Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing778X

Re: Qantas Unveils New Livery & 787 Cabin

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:34 pm

Hey, that looks pretty good! Wish the engines were red or something, just to balance it out.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

ikramerica

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:35 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
doug_or wrote:
If someone saw the tailblob, absent the context of a Qantas aircraft, how many hundred guesses would they need to make before saying "kangaroo"?

Why does that matter? The modern Roo will always be on their tail or obviously in context with the airline

Because clarity matters. That "too" looks like a smooshed bird of some kind now.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

747m8te

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:34 am

Planetalk wrote:
This is all a little bit cringeworthy quite frankly. Qantas have arrived at the 787 party years after everyone else, and then barge in talking ahout how they are going to revolutionise their business, international aviation, and perhaps bring world peace as well as a result of their incredible foresight and innovation in purchasing the world's current most popular widebody. It's like your granddad trying to be cool and just not really getting it. Wow look at my 32" seat pitch, I'm such a maverick! Could someone tell them other airlines have been flying the 787, and on pretty long routes, for quite some time...and I'm not sure many people would do PER - LHR in economy on one of these a 2nd time. Well a 3rd time I guess since they'll have to make the return.

You should do some research into the whole situation before you comment.

To be fair...Qantas was meant to have these jets years ago, when QF was originally due for these planes they were in a strong financial position but the Boeing delays put them on the back burner and partly contributed to Qantas' problems and forced them to change their plans, who knows how things would have panned out for QF if these were delivered on time, but there is no point thinking about the what if (that has been discussed at length many times over)...what is done is done. Qantas had some financial struggles and rightly so restructured and now are in a position for these new aircraft.

Fact is, this aircraft IS going to revolutionise THEIR business, and as an airline they are right to be excited about that....
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

AnsettB727

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:15 pm

I never really warmed to the font used on the 2007 livery when the A380 was introduced. I think that this one is far more modern and future-facing. The grey on the rump is a nice touch, too, as the yellow stripe attached to the red of the tail had a very dated feel to it. I know a lot of people think such schemes are boring, but to Australians, all that matters is that there's a red 'roo on the tail.

Planetalk

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:55 pm

747m8te wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
This is all a little bit cringeworthy quite frankly. Qantas have arrived at the 787 party years after everyone else, and then barge in talking ahout how they are going to revolutionise their business, international aviation, and perhaps bring world peace as well as a result of their incredible foresight and innovation in purchasing the world's current most popular widebody. It's like your granddad trying to be cool and just not really getting it. Wow look at my 32" seat pitch, I'm such a maverick! Could someone tell them other airlines have been flying the 787, and on pretty long routes, for quite some time...and I'm not sure many people would do PER - LHR in economy on one of these a 2nd time. Well a 3rd time I guess since they'll have to make the return.

You should do some research into the whole situation before you comment.

To be fair...Qantas was meant to have these jets years ago, when QF was originally due for these planes they were in a strong financial position but the Boeing delays put them on the back burner and partly contributed to Qantas' problems and forced them to change their plans, who knows how things would have panned out for QF if these were delivered on time, but there is no point thinking about the what if (that has been discussed at length many times over)...what is done is done. Qantas had some financial struggles and rightly so restructured and now are in a position for these new aircraft.

Fact is, this aircraft IS going to revolutionise THEIR business, and as an airline they are right to be excited about that....

:roll: Erm, I'm well aware of all that, and none of it negates my point, which was about the ridiculous marketing as if Qantas are launching some groundbreaking change in passenger air travel and comfort. A lot of people will be rather underwhelmed when they get on board and find out it's less comfortable than their previous flights on shorter routes on SQ/TG/EK/MH etc...

eisenbach

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:12 pm

I like the evolution of the brand - it looks more modern, but if someone is not aware that this is an OZ airline the kangaroo is hardly recognizable :-)
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...

mariner

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:22 pm

Planetalk wrote:
This is all a little bit cringeworthy quite frankly. Qantas have arrived at the 787 party years after everyone else, and then barge in talking ahout how they are going to revolutionise their business, international aviation, and perhaps bring world peace as well as a result of their incredible foresight and innovation in purchasing the world's current most popular widebody.

I don't think this is intended for the rather jaded airline sophisticates of a.net - LOL. I think its intended for the mass of the general public, who have very little of idea about aircraft types.

If you've got it - or are getting it - why not flaunt it? Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

garpd

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:23 pm

Excellent tweak to an iconic livery. Love the new titles and adore the subtle shading on the roo!
arpdesign.wordpress.com

a36001

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:17 am

I love this new livery! It's an even more sleek version of the previous one that retains the most recognisable features of the last, which is important.
Mixing the old font from the 70's is a nice touch as is the old old old logo under the flight deck windows.
As for the Kangaroo having no arms, it's not a deal breaker for me it's just a little strange. The inside of the winglets are a major plus as is the underside. However the underside would have been nicer if it had of been the Kangaroo instead of the airline name.

On the whole, great job QF I likey!,

william

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:33 am

Anyone else noticing a trend with these Euro white liveries? The adding of silver to the tail area for some form of highlight.Alaska did the same for its new livery update.

rta

Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:16 am

I like the new livery with the exception for the font of the "Q".

Flightsimboy

Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:48 am

While the kangaroo has lost it's arms, it is in more places than before. The winglets, engines, up front near the nose but all balancing really well. I love the new livery. I think a 1:200 A330 and A380 in the new colours will be worth the wait.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

XAM2175

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:23 pm

Oh dear. I hadn't expected anything particularly earth-shattering from the announcement but neither had I expected to be this disappointed.

I loathe the new logotype. It looks to me like some upstart Melbourne cafe that didn't want to go with lumberjack retro so they picked trying-to-be-trendy-but-failing instead. It's what I see from the organic-cotton-underwear-by-subscription mobs. It has no dynamism to it, and worse, it abandons the typographic consistency that linked the 2008 version not only the 1984 styling but to the 1968 design before that. Painting it on the belly just adds insult to injury - it's hideous and cheap.

The "Spirit of Australia" slogan now appears in QF's main corporate typeface (which, by the way, I'm almost certain is a thinly-disguised copy of General Electric's house face Inspira) and in doing so clashes badly with the main logotype. Additionally, its placement appears haphazard compared to the 2008 livery, which itself was in my mind a step backwards from the over-under placement used in the 1984 design.

I'm of a mixed mind about the amputee 'roo. It doesn't look overtly bad, and the inclusion of the shading in the tail works well, but neither does it look completely right. I think also it's become a touch too thick and heavy, and is very close to being too simple.

I dislike that the new 'roo and logotype combination trades the red triangle for a representation of an actual vertical stabiliser, alongside which the new uninitialised logotype makes the logo appear imbalanced. In this the 2008 presentation was the most polished and visually satisfying.

Annoyingly there are several touches included in the new livery that I do find quite appealing - the silver stripe before the tail looks very good and is a worthy replacement for 1984's gold strip, which I did miss; the 1968 Flying Kangaroo roundel on the nose is genuinely classy; the engine 'roos have a certain understatement and the removal of the red flash addresses the problem both older liveries would have with being applied to chevron-equipped engines; and applying the 'roo to the inside faces of winglets is eminently sensible.

More annoyingly, all of these touches could have just been applied to the 2008 livery. Using the 1968 logo typeface for the aircraft name merely rubs it in.

At the end of the day I know my opinion doesn't matter a tinker's damn to QF, but I say truthfully that it will be a sad day when I first set eyes on this livery in the flesh and a sadder day yet when I come to board an aircraft wearing it.

And as a twee aside, it does bear noting that not only does each version of the 'roo move it closer to being little more than an amorphous blob, but there is already a precedent within QF for it to be exactly that: :P

BigVicDT

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:22 am

Like the new livery.

EK413

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:40 am

Overall I'm content with the revised livery only miss would be the Roo's claws & perhaps grey shadow on the tail wasn't really necessary. Now with marketing campaigns comes the lengthy task of rolling it out, im sitting at SYD International Terminal awaiting my wife's departure and I'm staring at QF 1984, 2007 signage and no sign of the revised logo. I totally understand it will take a few months until the NEW logo rollout commences but it's certainly going to be a lengthy task!

EK413
Last edited by EK413 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

UltimateDelta

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:09 am

Well, might as well throw in my 2 cents...

TR763 wrote:
I would love to see the kangaroo in the belly instead of the airline name!

That would be pretty cool, especially in red.

Overall, I don't think it's terrible, but I don't think it's nearly as good as it could have been. I don't mind the new kangaroo, and the logos on the engines and below the cockpit windows are nice touches. The new title font isn't my favorite, but it's definitely better than some others out there (looking at you, Virgin Atlantic and Southwest).

That said, the worst part about the new branding is the "Spirit of Australia" font...it doesn't fit with any other part of the livery, and seems like a complete afterthought. Position-wise, I thought it was better below the window line as it was on the 1984 version.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

seat1a

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Big thumbs up, well done, Qantas.

EK413

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:09 am

2nd QF aircraft to sport the 2016 clawless kangaroo livery A330 VH-QPH is scheduled to depart VCV 11NOV16.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Adipasquale

Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:47 am

Curiousflyer wrote:
The roo barely looks like a roo. I guess Australians see enough roos at home to not care. Not a fascinating livery, a boring attempt at modernizing it without daring taking a risk. What about the inside?

I wanted to wait a little while before making my judgement on the new livery, but after seeing it the other day in person, I've reached my verdict. I understand the font needed a refresh, but for the love of God, what did they do to the kangaroo. It looks downright terrible, and definitely doesn't look any better when you see it in person. They chopped off its arms, and rearranged its head and body, with the result being something in between a squiggly line and a deformed dinosaur. I'm a fan of the current (now previous, I guess) livery, and love seeing all the QF tails lined up at SYD, but seeing the new one, my eye is drawn straight to how awful the kangaroo is (if you can even call it that). From the looks of it, the designers equated stylization with modernity, without taking into consideration how ridiculous the final product looks. I feel bad for anyone who has to look out their window and see the unholy dino-roo love child painted on the wingtip for the duration of their 15 hour flight.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos