Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YVRLTN

Re: YVR Thread

Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:04 am

Personally I am not keen on TK or EK coming to YVR. We have already seen a reduction in capacity from BA (7x 380 vs 12x 744 thought that is due to increased capacity from AC and entry of WS) and I fully believe it will further reduce their service and we would probably loose the AF service, LH to MUC and a capacity cut on FRA too. As someone who actually wants to fly to Europe, I dont want to lose that.
iFlyDTW wrote:
A route that I think needs evaluation is YVR-DTW
I think its quite possible via AC, though it is pretty close to YYZ. Cant see the likes of GEG though.
VCEflyboy wrote:
Anyone been to YVR 2037 event today? Anything exciting?
Not really, nothing I didnt know already or easily gleaned from their website. Just public consultation, basic 101 stuff for the public to understand what their future plans and possible proposals may be on various infrastructure expansion and upgrades and all sorts of numbers on projected traffic volumes etc. They also wanted to get public feedback on stuff like Skytrain capacity, road access, noise & environmental concerns, current terminal/gate connectivity and selection of flights, quality of facilities and amenities currently and things that would be on peoples wish list. That being said I had a couple of interesting conversations on a couple of areas of personal interest to me.
qblue wrote:
Just saw Sultan of Brunei's new 747-8 on the west pad. Is he in town or wives just in for shipping.
Delivery flight after outfitting in Waco for years since official handover. All but one of the 748 BBJ's IIRC have passed through YVR on delivery for paperwork purposes.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

ankaraflyjet

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:42 am

You may want to know that AC has just released information that they are upgrading YYZ IST from 788 to 789 from January 2017. You were expecting route suspension right???

Thenoflyzone wrote:
NichCage wrote:

Even though Turkish Airlines is cutting a lot of flights, long haul growth is now there focus. I am sure in the future Turkish Airlines will recover at some point, but they have annouced intentions to fly to YVR. Hopefully they get the permission this time to fly IST-YVR.

TK are maxed out on their frequency allocation to Canada. Right now, they are 6x weekly to YYZ and 3x weekly to YUL and cannot increase. The bilateral will need to be tweaked in order to add new flights.

I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Also, i'm amazed AC is still flying to IST. I wouldn't be surprised if they call it quits on the route in the coming months.

NichCage

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:43 pm

ankaraflyjet wrote:
You may want to know that AC has just released information that they are upgrading YYZ IST from 788 to 789 from January 2017. You were expecting route suspension right???

Thenoflyzone wrote:
NichCage wrote:

Even though Turkish Airlines is cutting a lot of flights, long haul growth is now there focus. I am sure in the future Turkish Airlines will recover at some point, but they have annouced intentions to fly to YVR. Hopefully they get the permission this time to fly IST-YVR.

TK are maxed out on their frequency allocation to Canada. Right now, they are 6x weekly to YYZ and 3x weekly to YUL and cannot increase. The bilateral will need to be tweaked in order to add new flights.

I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Also, i'm amazed AC is still flying to IST. I wouldn't be surprised if they call it quits on the route in the coming months.

What a nice upgrade from the 787-8 to the 787-9. I was not expecting it. How big is the market between Toronto and Istanbul? Do a few or large number of passengers connect at IST from YYZ on Turkish Airlines?

Thenoflyzone

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:33 pm

ankaraflyjet wrote:

It's from February, which is when YUL-PVG starts with a B788. They need that frame somewhere else. I can assure you it's not because IST is doing particularly well for AC.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Viscount724

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:19 pm

keitherson wrote:
Viscount724 wrote:
keitherson wrote:
Vancouver (YVR) – Zhengzhou (CGO)
Sichuan 8502

What the hell is Zhengzhou?? Why does this route exist?

Zhengzhou is the capital of Henan province and has a metro area population of almost 10 million, much larger than any city in Canada..

So does Ahmedabad but that doesn't make these places any more viable for an air link. Nor does it make these places even remotely close to a world city or recognition outside their own country.

Geneva has less than 200,000 people. By your airliners.net logic, its only air service should be to the train station.

Geneva's population is over 500,000 and the catchment area is close to 1 million. You're looking only at the "city" of Geneva which makes no sense. You have to look at the entire canton (state/province) of Geneva which is essentially just one city made up of many smaller municipalities, one of which is what you are referring to. Only considering the city of Geneva and not the entire metro area is like looking at the Vancouver market with a metro area population of around 2.3 million and only considering the city of Vancouver (around 600,000), or looking at New York City and only considering the population of Manhattan.

CPA62
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:24 pm

YVR recognized as no 1 airport in the world by CAPA Centre for Aviation

see link below

http://www.yvr.ca/en/media/news-release ... -the-world

Leslieville

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:00 pm

YVR posted its September 2016 statistics and I have pulled out the following breakdown of the September & Year to Date numbers. Considering how much of a monster 2015 was, posting double-digit year-over-year growth in pretty much every international category is impressive.

Total Passengers (Domestic, Transborder, and International) | September 2016 – 1,957,451 [up 12.2% from September 2015]
Total Passengers (Domestic, Transborder, and International) | Year to Date 2016 – 17,040,647 [up 9.2% from Year to Date 2015]

Domestic | September 2016 – 968,997 [up 8.9% from September 2015]
Domestic | Year to Date 2016 – 8,448,308 [up 7.5% from Year to Date 2015]

Total International (incl. Transborder) | September 2016 – 925,912 [up 16% from September 2015]
Total International (incl. Transborder) | Year to Date 2016 – 8,592,339 [up 10.8% from Year to Date 2015]

Transborder | September 2016 – 459,163 [up 13.2% from September 2015]
Transborder | Year to Date 2016 – 4,212,953 [up 6% from Year to Date 2015]

International – Asia Pacific | September 2016 – 311,307 [up 17.4% from September 2015]
International – Asia Pacific | Year to Date 2016 – 2,666,699 [up 14.5% from Year to Date 2015]

International – Europe | September 2016 – 147,931 [up 23.9% from September 2015]
International – Europe | Year to Date 2016 – 1,058,083 [up 18.2% from Year to Date 2015]

[edit: I skipped Miscellaneous International, so the numbers of Transborder, Asia, and Europe do not add up to the Total International.]

Source: http://www.yvr.ca/en/about-yvr/facts-and-stats

steveinbc

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:07 pm

I heard from a senior flight attendant that YVR-MEL was on the cards for 2017 with a 789
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

CPA62
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 pm

It would be nice to see YVR-MEL, it is a route I travel on a regular basis. Why has Qantas avoided the YVR market year round? I am assuming it will be Air Canada YVR-MEL?
I would think Air Canada operating BNE, SYD and potentially MEL would be cutting into Qantas from LAX and SFO?

robsaw

Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:39 am

AC has stated back in June that they want to add YVR-MEL but one hold-up was waiting for additional aircraft over and above requirements for other priority routes.

RL777

Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:07 am

CPA62 wrote:
It would be nice to see YVR-MEL, it is a route I travel on a regular basis. Why has Qantas avoided the YVR market year round? I am assuming it will be Air Canada YVR-MEL?
I would think Air Canada operating BNE, SYD and potentially MEL would be cutting into Qantas from LAX and SFO?

No sufficient aircraft to operate the route year round efficiently. The 744s are too big for the shoulder seasons hence the seasonal service. QF has stated that they would like to return YVR to annual service in the future, likely with a 789 once the start entering the fleet. Expected routing will either be ex SYD or MEL.

BoeingGuy

Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:47 am

keitherson wrote:
VCEflyboy wrote:
Another new route that came up this year was YVR FCO by air transit albeit only one-weekly and seasonal but apparently is coming back next summer.
Unfortunately TK has seen better days and is in the middle of a cutting spree so I doubt they will fly to YVR any time soon.
Too bad it's not all good news. Alaska has cut flights from YVR and I believe it only operates one daily flight at the moment, which is quite shocking for us in YVR as Alaska has probably the most popular FF program in town after AC and I assume WestJet.

Yup. And the idea of running a Boeing 737 for a short YVR-SEA sector makes my head spin.

If the merger goes through I hope they will expand YVR-SFO and bring back YVR-LAX, whether Virgin-operated or not.

AS has run a 737 on BLI-SEA. I did YVR-SEA on an AS MD-80 years ago, connecting from CX. It was like a 24 minute flight. Up and down; max altitude of 17,000 feet. Very scenic in clear weather.

CPA62
Topic Author

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Latest update from YVR, Seem International traffic still growing at plus 14 % excluding the USA. Domestic and Transborder seems to be marginal growth. YVR announced 2 new airlines, Beijing Capital and Hong Kong Airways

Richmond, B.C. (December 1, 2016): Vancouver International Airport (YVR) celebrates a record-breaking year in passenger growth, welcoming over 18.8 million passengers between January and October—representing a year-over-year growth rate of 9.5 per cent, putting YVR on track to reach 22 million passengers in 2016. This increase is largely recognized in Air Canada’s expansion of their transpacific hub out of YVR, representing approximately 50 per cent of passengers at YVR and serving over 55 destinations worldwide.

“Air Canada has been an incredible partner in increasing our passenger growth by continuously delivering new and exciting destinations for our customers,” said YVR’s President & CEO Craig Richmond. “I’d like to thank Air Canada for their commitment to growing their transpacific hub out of YVR and in turn supporting our vision to be a sustainable gateway hub between Asia and the Americas. We couldn’t do this without their support.”

Between January and October 2016, Air Canada reached a record high for capacity with 10.9 million seats – an increase of 12.0% over the same period in 2015. The airline’s international sector, which includes the Asia Pacific, Europe and Latin America, led the growth with a 22.6% increase.

In 2016, YVR introduced a new five-year airline rates and charges program, ConnectYVR, that provides a highly competitive rate structure and includes rates lower than any other major airport in Canada and competing US airports. This program, alongside YVR’s world-class facility and convenient geographical location has aided the growth of Air Canada’s successful transpacific hub.

Since 2015, Air Canada introduced eight new services to YVR: Osaka, Cancun, San Jose, San Diego, Chicago, Dublin, Brisbane and Delhi. This growth continues in 2017 with five new destinations scheduled to launch, including Taipei, Nagoya, Frankfurt, London Gatwick and Dallas.

VCEflyboy

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:42 pm

It's so annoying that they don't clearly state which routes are mainline and which are rouge. Anyways FRA is mainline with 788 and LGW is rouge 767.

RL777

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:09 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
It's so annoying that they don't clearly state which routes are mainline and which are rouge. Anyways FRA is mainline with 788 and LGW is rouge 767.

Even more annoying is that you could pay the AC fare and end up on a Rouge aircraft.

Whiteguy

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:15 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:

The announcement from AC about these routes clearly states FRA is mainline and LGW is Rouge....

Whiteguy

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:16 pm

[*]
RL777 wrote:
VCEflyboy wrote:

Even more annoying is that you could pay the AC fare and end up on a Rouge aircraft.

When booking the flights it's clear which you are traveling on and paying for.....

RL777

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:27 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
[*]
RL777 wrote:
VCEflyboy wrote:

When booking the flights it's clear which you are traveling on and paying for.....

Sorry should've clarified I was more directing it towards aircraft subs.

Whiteguy

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:36 pm

RL777 wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
[*]
RL777 wrote:

Which rarely happen, I think people would be more upset by not getting to their destination...

tacobell101

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:17 pm

So Hong Kong Airlines is now confirmed to start YVR. Now who will be the next asian carrier to start service to YVR

VCEflyboy

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:25 pm

"Clearly stated"???

From AC PR:

Air Canada to launch Vancouver-Frankfurt and Vancouver-London Gatwick flights for Summer 2017
Strategic increase of international flights at YVR hub offers additional choice to Europe and beyond

VANCOUVER, Nov. 9, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced it is further boosting international flights at its Vancouver hub next summer with daily seasonal flights from YVR to Frankfurt, and three times weekly seasonal flights from YVR to London Gatwick. Flights begin June 1, 2017 and June 8, 2017 respectively, and tickets are now available for purchase.

"Air Canada continues to strategically increase its European flights at YVR with seasonal daily flights to Frankfurt next summer and three times weekly flights to London Gatwick," said Benjamin Smith, Air Canada President, Passenger Airlines. "The addition of our flights to Frankfurt, one of Europe's most important hubs, offers customers a wide array of convenient choices and the ease of one-stop connections with our Star Alliance partner Lufthansa when travelling to southern, central and eastern Europe as well as Africa, the Middle East and beyond.

"We will be the only airline flying non-stop between YVR and the two largest airports in the London metropolitan region during the peak summer travel period with the addition of London Gatwick. By next summer, Air Canada will serve five European destinations non-stop from YVR including two significant hubs, Frankfurt and London Heathrow, London Gatwick, Dublin, and on a code-share basis with joint venture partner Lufthansa Munich, strengthening YVR as an important hub that connects our B.C., Western Canada and U.S. routes to our expanding international network," concluded Mr. Smith.

"What an amazing year it has been for Air Canada and YVR," said Craig Richmond, President & CEO of Vancouver Airport Authority. "I want to thank Air Canada for continuing to grow its international hub out of YVR and delivering a steady stream of excellent new services. Air Canada's new non-stop services to Frankfurt and Gatwick will further expand this award-winning airline's reach into key European markets and will provide incredible benefits for our passengers, partners and communities."

"Air Canada's new flights from YVR to Frankfurt and London Gatwick are great news for B.C.'s diverse tourism sector. Already this year we've seen year over year European visitors increase by nearly 18 per cent. These new flights will bring even more visitors while creating jobs and spin-off benefits in our hotels, tourism attractions and businesses," said the Honourable Shirley Bond, Minister of Jobs, Tourism & Skills Training in BC.

Vancouver-Frankfurt flights

Air Canada's Vancouver-Frankfurt flights will be operated with Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners, featuring a choice of three cabins configured with 20 International Business Class individual lie-flat suites, 21 Premium Economy seats and 210 Economy Class seats. Air Canada's Dreamliners also feature an enhanced seatback In-Flight Entertainment system which is available at every seat throughout the aircraft. All Air Canada flights provide for Aeroplan accumulation and redemption and, for eligible customers, priority check-in, Maple Leaf Lounge access in Vancouver and in Frankfurt, priority boarding and other benefits. Air Canada's Frankfurt flights complement daily flights operated from Vancouver by Star Alliance partner Lufthansa.

Flight
From
To
Depart
Arrive
AC840
Vancouver (YVR)
Frankfurt (FRA)
12:25
07:05 (+1 day)
AC841
Frankfurt (FRA)
Vancouver (YVR)
10:00
10:55

Next summer, Air Canada will operate to Frankfurt from five points across Canada: Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

Vancouver-London Gatwick flights

Air Canada's Vancouver-London Gatwick service will be operated by ...............................aaaaaaaaand here it comes..........Air Canada Rouge with Boeing 767-300 ER aircraft featuring premium and economy cabins. Flights are timed to optimize connectivity to and from flights within BC and the Pacific North West at Air Canada's Vancouver hub. All flights provide for Aeroplan accumulation and redemption and, for eligible customers, priority check-in, Maple Leaf Lounge access in Vancouver, priority boarding and other benefits.

Flight
From
To
Depart
Arrive
AC1934
Vancouver (YVR)
London Gatwick (LGW)
16:45
Tue, Thur, Sat.
10:25 (+1 day)
AC1935
London Gatwick (LGW)
Vancouver (YVR)
12:00
Tue, Thur, Sat.
14:10

Note: AC Rouge IATA code is RV which is conveniently omitted!

robsaw

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:19 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
"Clearly stated"???

Air Canada's Vancouver-London Gatwick service will be operated by ...............................aaaaaaaaand here it comes..........Air Canada Rouge with Boeing 767-300 ER aircraft featuring premium and economy cabins. Flights are timed to optimize connectivity to and from flights within BC and the Pacific North West at Air Canada's Vancouver hub. All flights provide for Aeroplan accumulation and redemption and, for eligible customers, priority check-in, Maple Leaf Lounge access in Vancouver, priority boarding and other benefits.

AC1934
AC1935

That's because AFAIK you can't actually buy an RV coded flight.

Whiteguy

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:37 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
"Clearly stated"???

From AC PR:

Air Canada to launch Vancouver-Frankfurt and Vancouver-London Gatwick flights for Summer 2017
Strategic increase of international flights at YVR hub offers additional choice to Europe and beyond

VANCOUVER, Nov. 9, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced it is further boosting international flights at its Vancouver hub next summer with daily seasonal flights from YVR to Frankfurt, and three times weekly seasonal flights from YVR to London Gatwick. Flights begin June 1, 2017 and June 8, 2017 respectively, and tickets are now available for purchase.

"Air Canada continues to strategically increase its European flights at YVR with seasonal daily flights to Frankfurt next summer and three times weekly flights to London Gatwick," said Benjamin Smith, Air Canada President, Passenger Airlines. "The addition of our flights to Frankfurt, one of Europe's most important hubs, offers customers a wide array of convenient choices and the ease of one-stop connections with our Star Alliance partner Lufthansa when travelling to southern, central and eastern Europe as well as Africa, the Middle East and beyond.

"We will be the only airline flying non-stop between YVR and the two largest airports in the London metropolitan region during the peak summer travel period with the addition of London Gatwick. By next summer, Air Canada will serve five European destinations non-stop from YVR including two significant hubs, Frankfurt and London Heathrow, London Gatwick, Dublin, and on a code-share basis with joint venture partner Lufthansa Munich, strengthening YVR as an important hub that connects our B.C., Western Canada and U.S. routes to our expanding international network," concluded Mr. Smith.

"What an amazing year it has been for Air Canada and YVR," said Craig Richmond, President & CEO of Vancouver Airport Authority. "I want to thank Air Canada for continuing to grow its international hub out of YVR and delivering a steady stream of excellent new services. Air Canada's new non-stop services to Frankfurt and Gatwick will further expand this award-winning airline's reach into key European markets and will provide incredible benefits for our passengers, partners and communities."

"Air Canada's new flights from YVR to Frankfurt and London Gatwick are great news for B.C.'s diverse tourism sector. Already this year we've seen year over year European visitors increase by nearly 18 per cent. These new flights will bring even more visitors while creating jobs and spin-off benefits in our hotels, tourism attractions and businesses," said the Honourable Shirley Bond, Minister of Jobs, Tourism & Skills Training in BC.

Vancouver-Frankfurt flights

Air Canada's Vancouver-Frankfurt flights will be operated with Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners, featuring a choice of three cabins configured with 20 International Business Class individual lie-flat suites, 21 Premium Economy seats and 210 Economy Class seats. Air Canada's Dreamliners also feature an enhanced seatback In-Flight Entertainment system which is available at every seat throughout the aircraft. All Air Canada flights provide for Aeroplan accumulation and redemption and, for eligible customers, priority check-in, Maple Leaf Lounge access in Vancouver and in Frankfurt, priority boarding and other benefits. Air Canada's Frankfurt flights complement daily flights operated from Vancouver by Star Alliance partner Lufthansa.

Flight
From
To
Depart
Arrive
AC840
Vancouver (YVR)
Frankfurt (FRA)
12:25
07:05 (+1 day)
AC841
Frankfurt (FRA)
Vancouver (YVR)
10:00
10:55

Next summer, Air Canada will operate to Frankfurt from five points across Canada: Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

Vancouver-London Gatwick flights

Flight
From
To
Depart
Arrive
AC1934
Vancouver (YVR)
London Gatwick (LGW)
16:45
Tue, Thur, Sat.
10:25 (+1 day)
AC1935
London Gatwick (LGW)
Vancouver (YVR)
12:00
Tue, Thur, Sat.
14:10

Not sure what you are getting at or expect? Pax don't book flights based on the IATA code and most wouldn't have a clue what it means.....

Pretty clear "Air Canada Rouge"....

NichCage

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:45 pm

On the topic of Air Canada Rouge, how is it like to fly on them compared to mainline Air Canada International flights?

Leslieville

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:55 pm

October 2016 YVR numbers

Total Passengers (Domestic, Transborder, and International) | October 2016 – 1,780,096 [up 11.5% from October 2015]
Total Passengers (Domestic, Transborder, and International) | Year to Date 2016 – 18,838,334 [up 9.5% from Year to Date 2015]

Domestic | October 2016 – 924,594 [up 6.6% from October 2015]
Domestic | Year to Date 2016 – 9,387,269 [up 7.0% from Year to Date 2015]

Total International (incl. Transborder) | October 2016 – 846,777 [up 16.1% from October 2015]
Total International (incl. Transborder) | Year to Date 2016 – 9,451,065 [up 11.4% from Year to Date 2015]

Transborder | October 2016 – 410,071 [up 12.4% from October 2015]
Transborder | Year to Date 2016 – 4,623,755 [up 6.5% from Year to Date 2015]

International – Asia Pacific | October 2016 – 288,954 [up 18.3% from October 2015]
International – Asia Pacific | Year to Date 2016 – 2,955,653 [up 14.9% from Year to Date 2015]

International – Europe | October 2016 – 117,693 [up 18.1% from October 2015]
International – Europe | Year to Date 2016 – 1,423,186 [up 17.1% from Year to Date 2015]

[edit: I skipped Miscellaneous International, so the numbers of Transborder, Asia, and Europe do not add up to the Total International.]

CPA62
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Article posted in Bussiness in Vancouver indicated YVR international traffic had a growth rate of 15% in 2016 compared to 2015. Curious how this stacks up against other North Amercican airports? same article indicated Vancouver will hit 22.3 million passengers this year. Over all growth was + 9% passenger growth.

on another topic, Vancouver has been the first N.A. destination for several Asian carriers. This surprises me, with an estimated population of 3.1 million I would expect U.S. airport to be the N.A. entry.
Carriers which YVR was first N.A. Destination:
Cathay PAcific
Xiamen Airlines?
Sichuan Airlines
and starting June, Hong Kong Airways.

Not sure if Beijing Captal Airlines is included in this group?

YVR rumours:
only Hainan Airlines from Tainjin, have not heard anything else

Topguncanada

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Volaris and Interjet are rumoured as well...

dc10lover

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:53 pm

I still admire that YVR has way better international service than SEA.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Leslieville

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:54 pm

CPA62 wrote:
Article posted in Bussiness in Vancouver indicated YVR international traffic had a growth rate of 15% in 2016 compared to 2015. Curious how this stacks up against other North Amercican airports? same article indicated Vancouver will hit 22.3 million passengers this year. Over all growth was + 9% passenger growth.

on another topic, Vancouver has been the first N.A. destination for several Asian carriers. This surprises me, with an estimated population of 3.1 million I would expect U.S. airport to be the N.A. entry.
Carriers which YVR was first N.A. Destination:
Cathay PAcific
Xiamen Airlines?
Sichuan Airlines
and starting June, Hong Kong Airways.

Not sure if Beijing Captal Airlines is included in this group?

YVR rumours:
only Hainan Airlines from Tainjin, have not heard anything else

Metro Vancouver has significant foreign-born and immigrant populations, primarily Chinese, but with significant Japanese, Korean, Filipino, and Malaysian communities, too, and that's driven the Asia-Pacific route connectivity. Vancouver is a market that supports VFR, leisure, and business travel segments, and its geopolitical location as Canada's westernmost major city has made it a hub for both Air Canada and WestJet and a logical way point of connectivity between domestic networks and Asia-Pacific route connectivity.

SMillar

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:31 am

There are rumours that Vietnam and IranAir are looking into a route to YVR. Both to start either late this year or late next.

longhauler

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:45 pm

RL777 wrote:

It is Air Canada operational policy that a "mainline" flight will not be subbed with a Rouge aircraft. It is a lot more cumbersome than you would imagine, and it has nothing to do with seat pitch!

There has been occasions in the past where a mainline aircraft has subbed for a Rouge flight, but that is very very rare and only as a last resort.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

VCEflyboy

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Also noteworthy BLI is down 8% from 2015 to 2016, which means YVR is doing things right.
I wouldn't hold my breath for IranAir although I do hope we can see VN this year. It would be a great addition and add an option to overly congested HKG to SE Asia.

NichCage

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:19 pm

SMillar wrote:
There are rumours that Vietnam and IranAir are looking into a route to YVR. Both to start either late this year or late next.

Vietnam Airlines could be a possibility, as Vancouver probably has some sort of Vietnamese population. Does Vancouver and the surrounding area have a large Iranian population?

CPA62
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:43 pm

"Vietnam Airlines could be a possibility, as Vancouver probably has some sort of Vietnamese population. Does Vancouver and the surrounding area have a large Iranian population?"[/quote]

There is a sizable Vietnamese population in Vancouver, not as large as Montreal or Toronto. There is also small Iranian diaspora in Vancouver of approx 40,000, It is still growing but would not think it would be enough to warrant air service?

SMillar

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:49 am

NichCage wrote:
SMillar wrote:

Vietnam Airlines could be a possibility, as Vancouver probably has some sort of Vietnamese population. Does Vancouver and the surrounding area have a large Iranian population?

There is a huge Iranian population in Vancouver as well as Vietnamese. We have the largest Iranian population in Canada and tied for the largest Vietnamese. There is a huge demand for both to come here. I think VN would bring a 789 and IR an eventual A330 with a stop or A350. Execs from both airlines have been to YVR in the past year to discuss routes to YVR and Canada.

b6sea

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:34 am

VCEflyboy wrote:
Also noteworthy BLI is down 8% from 2015 to 2016, which means YVR is doing things right.

I think this has more to do with the exchange rate, which really became extremely unfavorable in 2016. The number of Canadians coming down to Seattle for shopping also dropped pretty noticeably. On the same note, the number of Americans heading north to Whistler and Kelowna and Victoria has increased quite a bit over the past year or two. I'm not sure there's much more to the BLI numbers than the effect of the exchange rate, that drop makes a lot of sense in that context.

SMillar

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:50 am

Some new news from YVR sources say SU, TK and QR are interested in flying to YVR pending government approval.

Zkpilot

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Has anyone heard anything about WS serving YKA from YVR?
Currently only AC operate this route with a limited schedule.
I had emailed WS and got a boiler plate it's a future possibility response.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

Jayce

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:09 am

Zkpilot wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about WS serving YKA from YVR?
Currently only AC operate this route with a limited schedule.
I had emailed WS and got a boiler plate it's a future possibility response.

Encore used to operate this when they first started operations, but their one daily rotation was no match for the multitude of daily AC flights. I've heard it's a route they'd like to start up again.

Other rumoured encore routes from YVR include Prince Rupert, Nanaimo, Comox, Penticton, Cranbrook, Seattle and Portland.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

NichCage

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:39 am

Why is there even a market between YVR and SEA? YVR and SEA are like less than an hour less in air. Does the market serve connecting passengers at both airports or something?

robsaw

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:56 am

NichCage wrote:
Why is there even a market between YVR and SEA? YVR and SEA are like less than an hour less in air. Does the market serve connecting passengers at both airports or something?

I'd guess connections, primarily in SEA, which is certainly the case for Alaska Airlines.

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:11 am

Enplaned & Deplaned passengers for 2016:

22,288,552 +9,7% = +1,972,574

In other words, they have more than doubled their 2015 growth.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:50 pm

ankaraflyjet wrote:

Thenoflyzone wrote:
NichCage wrote:

You were saying !

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-08feb17/

Route suspension is the next step.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

ankaraflyjet

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:53 am

YYZ and YUL are in top five best revenue maker for entire TK global network so nothing wrong with demand for direct service between Turkey and Canada.

IST YVR will eventually happen, the meetings in December saw Canadian CAA offer three weekly routing for TK but TK insisted at least five weeklyand the deal was shelved. I am sure it will be on the table soon again.

AC YYZ IST issue is different, the IST YYZ sector is commercially viable but YYZ IST did not work for a while, Turkish sales of the flight were up and above the Canadian sales by three times over. The political situation most likely impacted Canadian demand and I am sure the route will be reinstated later in the year...

Thenoflyzone wrote:
ankaraflyjet wrote:

Thenoflyzone wrote:

You were saying !

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-08feb17/

Route suspension is the next step.

Leslieville

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Skytrax has named YVR the best airport in North America for the 8th year in a row.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/media/news-release ... kytrax-win

SQ22

Re: YVR thread - 2016-2017

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1385167

Thread will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos