Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EK413

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 146

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:52 am

On the topic of QF PER-LHR services would make it far more appealing from a customer perspective if Domestic & International operated from under the same roof. I've never transitted in PER but I've read the track is lengthy.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

smi0006

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:11 am

[*]
EK413 wrote:
On the topic of QF PER-LHR services would make it far more appealing from a customer perspective if Domestic & International operated from under the same roof. I've never transitted in PER but I've read the track is lengthy.

EK413

The plan was that QF would move over to international as they would build out the other side like they have for VA, however I believe this project was suspended after the mining cool off but I could be wrong. Would make sense as they are building a train station at QF domestic, funds should just be reallocated from that, why build a temporary train station!

With AA in town for a promotional event, I would say QF/AA will announce MEL-LAX with AA, and MEL-DFW with QF, or just SYD-ORD on QF. Question is would AA park a 77W just for a QF route announcement as part of the JV, or only if they were flying a route themselves? They have been on record saying they will introduce new AU routes? Maybe AA MEL-DFW, QF SYD-ORD?

tullamarine

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:13 am

There is a long-term plan to move QF across to the international complex alongside VA etc but given VA has just moved and QF has spent significant money refurbishing its own domestic terminal and joining it with the old VA (AN) terminal, this is years away.

It used to be about a 10km drive around the airport to get from domestic to int'l. When I was last in PER, they were building anew road; I don't know if that was going to lessen the distance.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

Sydscott

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:42 am

tullamarine wrote:

There is a long-term plan to move QF across to the international complex alongside VA etc but given VA has just moved and QF has spent significant money refurbishing its own domestic terminal and joining it with the old VA (AN) terminal, this is years away.

It used to be about a 10km drive around the airport to get from domestic to int'l. When I was last in PER, they were building anew road; I don't know if that was going to lessen the distance.

The problem PER has is that it's not an airport that has a great deal of domestic to international connections. The bulk of traffic at PER is O&D. If QF were able to setup the same arrangement in PER that the have in SYD, ie to bus people across to the International terminal behind security, then that would probably be an acceptable interim alternative to launch PER-LHR until the terminal consolidation happens in 10 to 15 years time. Either that or PER could allow QF to construct an international part to its current domestic terminal. That could handle not only PER-LHR but also PER-SIN on both QF and 3K and PER-DPS on JQ. Seasonally it could also handle PER-AKL. If they were to do that then that effectively means QF could further consolidate their position at PER without the Airport having to undertake the major terminal building.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 am

smi0006 wrote:

The plan was that QF would move over to international as they would build out the other side like they have for VA, however I believe this project was suspended after the mining cool off but I could be wrong. Would make sense as they are building a train station at QF domestic, funds should just be reallocated from that, why build a temporary train station!

There will be no train station at T3/T4 at PER, the closest train station will be the Belmont station which will be on Brearley Ave however it would be quite a walk to the terminal, for those interested refer to link below

http://www.forrestfieldairportlink.wa.gov.au/about

The train line will be operational in 2020 and Perth airport master plan states that QF will consolidate ops on other side of T1 in 2022 though given Perth airport's previous form I would not be surprised if that is delayed
Forum Moderator

ZuluAlpha

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:28 am

Just quickly ..

Does anyone know what time the QF 789 announcement is planned for tomorrow ?
Flown on:_CRJ, CR7 D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

AsiaTravel

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:43 am

ZuluAlpha wrote:
Just quickly ..

9.30 am to 11 am. Sydney time I'm guessing.

jupiter2

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:53 am

Sydscott wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

The problem PER has is that it's not an airport that has a great deal of domestic to international connections. The bulk of traffic at PER is O&D. If QF were able to setup the same arrangement in PER that the have in SYD, ie to bus people across to the International terminal behind security, then that would probably be an acceptable interim alternative to launch PER-LHR until the terminal consolidation happens in 10 to 15 years time. Either that or PER could allow QF to construct an international part to its current domestic terminal. That could handle not only PER-LHR but also PER-SIN on both QF and 3K and PER-DPS on JQ. Seasonally it could also handle PER-AKL. If they were to do that then that effectively means QF could further consolidate their position at PER without the Airport having to undertake the major terminal building.

If they were to do such an expansion, it would have to be 380 capable to handle EK flights as well and going on the previous attempt for such a gate, they'd have to start construction about now for say 2020 ? It's not going to happen, eventually there will be the one terminal for domestic/international and another for charter/mining flights. Then in 20-30 years, ad hoc construction will take place around the international terminal and apron area, as what is there won't be able to handle the traffic, bit like the add ons and patch work they do in Melbourne constantly.

log0008

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:41 am

AsiaTravel wrote:
ZuluAlpha wrote:
Just quickly ..

Is the AA aircraft that stayed in SYD today still in town? Assuming it is apart of a photo shoot?

Jetstar315

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:06 am

As I write this at 7.03pm Wednesday 26 Oct AEDT, QF A330 VH-QPJ departed VCV 2 hours and 15 minutes ago at 22:44 hours California time and is due at Kona in 3 hours and 19 minutes.It will be VERY interesting to see perhaps a new/updated/alternative livery to coincide with the delivery of the B787-9s from late next year.

AJ's announcement tomorrow should be exciting!!

EK413

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:08 am

smi0006 wrote:
[*]
EK413 wrote:

EK413

With AA in town for a promotional event, I would say QF/AA will announce MEL-LAX with AA, and MEL-DFW with QF, or just SYD-ORD on QF. Question is would AA park a 77W just for a QF route announcement as part of the JV, or only if they were flying a route themselves? They have been on record saying they will introduce new AU routes? Maybe AA MEL-DFW, QF SYD-ORD?

I remember reading up on the QF move postponed and the drive behind the decision was mainly due to VA vacating the Domestic Terminal. Understand QF have spent a great deal of money upgrading the lounge in the interim, however long term would be a move to the International Terminal. Wish operators of the airport pull their finger out and get a move on!

log0008 wrote:
AsiaTravel wrote:
ZuluAlpha wrote:
Just quickly ..

Is the AA aircraft that stayed in SYD today still in town? Assuming it is apart of a photo shoot?

Aircraft is spending the evening in SYD. I believe AA have retimed their LAX-SYD-LAX service eliminating the need to tow the aircraft off bay and tow back on bay.

EK413

skyhawkmatthew

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:23 am

Jetstar315 wrote:
It will be VERY interesting to see perhaps a new/updated/alternative livery to coincide with the delivery of the B787-9s from late next year.

Half the fleet still hasn't got the 2008 livery yet!
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

EK413

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:10 am

Jetstar315 wrote:
As I write this at 7.03pm Wednesday 26 Oct AEDT, QF A330 VH-QPJ departed VCV 2 hours and 15 minutes ago at 22:44 hours California time and is due at Kona in 3 hours and 19 minutes.It will be VERY interesting to see perhaps a new/updated/alternative livery to coincide with the delivery of the B787-9s from late next year.

It's a coincidence VH-QPJ is scheduled to arrive roughly about the time QF have their announcement plus AA B77W in town ;)

Something tells me AA will introduce LAX-MEL daily B789 equipment :) to compliment a QF MEL-DFW service?

EK413

bill142

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:10 am

Jetstar315 wrote:

My reliable executive sources say it's had the Thompson Cozy Suite installed to gauge customer feedback before roll out on the 787

EK413

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:15 am

bill142 wrote:
Jetstar315 wrote:

My reliable executive sources say it's had the Thompson Cozy Suite installed to gauge customer feedback before roll out on the 787

A revised livery is unlikely considering the revised livery was based on the B787 and A380. Colleague of mine did say the aircraft might be fitted out with Dream)liner interior :)

EK413

log0008

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:28 am

EK413 wrote:
bill142 wrote:
Jetstar315 wrote:

A revised livery is unlikely considering the revised livery was based on the B787 and A380. Colleague of mine did say the aircraft might be fitted out with Dream)liner interior :)

EK413

I would say it has to be a refit, unless its some special dreamliner promotion scheme but they would do that in the local shops wouldn't they?

AsiaTravel

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:33 am

log0008 wrote:

I would say it has to be a refit, unless its some special dreamliner promotion scheme but they would do that in the local shops wouldn't they?

Painting for the rest of the A330 fleet was in Singapore and I don't really see why they would fly all the way to VCV just for painting. I would say it's a refit too.

luftaom

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:48 am

EK413 wrote:

Colleague of mine did say the aircraft might be fitted out with Dream)liner interior :)

EK413

Oh dear ... 9 abreast down the back in a A330 is going to be really tight :)
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

EK413

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:56 am

log0008 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
bill142 wrote:

EK413

One would expect the work to be carried out locally at the BNE base but then again it wouldn't have been kept a secret... The aircraft has been offshore for a lengthy time, long enough to have a refit and special scheme? Aircraft is also being ferried during complete darkness to prevent any media leaks.

EK413

Qantas16

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:02 am

EK413 wrote:
Jetstar315 wrote:

It's a coincidence VH-QPJ is scheduled to arrive roughly about the time QF have their announcement plus AA B77W in town ;)

Something tells me AA will introduce LAX-MEL daily B789 equipment :) to compliment a QF MEL-DFW service?

EK413

While I agree it's not a coincidence, it's a bit risky having the aircraft arrive at the time of the announcement. If it's late for whatever reason then the whole thing's blown... unless it is a new livery in which case I can understand the surprise element. It was only gone for ~14 days so probably not enough time for a Wunala-stlye livery ;(

AsiaTravel

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:02 am

EK413 wrote:
log0008 wrote:

One would expect the work to be carried out locally at the BNE base but then again it wouldn't have been kept a secret... The aircraft has been offshore for a lengthy time, long enough to have a refit and special scheme? Aircraft is also being ferried during complete darkness to prevent any media leaks.

EK413

It has been in VCV since the 10th of this month, about 15 days. Less than half the time it take Qantas at BNE to refit an A333. I would say that the Business Suite remained untouched but the Economy could have the Cozy Suite.

An767

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:09 am

surley somebody will be awake in Kona that could keep an eye out due to land in 1hr 10. 01.18 local may be a struugle though. my bet is the changes are internal
an767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

angusjt

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:25 am

I reckon QPJ will remain the same on the interior, maybe a few subtle changes to Business (like a mini-bar) but not much, I don't think QPJ will get a completely new livery either, maybe some small changes like they did in 2008, Id love to see the darker-richer red they used on the tail of VH-XZJ become the norm.

I think its most likely QPJ could be receiving a special one-off livery, id like the return of Nalanji Dreaming!
Darwin - Perth - Sydney

EK413

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:50 am

Aircraft is approximately 30 minutes from touchdown. My gut tells me a special livery considering all the trouble QF have gone about operating via KONA opposed to Honolulu a QF destination... Just a thought...

EK413

IndianicWorld

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:57 am

Without having a chance to review the figures, how is AA doing on their SYD route?

To cancel a flight back today to do more marketing is an interesting move.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day though. A lot of effort appears to be going into it so I guess we will see how that plays out.

Thai77w

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:04 am

I think we'll see TAA returning to the skies tomorrow...

QPJ and QPH are to be repainted in VCV.

It only just has had a full refit in BNE, I seriously doubt it's had a refit in VCV. 15 days is about right for a complex livery. ;)
Aircraft types I've been on: PA31,Q300,AT75,AT76,717,733,738,739ER,763,772,77E,773,77W,788,789,744,319,320,332,333,346,359,380

log0008

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:06 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
Without having a chance to review the figures, how is AA doing on their SYD route?

To cancel a flight back today to do more marketing is an interesting move.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day though. A lot of effort appears to be going into it so I guess we will see how that plays out.

LF for JAN-JUN 2016 from Bitre

JAN: 96% in 75% out
FEB: 86% in 65% out
MAR:64% in 71% out
APR: 58% in 74% out
MAY: 56% in 59% out
JUN: 67% in 93% out
JUL; 92% in 83% out

Some not so great figures in there had me suprised a bit:

Also I think qantas should have a dreamtime dreamliner :)

QF41

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:30 am

Hi all. Does anyone know any details on the new freight flights between Hobart and China?

The flight will be underwritten by a local Tasmanian company.

With the runway extension still to be completed, this is good news for HBA airport!!
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K

log0008

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:33 am

QF41 wrote:
Hi all. Does anyone know any details on the new freight flights between Hobart and China?

With the runway extension still to be completed, this is good news for HBA airport!!

Will be 1 weekly starting in 1Q17 operating HBA-NGB (Ningbo) - carting fresh milk. Looking to increase to 3 weekly adding PEK. Still looking for contact carrier

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... y-for-milk

IndianicWorld

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:37 am

Log008, those are some interesting numbers. Thanks for that.

It certainly raises some questions about how all this Australasia-North America capacity growth is being absorbed year round.

As a JV, AA replaced some QF capacity on SYD-LAX, but the moves by QF to strengthen DFW and add SFO, along with AA launching AKL-LAX are all significant additions to the market.

Even without the other moves by competitors being factored in, interesting times indeed :)

QF41

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 am

log0008 wrote:
QF41 wrote:

Will be 1 weekly starting in 1Q17 operating HBA-NGB (Ningbo) - carting fresh milk. Looking to increase to 3 weekly adding PEK. Still looking for contact carrier

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... y-for-milk

Thanks. I guess the flight will give a whole new meaning of 'milk run'.
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K

log0008

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:48 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
Log008, those are some interesting numbers. Thanks for that.

It certainly raises some questions about how all this Australasia-North America capacity growth is being absorbed year round.

As a JV, AA replaced some QF capacity on SYD-LAX, but the moves by QF to strengthen DFW and add SFO, along with AA launching AKL-LAX are all significant additions to the market.

Even without the other moves by competitors being factored in, interesting times indeed :)

I think Melbourne can but might cost SYD a bit, MEL currently has 2 daily flights + the exta QF95/96 to north america if you don't include HNL. SYD has 7, 8 if you include Canada. In other words in 2 days SYD has more capacity than MEL does in a week!

zkojq

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:15 pm

Looking forward to tomorrow!

angusjt wrote:
I don't think QPJ will get a completely new livery either

Agree. Probably a special livery - hopefully like Wunala Dreaming. Why would they change the current livery? - It is pretty much perfect as it is, doesn't look even slightly dated and strongly respect's the airline's heritage. The 2008 refresh was a real masterstroke, made the livery look much more modern yet most people wouldn't notice the change unless the two different liveries were right in front of them. The only thing I'd change would be to make the inside of the winglets red and consider putting there (the white interior side of the winglets does bug me a bit on the 737s).

angusjt wrote:
I think its most likely QPJ could be receiving a special one-off livery, id like the return of Nalanji Dreaming!

Yes please! Or Wunala.

log0008 wrote:
MAY: 56% in 59% out

Ouch!

log0008 wrote:
Will be 1 weekly starting in 1Q17 operating HBA-NGB (Ningbo) - carting fresh milk.

In liquid form?? That would be incredibly inefficient. I appreciate that a lot of Chinese people don't trust milk powder after the various scandals there where it's ended up tainted, but I still can't imagine how the economics of airfreighting it such a long way would work.
First to fly the 787-9

luftaom

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Just (tangentially) picking up on EK413 talk of the QF Perth being all under the one roof (domestic and international) I'm sure that there was some fairly official suggestion by Sydney Airport that long term they wanted to put QF (and friends) domestic and international into the current domestic terminals, with a combined domestic and international VA (and friends) being in the current international terminal. I seem to recall that VA were against it because the current international terminal is just that bit further from the city and they would lose the time sensitive (read higher yielding) domestic passengers as a result.

Also interesting to note that there is talk (long term) of the airport line trains terminating at Central. That will be a bit of a pain (particularly on a Friday night when you'd be mad to get a cab from the CBD to the airport) for anyone looking to get from an office in the CBD (particularly the north end) to the airport. When I was often travelling from Bligh St to the domestic terminal for the 19:40 QF846 (which has since been re-timed) there were a number of occasions where finishing up at work and getting to the airport before 19:10 bag drop cutoff was a real struggle. Adding an extra 5-10 minutes of faff at Central (in peak hour) wouldn't have been fun.

This is being driven by the ominous long term patronage forecasts for the Parramatta/Westmead area where the urban planners are faced with the problem of a massive increase in the number of users (think all those new home units going up) and not enough rail capacity to cope. The forecasts are that you won't be able to board some trains at Parramatta in the morning peak (ouch!). So it looks like the airport line will terminate at Central to increase capacity on the Western line to/from Parramatta/Westmead .

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:24 pm

VHQPJ has just taken off from KOA so I guess we can expect it in SYD sometime between 1030 and 11am

https://www.flightradar24.com/reg/vh-qpj
Forum Moderator

ZuluAlpha

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:02 pm

[quote="luftaom"] Also interesting to note that there is talk (long term) of the airport line trains terminating at Central.

That will be very interesting if that proposal goes ahead because from Central to the the two airport stations there are two stops, Green Square and Mascot where both have huge unit developments almost like their own satellite cities Not sure about Green Square, but I know in Mascot there are literally thousands of units due for completion inside of 18 months. If they do stop the airport line, will Mascot station become a terminus ? Or will say the Sydney Light Rail extend as far as Mascot and Green Square stations ?
Flown on:_CRJ, CR7 D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

luftaom

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:43 pm

The trains will just stop at central and turn back from there (rather than going around the city circle as they currently do). It was really poor planning when they built the line - the much better option would have been to build an all new city turnback rather than integrating the line into the city circle. It will cost mountains of money to reengineer that now. Shame really because it would give the planners a lot more flexibility on other lines now. Although, everything is very easy with the benefit of 20 years of hindsight.

log0008

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:51 pm

For those wanting to watch QF event live: https://www.facebook.com/Qantas/
Also VH-QPJ is on approach now

allrite

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:07 pm

log0008 wrote:
For those wanting to watch QF event live: https://www.facebook.com/Qantas/
Also VH-QPJ is on approach now

I think it flew overhead outside my office window and I barely looked up. Bugger!

Though I don't recall anything being particularly different on the outside.
I like artificial banana essence!

log0008

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:11 pm

QF has a new logo according to twitter Image

log0008

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:11 pm

allrite

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:14 pm

Apparently some controversy about the new uniforms and dress code. Big moustaches are out. Yet at today's event they've got people in retro clothes. So would this be acceptable? :)

I like artificial banana essence!

ben175

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:14 pm

This announcement surely warrants its own thread, so I made one:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1346265

777Jet

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:20 pm

log0008 wrote:
QF has a new logo according to twitter Image

The look of the roo will better reflect the problem of obesity in today's society ;)
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

log0008

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:29 pm

No route announcement - expect them in December now.

Here is our new national airline

angusjt

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:39 pm

Jeez that new livery looks well, different... Was the change of the font and kangaroo really necessary? I do like the flying kangaroo next to the cockpit though

777Jet

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:59 pm

OMG what a change. That's so creative and different. It doesn't even look like a QANTAS plane! New customers will come running to QANTAS. Truly remarkable. This is a great day for QANATS - a new era has begun LOL.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

log0008

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:03 am

Ok now whats the real reason an AA 777 is in Sydney?

bill142

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:59 am

log0008 wrote:

Because they fly there daily?

log0008

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:11 am

bill142 wrote:
log0008 wrote:

Because they fly there daily?

Yesterdays SYD-LAX leg didn't run and wasn't schedualled so an AA 777 is sitting in Sydney, most assumed to be part of the QF launch.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos