Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Byron1976
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:52 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:22 pm

vhtje wrote:
Yes - the Q is definitely taller than the other letters. I downloaded the logo from qantas.com.au and blew it up. it is a few pixels taller than the other letters.

Image

Why make it only so slightly bigger? It looks odd.


Usually, rounded characters of a typeface tends to be slightly bigger than others characters. It's just a visual compensation for the rounded shape. If you give to the "Q" the same height as the "A", the "Q" will look slightly smaller.

I like the refresh in the Qantas livery, but I don't like the typeface that they have choosen for their slogan. From certain distance the "a" looks like a "o" and looks like "Austrolio".
Just my 2 cents
 
User avatar
Johnv707
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:24 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:40 pm

Having had my first airplane flight on a Qantas B707-138B in the V-Jet Livery from Brisbane-Honolulu-San Francisco, I am partial to the older scheme. However the new Roo looks less and less like a kangaroo. My favorite was the roo with the wings.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:44 pm

mariner wrote:
It's all right, it does the job, but I prefer the livery it is replacing - it wasn't broke, I don't know why they wanted to try and fix it.

Just because it is different doesn't make it "modern."

mariner


Qantas to me looks to have an incrementalist approach to livery change. Small changes that dont disrupt the apple cart all at once. It probably helps to reduce the urgency for a repaint too. Id bet there are still one or two aircraft with the now 3rd youngest livery (i.e. the one before the one before this one) flying around.
 
CF-CPI
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2000 12:54 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:46 pm

It's OK as a refresh, but I get the impression the designer of the new Alaska livery was subsequently contacted for the new 'roo job. I don't see much new or innovative here.
 
Aircellist
Posts: 1590
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:43 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Well, nice, but next step the kangaroo will be so much cleaned and given a modern look that I doubt it will still be recognizable as such.
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes
 
User avatar
AA777223
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:12 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:27 pm

I think it's odd that in the picture explaining the changes to the design, they talk about the wingtip roo and the roo on the engines...and they aren't in the picture. One would think if they planned to add those features, they would be shown in the graphic. The only real life picture we've seen doesn't show the winglet, and I can't tell if the roo is on the engines.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11163
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:28 pm

qf2220 wrote:
mariner wrote:
It's all right, it does the job, but I prefer the livery it is replacing - it wasn't broke, I don't know why they wanted to try and fix it.

Just because it is different doesn't make it "modern."

mariner


Qantas to me looks to have an incrementalist approach to livery change. Small changes that dont disrupt the apple cart all at once. It probably helps to reduce the urgency for a repaint too. Id bet there are still one or two aircraft with the now 3rd youngest livery (i.e. the one before the one before this one) flying around.


Actually there are 3 717, 2 A333 and 9 738 still in the 1984 livery
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
A330freak
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:35 pm

AA777223 wrote:
I think it's odd that in the picture explaining the changes to the design, they talk about the wingtip roo and the roo on the engines...and they aren't in the picture. One would think if they planned to add those features, they would be shown in the graphic. The only real life picture we've seen doesn't show the winglet, and I can't tell if the roo is on the engines.

I agree it's a bit weird to have the graphic explaining the new feature not show it. Anyway, here are what the insides of the winglet look like
Image
Image from https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/ ... 9636764672
Image
picture from https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/791442380817739776
and here's a closer look at the engine
Image
pic from https://twitter.com/SydneyAirport/statu ... 8038017024
qf789 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
mariner wrote:
It's all right, it does the job, but I prefer the livery it is replacing - it wasn't broke, I don't know why they wanted to try and fix it.

Just because it is different doesn't make it "modern."

mariner


Qantas to me looks to have an incrementalist approach to livery change. Small changes that dont disrupt the apple cart all at once. It probably helps to reduce the urgency for a repaint too. Id bet there are still one or two aircraft with the now 3rd youngest livery (i.e. the one before the one before this one) flying around.


Actually there are 3 717, 2 A333 and 9 738 still in the 1984 livery

And I believe a few Dash-8s
 
User avatar
AA777223
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:12 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:57 pm

A330freak wrote:
AA777223 wrote:
I think it's odd that in the picture explaining the changes to the design, they talk about the wingtip roo and the roo on the engines...and they aren't in the picture. One would think if they planned to add those features, they would be shown in the graphic. The only real life picture we've seen doesn't show the winglet, and I can't tell if the roo is on the engines.

I agree it's a bit weird to have the graphic explaining the new feature not show it. Anyway, here are what the insides of the winglet look like
Image
Image from https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/ ... 9636764672
Image
picture from https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/791442380817739776
and here's a closer look at the engine
Image
pic from https://twitter.com/SydneyAirport/statu ... 8038017024
qf789 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Qantas to me looks to have an incrementalist approach to livery change. Small changes that dont disrupt the apple cart all at once. It probably helps to reduce the urgency for a repaint too. Id bet there are still one or two aircraft with the now 3rd youngest livery (i.e. the one before the one before this one) flying around.


Actually there are 3 717, 2 A333 and 9 738 still in the 1984 livery

And I believe a few Dash-8s

Awesome; thanks! Anutters coming through in the clutch!
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146
 
User avatar
Mistral1
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:15 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm not sure about the redefined kangaroo, it doesn't resembles one anymore.
 
flybry
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:47 pm

All that white :/
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21900
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:50 pm

flybry wrote:
All that white :/


What did you expect? An all-red fuselage that would get confused with their competition over at Virgin?

QANTAS has always done small, incremental livery changes. This is more of the same.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
flybry
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:02 pm

DocLightning wrote:
flybry wrote:
All that white :/


What did you expect? An all-red fuselage that would get confused with their competition over at Virgin?

QANTAS has always done small, incremental livery changes. This is more of the same.


Yeah I guess... the all white fuselage just seems so bland :/
 
DFW789ER
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:20 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:33 pm

kabq737 wrote:
Huh...there's nothing really wrong with the livery there's just nothing really right with it either. It doesn't really give the airline a unique brand. Just lots of Euro white and a shiny tail. Maybe it's just me but it reminds me of the new AS livery in some ways.


Really? In no way can I see even remotely a similarity between the two.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7054
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Personally I'm enjoying that corporate identity evolution. The tail logo is cool, the retro logo on the nose is a great addition, and of course I love the new logotype for Qantas. QF livery is like LH's. Although very white nonetheless very classy with that bright red.
 
SonOfABeech
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:46 pm

I think Qantas has a pretty timeless livery, and you should do nothing more than minor tweaks like this. I think it will look better on wingletted planes.
 
qf002
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:53 pm

QF has now marketed their 787 in THREE different liveries:

Image

Image

Image

Pretty tragic how long this has dragged on, really! The irony is of course that the 2007 update was designed specifically for the impending 787s and A380s.
 
na
Posts: 9779
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:15 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
QF livery is like LH's. Although very white nonetheless very classy with that bright red.


I fully agree with that. Its a classic. Like LH and AF. I did like that livery from the day it came out in 1984, radically replacing the oldfashioned orange cheatline scheme. And classic things just need to be updated to be up to the day (see Porsche 911!). I wonder when, or if, we will see such thing from LH!
 
ThReaTeN
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:18 pm

DELTA711 wrote:
I like it... a refreshed looked but still keeping to the basic livery most have come to love...

Yeah, but what we liked about it was (among other things) the kangaroo, as a classic, lovable and unmistakable symbol of Australia. Not the armless freak they put on it now.

I wonder if they're setting themselves up for a New Coke style PR stunt - i.e. waiting for the inevitable Twitter firestorm to climax and then restoring the kangaroo's arms "due to overwhelming popular demand", thereby underscoring their own significance as a timeless, uniting, cross-generational brand just like Coca-Cola did. On second thought I kind of doubt the current leadership of Qantas would be that daring.
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:38 pm

Would prefer the previous livery but with the golden stripe at the tail from the livery before that. This new livery looks very Iberia/Avianca/Air France/Delta-ish. The font choices (ie minimalist, eg Calibri on MS Office) of the current generation of designers leaves much to be desired.
 
EGNT
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:24 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm slightly surprised and disappointed. I don't get what the fuss is with the cabin. There's been so many rumours about a lower density/more premium cabin yet compared to a BA 789 there are more economy seats, fewer premium economy and the same number of business class seats. Obviously the BA has a first class section as well.

I'm surprised they didn't have more premium economy seats in the middle section of the plane up to the pair of toilets just behind the wing and reduce the number of economy seats. If they are wanting to do 17 hour flights then i would've thought that more premium economy would be better.
 
User avatar
TR763
Posts: 782
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2001 10:07 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:13 pm

I would love to see the kangaroo in the belly instead of the airline name!
Image
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5471
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:21 pm

qf002 wrote:
QF has now marketed their 787 in THREE different liveries:

Sad thing is the first one is still the best!

This latest version just looks a bit disjointed compared to the others.
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2531
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:32 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
qf002 wrote:
This latest version just looks a bit disjointed compared to the others.


I agree. 'Disjointed' is a good way of putting it. Especially have three main fonts on the fuselage which do not compliment each other.

But the deformed and basically unrecognisable kangaroo on the tail is the most offensive change.

Glad to hear that there is already a storm brewing against Alan Joyce over this.

Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:38 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Glad to hear that there is already a storm brewing against Alan Joyce over this.

Bunumuring.


Is there? I know there are people who don't like it, but I haven't seen a "storm" - at least in the press.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
winginit
Posts: 3051
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:00 pm

qf002 wrote:
Pretty tragic how long this has dragged on, really! The irony is of course that the 2007 update was designed specifically for the impending 787s and A380s.


Tragic? Really? Tragic how? Has it caused some sort of undue hardship to the customers or the employees? Has QF spending an hour photoshopping those mock ups had a detrimental financial impact to the company that I've missed? Has it pained you personally to lay your eyes upon those mock ups? Does it impact anyone...? at all really?

mariner wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Glad to hear that there is already a storm brewing against Alan Joyce over this.

Bunumuring.


Is there? I know there are people who don't like it, but I haven't seen a "storm" - at least in the press.

mariner


Of course there isn't a storm brewing over this. At the end of the day the only people who care about the livery are the employees and the av geeks, and even the employees stop caring once everything has settled. Just look at AA, not a peep about it from anyone of note for ages now.
 
User avatar
hilram
Posts: 753
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:12 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Honestly I like the 2007 livery update better. Especially the kangaroo!
Flown on: A319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343 | B732, 734, 735, 736, 73G, 738, 743, 744, 772, 77W | CRJ9 | BAe-146 | DHC-6, 7, 8 | F50 | E195 | MD DC-9 41, MD-82, MD-87
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3859
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:45 pm

While I like the larger titles, not crazy about the font. Overall, a decent refresh, an overhaul wasn't needed so kudos to the folks at QF for not over-doing it
 
undertheradar
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:52 pm

winginit wrote:
qf002 wrote:
Pretty tragic how long this has dragged on, really! The irony is of course that the 2007 update was designed specifically for the impending 787s and A380s.


Tragic? Really? Tragic how? Has it caused some sort of undue hardship to the customers or the employees? Has QF spending an hour photoshopping those mock ups had a detrimental financial impact to the company that I've missed? Has it pained you personally to lay your eyes upon those mock ups? Does it impact anyone...? at all really?

mariner wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Glad to hear that there is already a storm brewing against Alan Joyce over this.

Bunumuring.


Is there? I know there are people who don't like it, but I haven't seen a "storm" - at least in the press.

mariner


Of course there isn't a storm brewing over this. At the end of the day the only people who care about the livery are the employees and the av geeks, and even the employees stop caring once everything has settled. Just look at AA, not a peep about it from anyone of note for ages now.


SO true...it's the typical mantra of social media....all 'stacks on the mill'/exaggerated comments/ who can they blame!!!, for the first few days. After a few days, the 'story' is no longer a 'story', and there is a new 'story' for these people to focus on, and world continues to turn lol.
 
User avatar
FlyCaledonian
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:18 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:03 pm

I like the touch of the classic roo on the nose, but it just highlights even more how the tail roo has been simplified. I'm not sure what the new roo will look like on the A380 - guess I'll wait until I see it first!
Let's Go British Caledonian!
 
User avatar
flyer1225
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:44 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 pm

In my opinion, it would have been interesting to see the livery in red & dark gold instead of red & grey. Just saying.
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN
 
undertheradar
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:14 pm

flyer1225 wrote:
In my opinion, it would have been interesting to see the livery in red & dark gold instead of red & grey. Just saying.


gold is no longer part of/relevant to QFs colour palette. gold is SO last century. Silvers/greys are the 'new gold' :)
 
DexSwart
Posts: 748
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:15 pm

flybry wrote:
Yeah I guess... the all white fuselage just seems so bland :/


It's Qantas. They've been "Eurowhite" since 1984.

That red tail, kangaroo and white fuselage is iconic. (It is still a kangaroo and will be a kangaroo from even far away...)

It would look silly and amateurish for QF to go and add waves to this livery just to move away from their signature look.
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.
 
trent1000
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:27 pm

coolian2 wrote:
trent1000 wrote:
Innovation, yes, but as for brand recognition... What is that thing on the tail?

Have you even seen a Qantas plane before this thread?


Ummm yeah, I'm a Gold member...

Looks like they outsourced the blurb in the e-mail to someone in Asia to write and no one bothered to check the grammar:
"The economy seat designed by Australian industrial designer David Coon and produced by Recaro IS BEST IN CLASS". So this is perhaps a subliminal statement by Oantas that their economy seats have all the comfort of sitting on a hard schoolroom seat.
 
User avatar
allrite
Posts: 2614
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:06 am

I've been giving some thought as to why the font is no longer in italics and I wonder if it is because "QANTAS" now appears on the underbelly. Italics along the side imply motion, but on the underbelly they would introduce an asymmetry that may look quite odd.
I like artificial banana essence!
 
User avatar
Zeiver
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:05 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:37 am

Is Qantas going to apply the changes to the rest of their fleet?
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:11 am

Zeiver wrote:
Is Qantas going to apply the changes to the rest of their fleet?


Yes, whole fleet to be in the 2016 livery by 2020.
 
User avatar
777Jet
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:18 am

A330freak wrote:
Anyway, here are what the insides of the winglet look like
Image
Image from https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/ ... 9636764672
Image
picture from https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/791442380817739776
and here's a closer look at the engine
Image
pic from https://twitter.com/SydneyAirport/statu ... 8038017024


I must say that I really like the look of the inside of the winglets! At least they got one thing right IMHO.

I don't really like the red roo on the white engines. I think the red tail shape with a white roo in it would have looked better as more red can be seen overall which adds better contrast to the mostly white engine.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2590
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:36 am

DocLightning wrote:
flybry wrote:
All that white :/


What did you expect? An all-red fuselage that would get confused with their competition over at Virgin?

QANTAS has always done small, incremental livery changes. This is more of the same.

Except that Virgin has been all white with a red-tail for 5 years. The old all-red livery was retired with the Virgin Blue name.

...I guess it is safe to say that is Qantas ever adopts a company flower, it won't be the Kangaroo Paw!!!! :D
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
kabq737
Posts: 744
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:48 am

DFW789ER wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
Huh...there's nothing really wrong with the livery there's just nothing really right with it either. It doesn't really give the airline a unique brand. Just lots of Euro white and a shiny tail. Maybe it's just me but it reminds me of the new AS livery in some ways.


Really? In no way can I see even remotely a similarity between the two.


It's probably just me. I mostly see the parallel in the paint style on the tail.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
 
CBBW
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:29 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:55 am

I like it a lot. The new typeface is fresh and I love the silver edge and accent in the kangaroo. The vintage 'too at the front is a nice embellishment.
 
jpetekyxmd80
Posts: 4325
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:16 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:19 am

Does Roo have projectile diarrhea???
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:30 am

A330freak wrote:
qf789 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Qantas to me looks to have an incrementalist approach to livery change. Small changes that dont disrupt the apple cart all at once. It probably helps to reduce the urgency for a repaint too. Id bet there are still one or two aircraft with the now 3rd youngest livery (i.e. the one before the one before this one) flying around.


Actually there are 3 717, 2 A333 and 9 738 still in the 1984 livery

And I believe a few Dash-8s


6 Dash 8 Q400s (definitely), plus (I believe) some of the Q300s and at least one Q200. And it's actually 10 B738s (VXM and VYD-VYL inclusive).
 
User avatar
Navigator
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:10 am

One should not fix what is not broken. The new painting blurs the contours, making the painting less interesting in my view. Unfortunately making the livery boring. A big mistake
747-400/747-200/L1011/DC-10/DC-9/DC-8/MD-80/MD90/A340/A330/A300/A310/A321/A320/A319/767/757/737/727/HS-121/CV990/CV440/S
 
User avatar
Groover158
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:43 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:56 am

Lots of people complained when the previous new livery was introduced, now they are complaining that the previous livery is being changed for a new design. Down the track those same people will be beside themselves with anguish when this livery changes again. I like the changes, staying the same is just plain boring. No one can argue that this is no longer recognisable as a Qantas aircraft. I also especially like the roo, it's super-stylish.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:13 am

Im going on the record in support of this new livery. Said.
 
User avatar
Aviaphile
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:25 am

Yeah, but what we liked about it was (among other things) the kangaroo, as a classic, lovable and unmistakable symbol of Australia. Not the armless freak they put on it now.

However the new Roo looks less and less like a kangaroo. My favorite was the roo with the wings.


I agree, the Kangaroo is now so stylised that it doesn't much resemble one anymore. Otherwise the font is fresh and the overall look with the logo on the winglets looks good
A300 310 319 320 321 332 343 346 380 ATR42 Bae146 707 720 721 722 732 733 734 735 738 741 742 743 744 74D SP 752 762 763 772 1-11400 500 Concorde DC3 DC910 30 50 DC10-30 MD11 Trident 1 2 3 Dash 7 DH6 Do228 328 F27 28 HS 748 LX45 L1011200 Viscount 700 800
 
G-CIVP
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2001 6:38 am

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:41 am

Does anyone have a window photo with the logo included which they can share? I would be interested to see. As for the livery revision, they might as well left it as it was!
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6800
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:46 pm

undertheradar wrote:
gold is SO last century. Silvers/greys are the 'new gold' :)


So it's back to the 1980s then? ;)

At least the redesign hasn't been rounded-on mercilessly, which probably means Qantas got it just right. Apart from the kangaroo's arms, that is . . .
 
Planetalk
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:25 pm

This is all a little bit cringeworthy quite frankly. Qantas have arrived at the 787 party years after everyone else, and then barge in talking ahout how they are going to revolutionise their business, international aviation, and perhaps bring world peace as well as a result of their incredible foresight and innovation in purchasing the world's current most popular widebody. It's like your granddad trying to be cool and just not really getting it. Wow look at my 32" seat pitch, I'm such a maverick! Could someone tell them other airlines have been flying the 787, and on pretty long routes, for quite some time...and I'm not sure many people would do PER - LHR in economy on one of these a 2nd time. Well a 3rd time I guess since they'll have to make the return.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos