Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jfkflyer
Topic Author

LGA expansion

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:21 am

From the looks of the computer generated plans for the renewal or (Update) of KLGA, it seems there will be less gates than before the rebuild. Will this mean regional CRJ, ERJ and E-jets will be replaced with 717, 737 and a319/20 family aircraft to better utilise these gates?
INSTAGRAM : @KJFKSPOTTER

airliner371

Re: LGA expansion

Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:32 am

LaGuardia currently has 71 gates, 66 of those jetbridge gates (not including Terminal A). When completed, the entire new terminal complex (again not including A) will have 72 jetbridge gates and significantly more ramp space.

People don't seem to realize it but when all is said and done, LaGuardia is going to be a VERY NICE airport to fly from. Everything is being rebuilt, they will build an in airport hotel, they'll be building an AirTrain connecting it to the subway and they're building a new ferry service over at the Marine Air Terminal. This won't necessarily fix the delays because you still have to work with the NYC and Northeast airspace but operations should run significantly smoother once this project is complete.

http://news.delta.com/delta-partner-por ... evelopment
http://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governo ... ia-airport

Keep in mind, Delta has slightly changed the design of their terminal space. While it will still be one continuous terminal, the first link from Delta is the most updated design plans while the one in the LaGuardia videos were before Delta officially announced their redevelopment.

Sparrow787

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:06 pm

airliner371 wrote:
LaGuardia currently has 71 gates, 66 of those jetbridge gates (not including Terminal A). When completed, the entire new terminal complex (again not including A) will have 72 jetbridge gates and significantly more ramp space.

People don't seem to realize it but when all is said and done, LaGuardia is going to be a VERY NICE airport to fly from. Everything is being rebuilt, they will build an in airport hotel, they'll be building an AirTrain connecting it to the subway and they're building a new ferry service over at the Marine Air Terminal. This won't necessarily fix the delays because you still have to work with the NYC and Northeast airspace but operations should run significantly smoother once this project is complete

http://news.delta.com/delta-partner-por ... evelopment
http://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governo ... ia-airport

Keep in mind, Delta has slightly changed the design of their terminal space. While it will still be one continuous terminal, the first link from Delta is the most updated design plans while the one in the LaGuardia videos were before Delta officially announced their redevelopment.

Hey man, not to discredit you but I think they were considering scrapping the airtrain from the project. Is the plan still to connect woth the 7 train?

phatfarmlines

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:10 pm

I still don't get how the parking situation is going to be handled.

DTWPurserBoy

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:04 pm

LGA's problem is geographic. Unless the City of New York decides to relocated Rikers Island Prison (not likely) there is no additional land available. For more parking I guess they will have to go underground.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

global2

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:58 pm

Sparrow 787 wrote:
"Hey man, not to discredit you but I think they were considering scrapping the airtrain from the project. Is the plan still to connect woth the 7 train?[/quote]

Good question: there's been a lot of questions raised about the usefulness of building an airtrain that travels AWAY from Manhattan only to connect with the overburdened #7 train in Willet's Pt. (just one stop short of it's terminus). But this is transit planning for you coming from Governor Musclecar--easier and faster than taking another stab at extending the N Train from Astoria instead (his Dad tried that 25 years ago and was defeated by the NIMBY's). He also nixed the plans to have rail go over the new Tappan Zee Bridge--he is determined to open that thing while still in office, and adding rail would have made the whole project take a bit longer to complete.

747-600X

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:54 pm

All this rebuilding will do nothing to alleviate LGA's real problem: runway configuration. Sure, the terminals will be nice and shiny, but it will do nothing to reduce delays. They desperately need to untangle those runways.

mysterzip

Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:39 pm

747-600X wrote:
All this rebuilding will do nothing to alleviate LGA's real problem: runway configuration. Sure, the terminals will be nice and shiny, but it will do nothing to reduce delays. They desperately need to untangle those runways.

You're absolutely right. Not to get political here, but Cuomo is famous for publicizing ideas that aren't his. Kudos to him for pushing them through, but he happened to be at the right position, at the right time.

The Airtrain proposition is ludicrous. Maybe I'd understand if that Airtrain connected with the Astoria line/Manhattan, but there are way too many NIMBYs in Astoria/East Elmhurst to make it happen.

Finaly, the Moynihan station. He is trying to take credit for something he really didn't do and just like LaGuardia's new terminal, doesn't add any new capacity.

That being said, the new terminal is sorely needed and so is some breathing room at Penn, even without the additional capacity.

NYCRuss

Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:06 pm

global2 wrote:
Sparrow wrote:
"Hey man, not to discredit you but I think they were considering scrapping the airtrain from the project. Is the plan still to connect woth the 7 train?

Good question: there's been a lot of questions raised about the usefulness of building an airtrain that travels AWAY from Manhattan only to connect with the overburdened #7 train in Willet's Pt. (just one stop short of it's terminus). But this is transit planning for you coming from Governor Musclecar--easier and faster than taking another stab at extending the N Train from Astoria instead (his Dad tried that 25 years ago and was defeated by the NIMBY's). He also nixed the plans to have rail go over the new Tappan Zee Bridge--he is determined to open that thing while still in office, and adding rail would have made the whole project take a bit longer to complete.

The last time that an attempt was made to extend the Astoria El to Laguardia was near the end of Giuliani's tenure, when Pataki was governor. The local response was pitchforks and torches.

The new Tappan Zee Bridge is designed so that rail can be added later. My understanding is that doing so would have raised the price so much that the project might not have received funding.

I personally think that extending the subway to LGA is the best option. I think that the second best option is to build an AirTrain to Sunnyside, where it can be linked with the proposed LIRR station and the existing Queens Plaza subway station. If nether is feasible, then build an AirTrain to Flushing.

I'm not a fan of an AirTrain to Flushing but such an alignment provides an opportunity to link this LGA AirTrain with JFK's. This hasn't been discussed, but it should not be ignored. That would make traveling between these two airports easier, less expensive, and more reliable. I just don't want to see the price tag. :P

jfklganyc

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:27 pm

So has the AirTrain been scrapped?

They were pretty vocal about annoucing it. I know initial planning at Willets Point with Parks Engineers has already taken place.

Any real update?

Sparrow787

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:31 pm

NYCRuss wrote:
global2 wrote:
Sparrow wrote:
"Hey man, not to discredit you but I think they were considering scrapping the airtrain from the project. Is the plan still to connect woth the 7 train?

The last time that an attempt was made to extend the Astoria El to Laguardia was near the end of Giuliani's tenure, when Pataki was governor. The local response was pitchforks and torches.

The new Tappan Zee Bridge is designed so that rail can be added later. My understanding is that doing so would have raised the price so much that the project might not have received funding.

I personally think that extending the subway to LGA is the best option. I think that the second best option is to build an AirTrain to Sunnyside, where it can be linked with the proposed LIRR station and the existing Queens Plaza subway station. If nether is feasible, then build an AirTrain to Flushing.

I'm not a fan of an AirTrain to Flushing but such an alignment provides an opportunity to link this LGA AirTrain with JFK's. This hasn't been discussed, but it should not be ignored. That would make traveling between these two airports easier, less expensive, and more reliable. I just don't want to see the price tag. :P

I think that it even an airtrain that goes to woodside station would be ok, take a bus or two off the roads.
Now if they did build an airtrain hub at willets point like you said, connecting LGA and JFK would be nice, ot would also take a few shuttle buses off the roads and maybe alleviate that jam that is created entering the van wyck, although not even a miracle may fix that teaffic jam haha

STT757

Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:03 am

global2 wrote:
Sparrow 787 wrote:

The Tappan Zee Bridge rail portion was scrapped because of two things:

1. Cost
2. Gateway Tunnel.

Orange and Rockland County trains currently served by NJ Transit to Hoboken, under contract from Metro North, will use the new Hudson Gateway tunnels to access Manhattan. Governor Cuomo announced that NY State would split the cost 50/50 for their 3rd of the estimated $15 Billion. The other two thirds coming from the Feds and Port Authority. The Port Authority at their meeting Thursday announced they have applied for a low interest Federal loan to pay for the first part of the project, the new Portal Bridge. Construction on that project will begin in 2018, the construction of the actual new Gateway tunnel under the Hudson to Manhattan is planned to begin in 2020 and take 4-5 years to complete.

In Terms of Laguardia the best option has always been the N Train extension, despite the NIMBYs. The N/R Train route through Manhattan hits the best Business/Tourist stops in Manhattan (Upper East Side, Times Square, Herald Square, 14t street, NYU, SOHO, Canal Street, City Hall, World Trade Center). I work in Lower Manhattan and have been using the World Trade Center PATH hub for my commute, it's an amazing complex connected to so much under ground. It would really change the dynamics of the entire downtown if from the World Trade Center you could directly reach all three NYC airports, EWR via the PATH, LGA via the N/R train and JFK via a connection to the Atlantic Ave branch.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

ro1960

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:32 pm

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but there is an interesting concept called Rethink NYC whose purpose is "uni­fy­ing and recon­fig­ur­ing the City and the region’s dis­parate trans­porta­tion sys­tems into a sin­gle func­tion­ing net­work serv­ing the greater New York City area". It includes a pretty daring concept that includes closing and relocating Rikers Jail and expanding LGA to 4 runways (still crossing, though) with "an inter­modal trans­porta­tion hub in Port Morris, the Bronx. At Port Morris, pas­sen­gers will be able to trans­fer between the LGA air-train, Amtrak, com­muter rail, the New York City Subway, as well as local and regional bus routes".

http://www.rethinkstudio.org/newlga/#1467228004117-dd76e67d-9f15
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

NYCRuss

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:40 pm

ro1960 wrote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but there is an interesting concept called Rethink NYC whose purpose is "uni­fy­ing and recon­fig­ur­ing the City and the region’s dis­parate trans­porta­tion sys­tems into a sin­gle func­tion­ing net­work serv­ing the greater New York City area". It includes a pretty daring concept that includes closing and relocating Rikers Jail and expanding LGA to 4 runways (still crossing, though) with "an inter­modal trans­porta­tion hub in Port Morris, the Bronx. At Port Morris, pas­sen­gers will be able to trans­fer between the LGA air-train, Amtrak, com­muter rail, the New York City Subway, as well as local and regional bus routes".

There's a lot to like with that plan. My problem with it is that the best option, in my opinion, is to focus on one airport. If LGA could be expanded to replace JFK, I would be all for it. I don't think that it can.

I'd rather see JFK get a few more runways, improved rail access, and LGA closed. NIMBYs and environmentalists will make it tough to add runways at JFK. So we still need LGA.

micstatic

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:45 pm

airliner371 wrote:

People don't seem to realize it but when all is said and done, LaGuardia is going to be a VERY NICE airport to fly from. Everything is being rebuilt, they will build an in airport hotel, they'll be building an AirTrain connecting it to the subway and they're building a new ferry service over at the Marine Air Terminal. This won't necessarily fix the delays because you still have to work with the NYC and Northeast airspace but operations should run significantly smoother once this project is complete.

I definitely think it will be a nicer airport. But I just wonder if it's possible for the airport to be nice with the proposed layout. I don't really see the point of the hotel at LGA. AT JFK, for international flights it makes alot of sense. But for the typical manhattan business traveler, hotels close to the airport are not really an issue. The AirTrain is good in concept but not in this design. Connecting to get to manhattan. Not a good idea. Finally, as said before. Airfield configuration in an already bad airspace configuration. Just going to be impossible for this airport to really hold up to the ATL's, DTW's, DEN's, etc. The last issue I have is with how far money goes in NYC. The money NYC is spending on LGA would produce a Taj Mahal airport in other areas of the country.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

ro1960

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:50 pm

NYCRuss wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

There's a lot to like with that plan. My problem with it is that the best option, in my opinion, is to focus on one airport. If LGA could be expanded to replace JFK, I would be all for it. I don't think that it can.

I'd rather see JFK get a few more runways, improved rail access, and LGA closed. NIMBYs and environmentalists will make it tough to add runways at JFK. So we still need LGA.

I think these guys at Rethink Studios mainly propose a more integrated transit system that the NYC area lacks. The expansion of LGA would be facilitated by a better transit system. Currently it is rather limited and expanding LGA would not make sense if you couldn't get in and out of it easily. The proposed expansion would allow for larger aircraft, thus alleviating congestion and possibly opening long haul routes.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

blacksoviet

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:12 pm

They should tear down Madison Square Garden and rebuild the old Pennsylvania Railroad Station.

StTim

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:31 pm

NYCRuss wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

I thought it was just us Brits who had issues building new runways.

airliner371

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:44 am

blacksoviet wrote:
They should tear down Madison Square Garden and rebuild the old Pennsylvania Railroad Station.

They're building a new Penn Station and Port Authority Bus Terminal.

jfklganyc

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:15 am

airliner371 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Hahahahaha!

Yes they are building it. Called Moynihan Station after the Senator from the 70s and 80s. He was also rebuilding it back then. The new Bus Terminal just needs a site that gets approved in Midtown...that will happen quick.

NYCRuss

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:02 pm

ro1960 wrote:
NYCRuss wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

I think these guys at Rethink Studios mainly propose a more integrated transit system that the NYC area lacks. The expansion of LGA would be facilitated by a better transit system. Currently it is rather limited and expanding LGA would not make sense if you couldn't get in and out of it easily. The proposed expansion would allow for larger aircraft, thus alleviating congestion and possibly opening long haul routes.

While expanding LGA would help with congestion, it doesn't address one of the causes of congestion: LGA exists. The airspace is split up between the airports. If LGA was gone, JFK's airspace would increase.

JFK, however, can't really handle that much more traffic as is. It needs more runways. Those can be built in Jamaica Bay... in theory. That bay is now a national park and protected wetlands. It's possible to do if the wetlands are replaced. Provided such a project gets through the inevitable lawsuits by environmentalists. If it does get past that, it also has to get past the NIMBYs. No politician has the stomache for all that. So LGA gets expanded.

As far as integrated transit goes, that's a laudable goal. The Rethink proposal does a better job of doing that than what can be done at JFK, but it looks expensive. It includes a crosstown subway tunnel at 125th St., which might be by a geological fault line, and a subway extension of the 7 to New Jersey. For that money, the JFK AirTrain can be extended to Sunnyside Yard, and an LGA AirTrain can be built to do the same. There would be billions left to enhance JFK. Perhaps freight rail to JFK. Maybe try to build a runway or two in Jamaica Bay.

There might even be enough money to build rail over the new Tappan Zee Bridge, and connect it to SWF. A one seat ride on Metro North from Grand Central to Stewart would certainly help to alleviate congestion.

I think that what Rethink did is an excellent thought experiment in that it gets people talking. I just don't think that it's the best way to spend money to improve transportation.

StTim wrote:

You Brits have nothing over us Americans in getting nothing done.

scutfarcus

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:58 pm

Loving everything I've seen about LGA these days except one thing: GROUND TRANSPORTATION.

The current AirTrain plan is a complete disgrace that will cost a gazillion dollars and accomplish nothing. The AirTrain needs to go west and connect directly with the Subway, ideally at Astoria or better yet, Queens Plaza. Even better, lets get some legitimate bus lanes so there can be express busses from Manhattan. Anything else is already too clogged to be of any use.

LU9092

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:18 pm

NYCRuss wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
NYCRuss wrote:

While expanding LGA would help with congestion, it doesn't address one of the causes of congestion: LGA exists. The airspace is split up between the airports. If LGA was gone, JFK's airspace would increase.

JFK, however, can't really handle that much more traffic as is. It needs more runways. Those can be built in Jamaica Bay... in theory. That bay is now a national park and protected wetlands. It's possible to do if the wetlands are replaced. Provided such a project gets through the inevitable lawsuits by environmentalists. If it does get past that, it also has to get past the NIMBYs. No politician has the stomache for all that. So LGA gets expanded.

As far as integrated transit goes, that's a laudable goal. The Rethink proposal does a better job of doing that than what can be done at JFK, but it looks expensive. It includes a crosstown subway tunnel at 125th St., which might be by a geological fault line, and a subway extension of the 7 to New Jersey. For that money, the JFK AirTrain can be extended to Sunnyside Yard, and an LGA AirTrain can be built to do the same. There would be billions left to enhance JFK. Perhaps freight rail to JFK. Maybe try to build a runway or two in Jamaica Bay.

There might even be enough money to build rail over the new Tappan Zee Bridge, and connect it to SWF. A one seat ride on Metro North from Grand Central to Stewart would certainly help to alleviate congestion.

I think that what Rethink did is an excellent thought experiment in that it gets people talking. I just don't think that it's the best way to spend money to improve transportation.

StTim wrote:

You Brits have nothing over us Americans in getting nothing done.

Given the choice, I much prefer to see LGA expanded rather than JFK. It's far more convenient to get to from the city and from the more densely populated areas of Brooklyn and Queens. And it's the only airport of its size I've used where I can be in a cab and on my way 15 minutes after landing. JFK can be a half hour ride from the city, or it can be three hours, and you never really know which until you're on the road. The Van Wyck is an absolute nightmare. You haven't lived until you've spent two hours on that "expressway" having to pee worse than you have in your entire life. JFK needs a single seat ride on the LIRR to both Downtown or Midtown, otherwise LGA, even without transit, will be faster and more convenient for a good chunk of NYC's people.

blacksoviet

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:09 am

jfklganyc wrote:
airliner371 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Hahahahaha!

Yes they are building it. Called Moynihan Station after the Senator from the 70s and 80s. He was also rebuilding it back then. The new Bus Terminal just needs a site that gets approved in Midtown...that will happen quick.

What will happen to the old Port Authority Bus Terminal?

airliner371

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:40 am

blacksoviet wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
airliner371 wrote:

Hahahahaha!

What will happen to the old Port Authority Bus Terminal?

The same thing that's happening to the old Tappen Zee Bridge and the old LaGuardia Airport... it's gonna be demolished.

varsity

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:27 pm

global2 wrote:
He also nixed the plans to have rail go over the new Tappan Zee Bridge--he is determined to open that thing while still in office, and adding rail would have made the whole project take a bit longer to complete.

As someone who has to transverse said bridge, this KILLS me. BTW I'm taking bets that ole' Malcom loses his name and Andrew's takes its place.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos