User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4684
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
User avatar
787fan8
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm sure BNA or STL will be BA's next US destination after MSY.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate
 
slinky09
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Or should we say resumes (BA flew LGW-MSY-MEX between 81 and 82)?
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:56 pm

It's a great day not only for New Orleans but also for the entire Gulf Coast region. A lot of effort was put into this to make it happen. Very glad it did. Now MSY will be connected year-round to three key INTL hubs (LHR, PTY, YYZ) and seasonally to four (FRA).

BNA and STL are no brainers for future LON service. Both are unique, fun, dynamic cities.
Spread hope like fire.
 
commavia
Posts: 11489
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Awesome - the potential of the 787, on display yet again.

Let's hope PIT, BNA and STL are next for BA 787s to LHR, plus maybe DTW and even IND and CMH down the road.
Last edited by commavia on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:01 pm

In a different discussion it was stated that MSY was the largest unserved market to London. I believe that is wildly inaccurate. There are many larger markets without service to London or Europe for that matter. New Orleans is the 46th ranked market by population with about a dozen cities with no European service ahead of it. It is the 51st ranked media market, 41st market by GDP, and 204th market by average household income. Baton Rouge, Louisiana has the highest income by household in the state and it ranks at just 141. So it is safe to rule out any one of these items as the reason MSY got service. If I had a guess, I would assume BA received guarantees from some local businesses combined with some significant incentives offered by the airport authority and/or the city. Does anyone have the details on the incentives offered to BA to start the service?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12589
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:01 pm

slinky09 wrote:
Or should we say resumes (BA flew LGW-MSY-MEX between 81 and 82)?

BA resumes, but Heathrow is technically an all-new route.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:03 pm

commavia wrote:
Awesome - the potential of the 787, on display yet again.


Somehow I have yet to see a 787 despite having been to ATL, DTW, AMS and FRA. I've seen plenty of A380's but no 787.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12589
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Indy wrote:
In a different discussion it was stated that MSY was the largest unserved market to London. I believe that is wildly inaccurate. There are many larger markets without service to London or Europe for that matter. New Orleans is the 46th ranked market by population with about a dozen cities with no European service ahead of it. It is the 51st ranked media market, 41st market by GDP, and 204th market by average household income. Baton Rouge, Louisiana has the highest income by household in the state and it ranks at just 141. So it is safe to rule out any one of these items as the reason MSY got service. If I had a guess, I would assume BA received guarantees from some local businesses combined with some significant incentives offered by the airport authority and/or the city.

You, with this, again?

EVERYTHING you've stated as a reason (for whatever inane point you're still attempting/failing to "prove") has fallen flat on its face.

Why do you think restating them for the impteenth time, is going to somehow have a different effect?
....there's a word for that you know. :roll:



Indy wrote:
Does anyone have the details on the incentives offered to BA to start the service?

2yrs waived fees + $1.4M in marketing.
Nothing out of the ordinary.
Last edited by LAX772LR on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
msycajun
Posts: 1083
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Indy wrote:
In a different discussion it was stated that MSY was the largest unserved market to London. I believe that is wildly inaccurate. There are many larger markets without service to London or Europe for that matter. New Orleans is the 46th ranked market by population with about a dozen cities with no European service ahead of it. It is the 51st ranked media market, 41st market by GDP, and 204th market by average household income. Baton Rouge, Louisiana has the highest income by household in the state and it ranks at just 141. So it is safe to rule out any one of these items as the reason MSY got service. If I had a guess, I would assume BA received guarantees from some local businesses combined with some significant incentives offered by the airport authority and/or the city. Does anyone have the details on the incentives offered to BA to start the service?


Dude, it's been explained clearly that MSY has greater demand to Europe and London than any other unserved US city. Population and GDP alone do not equate to European travel demand. For example, the San Antonio metro is larger than Austin, but it was Austin that got the BA service. The MSY metro is similar in size to the RDU metro and RDU has supported LHR for years and now has daily CDG service as well. By the way MSY regularly gets charter flights to Europe, including over half a dozen to the UK this December alone. Filling up a 788 to LHR four times a week will be no problem whatsoever
 
Tedd
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:22 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:14 pm

All concerned from New Orleans who negotiated for this service should be congratulated
for all their hard work & persistence in light of losing out last year. I hope this region of the
USA will only benefit from this & the Frankfurt flight, & hopefully bring some good fortune to
a region that has had terrible misfortune in the past. Well done to the airlines too!
 
fjhc
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Indy wrote:
In a different discussion it was stated that MSY was the largest unserved market to London. I believe that is wildly inaccurate. There are many larger markets without service to London or Europe for that matter. New Orleans is the 46th ranked market by population with about a dozen cities with no European service ahead of it. It is the 51st ranked media market, 41st market by GDP, and 204th market by average household income. Baton Rouge, Louisiana has the highest income by household in the state and it ranks at just 141. So it is safe to rule out any one of these items as the reason MSY got service. If I had a guess, I would assume BA received guarantees from some local businesses combined with some significant incentives offered by the airport authority and/or the city. Does anyone have the details on the incentives offered to BA to start the service?


MSY is also a tourist destination... there's more to a choosing where to fly to than simply how many people live in a city. There are more people in New Orleans than many of BA's Caribbean destinations, for example.

Good for BA and MSY in making this happen. The 787 is a great plane for BA, here's hopeing more interesting new routes spring up too!
 
Nola
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Maybe this will mean that DL drops some fares on one-stops to Europe.... that would be nice!
 
usflyer123
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:19 pm

very nice! most of the business traffic is energy related?
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...
 
User avatar
hotelbravo
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:56 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Don't forget MSY hosts many congresses and symposia, some attracting thousands of business travelers per event.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3274
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 pm

commavia wrote:
maybe DTW
I believe DTW will come back, Detroit isn't relying as much on the auto companies like they did because more Fortune-500 companies are moving in there, so if BA could land a contract with a few of them, most likely an auto supplier (parts and what not) it'll work. The DTW-LHR market has really strengthened since the recession, so yeah I can see it by 2020.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
EVERYTHING you've stated as a reason (for whatever inane point you're still attempting/failing to "prove") has fallen flat on its face.

Why do you think restating them for the impteenth time, is going to somehow have a different effect?
....there's a word for that you know. :roll:



Indy wrote:
Does anyone have the details on the incentives offered to BA to start the service?

2yrs waived fees + $1.4M in marketing.
Nothing out of the ordinary.


Everything I stated in my quote was 100% true. And it was restated here because the old discussion was closed and without restating it a reply wouldn't have made sense.

In case anyone wants additional facts related to this story.

"More than 430 passengers a day travel from New Orleans to Western Europe by way of regional hubs like Atlanta, tourism officials say."
Source: http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... c71b5.html

And...

"Final terms of a Convention and Visitors Bureau agreement with British Airways are still being refined, Perry said, including significant marketing resources and "back stop" provisions that ensure the airline sees revenue from the flights. "
Source: http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/ ... _brit.html
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
DDR
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Congratulations to MSY! Always nice to see a new BA destination in the U.S.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:39 pm

Two options to get to Europe now from New Orleans! BA to LHR and DE to FRA (seasonally). This is excellent new for the entire Central Gulf Coast region. I am looking forward to flying both of these flights next year. Now the question is...who's next?
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:42 pm

787fan8 wrote:
I'm sure BNA or STL will be BA's next US destination after MSY.


I hope so! That puts MEM in a sweet spot between the three for the cheap asses of the world. Going by MSY's catchment area selling point, they mentioned Destin. That is a 4 hour drive to MSY thereabouts. Using that criteria MEM can boast of a catchment area of 8 million plus and if you extend that by 30 minutes and it 10 million and growing.
 
southsky
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:07 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Way to go, MSY!

And they didn't have to sell out much to do it, either.
 
Nola
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Here's the article from the New Orleans Advocate: http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... ft_amplify
 
WN732
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Indy wrote:
commavia wrote:
Awesome - the potential of the 787, on display yet again.


Somehow I have yet to see a 787 despite having been to ATL, DTW, AMS and FRA. I've seen plenty of A380's but no 787.


You need to get to LAX. I recently flew through there, and I saw many 787's. It was my first time seeing the 787 and A380 too. Plus there's a bunch of 748's that come through too. It's awesome.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5418
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Congrats.

A bit surprised about LHR VS LGW. However given the lack of service from Europe to New Orleans, BA might be counting in getting a lot of transfer passengers (which is not the case for places like Orlando or Lima - served from LGW - which have quite a few connections to Europe).

As for the comparisons with BNA or STL... just one word: tourism. New Orleans is at another level in international recognition when compared to any of those cities mentioned.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12589
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Indy wrote:
Everything I stated in my quote was 100% true.

And, as has been also told/shown to you multiple times by multiple people: non-correlative.

I'm truly starting to question your intelligence at this point, as it's NOT a difficult concept, at all.... yet you persist in arguing a dead end. :oops:



WaywardMemphian wrote:
Going by MSY's catchment area selling point, they mentioned Destin.

You might be surprised.

A good bit of MSY's international traffic flies in to drive the Gulf coast:
New Orleans for obvious reasons, then the Casinos in Gulfport/Biloxi, then Mobile bay, then Destin.
That's why all three of those metros had representation in the consortium that's been working with BA.

Some even continue all the way to TPA/MCO, and just fly outta there. It's not uncommon at all.
Especially for the international charters, when they're not meeting up with a ship.

Tourists on domestic ops from out west do it too. It was also a big marketing point aimed at securing AS' flight.
Last edited by LAX772LR on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:07 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
And, as has been also told/shown to you multiple times by multiple people: non-correlative.

I'm truly starting to question your intelligence at this point, as it's NOT a difficult concept, at all.... yet you persist in arguing a dead end. :oops:


What you provided was nothing but pure speculation. You fail to provide any kind of source. Unless you provide proof to back up your claims it is nothing more than your opinion on a subject. You aren't very good at this debate thing. How old are you? When things don't go your way you act immature and resort to insults. Usually a sign of a lack of maturity.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:10 pm

WN732 wrote:
You need to get to LAX. I recently flew through there, and I saw many 787's. It was my first time seeing the 787 and A380 too. Plus there's a bunch of 748's that come through too. It's awesome.


I have only been to LAX once in my life. I was flying IND-ATL-LAX-SAN on DL. We were late arriving in LAX and it was a sprint to catch the connecting flight. I mainly saw a tunnel. I didn't get a free minute to enjoy the scenery. The closest I've ever come to exploring that airport is Flight Sim :-)
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:10 pm

This is getting ridiculous.

Mods - suggest deletion of all posts by Indy. He's just stirring the pot for some unknown reason.
Spread hope like fire.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12589
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Indy wrote:
When things don't go your way you act immature and resort to insults.

I haven't insulted you.

I simply said that continuing to reiterate a flawed argument, even in RETROSPECT, makes me question your intelligence.

As you can see above, I'm not the only one, at this point.......
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 9670
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:20 pm

I'll say what I said in the other thread. LHR was a bad move. It should have been LGW. Here's why. The opportunity cost for an LHR slot pair is extremely high. It will be pretty much impossible for MSY to provide an adequate return for those slots. LGW would have had pretty much zero opportunity cost for the slots.
 
ANA787
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:31 pm

LHR will now be connected to 26 US cities, correct? Did I miss any? Does LHR serve more US cities than FRA?
MSY-starts 3/27 on BA
PDX-starts 5/26 on DL
SEA
SFO
SJC
LAX
SAN
PHX
LAS
SLC
DEN
DFW
IAH
AUS
ORD
MSP
DTW
ATL
MIA
CLT
PHL
IAD
PHL
JFK
EWR
BOS
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12589
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:31 pm

enilria wrote:
It will be pretty much impossible for MSY to provide an adequate return for those slots.

Except that you don't have access to the numbers to factually make that determination. At all.

They however, do. And they chose (what should be) the obviously optimal situation.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2260
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Great news for MSY and for the metro area of New Orleans and the surrounding area. Just curious...will this new service cut into the loads that BA is seeing out of DFW, ORD and MIA to LHR?
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2260
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:41 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
It's a great day not only for New Orleans but also for the entire Gulf Coast region. A lot of effort was put into this to make it happen. Very glad it did. Now MSY will be connected year-round to three key INTL hubs (LHR, PTY, YYZ) and seasonally to four (FRA).

BNA and STL are no brainers for future LON service. Both are unique, fun, dynamic cities.


Yeh for MSY, a favorite airport of mine! I can't wrap my mind around St.Louis being a fun and dynamic city.
 
gravytrain
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:41 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:16 pm

MSY acts as the main airport for a wider region and its a huge tourism magnet. Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Mobile, Biloxi, Gulfport, all decent sized areas. In comparison, the nearest international competition is 347 miles away.

It'll do just fine.
 
TAFFY51
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:29 pm

ANA787 wrote:
LHR will now be connected to 26 US cities, correct? Did I miss any? Does LHR serve more US cities than FRA?
MSY-starts 3/27 on BA
PDX-starts 5/26 on DL
SEA
SFO
SJC
LAX
SAN
PHX
LAS
SLC
DEN
DFW
IAH
AUS
ORD
MSP
DTW
ATL
MIA
CLT
PHL
IAD
PHL
JFK
EWR
BOS



And RDU on AA (with the Pharma contracts)
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5418
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:30 pm

And you wrote PHL twice... what about BWI?
 
Aramco737
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:36 pm

So happy for New Orleans and the surrounding Gulf Coast!
I'm already booked on the inaugural BA224 out of MSY.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12589
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:41 pm

Aramco737 wrote:
So happy for New Orleans and the surrounding Gulf Coast!
I'm already booked on the inaugural BA224 out of MSY.

Awesome! See you there!!

Can't wait. I've never done an inaugural before!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
FlyingSicilian
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:45 pm

Good for N'awlins.

It will be interesting to see how/if this affects the Houston flights. A small but significant number of NOLA oil pax connected through Houston (and DFW) on BA in biz
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14042
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:01 pm

gravytrain wrote:
MSY acts as the main airport for a wider region and its a huge tourism magnet. Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Mobile, Biloxi, Gulfport, all decent sized areas. In comparison, the nearest international competition is 347 miles away.

It'll do just fine.


I agree with your ultimate conclusion, but keep in mind that several of the cities being tossed around as LHR candidates are relatively isolated. Saint Louis is about 300 miles from ORD by road, and BNA is about 250 miles from ATL by road. Those are closer, but likely not enough closer that it made a big difference.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
gravytrain
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:41 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:10 pm

They will get their flights eventually. Might take some time, but it'll happen.
 
ElPresidente
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:22 pm

Have there been any talks at AA regarding opening an Admirals Club at MSY? I can't imagine having an international flight with paid business class and no lounge.
 
Capt.Fantastic
Posts: 855
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 1999 4:01 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:23 pm

Indy wrote:
What you provided was nothing but pure speculation. You fail to provide any kind of source. Unless you provide proof to back up your claims it is nothing more than your opinion on a subject. You aren't very good at this debate thing. How old are you? When things don't go your way you act immature and resort to insults. Usually a sign of a lack of maturity.


He provided plenty of evidence to back his argument. I'd say he's very good at debating because he's effectively proven that you're wrong. You've been presented with facts that, for whatever reason, you outrightly refuse to acknowledge. Didn't you promise to "eat crow" if BA announced LHR service? Well, bon appetite! Use cajun seasoning and enjoy that crow. And don't take it so personal: nobody insulted you. They just question your unwillingness to concede this argument. You were wrong, It's no big deal, move on.
 
coolian2
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:30 pm

WN732 wrote:
Indy wrote:
commavia wrote:
Awesome - the potential of the 787, on display yet again.


Somehow I have yet to see a 787 despite having been to ATL, DTW, AMS and FRA. I've seen plenty of A380's but no 787.


You need to get to LAX. I recently flew through there, and I saw many 787's. It was my first time seeing the 787 and A380 too. Plus there's a bunch of 748's that come through too. It's awesome.

Or come and sit in my front yard. I can promise you four A380s minimum and a bunch of NZ and LA 787s. Might even snag the odd JQ one.

Although be quick, I'm moving house soon and then you'll be stuck with P-3 Orions, C-130s and a surprising number of C-17s.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900
 
coolian2
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:31 pm

Also Indy, weren't you going to back down once BA officially announced service? Instead you're doubling down.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5413
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:37 pm

    ElPresidente wrote:

    Have there been any talks at AA regarding opening an Admirals Club at MSY? I can't imagine having an international flight with paid business class and no lounge.


    Probably not until the new terminal is up and running. Maybe MSY is building an airport operated Biz Lounge at the new terminal for anyone with a J or F ticket.
    "True, I talk of dreams,
    Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio
     
    User avatar
    enilria
    Posts: 9670
    Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

    Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

    Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:38 pm

    LAX772LR wrote:
    enilria wrote:
    It will be pretty much impossible for MSY to provide an adequate return for those slots.

    Except that you don't have access to the numbers to factually make that determination. At all.

    They however, do. And they chose (what should be) the obviously optimal situation.

    Based upon that assessment we should shut down airliners.net because all opinions are meaningless and everyone with actual company numbers who post them is committing an imprisonable offense.

    It's factual that MSY is not a high yield market. The numbers for that are publicly available. The opportunity cost for a slot at LHR is massively higher based upon public data on the cost of slot acquisition at LHR. That's enough to prove my case well enough.
     
    LHRFlyer
    Posts: 1021
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:50 pm

    Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

    Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:42 pm

    Great news. I'd be amazed if this isn't upgraded to a near daily service and/or a 777 within a year.

    Bet the crews are really looking forward to the layover as well!
     
    gravytrain
    Posts: 45
    Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:41 am

    Re: BA announces LHR-MSY

    Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:42 pm

    My only concern would be the seats up front. The general public will fill the bleachers and there won't be many empty seats overall

    New Orleans and the Gulf really needs to diversify its economy away from tourism and with the crash in oil, so one can only hope this is the sort of boost the region needs.

    I do understand the concerns, but to me the wider regional catchment area and the tourism draw will make the service work.

    Popular Searches On Airliners.net

    Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

    Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

    Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

    Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

    Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

    Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

    Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

    Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

    Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

    Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

    Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

    Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

    Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

    Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

    Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos