Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ahj2000
Topic Author

What alliance-capable airlines are left??

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:33 am

^.
Basically, which airlines are left that could be members of one of the big three alliances? (Fullservice, network, large enough to be a realistic add)

My immediate thoughts are:
PAL
Royal Air Maroc
The Virgin airlines
Etihad
Air Serbia
Jet
Oman
-Andrés Juánez

Corpsnerd09

Re: What alliance-capable airlines are left??

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:40 am

Hainan?

Or have they joined an alliance already?

NYCRuss

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:51 am

Corpsnerd09 wrote:
Hainan?

HA is not in an alliance. They're a perfect fit for oneworld. There's just the small problem of CX not letting HA in purportedly because of HX.

NYCRuss

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:53 am

EK is definitely "alliance-capable," but they won't join one.

intotheair

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:58 am

I'd love to know what the actual criteria are for joining alliances. But in theory, I would imagine airlines like B6, AS, and HA would qualify.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

BestWestern

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:58 am

Hainan, Hawaiian, Jet Blue, Malindo, Batik, Bangkok Airlines, Lingus, Hong Kong Airlines, Sichuan.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

rufusmi

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:59 am

Would EY consider joining Star now that LH seems to be cozying up to them? I would also expect VS to join SkyTeam at some point due to the DL JV, and Virgin Australia could fit in SkyTeam as well. I could also see Royal Air Maroc in oneworld, as they partner extensively with QR, as well as the IAG airlines, and are set to use IAG Avios as their frequent flyer program.

DeltaB717

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:08 am

NYCRuss wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:
Hainan?

HA is not in an alliance. They're a perfect fit for oneworld. There's just the small problem of CX not letting HA in purportedly because of HX.

Just to clarify and avoid confusion with another alliance-capable airline, Hainan is actually HU.

hongkongflyer

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:34 am

NYCRuss wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:
Hainan?

The only solution will be either CA join OW and HU join SA or CX move to CA then HU join OW

NYCRuss

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:34 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
NYCRuss wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:
Hainan?

Just to clarify and avoid confusion with another alliance-capable airline, Hainan is actually HU.

DOH!!!

NYCRuss

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:37 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
NYCRuss wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:
Hainan?

The only solution will be either CA join OW and HU join SA or CX move to CA then HU join OW

If CX joined *A, would SQ stay? If not, this could work out well for OW. OW loses CX, but could gain SQ, HU, HX, and maybe UK.

C010T3

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:39 am

WestJet, airBaltic, Gol, Azul, Sky Airline.

seat1a

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:45 am

Alaska

Freshside3

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:46 am

PS could, in a few years.....just not now......

Varsity1

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:33 am

Alaska is definitely and odd man out.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Rajahdhani

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:19 am

NYCRuss wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:
NYCRuss wrote:

DOH!!!

What does Doha have to do with this? Haha!

Even in error, you were correct though; HA (Hawaiian) is not part of an alliance either, and might actually be best fitted into OneWorld (as AA is weakest on the West Coast, compared to DL with SEA, and UA with SFO, and all three competing at LAX).

PIA (if/when they get their act together) (and/or, with future potential, AirBlue to another alliance); dependent upon liberalization of the Iranian aviation market.
AirTahiti Nui (or, on the other side of the globe AirCaraibes), and their access to France as a stalwart against the AF/KLM SkyTeam presence with a strong partner to help them.
JetAirways
AirAlgerie (leaning towards SkyTeam)
IranAir (and/or, with future potential, Mahan Air to another alliance); dependent upon liberalization of the Iranian aviation market.
GulfAir (though for which one, I am not sure. EK, EY and even KU would be more probable though...)
ElAl (though, likely much more profitable, and 'politically sensitive/correct' to remain unaligned).
Royal Air Maroc (OneWorld would benefit most, and with QR's investment - we will likely see this one pull towards OneWorld).

Does the carrier have to offer 'first class' to be considered 'full service'?
If not;
Icelandair
WestJet
AirTransat
Alaska (and/or VX)
JetBlue
Southwest
Caribbean Airlines
AirMalta

stlgph

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:17 am

Icelandair, Air Transat and Caribbean would have nothing to gain in an alliance.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

EA CO AS

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:36 am

Rajahdhani wrote:
Does the carrier have to offer 'first class' to be considered 'full service'?
If not;

Alaska (and/or VX)
JetBlue

I'd suggest you do some research on these carriers, as all offer an F product, on all (AS/VX) or many (B6) flights.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Dutchy

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:42 am

rufusmi wrote:
Would EY consider joining Star now that LH seems to be cozying up to them? I would also expect VS to join SkyTeam at some point due to the DL JV, and Virgin Australia could fit in SkyTeam as well. I could also see Royal Air Maroc in oneworld, as they partner extensively with QR, as well as the IAG airlines, and are set to use IAG Avios as their frequent flyer program.

EY is also cosy with Skyteam, KLM, Air France etc.

Speaking of which, is JET Airways in an alliance, otherwise they would be a perfect fit for Skyteam, important growth marked.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Alexdk

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:59 am

Emirates
Hainan
GOL
WestJet
Etihad
Virgin Australia
Jet
Azul
Philippine
UTair
RAM
El AL
Oman
Mahan
Virgin Atlantic
Air Algérie
Ukraine International
Ural
Gulf
Icelandair
PIA
Bangkok
Iran
VIM
Air Macau
Arik Air
Yamal

n729pa

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:10 am

Aer Lingus - we must assume they will join OW shortly
Royal Brunei
Kuwait Airways
Iran Air
Fiji Airways

Alexdk

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:48 pm

I can even think about a new alliance which can be called "Jet"
Interjet
JetBlue
Westjet
Jet Airways

a380787

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:51 pm

The better description should be "alliance-worthy". Listing every non-aligned under the sun doesn't help the discussion here.

azjubilee

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:54 pm

NYCRuss wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:
Hainan?

Just curious what you mean by this? Why would HX (I think you mean HU) have some sort of veto power?

winginit

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:57 pm

With as robust as cross-alliance bilateral agreements are these days from reciprocal FFP to full on anti-trust immunized joint ventures, is there a real incentive to join an alliance for those not already aligned? I'm struggling to pinpoint a tangible benefit given the costs and at times restrictions associated with joining an alliance, and actually see greater benefit in some cases to carriers leaving their current alliance. CZ/KE leaving Sky, CX leaving OW, etc.

winginit

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:57 pm

azjubilee wrote:
NYCRuss wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:
Hainan?

Just curious what you mean by this? Why would HX (I think you mean HU) have some sort of veto power?

CX would have veto power to HU joining oneworld because HU has been pushing to launch HX in and out of HKG.

NYCRuss

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:03 pm

azjubilee wrote:
NYCRuss wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:
Hainan?

CX has veto power. HU has a substantial equity stake in HX. HX is a direct competitor to CX. Supposedly CX won't let HU into *O as long as HU owns part of HX.

azjubilee

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:30 pm

NYCRuss wrote:
azjubilee wrote:
NYCRuss wrote:

CX has veto power. HU has a substantial equity stake in HX. HX is a direct competitor to CX. Supposedly CX won't let HU into *O as long as HU owns part of HX.

Ok... I think you used HA by mistake in your original comment, which is why I was asking. I was confused as to what CX and HU had to do with HA (Hawaiian) joining OW.

NYCRuss

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:33 pm

azjubilee wrote:
NYCRuss wrote:
azjubilee wrote:

Ok... I think you used HA by mistake in your original comment, which is why I was asking. I was confused as to what CX and HU had to do with HA (Hawaiian) joining OW.

Yeah, I did use HA by mistake. Sorry for the confusion.

cybergus

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:35 pm

What about Air Astana and Uzbekistan Airways? I could see them fit either in OW or ST. Also Interjet...seems to be leaning towards OW to fill the void left by Mexicana.

Is Aer Lingus finally joining OW?
LAN Excellence in Flight

seabosdca

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:41 pm

I think it would be counterproductive for AS to join an alliance; it relies on multiple partnerships with airlines from different alliances. Until Delta started trying to build up Seattle it seemed like AS was drifting toward being a de facto member of Skyteam, but now OneWorld seems dominant. With Delta doing what it's doing I wouldn't be surprised to see AS also start cooperating with UA and/or some other Star carriers.

OzarkD9S

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:02 pm

seabosdca wrote:

I think it would be counterproductive for AS to join an alliance; it relies on multiple partnerships with airlines from different alliances. Until Delta started trying to build up Seattle it seemed like AS was drifting toward being a de facto member of Skyteam, but now OneWorld seems dominant. With Delta doing what it's doing I wouldn't be surprised to see AS also start cooperating with UA and/or some other Star carriers.

When the DL/AS codeshare runs out in "I think" 2018 we may see some action on the alliance front for AS. Then again, what they're doing now works well for them. It seems like every non-Skyteam intercontinental flight that serves SEA has some sort of interline/codeshare/FF deal with AS now. But if AS did join one it would almost certainly be OW since they seem more laid back in regards to non-alliance cooperation than *Star does. Outside of Alaska and some PNW markets I dont see what AS and UA would cooperate on that much.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

DFW789ER

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:22 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Alaska is definitely and odd man out.

They don't need an alliance. They seem to be doing quite well with these code shares, no * carriers, but not a bad line-up:

Codeshare Partners

AeroMexico
Air France
American Airlines
Cathay Pacific
Delta Air Lines
Emirates
Fiji Airways
Icelandair
KLM
Korean Air
LAN
PenAir
Qantas
Ravn Alaska

VX321

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:25 pm

for * Alliance
-Air Astana( there was some talk about it)
for OneWorld
-RAM
-Aer Lingus
-Interjet
for SkyTeam
Uzbekistan Airways (there was some talk between the two)
-Virgin Atlantic
-Virgin Australia

alliance worthy or soon to be
Iran Air
Mahan Air
Jet Airways
Erik Air (would love to see them in OW)
JetBlue
Oman Air
Gulf Air
El Al
Kuwait Airways
TAAG

hoo8myryce

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:34 am

winginit wrote:
With as robust as cross-alliance bilateral agreements are these days from reciprocal FFP to full on anti-trust immunized joint ventures, is there a real incentive to join an alliance for those not already aligned? I'm struggling to pinpoint a tangible benefit given the costs and at times restrictions associated with joining an alliance, and actually see greater benefit in some cases to carriers leaving their current alliance. CZ/KE leaving Sky, CX leaving OW, etc.

If CZ were to leave Sky, will CX welcome CZ into OW? Or will CX veto them into the alliance because CAN is to close to CX hub in HKG.

VCEflyboy

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:46 am

Speaking of Canada, it's shocking that the #2 and 3 airlines air transat and westjet are not aligned. Air transat would be a decent sky team fit. West jet at one point seemed to be looking at one world but nothing happened.

winginit

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:01 pm

hoo8myryce wrote:
winginit wrote:

If CZ were to leave Sky, will CX welcome CZ into OW? Or will CX veto them into the alliance because CAN is to close to CX hub in HKG.

Certainly not without some kicking and screaming, but even CX surely acknowledges the China sized hole in OW given the inability for carriers to place code into mainland China on a non-Chinese domiciled carrier (and KA doesn't count). Having said that, I'm not even entirely sure that CZ would need to join OW immediately after a potential Sky exit - strong and valuable bilaterals with non Sky carriers would be flying at them with the Sky shackles removed, and surely they feel a bit neglected given DL's equity stake in MU.

OO-VEG

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Dutchy wrote:
rufusmi wrote:

EY is also cosy with Skyteam, KLM, Air France etc.

Speaking of which, is JET Airways in an alliance, otherwise they would be a perfect fit for Skyteam, important growth marked.

They are very happy with their new hub move from BRU to AMS. But JET is a bit of a tricky airline as it's partially owned by EY. I wouldn't be surprised if EY would open up it's own alliance if they find a suitable partner for the US. For the rest JET would be the perfect match for Sky, and could form a very good partnership to retake some of the ME3 market by facilitating the America to India (and surrounding area) routes.

a380787

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:23 pm

winginit wrote:
but even CX surely acknowledges the China sized hole in OW given the inability for carriers to place code into mainland China on a non-Chinese domiciled carrier (and KA doesn't count).

Any oneworld carrier is free to place codes on mainland chinese carriers (AA+HU or BA+MU etc) ... it's just not part of the same alliance, so synergy is a bit limited in the case.

In many cases, code-shares outside of the alliance don't carry reciprocal FF benefits, so you can be oneworld emerald on the first flight and be treated as peon on the connection leg.

winginit

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:36 pm

a380787 wrote:
Any oneworld carrier is free to place codes on mainland chinese carriers (AA+HU or BA+MU etc) ... it's just not part of the same alliance, so synergy is a bit limited in the case.

For a carrier like AA though with what is now a notable presence into mainland China HU simply doesn't cut it, and they're unable to place code on MU/CZ/CA given the restrictions in Sky and Star.

a380787

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:37 pm

winginit wrote:
a380787 wrote:

For a carrier like AA though with what is now a notable presence into mainland China HU simply doesn't cut it, and they're unable to place code on MU/CZ/CA given the restrictions in Sky and Star.

Why not MU ? Both BA and QF (2 key pillars of oneworld) already places their code on MU.

infinit

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Silkair a.k.a regional singaporeair

Alhough I doubt SQ would get them into Star.
They'll use them as an incentive for krisflyer membership, or for a select few airlines that have the closest relationships with

Softaero

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:22 pm

Oman Air, Gulf Air, Kuwait Airways
Atlasglobal, Azerbaijan Airlines, Air Astana, Uzbekistan Airways
RAM, Air Algerie, Tunisair, RwandAir, Air Mauritius
Aer Lingus, Luxair, Air Malta, Bulgaria Air, AirBaltic, Virgin Atlantic
Icelandair, Belavia, UIA
Batik Air, Malindo Air, Philippine, Skymark, TransAsia
Sichuan Airlines, Air Macau, Shandong Airlines
Virgin Australia
Hawaiian Airlines, Alaska Airlines, JetBlue
WestJet, Interjet, Insel Air, LIAT, Cape Air
TAME, Sky Airline, Azul
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly

LAX772LR

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:37 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
Speaking of Canada, it's shocking that the #2 and 3 airlines air transat and westjet are not aligned. Air transat would be a decent sky team fit. West jet at one point seemed to be looking at one world but nothing happened.

What would either one of them bring to the alliances, that they don't already have via extant partners?

DL and AA serve most of the major Canadian destinations as is, and could easily expand if they felt the need.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Rajahdhani

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:08 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
seabosdca wrote:

When the DL/AS codeshare runs out in "I think" 2018 we may see some action on the alliance front for AS. Then again, what they're doing now works well for them. It seems like every non-Skyteam intercontinental flight that serves SEA has some sort of interline/codeshare/FF deal with AS now. But if AS did join one it would almost certainly be OW since they seem more laid back in regards to non-alliance cooperation than *Star does. Outside of Alaska and some PNW markets I dont see what AS and UA would cooperate on that much.

When the codeshare expires in 2018, though - AS would potentially also lose AM, AF/KL and KE, in that order.

AM and DL have a JV, and DL has invested in AM. Any future services to North America will reflect that reality now. Sure, AM "looses" codeshare with AS, but would then rely on DL's impressive coverage (and their SEA hub) to refocus. AS would 'lose' access to AM's Mexican destinations, but with OpenSkies being realized now, AM's already impressive Mexican coverage, could expand further. Keep in mind, also, that if the SkyTeam members leave, this would allow OneWorld to become more attractive, and the search for a Mexican alliance partner and/or code share partner. Interjet seems to be a compelling possibility.

AF/KL also participate with DL in a JV, and whatever is 'lost' to AS, would only allow DL to strengthen their hand. This move would prove beneficial to DL's hand at SEA, as it would now have greater command over the SkyTeam members there. If significant demand is left (post-AS withdrawal) to a city, DL can be poised to launch it. It would certainly escalate the competition at SEA, the competition between DL and AS.

KE is an interesting consideration. Save for DL making significant moves towards KE (which, with the new CEO change and/or the ramp-down of the DL Japanese services, would be a very prudent move), KE has demonstrated that it will partner, 'bigly' with other carriers if necessary. Consider KE and AA's US relationship. Odd, given that in almost all normal circumstances, DL should be the clear recepeint of most of that relationship.

AS and UA would have some issues to cross;
Currently, in the merger proceedings between AS and VX, the issue of AS's significant codeshare with AA (and with DL currently, and the future potential...) were allegedly touted as some of the major issues of contention between the DOJ and AS. Logically, the argument raised is predicated upon providing a greater competitive marketplace. If the merger is approved (AS/VX), and then a codeshare with UA entered into, consider the overlap in the Californian market, and then specifically at SFO. I cannot see the DOJ, or the public in the affected area, being too pleased with it. Also, as AS/VX merges and we see the full realization of that merged entity - said entity will in itself find that DL and UA are some of its largest competitors.

All of this, though, is predicated upon these carriers leaving the codeshare 'partnership'. Keeping in mind, though, that they actually don't have to. Until such time that AS joins OneWorld, the carrier would remain 'un-allianced', and in the best interest of the carrier to remain true to that reality, by being 'friendly' with as many others as possible. QR, and EY would provide decent leverage in the future. It happens at B6 now (codesharing with EK, QR and EY).

UnitedIsBae

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:55 pm

some of the chinese domestic airlines i know Juneyao Airlines will join Star Alliance next year but not sure about others, a domestic carrier with a allaince can make money.
If it ain't Boeing I ain't going PERIOD

winginit

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:21 pm

a380787 wrote:
winginit wrote:
a380787 wrote:

Why not MU ? Both BA and QF (2 key pillars of oneworld) already places their code on MU.

Apart from Skyteam's restrictions that only allow a certain quantity of codeshare with carriers outside of the alliance (I believe it's a percentage of network ASMs), you can bet that Delta has it stated in their bilateral agreement with MU that MU can't code with any other carrier domiciled in the United States.

mozart

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:35 pm

Definitely ASKY Airlines!

Also:
Volaris
bmi regional
Eastern
FlyBe
Luxair
SATA

All of these either have large networks and open up new routes that currently can only be reached with detours, or they have interesting regional networks. Some alliances have the "connecting partner" category of membership, and some of the examples above fall into that category.

EddieDude

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Apparently Interjet wants a U.S.-based 49% equity partner to emulate what AM has done with DL. Dunno whether negotiations with AA and UA are underway. If this materializes, they could eventually join the alliance of their new equity partner.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

ahj2000
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:03 pm

I'd bet AA as they have already set up significant codeshares with them from across the states to MEX and from MEX to regional mexico.
However, AA hasn't taken any equity shares (AFAIK)...
-Andrés Juánez

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos