Page 1 of 1

First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:52 am
by eksath
The first Spirit Airlines A320NK arrived yesterday afternoon (Sunday, October 08th 2016) at FLL. Pictures of the arrival are below at the link. Enjoy!

Click here for the gallery of pictures of the first Spirit A320NEO at FLL

Image

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:57 am
by LAX772LR
Very nice. The proportion of those engines looks so much better-- like a mini A350 :-P

How many airlines have them now?
How many at the launch customer (Lufty)?

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:50 pm
by KarelXWB
Spirit will get another 3 A320neo aircraft this year.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:01 pm
by VS11
eksath wrote:
The first Spirit Airlines A320NK arrived yesterday afternoon (Sunday, October 08th 2016) at FLL. Pictures of the arrival are below at the link. Enjoy!

Click here for the gallery of pictures of the first Spirit A320NEO at FLL


Fantastic pictures of a beautiful bird! "Bare Fare" is great marketing for Spirit!

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:05 pm
by TheF15Ace
LAX772LR wrote:

How many at the launch customer (Lufty)?


I believe LH currently has 4 NEOs.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 pm
by ModernAviator
It looks Great! We were discussing in my operations class how the NEO and the MAX are going to have 10-15% better flue economy , is this true? Also P&W or GE?

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:57 pm
by qcpilotxf
These photos make this one good looking bird!

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:48 pm
by jeffh747
Anyone want to guess what the first few routes will be? Will NK use these for expansion or just replacing older A32S?

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:53 pm
by MrHMSH
Excellent photos, it must be said! I wonder how long before an A320neo delivery is greeted with 'ugh, ANOTHER one!' ;)

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:44 am
by qcpilotxf
jeffh747 wrote:
Anyone want to guess what the first few routes will be? Will NK use these for expansion or just replacing older A32S?


It should be all expansion. There will be a point in a few years where 321s will begin replacing 319s, but I believe the 321neos will be replacing those 1:1

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:22 am
by zulhisham7888
nice photo!
i just love those big engines!

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:38 am
by matt320
jeffh747 wrote:
Anyone want to guess what the first few routes will be? Will NK use these for expansion or just replacing older A32S?


I heard they will be LAX and DTW

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:09 am
by gatibosgru
What a stunner! The A320NEO might be the best looking narrow body out there!

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:19 am
by CanadaFair
Livery is best after the former Easyjet scheme. for an LCC.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:36 am
by raddek
Well the NK fleet will be expanding quite a bit by 2021. NK loves the 320, and 321. The 319's were going to be fazed out quicker under ex-CEO Baldanza. Now the new CEO Fanarro likes them. There has been rumors floating around that NK is interested in the CS -series aircraft for future mid size markets.
If the CS order does come, then those would likely replace all the 319's and you will just have the 320/21 as the only buses going strong. So we shall sit and watch.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:13 am
by aerolimani
Great photos, indeed!

It's funny, though. To any Canadian grocery shopper, those colours make us think of No Name brand, a house brand for many grocery stores across the country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)

ModernAviator, those are P&W engines: http://www.pw.utc.com/Press/Story/20130 ... Categories

Image

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:26 am
by MaksFly
what a stunning looking bird.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:17 am
by 77H
With G4 retiring their 757 fleet, might NK consider using the NEO fleet to HI from LAS or LAX? If the NEO fuel savings are really ~15% better that might make it economically feasible.

For years people have been saying that HI has too much capacity but seat counts and new entrants (i.e. VX) continue to rise. Additionally, with WN's HI plans in limbo for a few more years perhaps it's and ideal time to enter.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:48 am
by rocketPower
ModernAviator wrote:
It looks Great! We were discussing in my operations class how the NEO and the MAX are going to have 10-15% better flue economy , is this true? Also P&W or GE?


The seafoam green band inside the engine gives it away as a GTF. Even the E2, CSeries and MRJ have it.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:53 am
by PDX757
How long before the interior is gross? With chewing gum on the seats and such.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:19 am
by CRJ900
LAX772LR wrote:
Very nice. The proportion of those engines looks so much better-- like a mini A350 :-P

How many airlines have them now?
How many at the launch customer (Lufty)?


IndiGo already have 10 x A320 with GTF in operation, and I haven't heard of any issues with them. LH still only have four.

I absolutely love the bright yellow colour and the large engines. Aircraft deserve to have lots of colours, they are such lovely birds (parrots).

Will Spirit have the 186-seat / SmartCramped... sorry, SmartFlex-galley/lav combo at the back or conventional 180 seats?

I think a CSeries / A320-A321 combo with GTF as the common engine will be a smart choice for many airlines - hope Spirit will start such a trend.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:24 pm
by eksath
aerolimani wrote:
Great photos, indeed!

It's funny, though. To any Canadian grocery shopper, those colours make us think of No Name brand, a house brand for many grocery stores across the country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)

ModernAviator, those are P&W engines: http://www.pw.utc.com/Press/Story/20130 ... Categories

Image



lol.. That is awesome. I was not aware of the similarity! :-)

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:28 pm
by iFlyDTW
I'm looking forward to seeing this new bird at DTW soon!

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:54 pm
by Heavierthanair
G'day

ModernAviator wrote:
We were discussing in my operations class how the NEO and the MAX are going to have 10-15% better flue economy , is this true?


I take it you mean that catching the flue on one of those new generation jobs has been reduced by some 10-15%, correct?

Cheers

Peter

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:16 pm
by ModernAviator
Heavierthanair wrote:
G'day

ModernAviator wrote:
We were discussing in my operations class how the NEO and the MAX are going to have 10-15% better flue economy , is this true?


I take it you mean that catching the flue on one of those new generation jobs has been reduced by some 10-15%, correct?

Cheers

Peter


It would be wonderful if that was true. I did mean happen to mean fuel.

Cheers

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:50 pm
by FBWFTW
PDX757 wrote:
How long before the interior is gross? With chewing gum on the seats and such.

The interior is already gross for anyone over 5'4" ;-p

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:23 am
by questions
The big engines really make the look! So awesome!

The bright yellow livery is interesting, however it is ruined by the black lettering. Another color or white would have looked so much better... anything but black.

How many seats did Spirit stuff into this new bird? What is the seat pitch?

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:38 am
by MesaFlyGuy
The first routes will be between MX bases, like FLL-DTW. After that, who knows what the possibilities are.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:49 am
by downdata
questions wrote:
The big engines really make the look! So awesome!

The bright yellow livery is interesting, however it is ruined by the black lettering. Another colour or white would have looked so much better... anything but black.

How many seats did Spirit stuff into this new bird? What is the seat pitch?


I doubt there are many "white on yellow" coloured brandings/schemes. It would be so atrocious (and unreadable) you'd go blind in 3 seconds.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:55 am
by MesaFlyGuy
downdata wrote:
questions wrote:
The big engines really make the look! So awesome!

The bright yellow livery is interesting, however it is ruined by the black lettering. Another colour or white would have looked so much better... anything but black.

How many seats did Spirit stuff into this new bird? What is the seat pitch?


I doubt there are many "white on yellow" coloured brandings/schemes. It would be so atrocious (and unreadable) you'd go blind in 3 seconds.


Don't quote me on this, but I'm 99% sure they are going to have 182 seats; 8 "Big Front Seats" and 174 regular economy. However the slim line seats ni these new aircraft (as ni the existing 32As and most of the 319s, give a little extra legroom and don't make the seats too intolerable (I've ridden in several and I'm 6'1". Granted I have a semi slender build, so it might be different for others.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:10 am
by my787
Spectacular livery! Wish the service and performance of the airline matched.
How many of these Neos does Sprint have on order? 20?

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:15 am
by eksath
my787 wrote:
Spectacular livery! Wish the service and performance of the airline matched.
How many of these Neos does Sprint have on order? 20?


Not sure about Sprint but Spirit has 45 A320NEO ordered! :-)

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:28 am
by hOMSaR
Sprint. Spirit. Same colors.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:02 pm
by BobMUC
Another nice yellow part of the Spirit A320NEO:

Image
http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/media_g ... CU9-16.jpg

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:05 pm
by Woodreau
iFlyDTW wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing this new bird at DTW soon!


Scheduled to arrive in DTW at 12:45pm on Saturday.

But it will be Spirit late. so who knows :) lol

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:25 pm
by ThirtyWest
qcpilotxf wrote:
It should be all expansion. There will be a point in a few years where 321s will begin replacing 319s, but I believe the 321neos will be replacing those 1:1


Spirit no longer has any A321NEOs on order, having converted all orders for A321NEOs into A320NEOs earlier this year, as reflected in the company's fleet plan: http://ir.spirit.com/fleetplan.cfm.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:17 pm
by william
rocketPower wrote:
ModernAviator wrote:
It looks Great! We were discussing in my operations class how the NEO and the MAX are going to have 10-15% better flue economy , is this true? Also P&W or GE?


The seafoam green band inside the engine gives it away as a GTF. Even the E2, CSeries and MRJ have it.


I have noticed that on various aircraft, is this a marketing thing?

Image

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:10 pm
by rocketPower
william wrote:

I have noticed that on various aircraft, is this a marketing thing?

Image


Seems only specific to the GTF. Maybe the tolerance from fan tip to casing is so tight they can't add any finish to it.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:32 pm
by Woodreau
Second Spirit NEO 6907 / N902NK (ex-F-WWBR) enroute to CYYR as NKS9902 just past Greenland.

https://www.flightradar24.com/NKS9902/b4df6d7


901 should be coming out of conformity later today and still on track to reposition as NKS8901 tomorrow from FLL to DTW.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:41 pm
by rojo
MesaFlyGuy wrote:
Don't quote me on this, but I'm 99% sure they are going to have 182 seats; 8 "Big Front Seats" and 174 regular economy. However the slim line seats ni these new aircraft (as ni the existing 32As and most of the 319s, give a little extra legroom and don't make the seats too intolerable (I've ridden in several and I'm 6'1". Granted I have a semi slender build, so it might be different for others.


NK's A320NEOs will be configured with 182 seats. It is stated in NK's fleet plan:

http://ir.spirit.com/fleetplan.cfm

Aircraft Type - Seats
A319 - 145
A320 - 178/182
A321 - 218/228

A320ceo - 178
A320neo - 182
A321ceo - 218 (2 aircraft delivered in 2005, N587NK and N588NK)
A321ceo - 228 (rest of A321 fleet)

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:01 pm
by UAL916
The green coating someone correct me if I'm wrong is an, abradable coating for blade tip to casing clearance. Its pretty common on PW 4000 engines.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:03 am
by wrongwayup
rocketPower wrote:
william wrote:

I have noticed that on various aircraft, is this a marketing thing?

Image


Seems only specific to the GTF. Maybe the tolerance from fan tip to casing is so tight they can't add any finish to it.


I believe it's a sacrificial coating - the blade tips eat away at it to get "perfect" tip clearance.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:40 pm
by KarelXWB
Regarding the fuel burn:

Spirit says on delivery flight from to FLL, they recorded 15.3% fuel burn with @prattandwhitney PurePower GTF engines.


https://twitter.com/airwayslive/status/ ... 9845017600

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:29 pm
by eksath
Conformity complete! This morning (Saturday,October 15th), N901NK inducted into the fleet and awaiting this morning's positioning flight to Detroit. She will be running the DTW-LAX route for awhile. She is scheduled to depart shortly.

Image

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 pm
by matt320
The second NEO N902NK arrived yesterday as well.ImageN902NK by Matt Lino, on Flickr

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:46 pm
by RickNRoll
BobMUC wrote:
Another nice yellow part of the Spirit A320NEO:

Image
http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/media_g ... CU9-16.jpg


How many millimeters is that fan blade clearance?

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:55 pm
by Erebus
UAL916 wrote:
The green coating someone correct me if I'm wrong is an, abradable coating for blade tip to casing clearance. Its pretty common on PW 4000 engines.


But as evident in the picture, the green area is nowhere near in contact with the fan blades.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:40 am
by Woodreau
First US NEO revenue flight is tomorrow 10/16 901NK flying NK704/NK707 DTW-LAX-DTW daily.

902NK completes conformity and commences revenue service on 10/17 flying NK464/NK409 FLL-ORD-FLL daily.

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:32 am
by eksath
RickNRoll wrote:
BobMUC wrote:
Another nice yellow part of the Spirit A320NEO:

Image
http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/media_g ... CU9-16.jpg


How many millimeters is that fan blade clearance?


It looks like this.Enlarge for closeup view.

Image

Re: First A320NEO delivered to Spirit

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:03 am
by pdxswa
N904NK taxiing into the alley