readytotaxi
Topic Author

Monarch airlines staff again warned it will go down to the wire.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:46 pm

no link as it is pay to view.
UK Daily Telegraph 10 Mar.
"CEO Andrew Swaffield has assured staff the deal will go through although not before the deadline day." The 12 day extention expires Wednesday.
"At the same time Monarch has attracted the interest of the Chinese conglomerate HNA GROUP, which also owns Swissport, reigniting speculation that stake in the carrier may be up for sale."

So looking good on the tightrope.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Armodeen

Re: Monarch airlines staff again warned it will go down to the wire.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:17 pm

I booked a flight with them to show faith (credit card, I am not stupid). Prices are dirt cheap as you can imagine.

JannEejit

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:17 am

The saga continues, hopefully a happy outcome. I thought EasyJet had expressed an interest in taking over Monarch a while ago ? I suppose effectively it might be a lost cause in business terms, but in retaining the brand it might be a bold experiment to blow some air under the ashes of the (almost) last remaining British traditional airline ? In that respect I wonder when Tui will also realise the retro appeal of the 'Britannia Airways' branding, and do something with it ?

skipness1E

Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:59 am

That's an #avgeek fantasy alas, TUI are building a modern European brand, not a retro British one. I sympathise but I can't imagine the idea has traction IMHO.
There's no reason for EZY to buy a troubled competitor, they can just wait and pick up the pieces. No sane airline would run two brands in the same space with no discerible difference in market positioning, all cost and no benefit.

anjin

Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:42 am

Quiet a few TUI aircraft have advertising branding these days in Germany anyway. Easy will wait and pick up the pieces, either business or crews if they jump.
Lets hope for a positive outcome for MON and Staff.

f4f3a

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:26 am

Unfortunately I think there will be a lot of consolidation in the industry . There's just too much capacity in the market . I can see a few well known airlines going in the next few years.

SwissCanuck

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:49 am

skipness1E wrote:
That's an #avgeek fantasy alas, TUI are building a modern European brand, not a retro British one. I sympathise but I can't imagine the idea has traction IMHO.
There's no reason for EZY to buy a troubled competitor, they can just wait and pick up the pieces. No sane airline would run two brands in the same space with no discerible difference in market positioning, all cost and no benefit.

Ask your friendly neighbourhood Canadian about "Best Buy Canada" and "Future Shop" they'd beg to differ....

EDIT: Ok you DID say "No sane airline" ;)

cougar15

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:59 am

anjin wrote:
Quiet a few TUI aircraft have advertising branding these days in Germany anyway. Easy will wait and pick up the pieces, either business or crews if they jump.

Well, I hear the EK Headhunters are already doing their thing as far as front end Crew goes (TUI and MON)....
some you lose, others you can´t win!

debonair

Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:40 am

I am sorry if discussed before...

Why is Monarch an ATOL member and other airlines not (maybe due to the fact that they are selling vacations packages)?
If so, wouldn't it be better to separate the business and to concentrate only on the airline business (like FR,U2), getting rid off package holidays?

BobPatterson

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:47 pm

debonair wrote:
I am sorry if discussed before...

Why is Monarch an ATOL member and other airlines not (maybe due to the fact that they are selling vacations packages)?
If so, wouldn't it be better to separate the business and to concentrate only on the airline business (like FR,U2), getting rid off package holidays?

Monarch, EasyJet and TUI, among many others, have ATOL licenses for that portion of their businesses dealing in travel packages. The ATOL licensees tend to be the "travel agencies" that sell packages, not the parent airlines. Monarch's ATOL license is under the name Cosmos Holidays Ltd. The listed web site www.cosmos.co.uk automatically brings up www.monarch.co.uk/holidays where a small icon informs you that all holidays are ATOL prtotected.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

debonair

Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:52 pm

@BobPatterson

Thank you... So, in the case Monarch can't pay in for the ATOL licence, package holidays were affected. But would it still be possible for Monarch to operate "seats-only" flights?

BasilFawlty

Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:24 am

debonair wrote:
But would it still be possible for Monarch to operate "seats-only" flights?

Yes, but package holidays is a large part of their business, they probably won't be able to survive with just seat-only sales.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

BobPatterson

Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:26 am

debonair wrote:

Thank you... So, in the case Monarch can't pay in for the ATOL licence, package holidays were affected. But would it still be possible for Monarch to operate "seats-only" flights?

I think Monarch plans to continue to operate the tour business and to renew their ATOL certificate. Else the CAA probably would not have granted an extension.

According to the 2015 annual report Monarch Airlines carried 5,975,000 passengers of which 665,900 (10.5%) came from their separate (but allied) tour operations business. The rest were either from flight-only sales or seats bought by other tour operators who do not have their own aircraft.

Monarch's airline business was nicely profitable in 2016 according to announcements. In 2015 their engineering business (repairs, upgrades, scheduled checks) was narrowly profitable. They lost more than 2 million pounds in the tour operation business. If the new investments recently promised actually come through (we ought to know for sure in the next 24-28 hours), then Monarch should actually be able to expand as an airline and prosper.

We shall see.

[edited to correct 2014 to 2015].
Last edited by BobPatterson on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Varsity1

Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:49 am

cougar15 wrote:
anjin wrote:

Well, I hear the EK Headhunters are already doing their thing as far as front end Crew goes (TUI and MON)....

EK recruiters cold message anyone with an ATP on LinkedIn. Nobody wants to work there, the schedules and QOL are terrible.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

bennett123

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:38 am

BBC say Greybull Capital are to invest GBP165M no more details.

wezgulf3

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:39 am

Looks like the issues have been fixed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37628348

Wes...

JannEejit

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:21 am

Greybull pumps more cash into Monarch, in what appears to be a 'shoring up' operation. We'll see where this ends up ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37628348

ETA: Info already posted, mods please delete !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos