Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Passengers stuck on SQ flight for 6hrs going nowhere.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:06 pm

"Passengers were stuck on the tarmac for about six hours when a Singapore Airlines (SIA) flight from Milan to Singapore was delayed more than 24 hours due to technical issues."

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/p ... cal-issues

Appears that SQ did not handle/communicate this to well to passengers and when they did de-plane there were no staff insight.
Glad it was not me.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

cougar15

Re: Passengers stuck on SQ flight for 6hrs going nowhere.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:41 pm

Hmm, if I fly legacy like SQ, I would expect a touch more than this. Even FR or EZY would do better....
some you lose, others you can´t win!

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:47 pm

How many flights does SQ have out of Milan?

If it's only one, it could explain the less than stellar response as the ground handlers scrambled to recover.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

iahcsr

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Most likely SQ uses a contract company for Milan operations hence the reason no help available six hours after scheduled departure.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

cougar15

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:44 pm

I am sure ground services are subbed out to a third party. Nontheless, there are contingencies for irregularities and/or exceptional circumstances and service should be provided at least until the flight has departed. Airlines need to save money, 3rd Party contracts for low frequency destinations are usually fine. At the end of the day however SQ is a premium carrier and I expect they will have some ´reactive discussions´ with their service provider, this is not good enough!

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Imagine having paid for First Class and getting this type of service, nightmare.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

mjoelnir

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:28 pm

How petty excuses can get. So having only one flight or outsourcing the operation excuses the airline from any planning in the case something goes wrong with a flight.
Not one person responsible, no station manager, no plan B is perhaps an explanation for an ULCC, not a legacy carrier.

iahcsr

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:46 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
How petty excuses can get. So having only one flight or outsourcing the operation excuses the airline from any planning in the case something goes wrong with a flight.
Not one person responsible, no station manager, no plan B is perhaps an explanation for an ULCC, not a legacy carrier.

I don't think SQ senior management is going to except any excuses either. They will be all over their operational personnel for failing to oversee/control the contract company's handling of this event closely.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

dmstorm22

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:55 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

There's a difference between an excuse and a reason. This is a reason, one that I'm sure SQ management will take seriously and work to rectify.

TWA772LR

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:55 am

The the ground service vendors not wait until takeoff to go home? When I worked for TK and LH on behalf of vendors, we always waited to hear that the plane was airborne before we could leave.

Funny story:
I had the flightaware app on my phone, so I'd be eyeing it constantly and updating it to check if it's off, and when I did, I'd tell my leads then they'd yell at me saying we have to wait for ops' word that it's off. So I went to the next room to check, and the TK ops guy pulled up flight aware and said "Yeah it's gone". My lead didn't like me lol.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

EK413

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:06 am

Everyone is quick to criticise the carrier when it's the 3rd party handling agent should receive the criticism. You pay peanuts this is the service they'll provide as they don't have sufficient resources to handle a disruption.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

GE9X

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:34 am

EK413 wrote:
Everyone is quick to criticise the carrier when it's the 3rd party handling agent should receive the criticism. You pay peanuts this is the service they'll provide as they don't have sufficient resources to handle a disruption.

EK413

I'm sorry but no. You pay peanuts, yes, but for those peanuts, the contract is that the carrier gets you from A to B in the advertised Y to X time, with tolerances. That's the rule of the game and the very basic service an airline provide. So when delays and contingencies occur, that's on the airline to handle, and in this case they failed, at least as far as media reports are accurate. Third parties and outsourcing do not come into the equation where the customer is concerned. Their failure is entirely on the airline.

DocLightning

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:39 am

EK413 wrote:
Everyone is quick to criticise the carrier when it's the 3rd party handling agent should receive the criticism.

The passengers bought tickets with SQ, not with a third-party handling agent. It is SQ's responsiblity to see that their contractors provide adequate service under the SQ brand and reputation.

EK413 wrote:
You pay peanuts this is the service they'll provide as they don't have sufficient resources to handle a disruption.

You don't know what each passenger paid. But some of them had F or J class tickets and I'm sure those are expensive. The fact is that *NOBODY* pays money, large or small, to get stuck on the tarmac for six hours. If that were part of the trip, nobody would pay anything at all.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

747m8te

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:50 am

EK413 wrote:

EK413

Any airline (not just SQ) that pays a third party to do the work on behalf of them, as an airline IS responsible for ensuring standards are met and work force is sufficient just as they should their own staff. Anyway, even if there was third party contractors for most of the ground work, most airlines (full service airlines anyway) at out ports still have a small contingent of their own staff directly employed to manage the day to day operations.
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

cougar15

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:48 am

EK413 wrote:

EK413

it´s a bit like the regionals. I buy SQ, the check-in agent wears an SQ badge & scraf/tie, it looks like SQ so I blame SQ, it´s their issue to own & resolve!

BartSimpson

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:55 am

readytotaxi wrote:
Imagine having paid for First Class and getting this type of service, nightmare.

This is not a nightmare for any F-class pax, more likely an inconvenience. The real nightmare happens to those who are stuck in a 31" seat for 6 hours...

LatAmFlyer

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:27 am

There's a difference between an excuse and a reason.
-----------------------
That's what I'd tell my flight instructor when I first learned to fly.

fallap

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:05 am

For a minute I thought they were all heading to Darwin, Australia on a six hour flight with SQ. But then I realised they weren't actually going anywhere.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos