Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

superjeff

Re: Donald Trump 757 - Use, Store, Sell?

Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:22 pm

bkflyguy wrote:
superjeff wrote:
Somehow, I find it interesting that we've got all these amateur lawyers here. As an actual lawyer, I would think that Trump Force One (or whatever he calls it) will remain owned and operated by the Trump Organization. Trump will not be associated with the operation of the business, and will have to decide how he intends to avoid the appearance of conflict of interest. That MAY involve a blind trust or other vehicle, but nothing is guaranteed. I'm sure he has obtained sufficient and accurate advice.

It is impossible to set up a blind trust for the Trump Organization. Blind trusts put all the assets into a trust with a manager overseeing investments - the manager has complete autonomy so that the beneficiary has no idea what the holdings are at any given point in time.

Actually, his various enterprises are owned by separate entities. Most of his real estate dealings involve financing, and lenders require bankruptcy remote single purpose entities. These assets most certainly can be placed in a trust.

GSPFlyer

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:01 am

PZ707 wrote:
What is the callsign from now until Presidential Inauguration in January?

Pretty sure it's just the plane's standard callsign until he is inaugurated.

If he were to fly on the 757 during his presidency (doubtful, but possible), it would use the callsign "Executive One."

Wayne423

Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:28 am

When will the government get the 747-8i for air force one ?

ikramerica

Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:05 am

Wayne423 wrote:

Obama should have ordered it. Usually outgoing presidents do this kind of thing toward the end of their term so that they won't be seen as buying something for themselves, but for the country. Not sure why he didn't act last year.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

VirginFlyer

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:48 am

ikramerica wrote:
Wayne423 wrote:

Obama should have ordered it. Usually outgoing presidents do this kind of thing toward the end of their term so that they won't be seen as buying something for themselves, but for the country. Not sure why he didn't act last year.

The term isn't over yet, so it's still possible. Can you imagine the howls of protest during the election campaign if he had have ordered it then? I can picture the "crooked Obama buying a fancy jet for crooked Hillary" tagline now. That said I imagine the anti-Trump brigade would doubtless jump on it of Obama did it now. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

vfw614

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:14 pm

For the sake of the 46th president, let Obama order it. If The Donald gets involved, Air Force One will have the most garish interior imaginable, based on the interiors of his private living quarters that resemble Sun King's Louis XIV Versailles castle from the 17th century.

CO953

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:09 am

I'm betting that Trump keeps his 752 horse. It has to have some sentimental value for him, by this point, after all the airport rallies and being elected, and it's a nice low-time example of the type and he knows it. My money says that, given Trump's financial resources, he keeps it maintained as is, letting his kids use it for business purposes, and then uses it again for a bit after he leaves office. At the outside, should he be re-elected and still in good health, it wouldn't surprise me to see him use "Trump Force One" for a short time as his private jet beginning in 2025 on sort of a "farewell tour" basis (N757AF would at that point be 33 years old, going on 34 - not outrageously old, considering that AF1 is now about 26 y.o. and will be in use for a few years more), and then become part of a museum.

Just my two cents....

DCAfan

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:38 am

Sooner787 wrote:
I'm wondering with Trump scheduled to visit the current resident of the White House
tomorrow, would Trumps' 757 land at DCA or Andrews AFB ?

It landed at DCA rather than Andrews. The military version of the 757 is the C-32 and it is often used as Air Force Two and occasionally as Air Force One. The last president that used DCA extensively for official travel was FDR.

RobertoMelende

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:48 am

As Donald Trump's campaign for the White House kicks into high gear, the bombastic billionaire will be jetting across America on his private Boeing 757-200 airliner. Unlike most presidential candidates, The Donald actually owns his campaign plane.

ltbewr

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:01 pm

As Donald Trump has been elected President and once or even closer as reaches being sworn into office, he will no longer be able to use his 757 or for that matter other aircraft in his corporation's ownership. I expect that in the next few weeks for his safety, he would be required to only fly on government or military owned and operated aircraft, perhaps the 'AF2' 757 used by travel by the current VP.
Likely Trump's planes would continue to be part of the corporate fleet but may have to be modified to add certain security functions to assure safety of family members subject to Secret Service protection. I also wouldn't be surprised to see all of Trump's planes to be painted to remove any references to his name, changes as to the registration and other id info, and their base airport moved from LGA to JFK for reasonable security needs.

xdlx

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:17 am

My concern is neither the VC25 (present) or the 800 (future) will land in KLGA, "Mogul" prefered airport of arrival into Manhatan. He has indicated a frequent shuttle between his "private residence" and the WH. Will they use a C32 for this? OR Perhaps a C37B? A V22 could do it under one hour!

YYZYYT

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:28 am

My $.02 (Canadian): after 4 (or 8) years in AF1 he may just decide that the 757 isn't quite big enough...

DiamondFlyer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:26 am

ltbewr wrote:
As Donald Trump has been elected President and once or even closer as reaches being sworn into office, he will no longer be able to use his 757 or for that matter other aircraft in his corporation's ownership. I expect that in the next few weeks for his safety, he would be required to only fly on government or military owned and operated aircraft, perhaps the 'AF2' 757 used by travel by the current VP.
Likely Trump's planes would continue to be part of the corporate fleet but may have to be modified to add certain security functions to assure safety of family members subject to Secret Service protection. I also wouldn't be surprised to see all of Trump's planes to be painted to remove any references to his name, changes as to the registration and other id info, and their base airport moved from LGA to JFK for reasonable security needs.

There is no law preventing a president from flying on a non-military aircraft.
From my cold, dead hands

FlyDeltaJets

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:04 am

PZ707 wrote:

It wouldn't change from whatever it currently is.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

Redsand187

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:25 am

I wonder how much the plane is used for his family members and business associates without him. It would seem to me the citation is likely used by family and business associates and the 757 is his personal extravagant shuttle.

It might make more sense to sell the thing, and jump the line for a 777X VIP to be delivered when he is leaving office.

His DC to NYC commutes will be interesting. I wonder if the secret service would consider landing a helicopter on Trump Tower. That would seem to be the most efficient travel. Whitehouse lawn to Trump Tower roof, just a quick elevator ride to his residence.

xdlx

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:34 pm

There is no landing pad at TT

JFKCMILAXFLL

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Redsand187 wrote:
I wonder how much the plane is used for his family members and business associates without him. It would seem to me the citation is likely used by family and business associates and the 757 is his personal extravagant shuttle.

It might make more sense to sell the thing, and jump the line for a 777X VIP to be delivered when he is leaving office.

His DC to NYC commutes will be interesting. I wonder if the secret service would consider landing a helicopter on Trump Tower. That would seem to be the most efficient travel. Whitehouse lawn to Trump Tower roof, just a quick elevator ride to his residence.

I wonder if Marine One has the range to fly from the WH to Trump Tower. Seems to me that Marine One is generally used as a shuttle to Andrews, also I think to Camp David, maybe some other nearby locations where a motorcade isn't feasible. Mr. Trump may have to use the VC-25 or other plane to JFK (or EWR?), then Marine One to Trump Tower.

zeke

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:27 pm

I guess he will just put his private email server on it.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Revelation

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Beardown91737 wrote:
Nixon flew on a UA DC-10 IAD-LAX in 1973. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_One

Also in this article, Vice President Gore traveled on US Airways Shuttle in 2000, and Vice President Rockefeller used his personal Gulfstream as Air Force 2 because he preferred the Gulfstream to the assigned DC-9.

Wikipedia says that Rockefeller did it to try to save the government some money, but:

Rockefeller was slow to make use of Air Force Two, the official vice-presidential aircraft. Instead, he continued to use his own Gulfstream (which had the callsign Executive Two as a private aircraft). Rockefeller felt he was saving taxpayer money this way. Finally the Secret Service convinced him it was costing more to fly agents around separately for his protective detail than it would for him to travel on Air Force Two with them.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Ro ... .931977.29

CO953 wrote:
I'm betting that Trump keeps his 752 horse. It has to have some sentimental value for him

Yeah, may be he grabbed a few p*****s on it over the years...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

aaway

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:34 pm

ozark1 wrote:
Donate it to some airport to use in crash/fire/rescue training.

Your option is the most similar to my preferred "S" option (the one I feel the author left out)....scrap (the pos).
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

LN-MOW

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:53 pm

andygarrett wrote:
Question about the pilots. Does the Secret Service require he use their 757 pilots now that he is P.E. or can he still use is own?

Secret Service have no pilots.
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

litz

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:36 pm

GSPFlyer wrote:
PZ707 wrote:

Pretty sure it's just the plane's standard callsign until he is inaugurated.

If he were to fly on the 757 during his presidency (doubtful, but possible), it would use the callsign "Executive One."

You gotta figure he's gonna try and needle the Secret Service to allow it at least once, just so he can say his plane was Executive One ...

Whether or not they'd acquiesce ... totally different story.

Then, down the road, when his Presidential Library is built (and there will be one), they can park the plane there.

antoniemey

Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:28 pm

Boeing778X wrote:
What is the status of the 748i AF1? Wasn't this administration going to be the first to use them?

UAEflyer wrote:
Would he fly the new AF1 747-8i ?? or he need to be reelected to do so (2nd term)

So far all that's been done is the Department of Defense has commissioned BOEING to look at what would be required to convert a 747-8 into the next iteration of Air Force One aircraft.

No aircraft has been ordered, no conversion work has begun. Even once the aircraft are ordered and built, the custom conversions will take YEARS.

Trump could, conceivably, approve the order on day one of his presidency and never get to fly on the aircraft.

vfw614 wrote:
For the sake of the 46th president, let Obama order it. If The Donald gets involved, Air Force One will have the most garish interior imaginable, based on the interiors of his private living quarters that resemble Sun King's Louis XIV Versailles castle from the 17th century.

Pretty sure the Air Force and maybe Department of State will handle all of that, not the President.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.