Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CanadaFair
Topic Author

Eastern Asia-Ireland will it ever happen?

Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:39 pm

What prevents Aer Lingus and east Asia carriers flying between the two, of the Asians who has the most potential to serve DUB and which destinations are most suitable to Aer Lingus?

EIDL

Re: Eastern Asia-Ireland will it ever happen?

Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:42 pm

If EI were ever to even consider it, it'd be post oneworld return and be HKG. That'd be it, I'd imagine.

One of the Chinese secondaries to DUB is much likely.

PatrickZ80

Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:44 pm

For now that's the runway length in DUB, only 2637 meters. That's not enough for a long haul flight with a reasonable payload. I think this will change when the new runway in DUB is finished.

MrHMSH

Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:53 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
For now that's the runway length in DUB, only 2637 meters. That's not enough for a long haul flight with a reasonable payload. I think this will change when the new runway in DUB is finished.

Although maybe it's too large for the route to be viable, wouldn't the A359 be able to get away with a decent payload from that?

usflyer123

Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:55 pm

i think it will be PEK or BKK for sure...
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

OA260

Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:59 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
What prevents Aer Lingus and east Asia carriers flying between the two, of the Asians who has the most potential to serve DUB and which destinations are most suitable to Aer Lingus?

The Asia route will not be EI unless something dramatic changes at HQ. It will be a Chinese carrier and discussions are ongoing according to those close to the chatter. We will see more US routes from EI and maybe CPT before we see them looking at Asia.

a380787

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Hainan Air (HU) is desperate to find growth opportunities, particularly in secondary destinations, before CA blocks them - PEK-DUB fits perfectly into this strategy. Going further south, I wouldn't rule out SQ using their Scoot subsidiary to launch SIN-DUB.

kaitak

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:04 pm

I agree with OA260 ... I can't see EI doing it; I think a Chinese carrier is most likely, but the "Big 3" don't seem interested and it would be necessary to have a decent sized hub at whatever airport is chosen. Hainan doesn't seem to have that.

Dublin will have a new runway within the next 5-6 years (certainly sooner than LHR gets its one!), but how big will the ME3 be by then? Will there be any scope for a route from Dublin even then? I tend to doubt it. I would hope to see a cargo route at some stage, however, but again, it obviously won't be EI.

Joelatbsl

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:23 pm

a380787 wrote:
Hainan Air (HU) is desperate to find growth opportunities, particularly in secondary destinations, before CA blocks them - PEK-DUB fits perfectly into this strategy. Going further south, I wouldn't rule out SQ using their Scoot subsidiary to launch SIN-DUB.

Does Scoot have any intentions on going that far at all? They do fly to Australia and they'll start Athens before too long, but Dublin seems quite a stretch to me ...

a380787

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:26 pm

Joelatbsl wrote:
a380787 wrote:

Does Scoot have any intentions on going that far at all? They do fly to Australia and they'll start Athens before too long, but Dublin seems quite a stretch to me ...

I'm just extrapolating what they *might* be interested in, beyond what has been publicly announced (Aussie + ATH). The whole question of DUB-East Asia is all hypotheticals anyway, so doesn't hurt to speculate.

PatrickZ80

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:42 pm

I think DUB-Asia is uninteresting for another reason, given that the catchment area of DUB is more or less Europe and Asia is all the way at the other end of Europe. Why would someone want to fly AMS-DUB-BKK for example? The DUB-BKK flight would fly them straight back over AMS again. DUB is interesting for flights to America since that's what's closest from Dublin from Europe. A flight AMS-DUB-JFK would make sense, a flight AMS-DUB-BKK would not.

OA260

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:48 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I think DUB-Asia is uninteresting for another reason, given that the catchment area of DUB is more or less Europe and Asia is all the way at the other end of Europe. Why would someone want to fly AMS-DUB-BKK for example? The DUB-BKK flight would fly them straight back over AMS again. DUB is interesting for flights to America since that's what's closest from Dublin from Europe. A flight AMS-DUB-JFK would make sense, a flight AMS-DUB-BKK would not.

Whilst in some aspects I agree KLM/AF pick up a sizeable amount of DUB-AMS/CDG-USA. Also LH DUB-FRA-USA.

VCEflyboy

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:46 pm

DUB would be a great stop over for chinese airlines flying down to Africa.
It would improve profitability dramatically. And DUB is known to hand out fifth freedom rights easily. ET already does that.

OA940

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:00 pm

I assume EI's A330's don't have the range. Regarding the Asian carriers I always had that question.
A350/CSeries = bae

CanadaFair
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Do the Irish take BA on trips east?

OA260

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:08 pm

CanadaFair wrote:

Yes they do along with many other options such as LH AF KL TK LX EY EK etc..

tonystan

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:41 pm

CanadaFair wrote:

Sure the Aer Lingus codeshare flight number is on almost every BA far eastern service today!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

kaitak

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:20 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
DUB would be a great stop over for chinese airlines flying down to Africa.
It would improve profitability dramatically. And DUB is known to hand out fifth freedom rights easily. ET already does that.

It would really be much shorter to take a more southern route , across India and the Arabian Sea, to Africa; of course, if you're coming from Beijing or PVG, maybe it might make some sense, but it would be a stretch and Chinese carriers seem to be in most of the African markets they want to be in. On top of that, they're not big earning markets and the likes of QR, EK, KQ and particularly ET seem to have sewn up the China - Africa market.

Scoot is supposed to be starting services to the UK next year, so it can't be ruled out as a possibility, particularly with easy access from Australia to Europe. Singapore is a good place for Irish people to start touring Asia and of course, Scoot would be a good option. They have 788s as well as 789s.

I think the big problem is distance, but not in the obvious sense - in that we know there are aircraft like the 787, A350 etc that can cover every major Asian market from Dublin. What I mean is that the greater the distance between any two points, the greater the options for travel between those two points. So, DUB-BOS and DUB-JFK is pretty much nonstop and you'd need a very good reason to go via anywhere else, but from DUB to Asia, there are a multiplicity of options. Virtually every European airline flies to Dublin (or codeshares with someone who does); you can fly via anywhere in Europe, DXB, AUH (and possibly DOH soon) and the more options there are, the less attractive direct flights will be because the yield just won't be there; that's why I don't see EI flying east, but rather (as it is doing) expanding its US market. It knows the market and it's known, respected and well established there; why risk flying east, when it'll be a very small fish in a very big pond, fighting to carry pax to a much less known market. It just does not make sense - much though I'd like it to!

Freshside3

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:56 pm

I can see NRT from DUB. No Irish representation in Asia, and carriers are shifting NRT flights for HND whenever possible. As a result, NRT is more likely to offer favorable deals on fees and slots. And DUB airport themselves have expressed interest in getting a Tokyo flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos