LAXintl
Topic Author

Ontario International Airport to drop Los Angeles from name

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:00 pm

With sale of the airport from LAWA to the City of Ontario and other nearby municipalities planned to close on November 1st, the newly created Ontario International Airport Authority says one of its first actions will be to drop "Los Angeles” from its name, and becoming simply Ontario International Airport.

The question for travellers especially from outside the area is will the change create even more confusion regarding its location and potentially even confusion with being in Ontario Canada?

Marketing experts have warned that travelers may be reluctant to book a flight to an airport if they are confused about its exact location, which happens to be exactly why Bob Hope Airport in Burbank recently adopted the name “Hollywood Burbank Airport”, to better associate the airport location within greater Los Angeles.

OIAA officials say they realize the name change could create some confusion and are in the process of developing branding and logo for the airport.

Ontario International Airport to drop Los Angeles from its name
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-t ... story.html

=

I find it funny an airport who is dying for additional traffic, is in such hurry to dump the Los Angeles name. Bit like cutting off the nose to spite the face. Seems like political bad blood is behind the move, not a logical business or marketing needs.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mclayton2002

Re: Ontario International Airport to drop Los Angeles from name

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:09 pm

About time...the best airport in the area and LA Airports trying to shut it down all the time. It has plenty of traffic.

mercure1

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Seems silly move especially for airport that is trying to market itself as alternative option for Los Angeles basin.

Look around the world, and smaller airports go out of their way to associate and market themselves as part of larger nearbly cities to attract traffic to their facility.
mercure f-wtcc

tomaheath

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Adding "Boston" to Manchester airport hasn't helped us out to much.

travelin man

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:34 pm

mclayton2002 wrote:
About time...the best airport in the area and LA Airports trying to shut it down all the time. It has plenty of traffic.

Uh... what? I see about 3 incorrect statements in your post.

dc10lover

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:44 pm

"Southern California Ontario International Airport" Easy name.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Braniff747SP

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:36 pm

mclayton2002 wrote:

It's not the best airport, LAWA has never tried to shut it down, and it's traffic couldn't be described as "plenty" even on a good day.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

iahcsr

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:40 pm

I live in Houston, family is in Riverside, so ONT is my airport of choice. Hopefully the new owners will quickly entice airlines to come back to ONT instead of deliberately trying to drive them away like LA was doing. I want IAHONT nonstop back ASAP please.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

flyrocoak

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:01 pm

LAXintl wrote:
With sale of the airport from LAWA to the City of Ontario and other nearby municipalities planned to close on November 1st, the newly created Ontario International Airport Authority says one of its first actions will be to drop "Los Angeles” from its name, and becoming simply Ontario International Airport.

The question for travellers especially from outside the area is will the change create even more confusion regarding its location and potentially even confusion with being in Ontario Canada?

For me, I wasn't aware that 'Los Angeles' was even in the name of Ontario Airport - so no, it will not cause any confusion.

Most airline search engines will do the work for the customer, try typing in Los Angeles or San Francisco- you will almost always get presented with the ability to search all area airports and then sub to that, they are listed. Also, most travelers are savvy enough to know to look for other airports in the metro. As for airport names in general, I think most people gloss over the full, proper name and look for the geo identifier: Burbank, Santa Ana/Orange County, Ontario, etc. All the rest, doesn't matter to most people. As for confusion with Ontario, Canada- if they screw up, their first clue should be seeing 'Air Canada' in the results :o
I hope Ontario does well- I like that option!

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:31 pm

iahcsr wrote:
I live in Houston, family is in Riverside, so ONT is my airport of choice. Hopefully the new owners will quickly entice airlines to come back to ONT instead of deliberately trying to drive them away like LA was doing. I want IAHONT nonstop back ASAP please.

LAWA has not been driving airlines away. Matter of fact LAWA has done a great job reducing facility competiveness (cost per pax far lower than LAX), while also providing financial incentive programs for new services at ONT.

The problems of ONT have much more to do with the general economy, and its location than LAWA.

Even the airports #1 airline - Southwest has trimmed capacity - blaming lack of demand.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:17 pm

I love Ontario Airport, but there are four airports closer to downtown LA, three closer to Disneyland, four closer to Hollywood, and ....what else is there in the LA Basin?

LGB is certainly much improved over it's already pleasant self. SNA is certainly a nice, easy airport to travel through. I avoid LAX - personally - if at all possible (nothing like standing on an exposed airbridge waiting for security that moves at a snails pace). Ontario is great but is just too far from most of the obvious places.

Perhaps Ontario/Palm Springs International Airport? We've used ONT usually for Palm Springs.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

32andBelow

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:18 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
I love Ontario Airport, but there are four airports closer to downtown LA, three closer to Disneyland, four closer to Hollywood, and ....what else is there in the LA Basin?

LGB is certainly much improved over it's already pleasant self. SNA is certainly a nice, easy airport to travel through. I avoid LAX - personally - if at all possible (nothing like standing on an exposed airbridge waiting for security that moves at a snails pace). Ontario is great but is just too far from most of the obvious places.

Perhaps Ontario/Palm Springs International Airport? We've used ONT usually for Palm Springs.

PSP has good service though. I doubt they'd want to be drug into that.

Dominion301

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:30 pm

flyrocoak wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

For me, I wasn't aware that 'Los Angeles' was even in the name of Ontario Airport - so no, it will not cause any confusion.

Most airline search engines will do the work for the customer, try typing in Los Angeles or San Francisco- you will almost always get presented with the ability to search all area airports and then sub to that, they are listed. Also, most travelers are savvy enough to know to look for other airports in the metro. As for airport names in general, I think most people gloss over the full, proper name and look for the geo identifier: Burbank, Santa Ana/Orange County, Ontario, etc. All the rest, doesn't matter to most people. As for confusion with Ontario, Canada- if they screw up, their first clue should be seeing 'Air Canada' in the results :o

Agreed in terms of the savvy traveller. In terms of the non-savvy, there's always the classic cases of someone wanting to go to SYD and winding up at YQY! (i.e. Sydney, NSW vs. Sydney, NS).

Siren

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:38 pm

Ontario is my home airport, and it's a fantastic airport. But, it's definitely lacking in traffic.

The Inland Empire region that it primarily serves is one of the weakest major metropolitan areas in the United States, economically speaking. There isn't much demand for more routes and traffic from this airport at this time, as the economy of the region never fully recovered from the Great Recession.

One of the major driving reasons that the City of Ontario wanted to take control was to lower the pricing of the airport to make it more attractive to airlines. Very high fees that were supposedly on par with LAX drove traffic to LAX instead of ONT. The fees are still high, despite LAWA lowering them recently. The flights that do operate out of ONT are generally very full - I believe WN's load factor for ONT is around 85% or so.

ONT is underutilized in some respects - 5X has a major operation out of Ontario, and it's essentially the Los Angeles region hub of activities for them. I believe FX uses LAX primarily. The infrastructure (runways, navaids, facilities) are top notch... lowering the fee schedule can probably entice some carriers in.

drgmobile

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:52 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Seems silly move especially for airport that is trying to market itself as alternative option for Los Angeles basin.

Look around the world, and smaller airports go out of their way to associate and market themselves as part of larger nearbly cities to attract traffic to their facility.

A number of airports are doing this, but they're also the ones that tend to go for ultra low cost carriers and perhaps a bit desperate for traffic. There is at least as much risk of backlash when the kind of travellers confused by such things find themselves nowhere near where they wanted to be.

mercure1

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:01 pm

Will Ontario be able to afford the airport this time around? Lets not forget how Los Angeles/LAWA ended up running the airport to being with.

While its admirable local community wants to manage the airport, I don't see a guarantee that the operating cost will be any less, nor will a smaller community have scale to afford and manage any better than a big enterprise which can spread overhead and resources among multiple facilities.
mercure f-wtcc

alasizon

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:04 pm

flyrocoak wrote:
As for confusion with Ontario, Canada- if they screw up, their first clue should be seeing 'Air Canada' in the results :o

In all seriousness, that catches some people, but all they see is Ontario, CA which to some they think Canada. Probably 10-12 passengers a year make that mistake just connecting through PHX alone (most realize it, especially after the flight time is announced).

Ontario shouldn't have dropped the LA name but Southern California may work just as well should they choose to adopt it. Hopefully they stay away from Inland Empire though because outside of SoCal I don't think that name has much recognition.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

PatrickZ80

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:22 pm

I think it's a stupid move to drop the name Los Angeles. I mean, how many people have ever heard of Ontario California? Certainly outside the US almost nobody knows it, and since it's in or closeby L.A. I think it would be more wise to keep that name.

Maybe I'm thinking too European (I am from Europe anyway) but I would place L.A. Ontario in the row of airports like London Stansted, Milan Bergamo, Frankfurt Hahn, Stockholm Skavsta, Paris Beauvais, etc. All secondary airports that are mostly used by LCC's and that are a bit further away from the city center but all got good connections. I mean, how difficult is it to set up a bus connection between Ontario airport and downtown L.A.? Of course, for all these airports, if you just mention the airport name nobody knows where it is but by adding the city name to it it gets an identity.

bzcat

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Siren wrote:
Ontario is my home airport, and it's a fantastic airport. But, it's definitely lacking in traffic.

The Inland Empire region that it primarily serves is one of the weakest major metropolitan areas in the United States, economically speaking. There isn't much demand for more routes and traffic from this airport at this time, as the economy of the region never fully recovered from the Great Recession.

One of the major driving reasons that the City of Ontario wanted to take control was to lower the pricing of the airport to make it more attractive to airlines. Very high fees that were supposedly on par with LAX drove traffic to LAX instead of ONT. The fees are still high, despite LAWA lowering them recently. The flights that do operate out of ONT are generally very full - I believe WN's load factor for ONT is around 85% or so.

ONT is underutilized in some respects - 5X has a major operation out of Ontario, and it's essentially the Los Angeles region hub of activities for them. I believe FX uses LAX primarily. The infrastructure (runways, navaids, facilities) are top notch... lowering the fee schedule can probably entice some carriers in.

I think the pricing issue has been debunked many times but it doesn't help that the politicians trying to gain control of the airport is using that false info to justify their goals. ONT airline fees are pretty competitive with other regional airports in LA area and is cheaper than LAX. Airlines abandon ONT when they couldn't find enough passengers there during the recession and the passenger counts never rebounded for a variety of reasons.

One other thing to keep in mind is that ONT is a regional airport by nature but it is scaled/built out to a much higher scale. It has two runways and too much terminal... so it has a relatively high fixed costs. The 24/7 cargo operation/UPS hub generates good revenue but also incur more costs. Changing owner/operator won't fix those structural problems but I wish the new ONT airport authority good luck. They need a professional approach to turn the airport around, and resist the temptation to use ONT as a parochial political tool. The first decision to drop the LA name is a bit worrisome.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:55 pm

32andBelow wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

1. PSP doesn't get a say.
2. PSP is sometimes more expensive vs ONT. It's an easy drive and a cheap rental can be well worth it.
3. Many people may not know exactly where "Ontario" is but they usually either know - or don't know, but don't care - where Palm Springs is (they'll go there just because it's Palm Springs).

Anyhow, I do think LA/Ontario was a fine name. If it's just "Ontario International Airport", probably not a big deal.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

32andBelow

Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:23 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

2. PSP is sometimes more expensive vs ONT. It's an easy drive and a cheap rental can be well worth it.
3. Many people may not know exactly where "Ontario" is but they usually either know - or don't know, but don't care - where Palm Springs is (they'll go there just because it's Palm Springs).

Anyhow, I do think LA/Ontario was a fine name. If it's just "Ontario International Airport", probably not a big deal.

Well when they step out of the plane in Ontario they won' be happy to know they have a 70 mile drive on the 15. Hope it's not rush hour.

Viscount724

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:14 am

flyrocoak wrote:
As for confusion with Ontario, Canada- if they screw up, their first clue should be seeing 'Air Canada' in the results :o

AC did operate YYZ-ONT, i.e. from Toronto, Ontario to Ontario, briefly soon after transborder routes were deregulated and AC added many new routes. ONT and several others proved unsuccessful and were dropped fairly quickly.

Devilfish

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 am

alasizon wrote:
Hopefully they stay away from Inland Empire though because outside of SoCal I don't think that name has much recognition.

Now, there is the identifier...Ontario International Airport - Inland Empire :) Although the economic situation might rub off on airlines flying into it. But having family in Menifee and Murrieta, it sure beats driving all the way from LAX. :!:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

PlanesNTrains

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:34 am

32andBelow wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Well when they step out of the plane in Ontario they won' be happy to know they have a 70 mile drive on the 15. Hope it's not rush hour.

Well, LA/Ontario Airport was 55 miles from downtown. Ontario/Palm Springs Airport would only be 68 miles from PS. Perhaps have them pull the shades down in the transfer bus and tell them there's a lot of traffic. :-)
-Dave

commavia

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:45 am

flyrocoak wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Similar to how Ontario somehow things that throwing of the alleged tyranny of LAWA will somehow magically make the airport more attractive, it's laughable if they think the presence or absence of the name "Los Angeles" in the name of the airport will make one iota of difference. The airlines that fly there will still refer to it as "Ontario" either way, as will their passengers, with little if any notice of a formal name change. ONT's bigger problem is the market its serves, not the name on the sign at the entrance.

grbauc

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:33 am

mercure1 wrote:

Yes I live here in the south land and The ONT group that's taking over is On crack. They keep wanting to blame there whoa's on LAX, the truth is the the economy that caused the majors to draw back service to there hubs in LAX or shrink service. (do to the bad timing on the new terminal/higher costs and the economy in the area) SWA moving there ONT HUB TO LAX to chase the Business fares is a huge part.

The group that will be running ONT has a big task ahead of themselves. Trying to distance themselves from Los Angeles name, doesn't seem like a good start. There use to be Hourly service to OAK on WN, now look at there schedule. Another big problem with WN at ONT is the changing times on there flights. They change every schedule. Look at the ONT SAC flights they really beat that rout up. Wn's part in the change at ONT tells a good part of the story. I'm sure glad they didn't build the 3rd terminal. I believe there only chance at ONT is to attract Another LCC to Hub there and for them to get there costs Lower so they can work on attracting airlines to put more flights back at ONT. That Might be a good plan for them. Time will tell.
Last edited by grbauc on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

grbauc

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:35 am

iahcsr wrote:

Blame the economy and WN Not LAX. They in no way wanted ONT shut down? where do you get your info from. The biggest factor is Southwest moving there Hub.

grbauc

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:46 am

commavia wrote:
flyrocoak wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Similar to how Ontario somehow things that throwing of the alleged tyranny of LAWA will somehow magically make the airport more attractive, it's laughable if they think the presence or absence of the name "Los Angeles" in the name of the airport will make one iota of difference. The airlines that fly there will still refer to it as "Ontario" either way, as will their passengers, with little if any notice of a formal name change. ONT's bigger problem is the market its serves, not the name on the sign at the entrance.

And the market it shares should have the cost's of a airport like BUR. IMOP they should have about 1/2 the cost of LAX. It needs to be a cheap alternative to Lax.

FX1816

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:43 am

The name change to LA/Ontario only came on about the 2006-07 time frame and before that it was just Ontario International Airport. I will agree that it is slow here though but I'm just glad I get to work in the tower at the airport I grew up at since 1983!

AAlaxfan

Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:54 pm

32andBelow wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

If they are taking the 15 to Palm Springs it's going to more than a 70 mile drive. However, if they take then 10 or the 60, THAT drive might be only 70 miles!!
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

SurfandSnow

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:43 pm

I think ONT should absolutely get rid of its Ryanair-esque name. ONT is nowhere near the city of Los Angeles; it's time to focus on events and places where the airport actually has the geographic advantage vs. LAX (i.e. Big Bear, Cal Poly Pomona, Coachella music festival, Disneyland via the 57 freeway, Irvine and the South OC beaches via the 241 tollway, Joshua Tree National Park, Lake Arrowhead, LA County Fair, Morongo Casino Resort, Mt. Baldy, Pomona College, etc.). Rather than focusing on the big city that is very well served by other airports, ONT could market itself to tourists as the hassle free gateway to Southern California's playground.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

bzcat

Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:46 am

SurfandSnow wrote:
I think ONT should absolutely get rid of its Ryanair-esque name. ONT is nowhere near the city of Los Angeles; it's time to focus on events and places where the airport actually has the geographic advantage vs. LAX (i.e. Big Bear, Cal Poly Pomona, Coachella music festival, Disneyland via the 57 freeway, Irvine and the South OC beaches via the 241 tollway, Joshua Tree National Park, Lake Arrowhead, LA County Fair, Morongo Casino Resort, Mt. Baldy, Pomona College, etc.). Rather than focusing on the big city that is very well served by other airports, ONT could market itself to tourists as the hassle free gateway to Southern California's playground.

In-bound tourist is not going to help ONT that much. The challenge is getting locals to use the airport for outbound travel. Regional airports like ONT live or die by the local traffic and the problem with ONT is the catchment area is the most heavily impacted area during the great recession. Couple that with the fact the legacy carriers decided to reduce presence (so less spoke flights to hubs) and focus on other regional airports like SNA, you had a downward spiral in traffic that is difficult to reverse. It became a chicken and egg situation - people don't use ONT so airlines reduce flights which leads to fewer people using ONT so airlines reduce flights which leads to fewer people using ONT...

What the new airport authority should be doing is to help stimulate local travel demand. They should be talking to Mexican carriers now that air service between the two countries are greatly liberalized. They should be working with places like Las Vegas about promotions. They should be talking to community and business groups and ethnic travel agents in San Gabriel Valley to find out why people there prefer to use LAX or SNA for domestic travel instead of ONT.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Sorry don't see much success in concept of marketing ONT as a gateway to Disney or other popular Southland venues when you have other closer airports.

For me the success of the airport is very much tied the economic conditions of the IE, and the propensity, ability, and willingness of locals to travel. With a weaker(and poorer) economic base its going to be hard to foster too much new activity.

One area the airport could see success in however if air freight, particularly if they were to finally go ahead and develop the planned intermodal rail-tuck center including many dozen warehouses airport adjacent.
I know atleast even one foreign air carrier that considered moving its LAX freighter services to ONT, but the downfall of that concept was the lack of air freight community and infrastructure in the area. As it stands now much of the cargo would have to be driven back to the LAX or Long Beach areas as this is where most of the regions forwarders and freight industry is centered.

grbauc

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Really SWA slashing its flights are what ONT airport is missing so badly. Getting a low fare airline to focus city / hub ont has a alternative again is what will draw attention back to the area since the local economy is lagging and getting people from surrounding area's is what SWA was doing. SWA seems to be keeping just enough flights to keep it relevant to keep others away. SWA doesn't seem to want to return ONT back to what they had going on there has they now have a much bigger foot print in LAX.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:01 pm

Ownership of the Ontario Airport (ONT) has now officially transferred with issuance of an Airport Operating Certificate today by the FAA and OIAA issuing its own bonds cancelling remaining $55.5 million in outstanding facility debt previously held by LAWA. All in all the settlemeent agreement was valued at $250 million.

Airport will for now operate under a 21-month transition agreement that will allow workers and services performed by LAWA to slowly transfer to OIAA.

http://www.pe.com/articles/airport-8173 ... -lawa.html

=

MDW22L31C

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:03 am

Don't you think the reason Ontario airport has limited flights is now due to the only having 4 major airlines. I live in chino hills area the IE area economy has come back nicely since 2012.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos