Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jnev3289

Re: New DL Uniforms

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:04 am

n7371f wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
I really don't mind them in a vacuum but it really doesn't say Delta at all. If you put them in front of any number of regular passengers they would have zero clue they worked for Delta. A very puzzling move in my opinion.

About as dated as Alaska's interiors, designed in 1989.

Is that supposed to offend me? I agree, I'm excited to see if they match any interior features with their new branding.

questions

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:33 am

I think the new uniforms look great for the most part. I like that DL moved away from blue uniforms. I think most employees will feel good about the new uniforms they will wear to work and their affiliation to Delta.

I do think the men's jacket looks awkward and can't imagine that the guys would want to wear it.

I wonder if the color palette of the cabins will change. The uniforms clash with all the blue cabin elements.

fanoftristars

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:22 pm

For those who say this "passport purple" isn't part of the brand, I have a sneaking suspicion that we will see more and more of this color as we near the 2018 official rollout. There is already purple accents in the new concourse B Sky Club at ATL. I'd look for more of this in the coming year.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:41 pm

vhtje wrote:
I want to say at the outset that I state this as a non-American, therefore my perception may be off.

But... isn't Land's End a former Sears label? Therefore, it is a bit (read: a lot) downmarket? In contrast, Delta London uses Vivienne Westwood, but Delta uses... Sears.

Ew.

Actually, Land's End is an upscale marketer of VERY well made clothes. They make uniforms for many schools and business, all made in Wisconsin not farmed out to Bangladesh or China. They have been around a long time and I buy from them frequently. Sears purchased Land's End a few years ago and had the good sense to leave them alone to do what they do best. You can purchase some of their items in Sears stores but quality-wise they are up there with L. L. Bean. And they are certainly NOT cheap. Their casual clothes last for years. I have some of their mesh polo shirts that are over ten years old and still look great.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:43 pm

fanoftristars wrote:
For those who say this "passport purple" isn't part of the brand, I have a sneaking suspicion that we will see more and more of this color as we near the 2018 official rollout. There is already purple accents in the new concourse B Sky Club at ATL. I'd look for more of this in the coming year.

Wait for the unveiling of the new A350 interiors.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

CanadaFair

Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Look more suited to Hawaiian, that shade of grey dosent work, Emirates had ir on men in the 90s and they did not look good.

flymco753

Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:16 pm

I'm very disappointed with the new uniforms personally, I was expecting something more of the lines with the new blue winter gear released not too long ago, the whole BW ACS uniform definitely is not as "stylish" as they said it was going to be. What about that plum purple for the FA's and the grey for the male FA's? How in any way does that reflect the brand? Red white and blue aircraft with grey and purple agents and FA's? I don't get it.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

LawAndOrder

Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:31 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I'm very disappointed with the new uniforms personally, I was expecting something more of the lines with the new blue winter gear released not too long ago, the whole BW ACS uniform definitely is not as "stylish" as they said it was going to be. What about that plum purple for the FA's and the grey for the male FA's? How in any way does that reflect the brand? Red white and blue aircraft with grey and purple agents and FA's? I don't get it.

Hasn't Delta always been red white and blue. They have had YELLOW, LIGHT BLUE, GREEN, PINK, MAROON, PURPLE, GREY and BLACK uniforms to name a few. They should just make a basic United States uniform and let every US airline wear it so we all can be uniformed :roll:

tlecam

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:09 pm

I do think that the light grey suit may not work well for everyone. That color suit is beautiful, but in paler complexions, it can wash people out. That's one reason why the traditional navy or charcoal are more common. I would have expected to se some flavor of navy blue - some of the shades of blue that aren't quite so dark have become quite popular in recent years.

I don't have any issues with the purple - I was in the new ATL B terminal sky club recently and it's there too in the accents. I expect we will see more of it as several folks have mentioned.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

CanadaFair

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:08 pm

There are quite a few airlines whose cabins, accessories and livery dont match the uniforms in any way, but if colour coordination is necessary these would be great for Hawaiian.

Delta could swap the blue for passport purple in their livery and interiors for it to be right to those complaining.

I like the uniforms and colours except the shade of grey for the suits.

ozark1

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:28 pm

I am mixed about the uniforms. I actually really like the plum/purple or whatever you want to call it. I am not crazy about the men's grey. It looks kind of odd and uncomfortable. I think the new AA uniform has them beat in the male department. I just like something different than the navy and the plum accomplishes that. But what I must praise DL for in the highest manor is, unlike AA, they do not use just young, model looking (and often times actual models) to show the line off. I am very impressed with their all inclusiveness.

flyboy80

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Would it be so strange to see Delta launch a rebranding in the next year? Won't they be taking delivery of many aircraft and retiring older ones anyway in the coming few years? Perhaps they plan a brand refresh that maintains a lot of the current, such as the logo and fonts, but a completely new paint job styling along with interiors. It still seems like it would be terribly expensive, especially because they've been putting new seat covers on Comfort plus for over a year, and installing new "sky diamond" patterns on bulkheads etc. But I think something is up. Sure other airlines may have uniforms that don't necessarily match the brand colors perfectly, but this uniform almost clashes with it. I've looked at the uniforms in the white walled and blue seat cabin and its way off. Would a new livery be announced with the A350 perhaps?

CanadaFair

Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:21 pm

They could simply change the dark blue to purple on current livery, depending on the shade they use it will look almost blue from a distance, Virgin Atlantic had that colour in their 2000 to 2006 livery and i always thought it was blue.

flyboy80

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:56 pm

I guess if I envision a rebranding it will be still very much based on blue and red, but perhaps accents where they overlap with the plum color. Alaska's new livery has layered colors as well. I could see something with DL thats similar and provides a small amount of plumb. Would be interesting to see what they are planning. I like the grey headrests in Delta one on the new A350. It breaks up the city-bus blue they use which I think is super cheap and dirty looking as it ages.

flymco753

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:39 am

flyboy80 wrote:
I guess if I envision a rebranding it will be still very much based on blue and red, but perhaps accents where they overlap with the plum color.
Maybe they'll paint the wingtips or something purple, something to incorporate the colors of the uniform to the reflection of the brand. Basically I'm confused, DL brand = red, white and blue. Why purple and grey?
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

flyboy80

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:23 am

flymco753 wrote:
flyboy80 wrote:
I guess if I envision a rebranding it will be still very much based on blue and red, but perhaps accents where they overlap with the plum color.
Maybe they'll paint the wingtips or something purple, something to incorporate the colors of the uniform to the reflection of the brand. Basically I'm confused, DL brand = red, white and blue. Why purple and grey?

Thats just it, the contrast seem too much and why I feel there might be bigger changes in the near future. Lots of airlines have rebranded in the last few years although they were much older than what Delta has now. It would be interesting to see how many new airplanes will be arriving as well as how many aircraft in the aging fleet will need to be painted since they were initially repainted during the merger. Introducing a new livery will perhaps be cost effective way at elevating and promoting their brand in the way they have become famous for post merger. And if not I guess those uniforms will look more or less out of place on the airplanes and in the terminals.

aloha73g

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:56 am

There is no rule that your uniforms have to use the same color(s) as your logo, or the same colors you used previously. Many airlines have accent colors that are featured on uniforms that don't appear in their logo (B6's orange, QF's hot pink, HA's bright blue). Delta's historical uniforms are literally every color in the rainbow.

I found this info directly from a DL executive:

The new collection is chic and classy, to be sure. Cuts hark back to the glamour of the golden age of flying, and the high-tech fabrics and detailing were apparent even from the pit. But the big surprise? Purple, purple everywhere—or rather, “passport plum” and “thistle”—injecting a serious dose of freshness to the storied brand. And according to Tim Mapes, Delta’s SVP of marketing, we may start seeing more of it—in napkins or Sky Club pillows, say. “When you saw our employees reaction,” Mapes said of feedback on sample colors, “they didn’t want close. They didn’t want iterative change; they wanted transformative change.”

And Zac Posen:
How did the purple—excuse me, plum—come about?
All the original colors are there but there’s an additional element with the plum. [Delta] really wanted to go with this color, and it worked. We built it and we tweaked it—they wanted a color that would pop in the Delta brand setting, not look like they were a part of the furniture. It’s a bipartisan color. Most of the airlines, we found when we did the research, were navy—there’s so much dark navy. Delta wanted something special.

from: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/style/de ... -uniforms/
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Byron1976

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:05 am

I like them. They're like a blend between classic for cabin crew/and modern to ground staff.