Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PanzerPowner
Topic Author

Can an Obese or person over a certain weight range put an Emergency Slide at a certain risk?

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:58 pm

Can say someone over weight or taking up two seats. Yes bringing up this but say if an Emergency happened could they weigh down the slide, wing, raft or anything else to an extent where it would be unsafe or even blocking the path if they stumble?
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

leyland1989

Re: Can an Obese or person over a certain weight range put an Emergency Slide at a certain risk?

Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Well... as long as they can get through the cabin door?
Airbus:319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,388
Boeing: 717,734,738,739,753,74R,742,743,744,74E,748,763,772,773,77E,77L,77W,788,789
Misc:AT5,CN1,CNJ,CR2,CR7,CR9,DH6,DH8,ER4,ERD,E70,E75,E90,M11,S20

knope2001

Re: Can an Obese or person over a certain weight range put an Emergency Slide at a certain risk?

Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:28 pm

PanzerPowner wrote:
Can say someone over weight or taking up two seats. Yes bringing up this but say if an Emergency happened could they weigh down the slide, wing, raft or anything else to an extent where it would be unsafe or even blocking the path if they stumble?

Anything which doesn't have a one-person-at-a-time restriction is built for a lot of weight. Common sense suggests a highly-obese person would not cause a issue. In the (not-so-realistic) evacuation tests people hit the slides quickly and they don't collapse. Regarding rafts of course you'll get more 70-pound children than 350-pound football players on a raft, but it's not like the weight of any individual will sink it.

As for stumbling it seems unlikely they are any worse a stumbling hazard than are children, people with casts or crutches, service animals, wheelchair passengers, low-vision people, etc.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:37 pm

FWIW, my chair is starting to get a little wobbly of late......might be time to switch from flying to taking the train. :-0
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:15 am

In a word--no. The slide rafts are equipped to accept the weight of about 100 people. They are quite sturdy.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

IPFreely

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:39 am

I agree with the other posters that the slides are not a worry. But most overwing emergency exit doors are only 19-20" wide. There are some blimps who could possibly get wedged in there, blocking the exit for everyone behind them. Maybe certain passengers -- say ones who need a seat belt extender -- should only be seated close to forward or aft doors and not emergency exits. Or if they must use an overwing exit the crew should make sure they go out last so nobody can get trapped behind them.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:54 am

IPFreely wrote:
I agree with the other posters that the slides are not a worry. But most overwing emergency exit doors are only 19-20" wide. There are some blimps who could possibly get wedged in there, blocking the exit for everyone behind them. Maybe certain passengers -- say ones who need a seat belt extender -- should only be seated close to forward or aft doors and not emergency exits. Or if they must use an overwing exit the crew should make sure they go out last so nobody can get trapped behind them.

Not that it matters to anyone but me, but the next time I book, I'm booking my trip away from Alaska. Your "blimp" comment was completely gratuitous and unnecessary, and as an employee of Alaska you should represent better. It'll be under $1000 so no skin off AS' nose, but I'll feel better.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

PEK777

Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:13 am

I have had the same concern as well, on a USA domestic flight I actually had someone relocated from the overwing exit when I was on the aisle of that row. Despite some argument, my bulletproof testimony of "it is math" won the day and could have saved countless lives in the even of an emergency. People should be capable of doing their job, even if that is opening and assisting with the overwing exit. You wouldn't hire a clown to fix a leak in the John.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:17 am

PEK777 wrote:
I have had the same concern as well, on a USA domestic flight I actually had someone relocated from the overwing exit when I was on the aisle of that row. Despite some argument, my bulletproof testimony of "it is math" won the day and could have saved countless lives in the even of an emergency. People should be capable of doing their job, even if that is opening and assisting with the overwing exit. You wouldn't hire a clown to fix a leak in the John.

It makes complete sense to have physical restrictions on who is seated in an emergency exit row. Probably a bit awkward for one passenger to have another passenger moved because they were too big, but safety is paramount and is why there is an emergency exit row to begin with.
-Dave

knope2001

Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:35 am

Exit row passengers must be able to understand and execute certain commands and duties, and under that requirement some airlines don't allow especially obese people in exit. The need of an extender is the line in the sand at some airlines.

In addition to common sense, a little web work is useful here. I have found no reports online in any evacuation of a fat person getting stuck in an exit. What you will find is several threads similar to this one...some of which on a.net...where someone suggests that a fat person will get stuck and kill everyone behind them. Pretty much nothing useful comes from those threads, and I doubt this will be much different.

eielef

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:50 pm

What about a pregnant woman? Can she be seated on an emergency exit? Is it a risk for others? Evacuation on slides coulnd't harm her baby? Is there a special way she should protect her in case of impact? That's something i've never seen in safety cards...
She certainly can flight, mostly up to her 7th month. And if someone should be evacuated first, i believe it should be a pregnant woman.

Stitch

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 pm

knope2001 wrote:
Exit row passengers must be able to understand and execute certain commands and duties, and under that requirement some airlines don't allow especially obese people in exit. The need of an extender is the line in the sand at some airlines.

Including, perhaps ironically for this thread, Alaska Airlines - they do not allow seatbelt extenders in the Exit Rows.

smi0006

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:58 am

eielef wrote:
What about a pregnant woman? Can she be seated on an emergency exit? Is it a risk for others? Evacuation on slides coulnd't harm her baby? Is there a special way she should protect her in case of impact? That's something i've never seen in safety cards...
She certainly can flight, mostly up to her 7th month. And if someone should be evacuated first, i believe it should be a pregnant woman.

At an airlines I used to fly for there was no restrictions on preganant woman - so long as she did not require an extension seat belt. Many FA fly rather late into preganancy.

There was also a theory due to their heightened hormonal state and desire to protect their baby they maybe an assest in an evacuation as they would not allow other passengers to hesitate and would act quickly.

lightsaber

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:15 am

I 2nd the concern I'm not worried about the slide.

But dang, the old minimum 18" width is out of date in todays highly obese society.

eielef wrote:

There is a weight lifting requirement. IIRC, the door is 35 pounds or about 16kg. Otherwise, most pregnant women aren't wide enough for concern.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

benbeny

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:26 am

But by law all airliners are required to be able to evacuate under 90 seconds with half of the exit blocked. So why does a stuck obese person in a single overwing exit becomes a problem? It's no worse (maybe even better) than people retrieving their luggage from overhead bins during emergency.