JeremyB
Topic Author

Metroliner crash at Luqa, Malta

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:45 am

A Metroliner carrying Frontex officials crashed shortly after take off earlier this morning at Malta International Airport. None of the five people on board survived the crash. "An eyewitness told Times of Malta they saw the plane take-off and rise before it suddenly tipped onto its right side “and went straight down into the ground.”

Malta International Aiport is closed until furter notice.

http://www.airlive.net/breaking-plane-c ... s-morning/

Dutchy

Re: Metroliner crash at Luqa, Malta

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:53 am

Terrible news. Sounds like a stall.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Draken21fx

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:34 am

Frontex confirmed that it is not one of their flights.

The reg number most probably is N577MX.

Credits for the pics below go to Laurent Azzopardi.

Weather here overcast but winds are calm. Thankfully the plane did not crash onto houses (Malta is densely populated). RIP...

oldannyboy

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:39 am

Draken21fx wrote:

Weather here overcast but winds are calm. Thankfully the plane did not crash onto houses (Malta is densely populated). RIP...

Wow. Shocking images. I know exactly where that was filmed. Horrible crash. RIP to those poor souls who were onboard that old flying coffin.

Draken21fx

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:42 am

oldannyboy wrote:
Draken21fx wrote:

Wow. Shocking images. I know exactly where that was filmed. Horrible crash. RIP to those poor souls who were onboard that old flying coffin.

There are a few more frames and a video at least but I do not want to stress the server. You can find them easily with a quick search.

Most of the inbound flights are landing in Italy.

JeremyB
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:43 am

Draken21fx wrote:

Those pics are amazing and horrible at the same time, knowing that the plane was going and still being able to take those pics.. :(

According to airlive: "The aircraft involved in the accident at Luqa Airport was a 1983 Fairchild SA227-AT aircraft."

Draken21fx

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:47 am

OA940

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:05 am

Damn. That's so horrible. Looks like a stall. RIP.
A350/CSeries = bae

matthewkellyva

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:40 am

Possibly an engine failure at a speed critical phase of the flight that led to a stall and wing drop?
To aviators, the sky is not the limit, it is home.

bennett123

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:15 pm

N577MX is registered to Worldwide Aircraft Services Inc in Missouri.

lesfalls

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Wow.....
RIP
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Spacepope

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:07 pm

What was this aircraft dong in Malta? A US-registered airframe with 2 EO/IR turrets under the rear fuselage, French military personnel. Libya related?
The last of the famous international playboys

breiz

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:00 pm

Spacepope wrote:
What was this aircraft dong in Malta? A US-registered airframe with 2 EO/IR turrets under the rear fuselage, French military personnel. Libya related?

According to French news, the ac was leased by a company in Luxembourg, CAE Aviation, and operated for the French DGSE (Direction Générale de la Sécurité Extérieure or General Directorate for External Security). Their mission was most probably linked to some surveillance over human and drug trafficking in that part of the Mediterranean Sea (hence Malta) .
5 people on board, two civilian pilots and 3 members of the DGSE.

Draken21fx

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:03 pm

Spacepope wrote:

Yes, the info is pretty sketchy for obvious reasons but apparently 3 of them were French defence ministry and the other two private contractors of the Luxembourg branch of CAE Aviation.

They would have landed back in MLA a few hours later without landing in Libya, so I guess they were patrolling the South Med.

Shouldn't the topic be moved to military aviation as the details emerge?

asdf

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:11 pm

Spacepope wrote:

kinda:
"Airline: CAE Aviation
Aircraft: Fairchild SA227-AT Expediter
Photo Date: June 02, 2016
This Fairchild Metroliner N577MX which belongs to CAE Aviation is equipped for ground and maritime surveillance. He is currently used by the French Air Force to patrol along the Libyan coast from ... (more)"

source:
http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?regsearch=N577MX

JeremyB
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:16 pm

Spacepope wrote:

It was indeed planned to go to Misrata according to different sources.

uta999

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:20 pm

The video shows the plane inverted, as if a locking pin (gust lock) was left in place in one of the ailerons.

A similar accident occurred in Canada years ago with a Buffalo.
Last edited by uta999 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your computer just got better

Draken21fx

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:26 pm

JeremyB wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

It was indeed planned to go to Misrata according to different sources.

Yes that was the initial story, along with the one that stated that the flight was a Frontex one but as details emerge it appears that the flight would have flown over the South Med and then it would return to MLA. The quote below is from the Maltese Government.

"The ... flight was registered with Malta Air Traffic Services as a local flight and was to return to Malta within hours without landing in third countries,"

Malta is very densely populated and it is extreme luck that we did not have fatalities on the ground. A Lidl is only a few hundred meters from the crash site, as an example. Also it seems that the airport fire services were on the spot quite rapidly, kudos to them.

F9Animal

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:53 pm

uta999 wrote:
The video shows the plane inverted, as if a locking pin (gust lock) was left in place in one of the ailerons.

That is exactly what first came to mind when I saw how the plane acted. It appeared they had no control at all. Wouldn't a general flight control check help determine if a gust lock was still in place though?
I Am A Different Animal!!

VSMUT

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:00 pm

Spacepope wrote:

It's not just that. This particular aircraft participated in the infamous CIA flights that were revealed in 2005-6 or so, under the guise of N120JM. It's certainly an aircraft that has been involved in some black stuff through its career.

NoTime

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:11 pm

uta999 wrote:

Thinking the same thing.

RIP to the folks involved.

Spacepope

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:56 pm

F9Animal wrote:
uta999 wrote:

That is exactly what first came to mind when I saw how the plane acted. It appeared they had no control at all. Wouldn't a general flight control check help determine if a gust lock was still in place though?

Hard to tell from the video if both engines are turning, it also reminds me of a VMC related loss of control after an engine out. for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTQwkKameLg
The last of the famous international playboys

Draken21fx

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:45 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

It's not just that. This particular aircraft participated in the infamous CIA flights that were revealed in 2005-6 or so, under the guise of N120JM. It's certainly an aircraft that has been involved in some black stuff through its career.

A lot of discussion regarding that even in the Maltese parliament tonight. Unfortunately that won't change the fact that 5 people have died :(

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20161024/local/what-was-the-plane-that-crashed-in-luqa-really-doing.629013

F9Animal

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Spacepope wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
uta999 wrote:

Hard to tell from the video if both engines are turning, it also reminds me of a VMC related loss of control after an engine out. for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTQwkKameLg

Very possible. I just couldn't imagine the final 20 seconds inside of that plane. :(
I Am A Different Animal!!

gatibosgru

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:23 pm

That video is the stuff of nightmares. RIP :(
@DadCelo

Byron1976

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:08 pm

I don't think it was a stall, IMHO looks more like a mechanical failure. RIP to all involved.

Viscount724

Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:10 am

Draken21fx wrote:

Shouldn't the topic be moved to military aviation as the details emerge?

Disagree. It's a civil aircraft with civil registration. With your logic any civilian aircraft operating under contract for a government, like airliners on military charters, would have to go in the military forum which would not make sense.

intrance

Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:15 am

Spacepope wrote:

VMC in aviation generally stands for Visual Meteorological Conditions. Where as I believe you want to refer to Vmca (minimum control speed air)? :)

As for control locks and such... I never flew a Metro but I did fly a similar sized 19-seater with TPE331s and a control lock system. In our procedures we did have a visual check of the ailerons, I would assume they did as well. From all accounts I've heard, the Metroliner handles about the same as my previous type on a single engine... Namely "interesting", to keep the language polite. Will be looking for the preliminary report in the future.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos