Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DLASFlyer
Topic Author

AA Adds PHX-JAC

Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:28 am

American Airlines will add new summer seasonal service from Phoenix to Jackson Hole on June 2, 2017. PHX becomes JAC's 13 nonstop destination and the 4th for American Airlines after DFW, ORD (winter only) and LAX. Most flights into Jackson are mainline, including the new flight from Phoenix on an A319.

AA583 PHX 1210p - JAC 330p A319
AA583 JAC 450p - PHX 610p A319

http://www.jacksonholeairport.com/perch ... cement.pdf

JAC is the only airport located inside Grand Teton/Yellowstone National Parks, which saw double digit growth again this year. I would not be at all surprised to see AA add CLT-JAC in the future. I am also hoping for AS to add SEA-JAC. It's one of only two domestic routes Delta serves ex-SEA that AS does not.

wedgetail737

Re: AA Adds PHX-JAC

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:13 am

I would give it time. When Horizon Air starts taking on their 30 Embraer E-175's through 2017 and beyond, I could see AS in the SEA/PDX or even LAX/SAN to Jackson Hole. But I don't think it will start out as a 737.

Rdh3e

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:19 am

This was is the OAG thread a few weeks ago. Should be interesting.

wedgetail737 wrote:
I would give it time. When Horizon Air starts taking on their 30 Embraer E-175's through 2017 and beyond, I could see AS in the SEA/PDX or even LAX/SAN to Jackson Hole. But I don't think it will start out as a 737.

There are no E175 operations at JAC. The runway configuration and altitude are prohibitive.

wedgetail737

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:30 am

Really? Not even for the enhanced wing? Well, if that's the case, then it will have either be a 737-700, 737-800 or Q400.

DLASFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:35 am

Rdh3e wrote:
This was is the OAG thread a few weeks ago. Should be interesting.

wedgetail737 wrote:

There are no E175 operations at JAC. The runway configuration and altitude are prohibitive.

What is the limiting factor with the E175 at JAC? Isn't there a hot and high upgrade?

I live in JAC and I've only ever seen the CR7, 752, 319 and occasionally a 737-700 operated commercially here. If only AS could get its hands on some 319s in the near future. Oh wait...

Rdh3e

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:46 am

DLASFlyer wrote:

What is the limiting factor with the E175 at JAC? Isn't there a hot and high upgrade?

My understanding is that helps, but airports with runway constraints (like JAC) on top of that are still quite difficult.

wedgetail737

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:57 am

When I was there back in the late 1980's, I remember seeing a couple of American 757-200's, DL flew a 737-300 and 737-200...and UA flew in a BAe-146-200.

b6sea

Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:08 am

I think the biggest problem with SEA-JAC is that Jackson Hole isn't the biggest skiing destination from Seattle (or Portland for that matter.) While people do go to Jackson Hole, many more people head to Sun Valley, ID or Big Sky, MT or Mt Bachelor, near Bend, OR, or even Tahoe (not an exhaustive list, there are others as well). Whistler, Big White, and Sun Peaks in BC are also big destinations. Sun Valley is probably the biggest location for wealthy Seattle folks looking for second homes in the mountains, although there is a strong contingent of folks in the other places I mentioned as well, but Sun Valley is just packed with Seattle people anytime you go there. Even though Jackson Hole is an amazing mountain, it's hard to convince people to go all the way to Wyoming for skiing when there are a lot of great resorts much closer (yes, I know Montana isn't that much closer, but people think it is). Not saying they won't, just that Jackson Hole isn't the first resort that comes to mind when people are thinking of a ski trip. My guess is that if AS thought they could make it work they'd have done it by now.

I have kind of thought to myself that DL may have overestimated people in the Northwest's willingness to travel that far for skiing when they added JAC, but I haven't seen their numbers so it's possible the route is doing spectacular. I suspect it may not be though.

I do love Jackson Hole though, so if AS were to add to the route, I wouldn't complain.