Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

n272wa
Topic Author

BA announce FLL-LGW

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:22 pm

We are really excited to announce our new route launching between sunny #FortLauderdale and #LondonGatwick, beginning 6 July 2017. Find out more http://ba.uk/SnYVIY

http://www.globenewswire.com/news-relea ... ondon.html
Last edited by n272wa on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B742

Re: BA announce FLL-LGW

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:32 pm

A nice addition; JFK. TPA, MCO and now FLL will be all served from LGW.

Will be flown 4x weekly with 3-class 777-200ER

BA2169 LGW0925 - 1345FLL 772 x135
BA2168 FLL1700 - 0630+1LGW 772 x135

azz767

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:33 pm

Not too much of a response to DY. If the third runway at heathrow goes ahead the whole of that beach fleet will be at LHR so quick, DY and VS will have that market to themselves

enilria

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Agreed it's a response to DY. Makes less sense for MSY at LHR.

FSDan

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm pretty sure that 5 years ago FLL had no international long haul airlines. Now there's AD, BA, DY, DE, and EK. Not bad! FLL will never be MIA, but it's holding its own.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

a380787

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:51 pm

I recall a few years ago someone proclaimed how European airlines only head to MIA. Right now, FLL is linked to CPH OSL ARN LGW CDG FRA BCN. Boy have they been proven wrong =)

GVIIO

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:56 pm

This was a huge shock to me, not trying to be this guy but I really don't understand the appeal to FLL as of late, airport is incredibly outdated and with limited space and resources. Why wouldn't BA add a third flight to MIA or fly LGW-MIA as MIA can obviously be considered a leisure market also.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:16 pm

GVIIO wrote:
This was a huge shock to me, not trying to be this guy but I really don't understand the appeal to FLL as of late, airport is incredibly outdated and with limited space and resources. Why wouldn't BA add a third flight to MIA or fly LGW-MIA as MIA can obviously be considered a leisure market also.

Cruise traffic. Port Everglades is the third busiest cruise port in the world, and is located just a few miles from FLL.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

cornishsimon

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:30 pm

this will be as a result of some sort of BA holidays tie up with a cruise line
great news for LGW and BA

where is the frame coming from ?

cs

paulstjohn

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:31 pm

azz767
Even if Runway 3 at Heathrow is finally approved it will be at least another 10 years before it is operational. So it makes perfect sense to take competition
to Norwegian at Gatwick.

jfklganyc

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:33 pm

FLL has the leisure aspect. Also, let's face it, this is all about DY. Would never be served if not.

FLL is a hell hole. The low ceilings and narrow concourses make it the LaGuardia of Florida

Miami

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:36 pm

Awesome news. Congrats to FLL and BA.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Things in South Florida are getting really interesting.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

paulstjohn

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Cornishsimon
I believe as more 787s are delivered to LHR more 777s are gradually being allocated to Gatwick.

303dk

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:45 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
FLL has the leisure aspect. Also, let's face it, this is all about DY. Would never be served if not.

FLL is a hell hole. The low ceilings and narrow concourses make it the LaGuardia of Florida
Terminal 4 is beautiful, open, and airy with lots of room. I'm sure that's where BA will be.

ryan78

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:47 pm

GVIIO wrote:

I go down to the Florida Keys quite a bit and my personal preference is flying into FLL over MIA. It adds almost 30 mins to my drive but MIA is just way too big. I've landed in FLL at 10:30am and been in my rental car by 11am. Plus FLL road network is really easy to get to and from. It sure beats getting on the train in MIA to the rental car area then having to navigate through the never-ending ramps and exits to get onto the highway, not to mention traffic and construction on the 826 & 836 (This was last year, so it may be finished now). In short, I've done both airports multiple times and I prefer FLL. However I recently connected through MIA down to SXM on AA and I enjoyed that, it was my first time to the North-D terminal and it was very nice. Way better then South-J or Central-F, the other two concourses I've flown in and out of before (Air Canada & Westjet). South Florida is getting more & more crowded with Europeans, time for us Canadians to find a new spot! :lol:

LHRFlyer

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:49 pm

It's a useful addition, but the flight times are quite early, particularly on the inbound to LGW.

A BA A380 is also infinitely preferable to a three class Boeing 777.

If I was doing a trip to South Florida, I would probably fly LGW-FLL and MIA-LHR.

787fan8

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:57 pm

This route makes sense, as FLL is more leisure oriented than MIA. Could we see LH respond with a CityLine service?
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

BestWestern

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:58 pm

People fly to the city because of the destination and not because of how beautiful the terminal is.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

ScottB

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:58 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

The only facilities about which that statement is accurate are Terminal 3 and Concourse H in Terminal 4 which will be replaced in less than two years. MIA has its own hell hole sections like Concourse E (and its CBP facility). Terminal 1 is quite nice IMO.

KTPAFlyer

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Not going to lie, I'm pissed that they Gatwicked FL again with a 777, se la vié. IMHO it would've made far more sense to put a 787 to LHR, and I'm sure there will be people that say the LGW-FL is good for leisure, but that's coming from the same crowd that thought that LGW needed another runway over LHR. BA may never realize that there is more than leisure traffic to FL, but hopefully VS has the sense to launch LHR for biz in the future. But overall, this is fantastic news for FLL and kudos to their team for attracting new carriers, whoever is in charge deserves a raise!

airbazar

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:13 pm

GVIIO wrote:

People don't fly from London to FLL to go visit the airport :)
FLL is closer than MIA to the places where tourists are staying and visiting. Miami is fun but it's expensive and not really why people fly from Europe. They fly in for the beaches of the Gold Coast and the inexpensive condos along those beaches. And for that FLL is more convenient.

lesfalls

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:15 pm

787fan8 wrote:
This route makes sense, as FLL is more leisure oriented than MIA. Could we see LH respond with a CityLine service?

Condor already flies FLL-FRA(not sure wether it's seasonal or year around) so I don't think it would make sense for LH to also start FRA-FLL.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

flymia

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:21 pm

Good to see this. Not too long ago FLL was just an domestic airport with some connections to the Caribbean and Central America, it has really grown to be a true second gateway to Southeast Florida. While another BA flight at MIA would be great, its a good thing for the market to have different options at different airports, and really shows how much the Miami metro has grown with the long haul service FLL now has with DY, Azul, BA, DE and EK.

Certainly, one can imagine its a response to DY, and it would be nice to see competitive fares on the route. I would have no problem driving 30-40mins to FLL if it saved $200 a ticket. Would not be surprised if it has a lot to do with cruise traffic. While the world's busiest cruise ship port is 8 miles from MIA, the 2nd busiest cruise ship port in the world is a few miles from FLL.

a380787 wrote:
I recall a few years ago someone proclaimed how European airlines only head to MIA. Right now, FLL is linked to CPH OSL ARN LGW CDG FRA BCN. Boy have they been proven wrong =)

While I did not expect this expansion years ago, its certainly a good thing for the area. That being said, lets relax with FLL can do what MIA does. All the destinations you pointed out are weekly flights, some as low as 2 flights a week, FRA is seasonal. Meanwhile MIA has more flights to Europe in a day than FLL has in two weeks. But, this is good for FLL and Southeast Florida in general.

ryan78 wrote:
GVIIO wrote:
I go down to the Florida Keys quite a bit and my personal preference is flying into FLL over MIA. It adds almost 30 mins to my drive but MIA is just way too big. I've landed in FLL at 10:30am and been in my rental car by 11am. Plus FLL road network is really easy to get to and from. It sure beats getting on the train in MIA to the rental car area then having to navigate through the never-ending ramps and exits to get onto the highway, not to mention traffic and construction on the 826 & 836 (This was last year, so it may be finished now). In short, I've done both airports multiple times and I prefer FLL. However I recently connected through MIA down to SXM on AA and I enjoyed that, it was my first time to the North-D terminal and it was very nice. Way better then South-J or Central-F, the other two concourses I've flown in and out of before (Air Canada & Westjet). South Florida is getting more & more crowded with Europeans, time for us Canadians to find a new spot! :lol:

The thing about FLL is two things though. 1. The facilities as they are now, are very subpar, especially for departing international flights. But, thats suppose to improve with the new terminal project, a terminal I have not been in yet. Also, while MIA customs is an issue, because FLL customs is so small, when its busy, its crazy as well. The construction issue is pretty much done now at MIA also with the highway roadwork. But with any urban airport, traffic is an issue. When someone is renting a car, it makes plenty of sense to chose FLL over MIA to save money.

ScottB wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

The only facilities about which that statement is accurate are Terminal 3 and Concourse H in Terminal 4 which will be replaced in less than two years. MIA has its own hell hole sections like Concourse E (and its CBP facility). Terminal 1 is quite nice IMO.

While terminal 1 is nice and modern, its small, all the terminals are small, crowded and have little to no amenities. Terminal 2 is large, but also old, terminal 3 is a disaster, especially in the morning and evenings. I have not been inside terminal 4 for years now, so can't say much about it. I know improvements are being made.
Last edited by flymia on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

8herveg

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:23 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, how is DY now serving FLL make BA want to as well? 1) Is there enough demand for two airlines operating the route and 2) why didn't BA just launch it before DY did and try and get as much of a monopoly on the route before any other airline launched it as well, and charge higher prices?

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:30 pm

enilria wrote:
Makes less sense for MSY at LHR.

Repeating the same thing isn't going to make it less nonsensical than the last half-dozen times you said it.

The market sought LHR. The incentives were for LHR. The corporate agreements made were for LHR and beyond. The network connections provided by LHR were targeted. The most efficient aircraft for launching the route was solely based at LHR.

....and lo and behold, the airline gave them -------(wait for it)------- LHR.
It's not a difficult concept as to why. Seriously, it isn't.

paulstjohn wrote:
I believe as more 787s are delivered to LHR more 777s are gradually being allocated to Gatwick.

77Es getting denser too
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Interesting also to note, this aircraft is presumably free on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays... which would make for decent business schedule for a new 3xWk route somewhere.

Can anyone say whether the ship is already committed on those days?
If not, perhaps we could lookout for yet another route/destination launch! :) :o

MAH4546

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Long overdue. And a good way to add capacity to the Miami market while holding the line on premium capacity between Miami and Heathrow.

airbazar wrote:
GVIIO wrote:

People don't fly from London to FLL to go visit the airport :)
FLL is closer than MIA to the places where tourists are staying and visiting. Miami is fun but it's expensive and not really why people fly from Europe. They fly in for the beaches of the Gold Coast and the inexpensive condos along those beaches. And for that FLL is more convenient.

No way. MIA is closer, especially for European tourists. But, still, the market is there for this.
a.

flymia

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:53 pm

airbazar wrote:

This is certainly true for some visitors, mainly European families and older adults, but a very large amount of tourist, especially younger visitors or visitors without kids come to visit Miami. In the scheme of things someone visiting Ft. Lauderdale is still in the Miami area and will see Miami things, but the clubs, bars and restaurants of South Beach are not filled with European tourist for no reason. Of course Miami area has a much higher draw in business traffic as well, but its still more tourist than not on those flights.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:59 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Long overdue.

Amen. Wondering what took so long.

That said, what route/frequency did they give up to free the ship for this?

Miami

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:08 pm

lesfalls wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

Condor already flies FLL-FRA(not sure wether it's seasonal or year around) so I don't think it would make sense for LH to also start FRA-FLL.

Condor has stop flying to FLL.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

TheLion

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:04 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Long overdue.

Amen. Wondering what took so long.

That said, what route/frequency did they give up to free the ship for this?

As a longtime lurker, reader and monitor of your fascinating discussions, I thought it's finally time to contribute, and this is an interesting way to begin!

The BA route you speak of is likely to be the frame that was pulled off the PHL frequency which was taken over by AA:

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... on-changes

They also announced an extra flight to Kingston, a fourth weekly, from April, however they are already serving KIN 4 weekly in Summer on days 1357, not 1245 as mentioned in this article and in travel press info, so this probably isn't relevant.

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/b ... ce-jamaica

So with this probable extra frame, it could mean there’s further frequency increases in the offing, or another new route 2-3 weekly. If so, I think it could be HAV as the world and his dog are launching flights left right and centre there from Europe as well as the US atm.

Armodeen

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:19 pm

LHRFlyer wrote:
It's a useful addition, but the flight times are quite early, particularly on the inbound to LGW.

A BA A380 is also infinitely preferable to a three class Boeing 777.

If I was doing a trip to South Florida, I would probably fly LGW-FLL and MIA-LHR.

However, if you want avios availability, FLL is the place to be right now (for the next day or two, anyway).

jeffh747

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:01 pm

I surely was not expecting this! It's great to see FLL continue to attract new longhaul airlines. Seeing Norwegian and Azul come was very exciting. But now seeing two MAJOR carriers in Emirates and British Airways come, this is on another level. FLL is certainly holding it's own as an alternative to MIA. It's much less crowded, easier to get around, and a great airport to fly into if travelling to South Florida and the Palm Beaches. Welcome BA!
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

AMS18C36C

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:08 pm

First MSY, now FLL. If BA keeps this up, what will happen to all of the 'where in the US will BA fly to next' threads? ;)

mbm3

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:12 pm

I really have to think this is much more about an "eff you" to Norwegian and MAYBE a cruise contract more than anything. First we see Air France dumps cheap fares in Boston (check BOS - CPH) and now BA adds LGW - FLL. What is next, one of the Lufthansa Group dumping fares from another Norwegian gateway?
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

atlflyer

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:13 pm

FLL should definitely improve in coming years.

http://www.broward.org/Airport/fllair/P ... fault.aspx

njdevilsin03

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Well good things come in 3s... Maybe there is one more International Destination out of left field on the horizon. Emirates, BA and ????
717, 727, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 753, 762, 763, 777, DC9, MD80, DC10, L1011, ERJ, CRJ, ATR, DH8, A300,

a380787

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:21 pm

njdevilsin03 wrote:
Well good things come in 3s... Maybe there is one more International Destination out of left field on the horizon. Emirates, BA and ????

Right now the Brazillian economy is still trying to recover, but when that day arrives, I see Azul (AD) making a play for FLL-CNF to compliment their existing FLL-VCP.

NichCage

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm sure British Airways will do well on the LGW-FLL & FLL-LGW routes. Service to MIA will continue because it serves a much different market. I never thought that British Airways would ever touch down in FLL.

jfk777

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Never saw this one coming, why not fly Gatwick to Miami ?

727LOVER

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:45 pm

I was hoping they would try PBI to bracket the area. I guess PBI won't be having transatlantic for a while :(

Interestingly, the flight #s are 2169/2168

TPA's are 2167/2166

From the article:
The route will be operated by a 777-200 aircraft three days a week

TWO 777 flights announced within weeks...BUT YET........weren't we TOLD that FLL couldn't handle a 777? :lol:

jfk777 wrote:

Because they are flying LGW-FLL
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:45 pm

jfk777 wrote:

Both they and VS have attempted that in the past, and it worked for neither.

MAH4546

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:52 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

That's not exactly accurate.

Virgin Atlantic simply transferred Miami service from Gatwick to Heathrow in 2003.

British Airways made a major consolidation of long-haul routes in 2001 and stopped the strategy of splitting destinations between Heathrow and Gatwick. Miami was consolidated to Heathrow.

American Airlines flew Miami-Gatwick for one summer season in 1996, and that would be an example of it not working.

There is certainly a market for Miami-Gatwick if an airline wished to fly it, but short of Norwegian moving South Florida ops to MIA (which is apparently something being discussed), there's nobody to fly it.
a.

Miami

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:52 pm

727LOVER wrote:
TWO 777 flights announced within weeks...BUT YET........weren't we TOLD that FLL couldn't handle a 777? :lol:

I don't know who said that, but FLL has handled the 777 before.

Now on the other hand, the 77W would be really tough to handle at FLL.

flymia

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:53 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Both flew LGW routes because they had to under the Bermuda Agreement. VS flew MIA-LGW for over a decade until it was allowed to fly to LHR. It was regulations forcing them to fly to LGW, they had no issues whatsoever filling those airplanes either. But once there was no longer a need to fly to LGW they stopped and moved all routes to LHR.

Here, LGW suits FLL much more, especially given the higher density 777 is based out of LGW.

jeffh747 wrote:
FLL is certainly holding it's own as an alternative to MIA. It's much less crowded, easier to get around, and a great airport to fly into if travelling to South Florida and the Palm Beaches. Welcome BA!

This is simply not the case anymore. The arrival area is packed with traffic during the busy periods. The terminals are packed to capacity with little place to even sit during the morning and evening rush, the amenities are no where near as good as MIA. It is an alternative, and often cheaper than MIA, and certainly holds its own as a major airport, but its not some great easy to use alternative to avoid traffic and crowds it once was. It has grown, into a major airport.

727LOVER

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:53 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Miami wrote:
don't know who said that, but FLL has handled the 777 before. .

Slight error on my part...it was FLL can not handle Emirates But since the 777 is the smallest thing that EK flies to the states....SAME THING

reply #60

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=597267&hilit=EK+FLL&start=50

pay special attention to replies 13, 14 & 18

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=594649&p=9281285&hilit=EK+FLL#p9281285

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:37 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

I'd have to respectfully disagree.

If it didn't work out, it didn't work out:
What difference does it make whether that's due to opportunity cost, market dilution, or lack of revenue?

MAH4546

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:45 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I'd have to respectfully disagree.

If it didn't work out, it didn't work out:
What difference does it make whether that's due to opportunity cost, market dilution, or lack of revenue?

Virgin Atlantic flew Miami-Gatwick for seventeen years. It worked out. It worked out so well that the service was transferred to the higher-yielding airport, with planes configured with more premium seats.

British Airways flew Miami-Gatwick for about ten years, launching it in the early 90s to compliment 10w LHR service (3w on Concorde). It consolidated at Heathrow. It worked; Heathrow works better, that's obvious.
a.

n272wa
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:36 am

I really laugh at some of you guys who think you are airline CEO's with your previous assertions such as :

"EK will never serve FLL...."
"BA will never come to MSY..."

It really does make for fun reading when you and your crazy theories are proved wrong.

Well done to FLL on getting EK and now BA!

Miami

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:23 am

727LOVER wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Miami wrote:
don't know who said that, but FLL has handled the 777 before. .

Slight error on my part...it was FLL can not handle Emirates But since the 777 is the smallest thing that EK flies to the states....SAME THING

reply #60

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=597267&hilit=EK+FLL&start=50

pay special attention to replies 13, 14 & 18

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=594649&p=9281285&hilit=EK+FLL#p9281285

Funny how you are targeting me.. Shocker..

FLL has gone through lots of changes (and still is) so what I said in the past doesn't count now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos