Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PanzerPowner
Topic Author

Will Davao Intl improve their Intl "Terminal"

Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:55 pm

So i was wondering, With the Addition of Saudia and Xiamen Airlines coming to the airport, and not just the few flights to Singapore will they improve the International Wing of the Terminal? It just has one shop and it's selections are limited but it's ok for just the few flights to Singapore, but with flights with Saudia and Xiamen might just wonder for a bit will that one store stay up to the Duty? It has low stocks for a afternoon flight and well...

SEPilot

Re: Will Davao Intl improve their Intl "Terminal"

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:23 pm

It would be great if more Philippine cities would get more international service. It is rather silly (and very inconvenient) for a country the size of the Philippines that virtually all international traffic has to go through Manila. I am hoping that the prosperity that seems to be only growing in Manila will spread out to the rest of the country, and with it will come more international travel, and will lead to more cities getting real international connections. I would love it if Davao were one of them; my wife's family is in Dipolog, and while getting from Davao to Dipolog is possible by land it is not easy. But I am hoping that will improve as well.

YZF101

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:51 pm

Considering the goat show MNL was, and is, it would be surprising that Davao would be kept out of things for long. At least you'd have Cebu in the central part of the country, and with Davao having some service, would take a lot of volume strain (and passenger's strain) out of Manila. It would even be a good spot for lower volume service to HKG, SIN, BKK? I'd opt myself to fly to Cebu then onwards to Butuan from North America if I could swing the connections - MNL is just a non-starter anymore.

PanzerPowner
Topic Author

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:54 pm

I'm talking about how will they improve the area before more these two new carriers start operations?

Devilfish

Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:38 pm

SEPilot wrote:
It would be great if more Philippine cities would get more international service. It is rather silly (and very inconvenient) for a country the size of the Philippines that virtually all international traffic has to go through Manila. I am hoping that the prosperity that seems to be only growing in Manila will spread out to the rest of the country, and with it will come more international travel, and will lead to more cities getting real international connections. I would love it if Davao were one of them;

For a bit of balance and perspective, the Philippines is a lightweight in the commercial aviation world as compared to some of its neighbors. Thus, it is rather misplaced to expect every far-flung airport to receive international service when even CRK struggles to establish itself as an alternate gateway.

YZF101 wrote:
Considering the goat show MNL was, and is, it would be surprising that Davao would be kept out of things for long. At least you'd have Cebu in the central part of the country, and with Davao having some service, would take a lot of volume strain (and passenger's strain) out of Manila.

Historically, Davao has been the country's backdoor...and if ACAM attained some measure of success, DVO should see a significant increase in international arrivals from the region. That the new dispensation hails from there could help.

PanzerPowner wrote:
I'm talking about how will they improve the area before more these two new carriers start operations?

Well, there is this...but not solely for seasonal travels.....

http://www.philstar.com/business/2016/1 ... l-airports

Quote:
"The regional airports project was rolled out by the previous administration but unable to go through bidding.

Lim said the project would still have two bundles with the first one composed of the Iloilo Airport and Bacolod-Silay Airport, while the second one covers the Davao Airport, New Bohol (Panglao) Airport and the Laguindingan Airport.

Under the project, the winning private firm for each bundle would handle the operations and maintenance of the airports as well undertake the expansion of the facilities."

SEPilot

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:53 pm

Devilfish wrote:
SEPilot wrote:
It would be great if more Philippine cities would get more international service. It is rather silly (and very inconvenient) for a country the size of the Philippines that virtually all international traffic has to go through Manila. I am hoping that the prosperity that seems to be only growing in Manila will spread out to the rest of the country, and with it will come more international travel, and will lead to more cities getting real international connections. I would love it if Davao were one of them;

For a bit of balance and perspective, the Philippines is a lightweight in the commercial aviation world as compared to some of its neighbors. Thus, it is rather misplaced to expect every far-flung airport to receive international service when even CRK struggles to establish itself as an alternate gateway.

[/i]

Yes, I know that the Philippines is rather backward compared to the West in many ways. However, it is one of the fastest growing countries in the world economically, and I think it has a lot of potential. As I said, right now almost all the growth is happening in and around Manila, but I am hoping it will spread to the provinces. When that happens I do expect there will be more demand for international travel in the rest of the country, and other gateways will develop. I agree that with the present economic situation in the provinces that it is unlikely.

Devilfish

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:41 pm

SEPilot wrote:
When that happens I do expect there will be more demand for international travel in the rest of the country, and other gateways will develop.

As I pointed out in my reply to YZF101 above, Davao is the country's natural southern entry point and could see further development once travel demand in the region picks up. In fact, PR is eyeing DVO as its next hub.....

http://www.philstar.com/business/2016/0 ... -hub-davao

Quote:
"MANILA, Philippines – The national carrier is planning to make Davao as one of its hubs.

'Davao would be another airport we would consider to be a hub,' Philippine Airlines (PAL) president and chief operating officer Jaime Bautista said.

Bautista said PAL sees potential in operating more flights to and from Davao as it is one of the profitable destinations for the carrier.

With the recent ratification of the Asean open skies agreement, PAL sees opportunities to fly to more destinations and Davao as a hub can play a role in the expansion.

Bautista said the Open Skies agreement allows PAL to start flights from Davao to destinations such as Singapore, Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, as well as Manado and Bali in Indonesia.

He said PAL could also mount flights from Davao to other points such as Australia and even Palau."

Another trivia... DVO is even closer than both MNL and CEB to HNL at less than 4,500nm Great Circle distance.....

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=hnl-ceb%2F ... =wls&DU=nm