make money on this route!!!!!

wenders825

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:12 pm

9w748capt wrote:
continental004 wrote:
ipodguy7 wrote:

Hahaha - it was smooth wasn't it? So effortless!

I love these threads btw. Probably 5-10 minutes of research would've answered the question. But hey then it wouldn't be a.net would it?

these are some of the better and more informative threads on here, really. I always learn something new

Atlwarrior

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:23 am

Germany is the 2nd largest international country with Georgia in trade. Also the Savannah port is growing tremendous. Atlanta area also have Porsche and Mercedes Benz USA headquarters.

RollerRB211

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:30 am

ATL-STR is about 18% local so DL flies it for the connections

tjerome

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:50 am

DL must make some decent money on that route with cargo as well since Mercedes-Benz and Porsche have been brought up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos