Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DL_Mech

Re: AA aircraft on fire @ORD

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:25 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
It has been done. Many years ago DL had a MD88 damaged at LGA. The wing was replaced. It was an almost new airplane. I doubt that AA will go to those lengths for this airframe

It happened in 1991 at ATL. McDonnell Douglas replaced the left wing (new from factory) and part of the fuselage skin. The plane is still flying today.

http://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001212X16907&key=1
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

StTim

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:39 am

flyDTW1992 wrote:
Natflyer wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
CNN also reporting uncontained engine failure, with debris from the "fan disc" found half a mile away.

Hey whats with CNN tonight? Two airliner accidents and no quotes from Mary Schiavo or Les Abend? Richard Quest?

Their new Aviation Editor, Mr. Ostrower, already showing his influence? :)

Where is the thumbs up smiley?

G-CIVP

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:00 am

"I am surprised that based on this video, it appears that cabin crew is not shouting instructions for prompt evacuation (as opposed to recent Emirates 777 evacuation)".

Remember you are only seeing part of the Cabin, which is the front First/Club section and was seemingly filmed in the very early stages of the evacuation. I suspect the majority of the Cabin crew were at the mid-section and aft opening doors and checking for available exits, then assisting passengers.

Heavierthanair

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:08 am

G'day,

so we now have an intact left wing on that 767 and an intact right wing on the DC10, both with good engines. That would allow to rebuild at least one aircraft, minimizing the overall damage. Having somewhat different wings and engines on either side will result in slightly asymmetric drag and lift. Nothing however that cannot be resolved with application of some rudder and aileron during flight. The aircraft would be ideal for advanced pilot training, in particular for manual flying. Et voilà, another problem is fixed.
With two separate airlines and likely two separate insurance companies having to agree on procedures and financing, this deal is unlikely to go through before the remains of the two aircraft have corroded away.

as for CNN's Robert Quest reporting on this incident he would likely start with "A DC9 superjumbo jetliner operated by a foreign low cost carrier exploded today while attempting to become airborne in stormy weather nearly killing everyone aboard ......"

Cheers

Peter
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955)

JeremyB

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:22 am

tjerome wrote:
DanM64 wrote:
Here's a pic from Reuters, definitely damage to the skin and the horizontal stabilizer.

That image isn't showing up for me but this is the same exact picture: http://glocdn.investing.com/trkd-images ... R1E7_L.jpg

The fuselage is definitely damaged as you can see forward of the rear cargo door. Not as bad as the BA 777 in terms of depth of damage, but in terms of size the whole right wing is toast (pun intended).

I know the bird is only 13.5 years old but I think it's a write off. If they try to replace the wing by pulling it off of a bird in the desert I think they'd run into problems getting it airworthy and certified.

EDIT: Planespotters.net has it as written off. https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... n-Airlines

Planespotters.net was also the first one to list G-VIIO as a write off. The plane is severely damaged and don't think it will be repaired, but lets wait to see what American says about the bird.

I also came across an article in the independent, was actually a rather good article, but something that immediately got my attention was this:

"Passenger Sarah Ahmed told WLS-TV the plane was speeding down the runway when she heard an explosion and saw flames and black smoke. She said everyone on the right side of the aircraft jumped from their seats and moved to the left side. "People are yelling, 'Open the door! Open the door!' Everyone's screaming and jumping on top of each other to open the door," Ahmed said. "Within that time, I think it was seven seconds, there was now smoke in the plane and the fire is right up against the windows, and it's melting the windows."

She didn't mention where she was seated but most likely behind the wing, were the plane is scorched, and smoke entered the plane within 10 seconds. That's a lot faster than I thought and it should probably tell us something about the damage to the fuselage.

blackbox67

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:24 am

what a re-occurence. It happened to AA 767 about 10 years ago while making engine test runs at LAX.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f68/aa- ... ops-24033/

Phen

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:47 am

blackbox67 wrote:
what a re-occurence. It happened to AA 767 about 10 years ago while making engine test runs at LAX.

Indeed the results of that incident were rather spectacular, bearing in mind this is a picture of the engine on the OTHER side of the aircraft :shock: :

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/ ... /aaengine/

cougar15

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:05 pm

Good call on the part of the AA Crew to evacuate, not like SQ who choose to keep their pax seated in ´5 star comfort´ in simmilar circumstances!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

jumbojet

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:08 pm

If I am on that plane, I am 100% going to take my carry on with me, as long as it doesn't interfere with the egress. If I am just standing there waiting, and I can safely grab what I need to take, than that is what I am doing.

If the airline could guarantee I would get my carry on back without it being looted, and in a timely manner, than I would consider leaving it but to many times, you leave something with valuables behind and someone that has access to the plane, and I am not just blaming airline employees, will go through your stuff.

KarelXWB

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:22 pm

What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

11725Flyer

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:27 pm

The video taken during the evacuation was chilling. But, if I were in the situation and some guy was holing up a phone and delayed me by a few seconds, I would have quickly found my way around him.

9w748capt

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:42 pm

jumbojet wrote:
If I am on that plane, I am 100% going to take my carry on with me, as long as it doesn't interfere with the egress. If I am just standing there waiting, and I can safely grab what I need to take, than that is what I am doing.

If the airline could guarantee I would get my carry on back without it being looted, and in a timely manner, than I would consider leaving it but to many times, you leave something with valuables behind and someone that has access to the plane, and I am not just blaming airline employees, will go through your stuff.

Wow - you have got to be kidding me. If you're ever holding me up in an evacuation situation, expect a swift right hook to the jaw - hopefully not just from me but from everyone who's life you're putting at risk, just because of your "valuables". GTFO.

tonystan

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:52 pm

jumbojet wrote:

In that case you are a very selfish and utterly foolish human being. How can you guarantee that you won't drop that bag as you come off the slide and cause injury or worse to others around you?
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

StTim

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:13 pm

jumbojet wrote:

So you will put your nick nacks ahead of someone else's life. What a pathetic excuse that something might go missing. The me before anyone else view is distaseful.

dragon6172

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:24 pm

cougar15 wrote:
Good call on the part of the AA Crew to evacuate, not like SQ who choose to keep their pax seated in ´5 star comfort´ in simmilar circumstances!

But the AA incident resulted in 20 injuries as opposed to 0 injuries in the SQ incident in similar circumstances. Minor and non-life threatening of course.

One difference in the events that probably played into each captains evacuation decision is the fact that SQ had fire services standing by and waiting for their arrival. Not so for AA of course.
Phrogs Phorever

mm320cap

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:50 pm

jumbojet wrote:

Your second moronic post on this thread. I can only assume you are being a troll. Just in case you actually ARE idiotic enough to think this way, what are you going to do if your precious carry on rips the slide on the way down and renders it unuseable? If you are ever on my plane, and we find ourselves in the unfortunate situation of needing to evacuate, my job after shutting down the jet is to come back and exercise overall command. If you come down the aisle with your rollerboard and think you are going to take it down the slide, I will happily assist you with changing your mind.... one way or the other.

ozark1

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:52 pm

jumbojet wrote:

I am really surprised by this statement. There is nothing more "valuable" than my life. How do you know what won't interfere with egress? I'd rather just leave my things, knowing that EVERYTHING can be replaced, and also know I won't risk the chance of injuring myself or someone else as I jump into the slide with all of my carry on.

Spacepope

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:09 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Looks like first flight was 04-16-2003 over 13.5 years old and wing & tail parts would need to be replaced. Not worth fixing. Better of scrapping for spares.

50,000 hours and 8000 cycles. "Young" in this case is a relative term, the airframe certainly was no spring chicken, but not completely knackered either.
The last of the famous international playboys

IPFreely

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:29 pm

jumbojet wrote:

Great show! Hold on while I get some popcorn and enjoy all the phony outrage that the holier-than-thou posters generate!

WIederling

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:33 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
If I've ever seen a write off, this is it

airfleets.net has it as "written off", FF in 2003Q2 ~= 13 years old.
Murphy is an optimist

ContentCreator

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:33 pm

mm320cap wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Your second moronic post on this thread. I can only assume you are being a troll. Just in case you actually ARE idiotic enough to think this way, what are you going to do if your precious carry on rips the slide on the way down and renders it unuseable? If you are ever on my plane, and we find ourselves in the unfortunate situation of needing to evacuate, my job after shutting down the jet is to come back and exercise overall command. If you come down the aisle with your rollerboard and think you are going to take it down the slide, I will happily assist you with changing your mind.... one way or the other.

Wooaah tough guy coming through! Getting into a fight during an evacuation sounds like the level-headed thing to do.

Again we see many people taking their carry-on with them during an evacuation with no deaths or serious injuries. Fat people and those with physical disabilities are WAY more of a risk to me as a passenger than a guy with a backpack. Grandma with her cane or Becky with her 300+ pounds would be a total hindrance. Why no outrage about those people..threatening them with violence for delaying your evacuation- which they do.

phunc

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:57 pm

jumbojet wrote:

Interested to know how you'll feel when you're stood at the bottom of the slide with your precious laptop and jeans whilst the child that was hit by your falling bag ahead of you is being carted away in an ambulance?

Finn350

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:58 pm

ContentCreator wrote:
Again we see many people taking their carry-on with them during an evacuation with no deaths or serious injuries. Fat people and those with physical disabilities are WAY more of a risk to me as a passenger than a guy with a backpack. Grandma with her cane or Becky with her 300+ pounds would be a total hindrance. Why no outrage about those people..threatening them with violence for delaying your evacuation- which they do.

Because we appraise value of human life higher than value of things.

That being said, real-life evacuation videos are very valuable in improving the evacuation procedures, as no evacuation test can fully capture human behaviour in a real-life evacuation. I am sure flight safety agencies are studying these videos.

WIederling

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:09 pm

phunc wrote:
Interested to know how you'll feel when you're stood at the bottom of the slide with your precious laptop and jeans whilst the child that was hit by your falling bag ahead of you is being carted away in an ambulance?

Or, after he bullied his way to the head of the evacuation queue with his f*ching bag and fashionable shoes he slashes the slide
while going down with his loot.

Many burnt or surviving with broken bones due to not being able to use the slide after Mr. Darwin has made his egress.

See the same here: people have unlearned to be civil and for example
make room effectively for fire engine or ambulance service on the roads.
Murphy is an optimist

airtechy

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:52 pm

This will probably be a write off, but to ponder further why would the entire wing need to be replaced. If the damage is confined to the outer wing panels why can't they.....only....be replaced? This is of course disregarding other damage to the plane.

I'm sure the insurance company has already written a check though.

IPFreely

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:55 pm

ContentCreator wrote:
Wooaah tough guy coming through! Getting into a fight during an evacuation sounds like the level-headed thing to do.

Lots of good stuff here but the internet tough guys are always my favorites, too.

bmacleod

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:08 pm

Those black smoke images are very similar to crash of AA 191 at ORD in May 1979.

Luckily this time everyone survived.
Last edited by bmacleod on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

trex8

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:08 pm

airtechy wrote:
This will probably be a write off, but to ponder further why would the entire wing need to be replaced. If the damage is confined to the outer wing panels why can't they.....only....be replaced? This is of course disregarding other damage to the plane.

Theres a photo somewhere on the net showing the right wing dropped and bent down to the ground, more than just panels! see post #160

gatibosgru

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:10 pm

ContentCreator wrote:
mm320cap wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Thankfully you are not in charge of emergency procedures. Just because SO FAR there have been no deaths or injuries due to pax grabbing their bags doesn't mean it isn't likely. Harm reduction is the whole point of it, the picture is way bigger than what you're making it to be. To me both of you have very selfish approaches to this.
@DadCelo

luxornv

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:11 pm

9w748capt wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Wow - you have got to be kidding me. If you're ever holding me up in an evacuation situation, expect a swift right hook to the jaw - hopefully not just from me but from everyone who's life you're putting at risk, just because of your "valuables". GTFO.

I would react in a similar way if someone impeded my egress from a burning plane. However, probably not a good idea to punch them in the head as they may be knocked out and then everyone has to climb over the idiot. I think a good shove would do the trick.

KTPAFlyer

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:39 pm

There's nothing that makes me angrier than seeing people on here who are acting as if somebody gave them the right to be the judge of a pax's actions while trying to escape from a burning plane. I'm not saying that taking your stuff with you is right, but anyone who thinks that people consider that when trying to escape from a plane that is going up in flames is truly igonorant. Every situation is different. One person might have nothing but clothes and some food in his bag, while another has his all the documents that he's been working on for the past 6 months. Obviously, neither are more important than a human life, but we don't live in an ideal world, and people will always panic and think for themselves. I don't want to see people on here that criticize someone taking their luggage because in the midst of a panic, all that rational logic that you guys talk about goes out the window. Anyone who's studied psychology knows that fight or flight reactions result in very different outcomes than would normally occur when you have the luxury of sitting on your sofa imagining what you would do if you were on AA383. So let's end this idiotic luggage situation, I don't care how much you think that you should or shouldn't bring your bag, human nature will do what it wants in an emergency and you can't change that with a fine of $250 or $250,000 so let's focus on the actual issue itself.

Thank you.

mm320cap

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:43 pm

ContentCreator wrote:
mm320cap wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

I'm charged with protecting the lives of my passengers and my crew. I will execute that duty to the very best of my ability. A disabled passenger will be handled with the dignity and care they deserve in a situation as challenging as an evacuation. An egomaniac that thinks his rollerboard is more important than the lives of people behind him will simply have his/her possession relieved from them in order to protect the integrity of the slide and the other passengers. The FAR's require you to obey the instructions of crewmembers, who will be telling you to leave everything. If you can't obide by that law, perhaps you'd be more comfortable driving. What if your son or daughter was the one who got cranked on the head by Mr. Self-Centered's bag? Or was standing at the top of. Slide that just tore unable to evacuate from a burning airplane? I'm guessing you'd feel differently then. Honestly, you're in a burning airplane and your biggest concern is that someone is going to go back INTO that airplane and dig through your underwear? Get a clue.

AirlineCritic

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:44 pm

KarelXWB wrote:

Wow.

To me this picture says....

CAPTION COMPETITION!

I'll start:

FGITD

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:49 pm

The argument that no one has died yet in such incidents despite grabbing their stuff, therefore it's ok is invalid.This is aviation. Sad as it may be, it takes deaths to change procedures. It will happen sooner or later.

US Airways managed to return a good deal of the damaged luggage on board an aircraft that literally sank in a river, but people are worried about how their luggage will fare on a dry runway in Chicago. Pathetic.

mm320cap

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:49 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
There's nothing that makes me angrier than seeing people on here who are acting as if somebody gave them the right to be the judge of a pax's actions while trying to escape from a burning plane. I'm not saying that taking your stuff with you is right, but anyone who thinks that people consider that when trying to escape from a plane that is going up in flames is truly igonorant. Every situation is different. One person might have nothing but clothes and some food in his bag, while another has his all the documents that he's been working on for the past 6 months. Obviously, neither are more important than a human life, but we don't live in an ideal world, and people will always panic and think for themselves. I don't want to see people on here that criticize someone taking their luggage because in the midst of a panic, all that rational logic that you guys talk about goes out the window. Anyone who's studied psychology knows that fight or flight reactions result in very different outcomes than would normally occur when you have the luxury of sitting on your sofa imagining what you would do if you were on AA383. So let's end this idiotic luggage situation, I don't care how much you think that you should or shouldn't bring your bag, human nature will do what it wants in an emergency and you can't change that with a fine of $250 or $250,000 so let's focus on the actual issue itself.

Thank you.

We aren't talking about that. We are talking about a keyboard jockey who is calmly sitting at his/her desk proudly proclaiming that he/she will definitely bring the carry on with them if they ever evacuate because they are worried about it being rummaged through. It's dumb, illegal, selfish, and entitled. I can only assume that it's a trolled comment to stir the pot. You're correct though, dumb discussion so moving on with my day now. Kudos to the crew for executing a successful reject. Most dangerous maneuver we do.

MSPSXMFLIER

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:50 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
This video shows there was panic aboard, while other people were grabbing their bags:

https://www.facebook.com/hector.g.carde ... 830564127/

I'm just astounded that people are recording an aircraft evacuation, from inside the cabin as the evacuation is happening, and that others are trying to leave with their carry on luggage. WTH, people? The priority for the crew is getting everyone off as quickly and safely as possible. No one is going to take your possessions away, you'll get them back. If the entire fuselage happens to go up in flames taking everything with it, well, it's only 'stuff' and it can be replaced.

ContentCreator

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:57 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:

Thank you.

Its the same people on here who comment on anything that's not 100% in line with regulations like they've killed someone. Having a hoola girl on the glare-shield or changing the name of your flight on the FMC/ATC to a humorous one is considered the most deplorable of behavior that should result in a loss of license, a firing and the shaming of that person forever among the gods of the aviation community. I know people who think pilots wearing short-sleeves or having tattoos is absolutely unprofessional and worthy of not being hired or fired from an airline. Something about being in aviation turns people into holier than thou robotic idiots.

I personally think the flight attendants should be disciplined for allowing passengers to leave with bags if the passengers are being punished for trying to.

ContentCreator

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:01 pm

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
This video shows there was panic aboard, while other people were grabbing their bags:

https://www.facebook.com/hector.g.carde ... 830564127/

I'm just astounded that people are recording an aircraft evacuation, from inside the cabin as the evacuation is happening, and that others are trying to leave with their carry on luggage. WTH, people? The priority for the crew is getting everyone off as quickly and safely as possible. No one is going to take your possessions away, you'll get them back. If the entire fuselage happens to go up in flames taking everything with it, well, it's only 'stuff' and it can be replaced.

Yeah, for like 10% of its real, actual value. Oh, you had a nice camera, a $2000 laptop, and a couple $2400 lens in your carry on? "Prove it." Here's your $500 now beat it.

No thanks, I'll just take it with me as I leave. My backpack is smaller than a lap child, what's the problem?

Finn350

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:11 pm

ContentCreator wrote:
Yeah, for like 10% of its real, actual value. Oh, you had a nice camera, a $2000 laptop, and a couple $2400 lens in your carry on? "Prove it." Here's your $500 now beat it.

No thanks, I'll just take it with me as I leave. My backpack is smaller than a lap child, what's the problem?

Mods, please ban due to trolling.

KTPAFlyer

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:15 pm

If you guys are still going to talk about the damn luggage, there's another thread for that. This thread is about the aircraft fire, please respect that. This luggage talk is derailing any possibility of talking about the actual incident. Thank you.

Chemist

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:29 pm

In potential defense of the video shooter, if I were on the plane and we had to evacuate and I was waiting for 10? 15? 30? seconds for the line of people to move so that I could get out of my seat row, I might just start my video rolling. It wouldn't be delaying anybody and I wouldn't be videoing to the detriment of my speed or evacuation. And the documentation it provides could be valuable. Plus if any of us didn't make it out, there might be a record of what happened.

aerolimani

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:45 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
If you guys are still going to talk about the damn luggage, there's another thread for that. This thread is about the aircraft fire, please respect that. This luggage talk is derailing any possibility of talking about the actual incident. Thank you.

Aviation Herald has published its article, and there is little info to be gleaned from it. http://avherald.com/h?article=49ffa115&opt=0

Highlights from the article:

The FAA reported the aircraft blew a tyre prompting the crew to reject takeoff.

The airline reported an engine malfunction prompted the crew to reject takeoff. Seven passengers and one flight attendant received minor injuries and were taken to hospitals.

The NTSB reported a tyre blew out resulting in a fire. Investigators have been dispatched on site, an investigation has been opened.

Gossip from Chicago suggests, a number of right hand main tyres burst after the aircraft hit a foreign object on the runway, debris penetrated the right hand inner fuel tank causing a substantial fuel leak and resulting fire.

Interesting that the government agencies cite blown tire(s?) as the root cause, but AA says engine malfunction.

DocLightning

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:01 pm

Phen wrote:
blackbox67 wrote:

Indeed the results of that incident were rather spectacular, bearing in mind this is a picture of the engine on the OTHER side of the aircraft :shock: :

I believe a turbine disk failed and the debris bounced off the ground under the fuselage and imbedded itself in the opposite engine. Is that correct?

Anyway, with respect to my previous posts about the aircraft being a w/o vs. not, I would like to point out that I am *NOT* predicting a repair. I am simply saying that I have been surprised before and that it will be difficult to make a prediction without actually being a mechanic who can inspect the airframe.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

blackbox67

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:08 pm

KarelXWB wrote:

smart chaps: "Flip, flop & fly , I dont care if I die !"

DTWPurserBoy

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:35 pm

A fast response by the cockpit and cabin crew. Thankfully all aboard are safe and sound.
AA had a similar uncontained engine failure on a 763 in LAX a few years ago during a maintenance runup. She was scrapped on sight, just as I am sure this one will be after the investigators are finished with it. Sad loss of a plane but just grateful no loss of life.

My complete respect to the cabin crew for a job well done and to the pilots for promptly ordering the evac and to the first responders who prevented an even worse fire. The pictures of that wing are truly amazing. Let's see what we learn from this.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

ikolkyo
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:44 pm

DTWPurserBoy wrote:
A fast response by the cockpit and cabin crew. Thankfully all aboard are safe and sound.
AA had a similar uncontained engine failure on a 763 in LAX a few years ago during a maintenance runup. She was scrapped on sight, just as I am sure this one will be after the investigators are finished with it. Sad loss of a plane but just grateful no loss of life.

My complete respect to the cabin crew for a job well done and to the pilots for promptly ordering the evac and to the first responders who prevented an even worse fire. The pictures of that wing are truly amazing. Let's see what we learn from this.

Was a 762 at LAX.

ak

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:57 pm

EIBoston wrote:
a380787 wrote:
oh great .... so UA's flight ops are also affected by what happened to AA .....

What a stupid ignorant comment! Unbelievable....

You guys take each other too seriously on this site. LOL
" I am serious...and don't call me Shirley!

Dalmd88

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:10 pm

airtechy wrote:

The fwd and rear spars run the length of the wing and when not melted give the wing it's strength. You can't just cut them and just splice on a new end. Also it is pretty had to gauge the heat stress that the 'intact' part of the wing went through. Besides the wing it looked in one picture that the skin section forward of the aft cargo door is melted. All of the structure that is still there would most likely have to be replaced before a new skin was installed. A truly colossal repair job. It could be done with a huge pile of money to burn.

coolian2

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:29 pm

9w748capt wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Oh good, because we really need a fight or an extra obstacle to have to get past....
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Georgetown

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:01 pm

So after seeing the BA incident and now this, what are some of the more likely outcomes had this plane become airborne? Obviously there's no way to know for sure, but I'm guessing some of the folks on this board with much more knowledge than myself can chime in. Would the fire largely be a non-issue due to the speed of the air? It would seem to me - given AA191 and Sioux City that the biggest concern would be pieces of engine cutting thorough control/fuel lines. Any thoughts?
Let's go Hoyas!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos