Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

log0008
Topic Author

3 New China - London Routes Applied for

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:15 am

3 airlines have applied to the CAAC for new routes to London in 2017, assuming it will be LGW

- Hainan Airlines plans to launch a 3x weekly Changsha and London service in April 2017
- Tianjin Airlines intends to start a 3x weekly Tianjin-Xi'an-London route in May 2017
- Beijing Capital Airlines to launch a 3x weekly Qingdao-London service in July 2017.

English source: http://www.chinaaviationdaily.com/news/57/57457.html

kaitak

Re: 3 New China - London Routes Applied for

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:50 am

It will probably have to be LGW, unless any of these carriers can afford a slot at LHR.

BestWestern

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:53 am

They are all the same airline group - with HNA as their shareholder. They can afford Heathrow slots, but since the passenger base will be 95% Chinese tour groups, choice of airport doesn't matter.

These are yet another example of government subsidised routes.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

CARST

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm

BestWestern wrote:
They are all the same airline group - with HNA as their shareholder. They can afford Heathrow slots, but since the passenger base will be 95% Chinese tour groups, choice of airport doesn't matter.

While the flights might mainly transport Chinese tourists, I think this assessment is wrong. We are talking about service to huge cities here. Way larger than London actually. The 1.3 billion Chinese people are not only living in Beijing and Shanghai.

City & inhabitants:
Qingdao 9,046,200
Xi'an 13,569,700
Tianjin 15,469,500
Changsha 7,431,800

If you include the larger metropolitan areas and smaller cities these cities' airports serve, the numbers are even higher (despite these numbers already including the urban city and the areas around it). I think we can assume we will see much more flights to China soon, also from the European and American legacy carriers.

BestWestern

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:24 pm

And they cannot be operated profitably whilst the Chinese government absorbes international route losses.

log0008
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:29 pm

CARST wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

While the flights might mainly transport Chinese tourists, I think this assessment is wrong. We are talking about service to huge cities here. Way larger than London actually. The 1.3 billion Chinese people are not only living in Beijing and Shanghai.

City & inhabitants:
Qingdao 9,046,200
Xi'an 13,569,700
Tianjin 15,469,500
Changsha 7,431,800

If you include the larger metropolitan areas and smaller cities these cities' airports serve, the numbers are even higher (despite these numbers already including the urban city and the areas around it). I think we can assume we will see much more flights to China soon, also from the European and American legacy carriers.

And that there is what is going to drive a massive change in the coming decade. There are 20 cities in China that are larger than London, just imagine if Chinese people traveled even at 1/2 the amount Americans and Europeans do today, you could effectively have 15 routes to London the size of London to New York! While it won't be that extreme it will be game changing. It is quite likely that the China-London market will one day match the Us-uk market.

usflyer123

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:29 pm

the current amount of China-UK flights is way smaller than the size of this huge market, hope these services will get approved.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

log0008
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:31 pm

BestWestern wrote:
And they cannot be operated profitably whilst the Chinese government absorbes international route losses.

It not actually as true as it used to be, most routes out of china will break even within the standard 2 year period that any new international route does the bonuses only act to stop of losses prior to that.

BobPatterson

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:58 pm

BestWestern wrote:

Why can't they be operated profitably if pax numbers are high and they pay decent fares?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

a380787

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:14 pm

It's still the onerous (albeit slightly relaxed) visa regime that deters visits. A holder of a mainland chinese passport can go through all the process just for a UK visa, or do the same for a Schengen one and access everything from Milan to Paris to Madrid and everything in between.

From many parts of the world, including North America, Southwest Pacific, South Asia, and the Arabian nations, visitation preference for UK (and particularly London) is completely lopsided versus that of continental Europe. Northeast Asia, including China, stand out as an exception to that general rule.

incitatus

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 pm

CARST wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

City & inhabitants:
Qingdao 9,046,200
Xi'an 13,569,700
Tianjin 15,469,500
Changsha 7,431,800

I love quoting stats too, but we got to do it with a little of context. Depending on how one defines Greater London there are as many people in London as in Xian. If we look at the catchment area of London's airports and Xian, London's airports have even more people to serve. Not to mention the economy of that area and the number of people who can afford air travel around London are orders of magnitude larger than in Xian. Just having people doesn't bring air service. Look at Pakistan or Congo.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

SCQ83

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:27 pm

log0008 wrote:
And that there is what is going to drive a massive change in the coming decade. There are 20 cities in China that are larger than London, just imagine if Chinese people traveled even at 1/2 the amount Americans and Europeans do today, you could effectively have 15 routes to London the size of London to New York! While it won't be that extreme it will be game changing. It is quite likely that the China-London market will one day match the Us-uk market.

I read the other day that only 4% of Chinese have passports, and the expectation is to increase to 12% in the next decade. Of course 4% is already more than 50 million people which is more people than all of Canada or Spain (and not everybody on those countries will travel abroad). And I am sure most of them just travel to the typical Hong Kong / Macau / Seoul / Bangkok / Singapore and that stuff, so a fewer percentage of those 4% travel to Europe or the US. So probably those Chinese tourists touring Rome, Amsterdam or Los Angeles are, in a way, part of the 1%

So not comparable by any means with Europe.

Here it is

http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinkin ... report.pdf

smi0006

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:43 pm

The HNA group has confused me- why not role it into a single brand/airline? The synergies must be significant at this stage, not to mention the advantage of brand awareness? They don't seem to operate in different market spaces either (eg LCC vs Legacy).

log0008
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:30 pm

smi0006 wrote:
The HNA group has confused me- why not role it into a single brand/airline? The synergies must be significant at this stage, not to mention the advantage of brand awareness? They don't seem to operate in different market spaces either (eg LCC vs Legacy).

It comes down to limits of how many times each airline can fly a route daily domesticly, so they set up a second airline.Brand Awarness in China is not like the west, Chinese like to fly on an airline that is based in there city.

Also when making my point above I am talking about the next 30 years, by which time forcasts show 45% of Chinese will have passports.

CARST

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:57 am

incitatus wrote:
I love quoting stats too, but we got to do it with a little of context. Depending on how one defines Greater London there are as many people in London as in Xian. If we look at the catchment area of London's airports and Xian, London's airports have even more people to serve. Not to mention the economy of that area and the number of people who can afford air travel around London are orders of magnitude larger than in Xian. Just having people doesn't bring air service. Look at Pakistan or Congo.

Of course all statistics have to be viewed in a certain context, but what you and some others don't seem to get is that China has transformed massively in the last 30 years. You have 20 cities in China ass large as the Western mega hubs. Air traffic will grow in these areas as quick as it did in the West in the 80s and 90s. IMHO it will even outgrow our Western airtraffic, because the distances in China are way larger. Alone Chinese domestic traffic will be unbelievable huge. Something we can't dream of today.

And while I get what you are aiming at, basically "not everyone is rich enough to fly in China", that does not matter, because even if 80 percent are poor (which is not true), the other 20% are either middle-class people (who can afford to travel) or belong to the really rich people. In 2015 China had a little over 300 billionaires (growth YTY +25%), only the USA have more. They are also number two on the number of millionaires, over 4 million millionaires (in US-Dollar) and are in the process of overtaking the USA on that number. The middle class now larger than in the USA, with 109 million people (yearly income between 50.000 and 500.000 USD)...

Don't underestimate what is going on in China and the other growing markets in this world. We (the West) are small compared what is and will go on over there...

CARST

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:08 am

SCQ83 wrote:
I read the other day that only 4% of Chinese have passports, and the expectation is to increase to 12% in the next decade. Of course 4% is already more than 50 million people which is more people than all of Canada or Spain (and not everybody on those countries will travel abroad). And I am sure most of them just travel to the typical Hong Kong / Macau / Seoul / Bangkok / Singapore and that stuff, so a fewer percentage of those 4% travel to Europe or the US. So probably those Chinese tourists touring Rome, Amsterdam or Los Angeles are, in a way, part of the 1%

Here it is

You are interpreting your own stats wrong. You say 50 million Chinese people have a passport. More people than people living in most Western (more or less rich) countries. And because you assume that only 25% of these passport holders travel the World, you assume that the market is smaller in China than compared to our markets in the West.

This is plain wrong.Have you ever asked yourself how many people in the Western world can afford to travel? How many people from Canada, Spain, Germany, the UK, Italy, France or the USA can afford to travel the world (intercontinental travel) or just don't do it because they have no interest? Just look up how few US-Americans own a passort and have ever left the country. You probably will be shocked.

ZuluTime

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:24 am

Hainan have been granted slots at Heathrow for 3x weekly Changsha service. The others did not get slots at LHR, and Tianjin did not get the extra morning slots they had also requested at Gatwick.

BobPatterson

Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:17 am

CARST wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Here it is

You are interpreting your own stats wrong. You say 50 million Chinese people have a passport. More people than people living in most Western (more or less rich) countries. And because you assume that only 25% of these passport holders travel the World, you assume that the market is smaller in China than compared to our markets in the West.

This is plain wrong.Have you ever asked yourself how many people in the Western world can afford to travel? How many people from Canada, Spain, Germany, the UK, Italy, France or the USA can afford to travel the world (intercontinental travel) or just don't do it because they have no interest? Just look up how few US-Americans own a passport and have ever left the country. You probably will be shocked.

Valid U.S. Passports in 2012 totaled 113,431,943 (36% of population) and is growing by almost 15 million per year (no doubt some were issued to persons now deceased). About 10% of these recently are passport cards which can't be used for air travel. Only reason my wife and I have passports is so we can get back home from Canada. We have no interest in traveling elsewhere. There is too much to see and do in this country. Several of our kids/grandkids do travel widely.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

readytotaxi

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:10 pm

Follows on the heels of this I think.

http://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-an ... al-britain

"Under the new deal passenger flights can now increase from the current maximum of 40 per week for each nation to up to 100."
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

ZuluTime

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Update - Beijing Capital Airlines has also been awarded some Heathrow slots - two slots (Mondays and Fridays) for an evening A330 service from Hangzhou via Qingdao.

SonomaFlyer

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:55 pm

If they are considered tourist heavy flights, the London airport choice wouldn't be as important. LHR slots are nice for that "prestige" factor and for connecting but STN has plenty of room and LGW has slots though not always at the best times.

winterlight

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Beijing Capital Airlines LHR slots confirmed.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... le-in-w17/
Question everything. Trust no-one.

GCT64

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:02 pm

and still no LHR-SZX service!, surely that must come soon (although not soon enough for my trip next week)
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

tphuang

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:52 pm

It's crazy to me Shenzhen does not have service there but Changsha does.

GCT64

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:00 pm

tphuang wrote:

Glad someone else agrees with me :-)
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

zakuivcustom

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:00 pm

HKG is still too close I guess.

But somebody will open that route sooner or later. Whether it'll make money or not is another thing.

TWA772LR

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:12 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

HKG is still too close I guess.

But somebody will open that route sooner or later. Whether it'll make money or not is another thing.

As is Guangzhou, also a mega-hub.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

winterlight

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:12 pm

LHR already has a Guangzhou service.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

zakuivcustom

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:52 pm

As is Guangzhou, also a mega-hub.

Except it takes almost 2 hours (without traffic, that is) from most of Shenzhen proper to CAN no matter if it's HSR, "slow" rail, or driving. On the other hand, it'll be about an hour between Shenzhen proper and HKG with ferry.

LAX772LR

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:02 pm

CARST wrote:

City & inhabitants:
Qingdao 9,046,200
Xi'an 13,569,700
Tianjin 15,469,500
Changsha 7,431,800

Half of whom likely couldn't afford bus fare, let alone intercon airfare. Talk about "context" :roll:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

thekorean

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 pm

Wonder if eventually some of them will turn to STN...

Cunard

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:24 pm

winterlight wrote:

I think the poster was referring to the proximity of Hong Kong in reference to Guangzhou as being a mega hub!

As we're all aware of China Southern Airways operate London Heathrow to Guangzhou daily with a Boeing 788 and have done for the last four years.

Shenzhen also being a mega hub and also in fairly close proximity to Hong Kong currently has no service to London which considering it's size and importance is rather surprising but maybe the market is adequately served for now by either Guangzhou and Hong Kong.

Tianjin Airlines had filed for Xian to LGW and the schedules were uploaded start start date of September 2017 but a few months ago they were zeroed out.

If Xian and Chengdu between them can't support a London route and Shenzen not even on the radar what other Chinese cities can really sustain new flights to London.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

c933103

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Cunard wrote:
winterlight wrote:

I think the poster was referring to the proximity of Hong Kong in reference to Guangzhou as being a mega hub!

As we're all aware of China Southern Airways operate London Heathrow to Guangzhou daily with a Boeing 788 and have done for the last four years.

Shenzhen also being a mega hub and also in fairly close proximity to Hong Kong currently has no service to London which considering it's size and importance is rather surprising but maybe the market is adequately served for now by either Guangzhou and Hong Kong.

Tianjin Airlines had filed for Xian to LGW and the schedules were uploaded start start date of September 2017 but a few months ago they were zeroed out.

If Xian and Chengdu between them can't support a London route and Shenzen not even on the radar what other Chinese cities can really sustain new flights to London.

Comparatively Guangzhou and Hongkong aren't that close, they are only slightly closer than the distance between Amsterdam and Brussels.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

skipness1E

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:20 am

They're right on top of each other in terms of international competing airports.

BestWestern

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:31 am

Again, they can sustain routes thanks to central government and local government subsidies.

Shenzhen isn't a regional capital and doesn't have as much local governmental strength.

The HKG china ferry takes 30 minutes. When I lived in a shenzhen, I was often home quicker (hand luggage) than my consultant who lived on HK island.

The new HKG tsuen wan tunnel will reduce road access time to shenzhen by 30 minutes.

CARST

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 am

CARST wrote:

City & inhabitants:
Qingdao 9,046,200
Xi'an 13,569,700
Tianjin 15,469,500
Changsha 7,431,800

LAX772LR wrote:
Half of whom likely couldn't afford bus fare, let alone intercon airfare. Talk about "context"

Sorry LAX772LR, but this is not out of context at all. I said in a post above already that most of you totally underestimate the transformation China has been going through in the past 20 years. Since 2016 China has worldwide the most billionaires (before the USA), they were number six in millionaires in 2015, numbers rising quickly and the average household income, especially in metropolitan areas has been rising quickly, too. All that, while the costs of living for most people are at 20-50% of the costs in Western cities of the same size.

Quantile of inhabitants Income in Renminbi Income in US-Dollar
5 % 1.000 ¥ $ 170
10 % 2.000 ¥ $ 340
25 % 4.500 ¥ $ 765
50 % 9.000 ¥ $ 1530
75 % 15.900 ¥ $ 2703
90 % 25.800 ¥ $ 4386
95 % 34.300 ¥ $ 5831

Source: Beijing university study, 2012 incomes

Quoted in: https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2014/jan/21/china-british-virgin-islands-wealth-offshore-havens

This should show you that 30-50% of the inhabitants in these cities have the money to travel on longhaul trips.

AA100

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:38 am

CARST wrote:
CARST wrote:

City & inhabitants:
Qingdao 9,046,200
Xi'an 13,569,700
Tianjin 15,469,500
Changsha 7,431,800

LAX772LR wrote:
Half of whom likely couldn't afford bus fare, let alone intercon airfare. Talk about "context"

Sorry LAX772LR, but this is not out of context at all. I said in a post above already that most of you totally underestimate the transformation China has been going through in the past 20 years. Since 2016 China has worldwide the most billionaires (before the USA), they were number six in millionaires in 2015, numbers rising quickly and the average household income, especially in metropolitan areas has been rising quickly, too. All that, while the costs of living for most people are at 20-50% of the costs in Western cities of the same size.

Quantile of inhabitants Income in Renminbi Income in US-Dollar
5 % 1.000 ¥ $ 170
10 % 2.000 ¥ $ 340
25 % 4.500 ¥ $ 765
50 % 9.000 ¥ $ 1530
75 % 15.900 ¥ $ 2703
90 % 25.800 ¥ $ 4386
95 % 34.300 ¥ $ 5831

Source: Beijing university study, 2012 incomes

Quoted in: https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2014/jan/21/china-british-virgin-islands-wealth-offshore-havens

This should show you that 30-50% of the inhabitants in these cities have the money to travel on longhaul trips.

China has indeed transformed and grown at enormous rates with its population now in a position to travel internationally much more than even a few years ago. That is evident by the large number of tour groups and overseas students.

However, that growth internationally is still led by the 'main cities' of Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou. The people living in these cities are far more educated, have higher salaries, and much more desire for international lifestyles than their counterparts in 'smaller cities' within China. There has been explosive airline growth from both Chinese and international carriers out of these cities - all justified and mainly successful.

What analysts have gotten wrong is the growth speeds and behaviour of other Chinese cities within China. Routes have expanded from secondary cities but they have not seen the same type of growth and strength as their PVG/PEK counterparts. Routes like BA's LHR-CTU and United's SFO-HGH come to mind. BA made a massive thing about launching it's first Chinese route out of Shanghai and Beijing, yet it could not even sustain a 787-8 a few frequencies a week. The demand was not there like it was expected. Yes tour groups were there - but cheap tour group packages cannot sustain intercontinental air routes. The mix of traffic: Premium, business, flex Economy and Tour group is not yet mature in these markets. No doubt is is continuing to transform and it is coming... but I personally wouldn't look at a 13million pop city in China and just assume it can sustain a service to London. It really isn't like that. It is also the reason why the subsidized local Chinese airlines are the ones starting Qingdao/Tianjin/Changsha to Europe/USA services. They can afford to do low frequency flights and fill with package tours (of which there are many). This does not equal high profit.

China is still transforming - the regional cities will continue to grow and international travel to and from these cities will grow but unlike what many people have predicted wrongly already - this is not here yet.

LAX772LR

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 am

CARST wrote:
Since 2016 China has worldwide the most billionaires (before the USA), they were number six in millionaires in 2015

...and they're overwhelmingly concentrated in two cities, relative to all the rest. Even adding CAN is a bit of a comparative stretch.

I completely stand by what I said.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

CARST

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:48 am

LAX772LR wrote:
CARST wrote:
Since 2016 China has worldwide the most billionaires (before the USA), they were number six in millionaires in 2015

...and they're overwhelmingly concentrated in two cities, relative to all the rest. Even adding CAN is a bit of a comparative stretch.

I completely stand by what I said.

The data might be questinable, but on median income, Tianjin & Quingdao are ranked above Shanghai and Beijing. I found no data on Changsha, but I on the whole subject I still stand by my assumption that the secondary cities in China soon will outgrow most European and American cities and thus in combination with the yearly growth of wealth will also get more international service...

Monthly income average:
- Beijing at 17000 CNY median income: http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-su ... &loctype=2
- Shanghai at 20800 CNY median income: http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-su ... &loctype=2
- Tianjin at 27400 CNY median income: http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-su ... &loctype=2
- Qingdao at 35000 CNY median income: http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-su ... &loctype=3

CARST

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:53 am

This Report here is highly fascinating, it shows the average income by region & city in China, as well as minimum income and other notable factors. It was produced by the German Chamber of Commerce for China.

http://china.ahk.de/fileadmin/ahk_china ... report.pdf

It is quite interesting to see that Shanghai and Beijing don't have the top ranks...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos