Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lesfalls
Topic Author

ZAG close to getting flights to the U.S

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:09 pm

"Zagreb Airport is close to securing flights to the United States, which, if launched, would mark the resumption of services between the two countries after 22 years. A European carrier is currently in talks with Zagreb Airport over possible seasonal services to New York, which would run during the 2017 summer season".

http://www.exyuaviation.com/2016/10/zag ... -deal.html

Supposedly it's rumored that it will be operated by either XL airways or Norwegian. Your thoughts? How often do you think the flight will be operated?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

slcdeltarumd11

Re: ZAG close to getting flights to the U.S

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:12 pm

I would think Norwegian

usflyer123

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:35 pm

its weird that a european carrier would like to operate this, i thought it would be DL. but out of the two i think it will be Norwegian.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

a380787

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:44 pm

Don't completely rule out UA just yet (i.e. EWR-ZAG). They're the only carrier with realistic feeds at both ends.

dabpit

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:46 pm

ZAG would be an interesting choice for Norwegian's next city for flights to the US.
Carpe Diem

SCQ83

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:50 pm

IMO Norwegian would be a very odd choice.

Most Norwegian routes are very heavy on tourism on one or, in most of the cases, both sides. Routes like Oslo-Boston or Barcelona-Oakland, depend on large O&D markets interested to visit the other side. Of course there are exceptions very heavy on one side (i.e. Europe to Orlando, Las Vegas) but in those cases those are massive tourism destinations.

Zagreb is a place very little people in the US has any interest to go to (and even Dubrovnik is not close or easy to reach from ZAG, you better connect in another Euro hub or self connect). Zagreb is a small market. So it will end up being mostly VFR.

winginit

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:17 pm

This sounds a bit like Air Serbia's JFK-BEG flight: a guaranteed loss maker.

Deltabravo1123

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:54 pm

a380787 wrote:
Don't completely rule out UA just yet (i.e. EWR-ZAG). They're the only carrier with realistic feeds at both ends.

I would love to see UA on this route, but the article did say a European carrier.

lancelot07

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Deltabravo1123 wrote:
a380787 wrote:

I would love to see UA on this route, but the article did say a European carrier.

I will love to see almost any airline doing this connection !
If it is a european carrier, the logical choices would be Croatian and LH.

MIflyer12

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:53 pm

a380787 wrote:

What logical feed into ZAG? Split and Belgrade?!

TripleDelta
Screener

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:04 pm

It's that time of the year again... it's been awhile since we heard any of those "almost secured", "definitely starting when", "currently in talks with" and similar sound bites. Must be a slow day at ZAG for them to dig into the intercontinental service box again...

winginit wrote:
This sounds a bit like Air Serbia's JFK-BEG flight: a guaranteed loss maker.

Very much so.
Hawkeye: "It doesn't make any sense."
Radar: "Well, none of it makes any sense. You just have to send in the right number of forms." - MASH 4077

TripleDelta
Screener

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:37 pm

The only long-haul services that ZAG has been able to sustain since the end of Yugoslavia are Incheon on Korean Air and Toronto on Air Transat - both of which are seasonal and once per week only. The former are actually charters that are not freely bookable by the general public, while the latter caters largely to tourists from Canada with very little "fixed" demand on either side.
Hawkeye: "It doesn't make any sense."
Radar: "Well, none of it makes any sense. You just have to send in the right number of forms." - MASH 4077

FSDan

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:16 pm

a380787 wrote:

It would seem crazy to see a U.S. carrier enter ZAG while BUD remains without a nonstop from the States...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

CO 757-300

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:46 pm

i would look for a carrier like XL, TUI, Meridiana, Condor, or even a Eurowings with OU codeshare. I don't see Norweigan unless they were to open a new "base" at ZAG, which i just don't see given the niche of the market.

PatrickZ80

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:55 pm

It doesn't say direct flights, does it? So it could also mean an airline offering a transfer between Zagreb and the United States at their hub. If that's the case, maybe we're talking about Brussels Airlines. Recently they started flights between Zagreb and their hub at BRU, and from BRU they offer flights to several American destinations.

Varsity1

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Why would I fly 6000 miles to Croatia when the Caribbean is less than 2000 miles away?

Though some exceptions exist, long distance leisure routes usually don't pan out too well.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos