Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Alaska - British Airways plan codeshares

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:06 pm

AS and BA have jointly applied with DOT for authority to apply 'BA' designator on AS marketed flights including those operated by OO/QX on below city pairs.
The proposed codeshare services will begin mid-November pending approval.

Seattle to:
Anchorage
Boise
Edmonton
Fairbanks
Honolulu
Kahului
Ontario
Portland
Salt Lake City
Spokane
Victoria BC

Portland to:
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose

Los Angeles to:
Guadalajara

San Diego to:
Guadalajara
Salt Lake City

San Jose to:
Guadalajara
Santa Ana

San Francisco to:
Salt Lake City

=

OST-2016-0218
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ANA787

Re: Alaska - British Airways plan codeshares

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:10 pm

Next up: BA adding PDX-LHR?

a380787

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:15 pm

I'm surprised this took so long to some to fruition considering it's been a while that BA has been partners on AS' mileage program.

LAX772LR

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:31 pm

a380787 wrote:
I'm surprised this took so long to some to fruition considering it's been a while that BA has been partners on AS' mileage program.

Me too... heck, I figured this sorta thing was already in place.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

flyoregon

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:33 pm

ANA787 wrote:

Only makes sense...

They fly to SEA, SFO, LAX, SJC, and SAN.

TWA772LR

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:01 pm

flyoregon wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

Only makes sense...

I actually thought seasonal ANC on the 788 from LGW.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Aliqiout

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:09 pm

SAN-GDL ????

rwsea

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:11 pm

ANA787 wrote:

I sure hope so. DL is adding PDX-LHR, but it doesn't add any new connecting options. Would be great to have a second, daily flight to a major European hub with plenty of connecting opportunities.

hiflyeras

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:14 pm

I'd assumed they were already doing it but in flying BA last month they didn't include AS as one of their code-share partners in the inflight magazine. (Yes, I was bored...8 hour flight!)

runway23

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:17 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

Only makes sense...

BA doesn't have any 787s based in LGW, only 777s.

usflyer123

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:22 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

Only makes sense...

i dont think most of the tourism in Alaska is based in Anchorage area, i think most of it is in Juneau/sitka area which offers alot of cruises.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

jbpdx

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:43 pm

ANA787 wrote:

Doubt that. In fact I hope not. Although DL running only 4x/week summer seasonal is kind of a snub to PDX. Are any other US cities to LHR non-daily and seasonal?

I'd prefer Norwegian to Paris.
^

WA707atMSP

Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:54 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Only makes sense...

i dont think most of the tourism in Alaska is based in Anchorage area, i think most of it is in Juneau/sitka area which offers alot of cruises.

Most of the big cruise ships go from Seattle or Vancouver to Seward, near Anchorage, with stops in Victoria, Sitka, Juneau, Skagway, and / or Glacier Bay. Some cruise ship passengers fly home from ANC, but others take the Alaska Railroad from Seward to Anchorage, Denali National Park, then fly home from Fairbanks. There is a LOT of cruise passenger traffic in / out of ANC.

The smaller, more upscale cruise lines like Lindblad are the ones that do cruises between Sitka and Juneau, but Princess carries more people on one sailing of one of their mega ships than Lindblad does in an entire year of Alaska cruises.

uberflieger

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:03 pm

LAXintl wrote:
AS and BA have jointly applied with DOT for authority to apply 'BA' designator on AS marketed flights.

Would have thought this was already in place. It's a natural fit. PDX-LHR by S18? ;)

SANFan

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:34 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
SAN-GDL ????

I agree {scratches head}. Is this telling us something (else) exciting is in SAN's near future?

I'm kind of surprised they didn't apply for LHR-SAN-FAT - not enuf traffic from LON to Fresno I assume?

bb

ahj2000

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:38 am

Can there be conditional routes in a codeshare filing or does BA know something the rest of us dont about SAN-GDL
-Andrés Juánez

SeaDoo

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:27 am

I think of all the places in Alaska, Anchorage would be the biggest driver of traffic.

WN732

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:34 am

SANFan wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
SAN-GDL ????

I agree {scratches head}. Is this telling us something (else) exciting is in SAN's near future?

I'm kind of surprised they didn't apply for LHR-SAN-FAT - not enuf traffic from LON to Fresno I assume?

bb

I live in Fresno, and that would be nice to have. But I don't think there's hardly enough traffic to even think about code sharing. Most people who would make use of that would just fly AA to DFW or LAX.

Sparrow787

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:49 am

LAX772LR wrote:
a380787 wrote:

Me too... heck, I figured this sorta thing was already in place.

This also add a sting to the relationship (if we can call it that) between AS and DL.
What do you think?

RWA380

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:25 am

uberflieger wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
AS and BA have jointly applied with DOT for authority to apply 'BA' designator on AS marketed flights.

Would have thought this was already in place. It's a natural fit. PDX-LHR by S18? ;)

I agree there will be a LHR-PDX n/s on BA, it'll be on the 787 & I think 2018 is a good year for the startup. DL has given us a 4 x weekly n/s this coming 2017 Summer season. It will be used by tourists & businessmen alike. But the fact it's seasonal, will deter anyone or any company, who travels often from relying on it.

I expect the carrier that operates year round service even if it's less than daily & if BA doesn't do it, some other carrier will. It's just like PDX-PEK, it's just who is the smartest to jump on it before someone else does.

ANA787 wrote:

We've been talking of BA at PDX since I was decades younger, If this codeshare is approved, BA will funnel PDX passengers via SEA as usual. But I still think BA will finally announce PDX in 2 years.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:28 am

Sparrow787 wrote:
This also add a sting to the relationship (if we can call it that) between AS and DL.
What do you think?

DL can also screw with them a bit, by bringing VS into SEA (and/or PDX) and promoting it; just as AS is trying to promote VX.

Sparrow787

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:36 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Sparrow787 wrote:
What do you think?

DL can also screw with them a bit, by bringing VS into SEA (and/or PDX) and promoting it; just as AS is trying to promote VX.

True, it could throw people off too. "Well they are both Virgin airlines" haha

ANA787

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:41 am

I think this is BA's way of combating VS's entry into the SEA-LHR market and maybe DL/VS entering the PDX-LHR market. VS has thrown their flight number on just about every Delta flight leaving Seattle next summer.

BA

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Starting next spring, BA to SEA is going to be 12x weekly, a daily 747-400 and 5x weekly 777-200ER. The past few summers, they've been at 11x weekly, so this is an overall frequency increase in addition to the upgauge.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Chugach

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:25 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Only makes sense...

ANC is the largest market in Alaska, both summer and winter, by a long shot.

That said, we aren't seeing BA here anytime soon with FI and DE already serving ANC from Europe.

wenders825

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:54 pm

PDX-LHR seems like the next thing that BA will give a shot. I know people here would like to see a city with no existing europe service like BNA/STL (I would too), but PDX seems like something BA should've done by now.

usflyer123

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:58 pm

wenders825 wrote:
PDX-LHR seems like the next thing that BA will give a shot. I know people here would like to see a city with no existing europe service like BNA/STL (I would too), but PDX seems like something BA should've done by now.

not so sure when you have DL starting PDX-LHR soon.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

wenders825

Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:03 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
wenders825 wrote:

not so sure when you have DL starting PDX-LHR soon.

but as noted above, it's seasonal and not even daily, plus doesn't offer a lot of connecting opportunity on the LHR end like BA would.

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:08 pm

wenders825 wrote:
PDX-LHR seems like the next thing that BA will give a shot.

There's very little evidence of that.
Plenty of factors against it too....

BA starting PDX is a very difficult case to make, in the face of other options:
"Hey BA: you can go to slightly smaller metros who will do anything (and in STL's case, throw big money) for you to come rule their roost alone and unchallenged; or you can come here to PDX and be a 4th wheel against established competition in a market that (while significant) is still very much secondary to the nation's prime gateways."

That's basically the situation they're going to have to overcome.
There doesn't even appear to be any evidence that PDX officials are actually focusing on going for that at this time.

wenders825 wrote:
plus doesn't offer a lot of connecting opportunity on the LHR end like BA would.

Why would it need to? DL already offers PDX-AMS for Euro-side connections.
And PDX already offers two other European airlines for that too.
Last edited by LAX772LR on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbpdx

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:25 pm

The last thing we need is another airline charging $1,500 one-way like DL (and BA MSY-LHR). Norwegian PDX-Paris would help force down those exorbitant Delta fares to Europe. (Icelandair and Condor haven't yet so capacity still isn't meeting demand from Portland.) If BA (or OneWorld) had plans for PDX-LHR, they waited too long.
^

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:34 pm

jbpdx wrote:
The last thing we need is another airline charging $1,500 one-way like DL (and BA MSY-LHR). Norwegian PDX-Paris would help force down those exorbitant Delta fares to Europe. (Icelandair and Condor haven't yet so capacity still isn't meeting demand from Portland.)

Network carriers aren't opening secondary markets for the purpose of charging $499 for roundtrips, or the likes.
It'd hurt them less to just add another LHR-JFK frequency than do that, while allowing overall capacity to be addressed.

The whole POINT of going into such markets as AUS/MSY/PDX/etc is to extract a premium in exchange for a nonstop; and pax who choose not to pay it, can instead connect. Plain and simple.

mercure1

Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:41 pm

How does work when BA is so closely alligned and have JV with AA? Seem is anyhing this is a BA snub against AA.
mercure f-wtcc

LHRFlyer

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:28 pm

mercure1 wrote:
How does work when BA is so closely alligned and have JV with AA? Seem is anyhing this is a BA snub against AA.

It seems that the JV does not prohibit BA codesharing with other airlines in North America.

It is also noteworthy that BA started codesharing with Aer Lingus before its entry into the joint-venture and, based on comments made by IAG CEO Willie Walsh this week, there doesn't seem to be any urgency to add Aer Lingus to the joint-venture.

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:06 pm

mercure1 wrote:

J/Vs can have carveouts, exemptions, etc.

AA isn't as strong as AS in several of these markets, nor does it have a hub in that general location.
And IINM, AA's still getting a cut of any butts on BA seats over the pond, so why would they care what those butts do once they're on US shores?

LHRFlyer

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:43 am

On a tangential note, I wonder if this also means that the Aer Lingus relationship with JetBlue could be extended to BA, now IAG can see how it's working for Aer Lingus.

vhtje

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:03 am

LAXintl wrote:
AS and BA have jointly applied with DOT for authority to apply 'BA' designator on AS marketed flights including those operated by OO/QX on below city pairs.

Portland to:
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose

OST-2016-0218

How are these bookable? BA do not fly into PDX. My understanding is that the codeshare flights carrying BA numbers can only be booked as an addition to a BA flight. For example, if flying from LHR to SFO on BA, I could book AS flights ex-SFO on a BA code.

Does that mean these are only bookable as a return flight from one of those destinations? Or, is BA planning a new service to PDX (and thus thumping Delta in the process)?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

guillelds

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:43 am

More than obvious...

flyfresno

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:35 pm

Also surprised to not see FAT and SMF on this list. With all of the options out of LHR, both metro areas must contribute a few pax per day (SMF obviously more). I also wonder whether OAK will become a connection point, even if the LGW service means most pax will terminate in GB.

commavia

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:51 pm

On a related note, Virgin America and Virgin Atlantic are abruptly ending their frequent flyer partnership next week:

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/elevate-frequent-flyer/partners/airline-partners/virgin-atlantic

Probably not surprising - given the apparently-impending merger completion, and Branson's stated displeasure with the deal, and the Alaska-BA codeshare, and the dynamics between BA and "Delta UK," as Willie Walsh describes Virgin Atlantic, and by extension between Delta and Alaska. (Complicated enough?!)

LHRFlyer wrote:
On a tangential note, I wonder if this also means that the Aer Lingus relationship with JetBlue could be extended to BA, now IAG can see how it's working for Aer Lingus.

Personally, I still tend to doubt it. I could be wrong, but it's hard for me to imagine Aer Lingus maintaining codesharing relationships with JetBlue and especially United when it's integrated into the transatlantic JV with AA. Now of course, as said, the "when" in that sentence is obviously very much an open question - IAG last week signaled that this was still very much in the plan, but the timing is TBD. We'll see.

PDX757

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:04 pm

vhtje wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Portland to:
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose

OST-2016-0218

How are these bookable? BA do not fly into PDX. My understanding is that the codeshare flights carrying BA numbers can only be booked as an addition to a BA flight. For example, if flying from LHR to SFO on BA, I could book AS flights ex-SFO on a BA code.

Does that mean these are only bookable as a return flight from one of those destinations? Or, is BA planning a new service to PDX (and thus thumping Delta in the process)?

PDX certainly is the outlier on that list with no BA service. I hope it's a sign of things to come but won't hold my breath.

DLPMMM

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:43 pm

vhtje wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Portland to:
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose

OST-2016-0218

BA flies into SAN, SFO, and SJC... The code share would work from those cities to Portland. BA also codeshares with AA to PDX via the AA's LHR-ORD-PDX flight.

LHRFlyer

Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:02 pm

The codeshare agreement is now live with effect from 23 November:

http://londonairtravel.com/2016/11/18/b ... h-america/

SANFan

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:34 am

LHRFlyer wrote:
The codeshare agreement is now live with effect from 23 November:
http://londonairtravel.com/2016/11/18/b ... h-america/

The list of codeshares actually set to begin is a bit smaller than the list included in the OP. But the article does mention that "further codeshare routes may be announced in due course".

The announced routes (from LON via the gateway cities) are:
SFO-PDX
SJC-PDX-SNA and
SEA-HNL, KOA, OGG, PDX, SLC, BOI, FAI & GEG.

Looks like PDX is pretty well covered, with 3 options, and 3 of the Hawaiian islands are included. The Mexican destination, GDL, appears not to be happening.

bb

F9Animal

Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:16 am

I think this was a long time overdue. AS and BA will benefit for sure!
I Am A Different Animal!!

flyoregon

Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:19 am

Even with PDX covered in the codeshare, wouldn't it still make sense for BA to serve Portland thus expanding the reach of the codeshare from somewhere else besides Seattle? (and of course I'm biased and think they should.)

ASFlyer

Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:35 am

SANFan wrote:
LHRFlyer wrote:
The Mexican destination, GDL, appears not to be happening.

bb

I'm not surprised. Transiting the U.S. when traveling from one country to another is not especially easy.

vhtje

Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:52 am

Interestingly the BA homepage currently has Hawai'i as a destination on the splash page. Click through and do a dummy booking, and you are of course offered the expected AA flights through LAX. However, the new AS codeshare through SEA (BA2831/BA2830) are also offered.

Presumably AA are okay with this?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

jbpdx

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:47 am

flyoregon wrote:
Even with PDX covered in the codeshare, wouldn't it still make sense for BA to serve Portland thus expanding the reach of the codeshare from somewhere else besides Seattle? (and of course I'm biased and think they should.)

OneWorld had a great opportunity in Portland but I think they've blown it.
^

LAX772LR

Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:29 am

jbpdx wrote:
OneWorld had a great opportunity in Portland but I think they've blown it.

"Great opportunity" to do what? Duplicate service that they already have, for no apparent gain?

LHRFlyer

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:55 am

When BA starts a new codeshare relationship it's not unusual for it to be rolled out progressively, so more routes may follow.

PDX does seem well covered with no less than three routings. Codeshare performance with AA has helped inform new BA route decisions in the past so if BA sees a lot of traffic on to AS to PDX then a direct route may follow.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos