Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LawAndOrder

Re: New DL Uniforms

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:02 am

vhtje wrote:
I want to say at the outset that I state this as a non-American, therefore my perception may be off.

But... isn't Land's End a former Sears label? Therefore, it is a bit (read: a lot) downmarket? In contrast, Delta London uses Vivienne Westwood, but Delta uses... Sears.

Ew.

Vivienne Westwood designed them as Zac Posen designed delta's......Land's end is a manufacture that is known for its quality........

LawAndOrder

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:06 am

Prost wrote:
Remember when the A350 business class seat introduction there are a lot warmer tones than just blue. The new uniforms will coordinate well with the new interiors in the front of the cabin.

the back even more......and I would imagine it would be absent of a lot of red

usdcaguy

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:08 am

The guys' suits do make them look like bellboys, and the purple dresses on women with more generous figures make them look like two-eyed, one-widget flying purple people eaters.

The short of it: remove the epaulets on the guys' suits (rather humiliating), take the woolen sweater crap out of the collection and taper all the jackets, and it might look OK.

staralliance38

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:13 am

Not a fan of the purple. First thing that came to mind was Qatar Airways; thought it a bit odd and ironic, since Delta's not a big fan of them. When I think of the three majors' color schemes, I think AA: Red, white, blue, gray/silver; UA: white, blue, black and gold; DL: red and blue. Though red and blue make purple, it's not part of the Delta brand of which I used to be proud. I have trouble seeing this as iconic. I do applaud the diversity body types the models represent. Perhaps the hardest aspect of systemwide uniform design is delivering a product to suit anyone and everyone. Not happy in the end though.
Roar, lion, roar

OSUk1d

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:15 am

DL F/A welcoming pax on board...

NYCAAer

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:27 am

One of the challenges faced by US carriers and many others around the world is that you have to design uniforms that look appropriate on different body types, but also different ages. The male FA uniform isn't age-appropriate for more senior FAs, it's sort of teeny-bopper cutesy. No lapels on the blazer? Barf. I'd hate to be stuck wearing it. One colleague of mine at AA said she thinks the males would look good with one of those bellhop caps with the chin strap to complete the look.

global2

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:12 am

I'm quite surprised by this collection...in a good way. They certainly won't be confused with the underwhelming updates by UA and AA (which I have trouble telling apart). The dress is quite elegant.

dampfnudel

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:31 am

I wonder if we'll see start seeing the color purple being used in cabin refreshes/new aircraft (purple/plum seats)?
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

alasizon

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:34 am

dampfnudel wrote:
I wonder if we'll see start seeing the color purple being used in cabin refreshes/new aircraft (purple/plum seats)?

Plum seats wouldn't age well, but plum accents (blankets, etc) might.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

OOer

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:02 am

n7371f

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:09 am

jnev3289 wrote:
I really don't mind them in a vacuum but it really doesn't say Delta at all. If you put them in front of any number of regular passengers they would have zero clue they worked for Delta. A very puzzling move in my opinion.

About as dated as Alaska's interiors, designed in 1989.

LawAndOrder

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:00 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
One of the challenges faced by US carriers and many others around the world is that you have to design uniforms that look appropriate on different body types, but also different ages. The male FA uniform isn't age-appropriate for more senior FAs, it's sort of teeny-bopper cutesy. No lapels on the blazer? Barf. I'd hate to be stuck wearing it. One colleague of mine at AA said she thinks the males would look good with one of those bellhop caps with the chin strap to complete the look.

In my opinion AA does not have a dog in the fight so their employees comments should be left to what should be done to their uniforms to stop looking like Hilton front desk workers (dont give me that professional argument). At least Zac attempted to bring the glamour back and still make it modern and fun. Granted I do believe some re-work needs to be done on the males and female side. But are we forgetting how a majority of the people HATED both releases of the AA uniform. Then it hits the employees with a scarf and a oversized bag and now the AA employees are happy. These have over a year to be re-worked and edited. You can't please everyone I actually like the lack of a lapel, as I have vest that come with lapels and always hate putting them under a suit jacket with a lapel as well.

LawAndOrder

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:07 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
To each his own. I think the women look like Barney the Dinosaur and the men look like bellhops at a hotel. Morale was low at AA with the new uniforms on the legacy AA side, but after seeing this, we don't feel so bad anymore.

Your morale should still be low as your uniform looks like someone went to banana republic and bought all the males and female clothes on clearance. The Females signature dress gloves and purse alone blows every piece of the AA uniform out the water even in its current state (what was shown at the reveal). You add a reputable brand of shoes and the new luggage they are receiving along with the new uniform and you really see a company that cares about at least attempting to elevate the brand and making it's employees feel bold and confident. Laugh now as change is always hard but once everything hits the concourses in December I have a feeling your uniforms at AA will be re-worked.

cjg225

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:24 pm

I am a huge Delta fan (and apologist), but... not going to defend this. They look okay, but I don't agree with using purple regardless of the rationale. Navy or red is the way to go. These look like upper-class FedEx Freight uniforms.

I'm glad they are retaining a red uni option for female F/As. I've loved that look as long as it has existed.

The lack of lapels on the jackets is ridiculous, though. What compels you to design a jacket like that? Yuck.

jnev3289 wrote:
I really don't mind them in a vacuum but it really doesn't say Delta at all. If you put them in front of any number of regular passengers they would have zero clue they worked for Delta. A very puzzling move in my opinion.

Excellent point. Other than the red F/A unis for females and the red tops for some of the below-wing folks, nothing really makes me immediately think, "Delta."
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

MaverickM11

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:32 pm

These are hideous. The red, square customer service agents are one HUGE bow away from being 1980s airline uniforms. It reminds me of this scene from Airplane! "Where'd you get that dress...it's aaaawful and those shoes jeeeeeeez"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-k9VE-eEY4
I don't take responsibility at all

USAirALB

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:23 pm

On a somewhat related note-does DL plan to redesign the interiors of its cabins?

The current cabins look INCREDIBLY sterile-from the white bulkheads to the cheap-plastic looking leather seat covers. I am hoping they replace leather with cloth on long haul flights.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

NYCAAer

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:25 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:
To each his own. I think the women look like Barney the Dinosaur and the men look like bellhops at a hotel. Morale was low at AA with the new uniforms on the legacy AA side, but after seeing this, we don't feel so bad anymore.

Your morale should still be low as your uniform looks like someone went to banana republic and bought all the males and female clothes on clearance. The Females signature dress gloves and purse alone blows every piece of the AA uniform out the water even in its current state (what was shown at the reveal). You add a reputable brand of shoes and the new luggage they are receiving along with the new uniform and you really see a company that cares about at least attempting to elevate the brand and making it's employees feel bold and confident. Laugh now as change is always hard but once everything hits the concourses in December I have a feeling your uniforms at AA will be re-worked.

Sorry to disappoint you, but our morale isn't as low as you would have it with our new uniforms. They don't photograph well, look much better in real life. The "signature" purple dress is nice, but imagine that in a size 26, which WILL exist. When I saw these uniforms, I was laughing. Fun? Glamour? Do you really buy a ticket looking for that in 2016?

KGRB

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:38 pm

USAirALB wrote:
The current cabins look INCREDIBLY sterile-from the white bulkheads to the cheap-plastic looking leather seat covers. I am hoping they replace leather with cloth on long haul flights.

Cheap, plastic-looking leather? I don't think so.

As for your suggestion that Delta switch to cloth seats, not gonna happen. Leather seats are a signature element of the Delta brand.
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/9E CRJ-900 LGA-MSN January 2020

LawAndOrder

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:43 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you, but our morale isn't as low as you would have it with our new uniforms. They don't photograph well, look much better in real life. The "signature" purple dress is nice, but imagine that in a size 26, which WILL exist. When I saw these uniforms, I was laughing. Fun? Glamour? Do you really buy a ticket looking for that in 2016?

Your morale is low. I have access to the NEW AA jetnet, and the comments about your new uniforms were 90% negative on all variations. I can screen shot if I need to. The world has seen your uniform in person and we are not impressed. It's dull and boring and the dress/skirt only looks good on a female with nice frame (quote from AA's employee). The males uniforms are slightly better. You can continue to laugh, if you think AA uniform looks good than chances are nothing remotely fashionable would appease you and I am pretty sure Zac Posen realized that it would get this type of reaction as most fashion does. Then viola 2 years later every store has it lol. Hell morale should be better I would rather wear the old Southwest Khaki shorts and polos than your previous uniform and I've seen plenty size 26 in the American new uniform and it looks a mess. But again the Delta males version could be tweaked slightly!

NYCAAer

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:14 pm

Law and Order, I'm not saying that the new AA uniform is wonderful, just that it's the lesser of two evils. The Richard Tyler DL uniform continues to be the best among all U.S. carriers, hands down.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:18 pm

vhtje wrote:
I want to say at the outset that I state this as a non-American, therefore my perception may be off.

But... isn't Land's End a former Sears label? Therefore, it is a bit (read: a lot) downmarket? In contrast, Delta London uses Vivienne Westwood, but Delta uses... Sears.

Ew.

Land's End was a high quality Fit/Materials clothing manufacturer (located in Wisconsin) that Sears purchased in an attempt to upscale their offerings. It was sold in Sears under the Land's End name. But, Sears mismanaged it (in my opinion Sears did not know how to properly market Land's End and incorporate it into their stores). At the same time you could still order directly from Land's End which is what their previous customer base did. A few years ago Land's End was spun out of Sears to again go its own way as who they always were.

I had a family member who worked there, and I have some clothing from there. One of the few places I can mail order slacks that will fit me as they don't just go by waist size and leg length, but will custom fabricate for your "drop" (where your waistband is in comparison to your crotch), and can adjust for large/thin legs. i.e: you can get essentially tailored clothing to your measurements without paying any or a lot extra. The materials of what I own are very durable.

So, don't worry about the fit or quality of materials. Land's End's base mode is well above average on that.

I think it speaks very well of Delta to use Land's End. There are hundreds of lessor options...

Have a great day,

iahcsr

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:25 pm

The plum color is very similar to the aubergine CO had in the late 80's.. a bit darker though.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

mayor

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:33 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
Plum? No lapels? Gold buttons on gray? Some very strange choices that don't fit the brand or go together well on the color wheel. Kind of sad that the rampers have the best outfit far and away. Those are nice and fit the brand.

I will say though that employees take their uniforms way too seriously. Almost none of their passengers care or can tell a difference among airlines. And those are the people making your paycheck, not the other employees groups or competitor airlines.

If you're going to spend 8-10 hours (or more) in that uniform each day, perhaps it is best if you like the look and like how you look in it. Otherwise, everyone could just wear potato sacks and wouldn't that make a splash?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

piedmont762

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:39 pm

KGRB wrote:
piedmont762 wrote:
Personally I don't know why they are doing away with uniforms that are less than 10 years old and still look good.

Styles change quickly. These uniforms won't be implemented until 2018 (although wear testing will be going on this Winter), so the current Richard Tyler uniforms will be over 10 years old by then.

Pretty sure AA, CO, US etc kept their uniforms for 20+ years. In fact CO didn't change their uniforms before the merger but UA had a new uniform roll out around 2006. Both were ditched in favor of the cheap materials you have now (although apparently UA is getting an update as well.)

I think the men's outfits look very high quality with the gray, it's the purple that is just random. Not in the company color wheel at all.

LawAndOrder

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:45 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
These are hideous. The red, square customer service agents are one HUGE bow away from being 1980s airline uniforms. It reminds me of this scene from Airplane! "Where'd you get that dress...it's aaaawful and those shoes jeeeeeeez"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-k9VE-eEY4

Once it's belted it would look amazing, I think they did a horrible job of staging the pieces presented.

LawAndOrder

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:56 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
Law and Order, I'm not saying that the new AA uniform is wonderful, just that it's the lesser of two evils. The Richard Tyler DL uniform continues to be the best among all U.S. carriers, hands down.

The Richard Tyler uniform looks great on a person with a nice frame other than that it looks frumpy. I definitely have plenty examples of that. The point in my opinion is that I dont believe AA is the best of the two evils. I think they kept it dark and plain to blend in yet the silhouettes still don't flatter. I appreciate the effort and design Zac did and with edits his uniform will be very sharp. Delta thought of telling an entire story, with gloves, bags, glasses, luggage, shoes and scarves. It's fashion take a old style and make it modern. Some liek it some dont but i do respect your viewpoint.

airtran737

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:04 pm

These uniforms look terrible. The poor airport agents are going to look like Hillary Clinton in the red pantsuit.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

ckfred

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Sears was trying to move upscale, when it bought Lands' End in 2002. The problem was that Lands' End was forced to start buying material from regular Sears vendors, which led to customer complaints about declining quality. With the spin-off of the catalog business (Sears still owns the stores, as well as about 50% of the catalog business), Lands' End has been able to act on its own in terms of suppliers, manufacturing, and design.

The problem of late was that Lands' End just fired its CEO. I believe she was European, and she was trying to modernize the company's offerings. The problem is that Lands' End customers tend to prefer more classic styles. My take is that if you like suits from Brooks Brothers, you would wear clothes from Lands' End.

In that regard, some of Delta's uniforms look like they are out of the vision of the Lands' End CEO who was just fired. These don't look like the polo shirts, dress shirts, and dress pants with Lands' End labels in my closet.

I understand that AA, UA, and DL have felt that their uniforms looked very staid, and they needed a major makeover. I remember waiting for a shared van at SEA, and an Air France crew walked up for their van to the crew hotel. Even though the predominant color was dark blue, the uniforms were stylish without being too chic.

USAirALB

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:56 pm

KGRB wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

As for your suggestion that Delta switch to cloth seats, not gonna happen. Leather seats are a signature element of the Delta brand.

Leather seats are incredibly uncomfortable and rather cheap for long haul. No other legacy domestic or major international carrier has leather seats on long haul flights in Y except DL (and L-US AA A330s, which will be eventually be replaced by cloth seats.)

This entire cabin layout looks cheap and plastic looking:

RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

LawAndOrder

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:15 pm

USAirALB wrote:
KGRB wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Leather seats are incredibly uncomfortable and rather cheap for long haul. No other legacy domestic or major international carrier has leather seats on long haul flights in Y except DL (and L-US AA A330s, which will be eventually be replaced by cloth seats.)

This entire cabin layout looks cheap and plastic looking:

This is a old cabin........the entire details of the New cabin have not been released for the 350. The other refurbs have not been established they are considering changes.

LawAndOrder

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:16 pm

airtran737 wrote:
These uniforms look terrible. The poor airport agents are going to look like Hillary Clinton in the red pantsuit.

the red is for the red coats (the supervisors), have you seen there current blazers? It looks worlds ahead of what they currently have.

intotheair

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:30 pm

ckfred wrote:
I understand that AA, UA, and DL have felt that their uniforms looked very staid, and they needed a major makeover. I remember waiting for a shared van at SEA, and an Air France crew walked up for their van to the crew hotel. Even though the predominant color was dark blue, the uniforms were stylish without being too chic.

This. Why couldn't DL have gone more to the AF route?

I admire DL for coming up with something so daring that it eschews the typical navy garb, but I don't think the aubergine is the answer. I have a feeling there will be some major edits to these uniforms by the time they're fully implemented.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

alasizon

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:33 pm

We are all going back and forth on what uniforms look good, etc. Has there in the past fifteen years been a uniform that looked good at reveal or even at launch?

The current DL uniform looks unflattering on those above a size twelve because you lose the trimmed and fitted look. The new AA uniform looks amazing on those who are tall and slender but when you get shorter, the proportions are lost and for those with a larger rear end, the pants have an awkward fit and the skirt doesn't look well on females. The AA shirts looked bad at first but in person, they look a lot different. The UA uniform has a bit of a cheaper look to it but it certainly is the most uniform of most in my opinion.

The color and lack of lapels is probably the two biggest gripes for these new DL uniforms and hopefully they look better in person.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

TVNWZ

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:48 pm

I think they look very fashion forward. Nice look. And Lands End is just making the uniforms. That's it. They did not design them. The company is known for putting together quality, long lasting clothing. Who else better to manufacture what was designed. And it's American made. Good for Delta.

Jetmarc

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:53 pm

Did Zac Posen or Delta explain the concept? The reason to use purple? Sounds like they just rolled out the color with nothing more than glossing over the models wearing "passport plum" when introducing the uniform pieces.
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

Dalmd88

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:52 pm

As for the Mtc crews, a huge thumbs down to the purple shirts. A polo shirt with a ZIPPER? Zippers on the mechanic shirt pockets? I predict 90% of the hangar and shop guys wearing the black t-shirt looking thing. I hate wearing t shirts at work but I really dislike the new polo and mechanic purple zipper crap.

flyboy80

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:07 pm

I've heard that Lands End and Delta designed the uniforms, but paid for Zac Posen's consulting and to brand the project for marketing. Could this be true?

Varsity1

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Delta is becoming a hilarious hodgepodge of an airline. From buying an oil refinery to actively sourcing 4th hand outdated jets, flying every fleet type on earth, cheap looking interiors, a mega hub in a second rate southern city and now random purple uniforms. It really can't be replicated. It's like a sitcom.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

panamair

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:37 pm

Jetmarc wrote:
Did Zac Posen or Delta explain the concept? The reason to use purple? Sounds like they just rolled out the color with nothing more than glossing over the models wearing "passport plum" when introducing the uniform pieces.

Here's an interview clip with Zac Posen before yesterday's reveal:

http://news.delta.com/exclusive-intervi ... m-redesign

flyboy80 wrote:
I've heard that Lands End and Delta designed the uniforms, but paid for Zac Posen's consulting and to brand the project for marketing. Could this be true?

Zac Posen designed the Above Wing uniforms and consulted on the design of the Below Wing uniforms. Lands End designed and created the Below Wing uniforms with some 'inspiration' from Zac Posen. Lands End will also manufacture and supply ALL of the Above and Below Wing uniforms.

smi0006

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Does anyone have further internal photos? On Instagram there is a grey suit option for the ladies shown here.

As a side note - an airline can change their brand elements, DL have been very consistent for the past decade? A slight tweak doesn't hurt - blankets, uniforms, mood lighting, other accents seem like a nice modernising tweet to me.

dl757md

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
As for the Mtc crews, a huge thumbs down to the purple shirts. A polo shirt with a ZIPPER? Zippers on the mechanic shirt pockets? I predict 90% of the hangar and shop guys wearing the black t-shirt looking thing. I hate wearing t shirts at work but I really dislike the new polo and mechanic purple zipper crap.

The zippers will be less obtrusive and more of a sealed zipper style on the production below-wing uniforms. More on purple below.

flyboy80 wrote:

Zac Posen designed the above wing uniforms with huge amounts of input from the Cross Divisional Uniform Committee, front-line employee focus groups, job shadowing, Delta management, and Lands End. He consulted on the below wing uniforms to ensure that the appearance was consistent with above wing.

Jetmarc wrote:

Richard Anderson and Ed Bastian were reportedly adamant that they did not want a red/white/blue uniform and directed the Uniform Committee and Zac to think outside the box.

TVNWZ wrote:
And it's American made.

Above wing is Made in USA below wing is not.

jetlanta wrote:
Unless there are more brand changes to come...

;)

Delta really pulled out the stops to listen to what the employees wanted because they wanted the employees to be proud of how they look which translates into a better customer experience. Everyone involved did a great job. The pieces represent the vast majority of what the people who have to wear them wanted in a new uniform. Is Passport Purple a popular choice? Well you can't please everybody and only time will tell, but if the unabashed excitement and approval of the hundreds of front line employees that will have to wear these uniforms who attended the event is any indication, Delta's new uniform colors will be a huge win for Delta and more importantly their customers.
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

KLDC10

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:43 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Delta is becoming a hilarious hodgepodge of an airline. From buying an oil refinery to actively sourcing 4th hand outdated jets, flying every fleet type on earth, cheap looking interiors, a mega hub in a second rate southern city and now random purple uniforms. It really can't be replicated. It's like a sitcom.

You're joking, right? Not to go too far off topic, but first of all, the refinery is turning a profit. Secondly, Delta has exercised considerable discipline when it has come to capital expenditure. So what if the airplanes they buy aren't brand new? Have you actually flown with Delta? The job the airline has done refurbishing the cabins of the older jets is top notch - the average passenger will not be able to guess how old their MD-90 is by judging the interior. Buying older airplanes has worked for Delta - just because other airlines splurge millions of dollars on new aircraft doesn't mean there isn't an alternative route.

And I'm sorry, but how exactly is Atlanta a "second rate" city? Not that the location really matters since most traffic is connecting. Delta runs a profitable and impressive operation here, with over 1,000 flights a day.

Finally, each sub-fleet serves a specific purpose in the network. Delta doesn't just operate a whole load of different aircraft types to keep enthusiasts happy.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

lebda

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:19 am

I like them! I'm not sure why people are so angry. I mean, they're better than the boring funeral-esque uniforms most airlines in the U.S. have now. The gloves and cape coat are a nice touch.
Denver Tower: Gulfstream 592, you’re cleared to 9,000 feet. For a vector to Hector, contact the sector director.

ual777newpaint

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:42 am

I see a lot of negativity in this thread, but it's only natural for people to initially dislike new things. These changes, like any, will take some getting used to, but I think it will ultimately be a boon for Delta and its employees. Sure, their color palette doesn't currently include purple, but that is an easy change. Brands are constantly evolving, and the addition of another color to the interior of Delta's mostly blue-and-white (read: sterile) fleet will help to add some visual interest. I can easily see the airline adding some additional purple elements, like blankets, napkins, shelf-stable food packages, etc.

I'll concede that the apron and the epaulets are god awful, and I'm also not sure what to think of the lack of lapels. However, I think the rest of the items look great, and they still have another year or so to make tweaks. Delta has worked very hard to ensure that they have some of the most consistent, cohesive branding of any domestic airline, and I'm not particularly worried that they will suddenly dilute this with ugly uniforms that clash with the rest of their brand.
318 319 320 320N 321 333 343 346 359 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 744 752 753 762 763 76E 764 77A 77E 773 789 CRJ CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 F50 F70 MD88 MD90 DL UA WN B6 TK US U2 KL EQ MU SK GK VY AF AM KE XL KN CZ VS 3U CM CA 7P SC

cjg225

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:13 pm

ual777newpaint wrote:
I see a lot of negativity in this thread, but it's only natural for people to initially dislike new things. These changes, like any, will take some getting used to, but I think it will ultimately be a boon for Delta and its employees. Sure, their color palette doesn't currently include purple, but that is an easy change. Brands are constantly evolving, and the addition of another color to the interior of Delta's mostly blue-and-white (read: sterile) fleet will help to add some visual interest. I can easily see the airline adding some additional purple elements, like blankets, napkins, shelf-stable food packages, etc.

I'll concede that the apron and the epaulets are god awful, and I'm also not sure what to think of the lack of lapels. However, I think the rest of the items look great, and they still have another year or so to make tweaks. Delta has worked very hard to ensure that they have some of the most consistent, cohesive branding of any domestic airline, and I'm not particularly worried that they will suddenly dilute this with ugly uniforms that clash with the rest of their brand.

A color palette change tends to be a big deal. If it really is as simple as "blue + red == purple," then I can at least see the rationale, but I still disagree because it's not the immediate connection to make when the brand's colors have been these colors forever.

Simply adding a color doesn't really make any sense, either. If they're going to change the color scheme of the interiors, then inject some more red.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

MIflyer12

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:09 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

Delta execs, proft-sharing participants, and shareholders are laughing at you all the way to the bank.

LawAndOrder

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:30 pm

cjg225 wrote:
ual777newpaint wrote:

A color palette change tends to be a big deal. If it really is as simple as "blue + red == purple," then I can at least see the rationale, but I still disagree because it's not the immediate connection to make when the brand's colors have been these colors forever.

Simply adding a color doesn't really make any sense, either. If they're going to change the color scheme of the interiors, then inject some more red.

Maybe we should do research like Zac did, Delta has had a wide variety of uniform colors. JetBlue was initially blue white with splashes of green. Then they give their workers items that are ORANGE. Quantas added Pink to their uniforms which is no where near red and white. The initial Pan Am uniforms didn't match the interior. Who cares. If you look at any of the pictures of Zac shadowing the workers. He wore the range of colors to see which complimented the interior. ::::::::::::pivot::::: That signature dress would look nice in a which red (dark red appearing in the widget) You can stand out without having a loud color on.

LH748

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:11 pm

I think this looks very good although also like the current uniforms.
Big plus that DL is not using some super thin/muscular all-caucasian models to present the new uniforms but really lives diversity.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

Varsity1

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:59 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Delta execs, proft-sharing participants, and shareholders are laughing at you all the way to the bank.

Your comment is sophomoric and the strategy is short sighted. Margins will be gross when oil goes up.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Dalmd88

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:41 pm

While I admire Ed Bastian, I don't like the "think outside the box" when it comes to something I have to wear every day. If he wants to wear a purple Willie Wonka shirt every day, good for him. I don't like the idea being forced on me. I still think the zipper on the polo shirt is stupid. Looks like something from 1972. When do the pilots get the purple coats? They have worn the same thing for 50 years.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos