Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetbluefan1
Topic Author

JetBlue Launches BOS-LGA With A Twist

Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:23 pm

As previously announced, B6 today introduced up to 6x daily flights between BOS and LGA. However, it was not previously disclosed that B6 intends to offer some additional amenities on this flight, beyond its normal perks, to compete with DL's and AA's shuttle service:

1. Free coffee from participating restaurants at BOS and LGA
2. Free simit (a Turkish bagel) provided in the boarding area
3. Free beer and wine on board
4. Free gate-to-gate WiFi (compared to free WiFi only when flying above 10,000 feet)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jetblue-s ... 00901.html

I'd be interested to see if B6 rolls out such perks on some of its other competitive business markets, like BOS-DCA and maybe even BOS-ATL...

PlanesNTrains

Re: JetBlue Launches BOS-LGA With A Twist

Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:48 pm

Shows how up-to-speed I am. I thought they already flew this route?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:32 pm

Gate-to-gate wifi, that way those business travellers can continue working while they're number 61 in line for takeoff during a runway change.

Glad to see B6 stepping up its game for this route. Hope to see them succeed.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

gatibosgru

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:35 pm

Props to B6!
@DadCelo

jfklganyc

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:46 pm

They should use 6 more slots currently wasted on mickeyland from both LGA and DCA to start 6 daily LGA to DCA.

Then they are a real player in the NE market

nikeson13

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:47 pm

All low-cost things that won't make a massive dent into the pocket books but will give higher loads.
1&2) increased costs but a good addition
3) Such a short flight that not many people will drink more than one, plus other people may not know about the perk (unless they announce it onboard)
4) Just keeping on the wifi for a longer time, no additional cost really

Great to see this from B6, good compliment to Mint service!
Nikolas

airliner371

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:59 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
They should use 6 more slots currently wasted on mickeyland from both LGA and DCA to start 6 daily LGA to DCA.

My guess is, starting LGA-BOS is a first step and if this does well, they will consider adding LGA-DCA.

They currently have 18 slot pairs at LGA, if they added LGA-DCA 6x daily, they could up-gauge Florida with 2 MCO, 2 PBI and 2 FLL using their core A321s.

flyby519

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:04 pm

airliner371 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

My guess is, starting LGA-BOS is a first step and if this does well, they will consider adding LGA-DCA.

They currently have 18 slot pairs at LGA, if they added LGA-DCA 6x daily, they could up-gauge Florida with 2 MCO, 2 PBI and 2 FLL using their core A321s.

But then they'd have to cut/upgauge some existing DCA service to make room as well.

I know LGA-DCA is a heavily travelled business route, but does B6 have enough corporate contracts in those 2 areas? I know BOS is heavily weighted towards business travelers.
Last edited by flyby519 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:06 pm

airliner371 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

I am sure LGA-DCA is the vision if BOS works but B6 is so strong in BOS it makes more sense to go first. Also DCA is another set of valuable slots they need to use. See how this works first.

11725Flyer

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:18 pm

I wonder, are there any frequent flyer deals with either DL or B6 on this route?

Dominion301

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:20 pm

flyby519 wrote:
airliner371 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

But then they'd have to cut/upgauge some existing DCA service to make room as well.

I know LGA-DCA is a heavily travelled business route, but does B6 have enough corporate contracts in those 2 areas? I know BOS is heavily weighted towards business travelers.

LGA-DCA isn't the cash cow it used to be given Acela. Surely this would be an E90 route if it ever came to pass. I don't know how much B6 gains by adding this unless they gain additional LGA & DCA slots in the future.

JFK31R

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:34 pm

Nice to jetBlue enter the NE Corridor Shuttle market. They're good at giving passengers little extras that go a long way, and I believe this will be a successful route for them. I'd be surprised to see them start LGA-DCA since that route seems way more competitive, not because of DL or AA, but because of Amtrak.

phluser

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:45 pm

flyby519 wrote:

I might be in the minority as I think B6 covering DCA-LGA would have limited appeal. The interest for that type of route is limited to business passengers during the week, and those type of passengers have three better choices (Amtrak, DL and AA with higher frequency).

B6's presence in WAS is very limited as well. I think B6 could strike a deal with F9 for F9's 3 LGA slot pairs for 3 DCA pairs giving F9 the chance for covering DCA-MCO, and maybe with UA (if RDU-LGA fails if UA has three LGA slot pairs that are extra). B6 can be bigger in NY and via LGA is one way, and some DCA slots can be swapped for more LGA slots.

jetbluefan1
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:51 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Why are slots used to MCO "wasted"? B6's bread-and-butter business is loading people up in A320's (and, increasingly, A321`s) to visit Mickey, Harry Potter, and grandma and grandpa. Shifting limited slots away in order to serve LGA-DCA, which is almost guaranteed to lose money, doesn't make any sense.

I would add that BOS-LGA appears to be much, much more about B6 strengthening its BOS point-of-sale rather than LGA (or NYC). Adding LGA-DCA does virtually nothing to strengthen B6's position in NYC and DC, especially if it means removing capacity from highly popular (and profitable) Florida flying.

jfkflyer

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:14 pm

what plane is operating this route
INSTAGRAM : @KJFKSPOTTER

33lspotter

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:17 pm

InselMotherFokk wrote:
what plane is operating this route

E-190. Reg. for the inaugural was N324JB.

aaflyer777

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:52 pm

I think we'll see more BOS-LGA flights before LGA-DCA. 6x is a good start but frequency is key on this route, especially when your competitors are offering 15x daily.

ASA

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:57 pm

jetbluefan1 wrote:
4. Free gate-to-gate WiFi (compared to free WiFi only when flying above 10,000 feet)

WHAAATTTT?!!! I always thought there was a security / technology hurdle here ...

If the router can just be turned on a litter earlier or for a while longer ... why don't they do it ALREADY?!!!

Finally, great move B6 ... I think the airlines need to provide these amenities to stay ahead of Amtrak.

Can't wait to find the same service on the BOS-DCA route ... that would be awesome!

richierich

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:00 pm

I'm surprised B6 are keeping BOS-JFK and BOS-EWR at their current frequencies...I'd expect both to be rationalized down to just 2-3 daily, if they even need BOS-EWR going forward.
Tomorrow (11/01) shows four BOS-EWR and eight BOS-JFK cycles, the latter including one A320 operation.
None shall pass!!!!

flyby519

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:03 pm

ASA wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:

WHAAATTTT?!!! I always thought there was a security / technology hurdle here ...

If the router can just be turned on a litter earlier or for a while longer ... why don't they do it ALREADY?!!!

I suspect that will happen very soon.

jfkflyer

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:03 pm

will jetblue keep some classic tails? or will they all be tartan blueberries OR barcode/
INSTAGRAM : @KJFKSPOTTER

VS4ever

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:31 pm

richierich wrote:
I'm surprised B6 are keeping BOS-JFK and BOS-EWR at their current frequencies...I'd expect both to be rationalized down to just 2-3 daily, if they even need BOS-EWR going forward.
Tomorrow (11/01) shows four BOS-EWR and eight BOS-JFK cycles, the latter including one A320 operation.

I hope they don't reduce JFK. It's a very useful connector service for getting back from smaller stations to BOS like AUS where my only option no stop on B6 is to get back at 11pm and frankly I hate it. Via JFK I can be home at 2pm and The family is a whole lot happier as a result.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

jetbluefan1
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:40 pm

ASA wrote:
Can't wait to find the same service on the BOS-DCA route ... that would be awesome!

My feeling is that BOS-LGA is a test for these enhanced amenities, and B6 will eventually roll this out to competitive business markets like BOS-DCA, and maybe ATL and ORD down the road.

richierich wrote:

BOS-JFK is a hub-to-hub market, so the high frequencies serve their purpose. This link opens up tons of convenient one-stop options for people traveling to/from BOS or NYC, especially when one or the other has limited frequency options or no non-stop options (like BOS-JFK-DAB or JFK-BOS-DTW). There is also some decent O&D from Long Island/Brooklyn/Queens that may find this option useful. And, of course, aircraft and crew positioning, and flexibility with accommodating passengers during IRROPS.

Now that B6 is in the BOS-LGA market, BOS-EWR is no longer as crucial to serving the BOS point-of-sale business market to NYC. BOS-EWR has always been a loss leader, but I do see some marketing value to being the only airline flying from BOS to all 3 NYC airports.

B752OS

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:41 pm

richierich wrote:

JFK provides connections for passengers going to/from BOS that are not available from BOS. Such as ABQ, DAB, SMF (year round) and places in the Caribbean as B6 has a bigger network to that region than they do ex BOS.

isp2

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:07 am

airliner371 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

No can do - all of B6 A321's have sharklets and the LGA gates that B6 uses have space limitations that cannot accommodate sharklet equipped birds. Sharklet equipped A320's also do not touch LGA.

Sparrow787

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:25 am

Can the success of shuttle routes such as LGA-BOS and maybe a LGA-DCA (if they start this one) make B6 lean towards receiving the rest of the 190s or even convert the remaining orders to the E2?

lesfalls

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:03 am

richierich wrote:

I thought that they were cancelling EWR-BOS so they could move LGA-RSW/TPA(or was it PBI) to EWR and start LGA-BOS?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

Abeam79

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:09 am

isp2 wrote:
airliner371 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

No can do - all of B6 A321's have sharklets and the LGA gates that B6 uses have space limitations that cannot accommodate sharklet equipped birds. Sharklet equipped A320's also do not touch LGA.

They can use sharklet A320 now that they moved a gate over into the concourse between A&B. They took the old regional jet A1 gate and converted it with a new jetway for the E190, it opened up space on the other end of concourse A where it now can accommodate A320 w sharklet and even A321. I just saw a A320 with sharklets just a couple weeks ago parked at A2. They will also be the first airline to move to the newly constructed gates that will be available next year when the first phase of the new central terminal is complete. Plans are to use all core A321's for lga at that point for high peak times for lga-Florida.

Sparrow787

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:28 am

isp2 wrote:
airliner371 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

THat is a false statement, all but 2 of spirits A321 have sharklets and serve LGA, frontier and AA also bring in their sharklet equipped 320/21s

jfklganyc

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:44 am

Some interesting facts on here. Some bad info as well.

1. Re: Mickeyland. If Florida was where B6 wanted to be, they wouldn't have axed 6 LGA Florida flights for BOS

2. POS. Definitely geared towards BOS agreed. But B6 is going to have to get real in NYC eventually or they are wasting a lot of time and $$. At some point, places like CLE and DTW have to be served. And that's from LGA. DCA is a natural extension to start that. LGA-Florida can be served from JFK and LGA on weekends.

3. Very interesting to hear that B6 will enjoy new gates first at LGA. They just lost their two normal gates and moved to the opposite side of the concourse.

4. A1. Not using the new A1. AC is. B6 took ACs A5 gate.

5. Sharklets at LGA on other airlines. Not a problem...B6 gates may have the problem though. CTB is a hodepodge of gates for DC9s from the 60s and 70s...but there were also L1011 gates. And AC fits a 767 at the end of A regularly. Point is, nothing is uniform beyond the 10pm rats that overtake the terminal

bpat777

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:21 am

B6 has flown their A320s with sharklets into LGA in the past. I don't know which gate it used because I saw it on the taxiway.

cj000

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:04 am

flyby519 wrote:
ASA wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:

Was on B6 1137 to BOS-DTW yesterday morning, and I was shocked that the wifi worked gate to gate. Flying at least a few times a month on this route, it was a nice surprise. Usually log on when boarding to avoid the rush to authenticate at 10k, but it seemed to be on fully.

Not sure if it's an automatic thing, or a switch as part of a checklist, but was on N355JB (E190)

flyby519

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:43 pm

cj000 wrote:
flyby519 wrote:
ASA wrote:

Was on B6 1137 to BOS-DTW yesterday morning, and I was shocked that the wifi worked gate to gate. Flying at least a few times a month on this route, it was a nice surprise. Usually log on when boarding to avoid the rush to authenticate at 10k, but it seemed to be on fully.

Not sure if it's an automatic thing, or a switch as part of a checklist, but was on N355JB (E190)

All 190s should be doing this as of Nov 1, the 320 fleet should be set by Dec 1.

jumbojet

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:19 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

problem is, B6 isn't a real airline.

Delta is well established in this market and offers more perks than jetblue.

I guess Jet Blue can hope to cherry pick off of the backs of AA and DL's silvers and non medallions.

commavia

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:24 pm

Jetblue "isn't a real airline." Bwahahaha ... oh jeez ... where's the eye roll emoticon when you need it. Seriously? JetBlue is now the fifth largest airline in the U.S. with annual revenue approaching $6B. That's about as "real" as it gets.

NYCRuss

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:01 pm

commavia wrote:
Jetblue "isn't a real airline." Bwahahaha ... oh jeez ... where's the eye roll emoticon when you need it. Seriously? JetBlue is now the fifth largest airline in the U.S. with annual revenue approaching $6B. That's about as "real" as it gets.

Exactly. And I'm not sure what superior perks Delta is offering since they trashed their frequent flier program.

VS4ever

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:33 pm

commavia wrote:

Agreed, if you want to enjoy the alleged benefits of AA/DL, go right ahead if you fly that much, but there are plenty of people that don't need them, but want a comfortable quick trip down to LGA from BOS with a bit of extra legroom and the ability to work gate to gate (frankly given my trip to ORD last week on UA, there's a bunch of folks who do that regardless, so why not tap into that). There's plenty of traffic to go around and let's face it, this is about increasing options to B6's already significant BOS flyer base. It's not 15x daily, but it's a start and we will see where it goes from there. Once the traffic numbers start appearing in 3 months time, we'll know whether it was worth it or not to even start.

If the definition of a "Real" airline is a FFP that only 1m milers can really do anything with. Give me an "unreal" one any day. Because i'll happily sit in Y with my 33-34" seat pitch flying down to MCO, AUS or anywhere else my company and B6's route network will allow me to fly.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

airzona11

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:52 pm

This is a great move and as others have mentioned, easy for them to do and little added cost. For a BOS or NYC based flyer, B6 is a great option.

Delta did this with their Shuttle on the west coast to gain a foothold in LA/SF/SEA.

The legacies are only great if you are 100K+/someone else is footing the bill/you have travel that gets you up front in Long Haul J class. Silvers are still very valuable to DL/AA so nothing to sneeze at losing.

usflyer123

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:12 pm

i have also noticed that they are cheaper than the other airlines on that line. great job B6!
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

N717TW

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:57 am

jetbluefan1 wrote:
As previously announced, B6 today introduced up to 6x daily flights between BOS and LGA. However, it was not previously disclosed that B6 intends to offer some additional amenities on this flight, beyond its normal perks, to compete with DL's and AA's shuttle service:

1. Free coffee from participating restaurants at BOS and LGA
2. Free simit (a Turkish bagel) provided in the boarding area
3. Free beer and wine on board

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jetblue-s ... 00901.html

I'd be interested to see if B6 rolls out such perks on some of its other competitive business markets, like BOS-DCA and maybe even BOS-ATL...

All of those amenities are somewhat consistent with the what the DL Shuttle offers except the free-wifi. The AA (née US and EA) shuttle never offered as nice amenities as DL/PA/NY. DL recently downgraded the catering, dropping the bagels, so maybe this will encourage them to bring them back.

N717TW

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:08 am

jumbojet wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

problem is, B6 isn't a real airline.

Delta is well established in this market and offers more perks than jetblue.

I guess Jet Blue can hope to cherry pick off of the backs of AA and DL's silvers and non medallions.

Really? I'm a pretty darn high Medallion who also has AA Gold Status who flies BOS-NYC at least 50 times a year. I'll guarantee you I'll be on a B6 flight between now and Christmas. Frankly, B6 has superior short-haul service to DL (I would say sans the Shuttle, but from the sound of it, B6 has that covered too. I can't tell you how many times DL flight attendants announce that BOS-NYC is too short to warrant any inflight service while B6 (plus AA and UA to EWR) are out there hustling to get everyone a drink and a snack. I suppose if I was pushing to get over the status line or if I really need X number of miles to get the entire family tickets to London, I would see blindly booking DL, but otherwise B6 makes sense.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:37 am

It's good JetBlue is going all out to try to make this work. They have the bos origin passengers , they can steal them away from delta and aa.

ual777newpaint

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:48 am

I'm flying B6 BOS-LGA-BOS this weekend; I'll be sure to report here afterwards! I wasn't expecting anything special compared to the normal "jetBlue experience," so this is an added plus!
318 319 320 320N 321 333 343 346 359 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 744 752 753 762 763 76E 764 77A 77E 773 789 CRJ CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 F50 F70 MD88 MD90 DL UA WN B6 TK US U2 KL EQ MU SK GK VY AF AM KE XL KN CZ VS 3U CM CA 7P SC

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos