Miami
Topic Author

Rumor: Aer Lingus to Miami

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Not yet announced but Aer Lingus is set to announce MIA very soon.

More info to come.

Congrats to Aer Lingus and MIA. It's finally happening.

-Miami
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

787fan8

Re: Aer Lingus to Miami

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:12 pm

This route was expected by many. How many European airlines does MIA have now?
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

wenders825

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:14 pm

Walsh confirmed in a USA Today interview that a new EI destination is about to be announced and another one might be coming too

my bet would be DFW on the other. seems clear that MIA is coming

MAH4546

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:15 pm

787fan8 wrote:

Aer Lingus will be the 24th scheduled European carrier/25th European carrier (LOT flies to Miami, but as a scheduled charter).
a.

n272wa

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:16 pm

EI141
Dublin 15:00
Miami 19:15
3 x weekly A330 year round eff 01SEP17

SCQ83

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Is Miami IAG's 2nd destination in the US by number of seats?

LAX772LR

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:17 pm

Flightly off topic: but isn't DUB set to have a runway expansion soon (or did I imagine that)?

If so, wonder what kind of limitations that could place on EI's (rapid!) expansion?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

wenders825

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 pm

really curious if they'll actually begin codesharing with AA now

777klm

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:23 pm

787fan8 wrote:

KL - AMS
OR - AMS
TB - BRU
AF - CDG
SE - CDG
EW (XG) - CGN
SK - CPH, OSL
AB - DUS, TXL
AZ - FCO
AY - HEL
TK - IST
WW - KEF
BA - LHR
VS - LHR
TP - LIS
IB - MAD
MT - MAN
IG - MXP
SU - SVO
OS - VIE
LO - WAW
LX - ZRH

Add EI to DUB and thats 23 European carriers to 21 European destinations (22 if you include AA to BCN).
Last edited by 777klm on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

flyby519

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:24 pm

wenders825 wrote:

Guaranteed. Probably join the TATL JV as well.

If they chose FLL instead of MIA then maybe they'd be focusing on the B6 partnership, but I'd bet that ends soon.

superjeff

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:27 pm

While talking about EI, the TATL JV, etc., any word on when EI joins oneworld?

vhtje

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:33 pm

wenders825 wrote:

Wouldn't EI have to unwind their codeshare relationship with US in order for that to occur?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Callbell

Re: Rumor: Aer Lingus to Miami

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:40 pm

Any unwinding of codeshares would have to be by United. EI can't do it as part of the conditions laid down when IAG was buying them.

ahj2000

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Although this may very well be the oldest rumour on the site, I'm glad to see it has potential now wiht the Today in the Sky article.
I still doubt DFW...especially as there is no codeshare yet.
Maybe it is time for an upgrade in service to MAD with IB. weird how there seems to be only 13 flights a week split between EI and I2 between IAG's secondary hubs (not even real IB service...)
-Andrés Juánez

commavia

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:48 pm

flyby519 wrote:
Guaranteed. Probably join the TATL JV as well.

I agree that it is a virtual certainty that Aer Lingus will eventually join oneworld and the oneworld transatlantic JV, and therefore start codesharing with AA.

Callbell wrote:
Any unwinding of codeshares would have to be by United. EI can't do it as part of the conditions laid down when IAG was buying them.

Source, please?

I don't believe that regulators ever prohibited Aer Lingus from discontinuing codeshares if they so chose. I do seem to remember there being some restrictions on how Aer Lingus priced interline connections with other airlines, but that is relatively common provision of many ATI/JV approvals and is very different from saying that "can't" unwind codeshares with United, JetBlue or any other existing partner airline.

fcogafa

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:51 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Flightly off topic: but isn't DUB set to have a runway expansion soon (or did I imagine that)?

If so, wonder what kind of limitations that could place on EI's (rapid!) expansion?

They are building a new runway so it shouldnt affect current ops

wenders825

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:55 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Although this may very well be the oldest rumour on the site, I'm glad to see it has potential now wiht the Today in the Sky article.
Maybe it is time for an upgrade in service to MAD with IB. weird how there seems to be only 13 flights a week split between EI and I2 between IAG's secondary hubs (not even real IB service...)

DFW was in the rumor mill for this past summer (along with MIA) but I'm guessing didn't happen because of the codeshare issues. I would have to imagine they've worked that out, I would be amazed if UA/B6/EI wanted to continue those partnerships any longer, what do they have to gain at this point when EI is owned by a competitor?

I'm sort of expecting a big announcement of EI joining the JV and launching MIA and DFW. maybe an AA DUB service or two would go year round as well? would have to imagine oneworld membership would be on the way too.

dreaming big, I'm still sort of surprised we haven't seen Iberia at DFW. but their growth doesn't seem focused as much on the US, considering they launched NRT and PVG recently

MAH4546

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 pm

777klm wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

KL - AMS
OR - AMS
TB - BRU
AF - CDG
SE - CDG
EW (XG) - CGN
SK - CPH, OSL
AB - DUS, TXL
AZ - FCO
AY - HEL
TK - IST
WW - KEF
BA - LHR
VS - LHR
TP - LIS
IB - MAD
MT - MAN
IG - MXP
SU - SVO
OS - VIE
LO - WAW
LX - ZRH

Add EI to DUB and thats 23 European carriers to 21 European destinations (22 if you include AA to BCN).

You left off Air Europa to Madrid and Lufthansa to Munich and Frankfurt.
a.

jfk777

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:09 pm

While its nice that Aer Lingus is connecting Ireland to another city in the USA which is an AA hub what about EI flying to oh Hong Kong or Japan ? EI needs to be a two ocean airline flying to Pacific Ocean destinations. At least Miami is the capitol of Latin America, EI could fly to the real thing, South America, Sao Paulo anyone ?

ahj2000

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:13 pm

wenders825 wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

DFW was in the rumor mill for this past summer (along with MIA) but I'm guessing didn't happen because of the codeshare issues. I would have to imagine they've worked that out, I would be amazed if UA/B6/EI wanted to continue those partnerships any longer, what do they have to gain at this point when EI is owned by a competitor?

I'm sort of expecting a big announcement of EI joining the JV and launching MIA and DFW. maybe an AA DUB service or two would go year round as well? would have to imagine oneworld membership would be on the way too.

dreaming big, I'm still sort of surprised we haven't seen Iberia at DFW. but their growth doesn't seem focused as much on the US, considering they launched NRT and PVG recently

AA already serves PHL year round. CLT, JFK, and ORD are seasonal. :P I wouldn;t be surprised to see JFK and maybe even CLT go year round (but not daily) with the eventual OW membership/JV. ORD maybe not as they already have 2x A330s on EI.
-Andrés Juánez

EIDL

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:16 pm

jfk777 wrote:
While its nice that Aer Lingus is connecting Ireland to another city in the USA which is an AA hub what about EI flying to oh Hong Kong or Japan ? EI needs to be a two ocean airline flying to Pacific Ocean destinations. At least Miami is the capitol of Latin America, EI could fly to the real thing, South America, Sao Paulo anyone ?

Domestic demand doesn't exist for major Asian traffic and there's not much connecting traffic coming from the Atlantic.

IAG would see South America served better over MAD.

wenders825

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:29 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
wenders825 wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

AA already serves PHL year round. CLT, JFK, and ORD are seasonal. :P I wouldn;t be surprised to see JFK and maybe even CLT go year round (but not daily) with the eventual OW membership/JV. ORD maybe not as they already have 2x A330s on EI.

JFK (because of the amount of capacity the market could probably handle) and CLT (because of the wide amount of connections, especially to FL) are the two I see going year round too. you're right, probably not daily. the amount of UK/Ireland traffic headed to Florida in winter is no joke, and I think having a CLT flight (with tons of FL destinations, and not just MIA/MCO) running through winter would help with that.

jfk777 wrote:

that's not what EI is for. IAG brought them in to help out with north american growth, just like Iberia is there for South American growth. BA kind of does everything else. HKG or NRT would be a bit of a stretch at the moment, I think, but maybe someday. those would be the two asian destinations I could see them considering if they ever do happen, I think the only reason IB didn't go for HKG was because CX was already launching it.

Miami
Topic Author

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Party in the city where the heat is on!

Starting September 1st. 3 weekly on an A330.

EI141 DUB1500 – 1915MIA 330 357
EI140 MIA2110 – 1035+1DUB 330 357
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

jfk777

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:22 pm

Miami wrote:

You would think EI would want to get to Miami for the 2017 summer season. Floridians take vacations to Europe too not only Europeans coming to South Beach and Orlando.

ClassicLover

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:28 pm

jfk777 wrote:
You would think EI would want to get to Miami for the 2017 summer season. Floridians take vacations to Europe too not only Europeans coming to South Beach and Orlando.

The same thing happened with the routes to Hartford and Newark - aircraft availability is the issue. New aircraft will be delivered before this service starts.

I posted on my blog about this new Miami service too.

http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/aer-lingus-new-route-miami/

Very exciting news!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

bx737

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:32 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Miami wrote:

EI have two A330s on order for 2017. One I believe is coming early in the year, the second is coming later on in the year. There are rumours that LAX is going daily, which would take just over half an aircraft. There are rumours of further frequency increases, so they may not have an aircraft available for MIA until the second half of the year. We will have to await the big announcement.

FlyingJhawk

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:39 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
777klm wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

KL - AMS
OR - AMS
TB - BRU
AF - CDG
SE - CDG
EW (XG) - CGN
SK - CPH, OSL
AB - DUS, TXL
AZ - FCO
AY - HEL
TK - IST
WW - KEF
BA - LHR
VS - LHR
TP - LIS
IB - MAD
MT - MAN
IG - MXP
SU - SVO
OS - VIE
LO - WAW
LX - ZRH

You left off Air Europa to Madrid and Lufthansa to Munich and Frankfurt.

Doesn't BA also serve MIA?

ClassicLover

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:41 pm

FlyingJhawk wrote:

They do indeed.

vhtje

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:43 pm

jfk777 wrote:
While its nice that Aer Lingus is connecting Ireland to another city in the USA which is an AA hub what about EI flying to oh Hong Kong or Japan ? EI needs to be a two ocean airline flying to Pacific Ocean destinations.

Why would EI do that when they can connect to partner airlines in LHR? (Meaning: this is surely IAG's viewpoint). How much traffic is there DUB to Asia?

On the other hand, perhaps you are on to something and maybe IAG and its 'fortress LHR' mentality is misreading the tea leaves. Anecdotally, I have a few Irish friends in Sydney. None of them are particularly loyal to EI, and they all hate transferring at LHR and avoid it at all costs. They nearly all choose EK or EY for a one-stop service from Australia to Ireland. Given that it is usually cheaper than BA/IE or the Asian alternatives (CX, SQ, etc), I cannot say I blame them. Could a direct DUB service from an Asian port sway them back to EI? Who knows.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

wenders825

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:45 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
FlyingJhawk wrote:

They do indeed.

with a 380 on one of the frequencies, no less!

EIDL

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:45 pm

ClassicLover wrote:

"These are the first direct flights between Ireland and Florida"

Other than MCO, that has been running for years.

ClassicLover

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:50 pm

EIDL wrote:
"These are the first direct flights between Ireland and Florida"

Other than MCO, that has been running for years.

... and years and years and years. I'll fix that. Thanks :)

MAH4546

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:58 pm

With 25 European airlines, MIA is only one short of JFK's 26.
a.

usairways85

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:41 pm

I'm not sure I see the need to dump a ton a capacity into DUB just yet. EI needs to be incorporated into the codeshares and JV and IAG needs to setup DUB more as a connecting hub. Otherwise it is just dumping capacity into a saturated, seasonal market. While I do not have insights into yields, there are plenty of $500 r/t ai US-DUB flights out there.

n272wa

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:44 am

usairways85 wrote:
I'm not sure I see the need to dump a ton a capacity into DUB just yet. EI needs to be incorporated into the codeshares and JV and IAG needs to setup DUB more as a connecting hub. Otherwise it is just dumping capacity into a saturated, seasonal market. While I do not have insights into yields, there are plenty of $500 r/t ai US-DUB flights out there.

I'm not sure why there is a need to wait, given that Dublin is the fastest growing airport in Europe.

Per ACI...

Passenger numbers at Dublin Airport increased by 13.4 per cent in the first half of the year, making it the leading performer among top tier European airports, which have more than 25 million passengers per year.

The growth at Dublin follows last year’s record-breaking performance when the airport welcomed 25 million passengers for the first time.

In the first six months of this year traffic at Dublin Airport grew faster than Barcelona’s El-Prat Airport (+12.7 per cent) Istanbul’s Sabiha Gokcen International Airport (+12 per cent), Copenhagen Airport (+10.9 per cent) and Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam (+9.9 per cent).

The average growth across European airports was 4.9 per cent in the first half of the year, with airports in the European Union reporting stronger average passenger growth of 6.2 per cent, according to ACI Europe

LAX772LR

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:33 am

jfk777 wrote:
EI needs to be a two ocean airline flying to Pacific Ocean destinations.

Not only does that make no sense, as no eastbound destination EI could conceivably serve would involve crossing (or even overflying) the Pacific... but what need would they have to fly to Asia?

jfk777 wrote:
At least Miami is the capitol of Latin America, EI could fly to the real thing, South America, Sao Paulo anyone ?

Again: why?

IAG already has IB for that, they don't need EI; and DUB doesn't have anywhere remotely near the demand to justify it otherwise.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

usairways85

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:24 am

n272wa wrote:
I'm not sure why there is a need to wait, given that Dublin is the fastest growing airport in Europe.

Per ACI...

Passenger numbers at Dublin Airport increased by 13.4 per cent in the first half of the year, making it the leading performer among top tier European airports, which have more than 25 million passengers per year.

The growth at Dublin follows last year’s record-breaking performance when the airport welcomed 25 million passengers for the first time.

In the first six months of this year traffic at Dublin Airport grew faster than Barcelona’s El-Prat Airport (+12.7 per cent) Istanbul’s Sabiha Gokcen International Airport (+12 per cent), Copenhagen Airport (+10.9 per cent) and Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam (+9.9 per cent).

The average growth across European airports was 4.9 per cent in the first half of the year, with airports in the European Union reporting stronger average passenger growth of 6.2 per cent, according to ACI Europe

I'm not questioning DUB's recent growth or it's potential for additional growth. The US3 continue to express that the Atlantic is weak outside of the 8-10 week summer peak. My point was in regards to EI not only adding MIA and maybe even DFW but AA potentially going year-round with additional routes like JFK and CLT. I question whether the US3 can pull solid profits on these type of year-round DUB flights when outside of 10 weeks a year there are plenty of $500-700 fares to be had. When EI becomes a full OW and JV member, I can buy it.

stratocruiser

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:16 am

LAX772LR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Not only does that make no sense, as no eastbound destination EI could conceivably serve would involve crossing (or even overflying) the Pacific... but what need would they have to fly to Asia?

I agree there is no logic in EI being a "two ocean airline" and I cannot as such see any need for it. I do however think that HKG would have been a viable Asian destination from DUB offering an abundance of connections to Australia, South East Asia and mainland China. From this viewpoint I am a little surprised that Cathay Pacific hasn't ever considered this route in the past, although this may be down to the relatively restricted runway length available in DUB. I suspect that much of the connections market from Ireland to Asia and Australia has however now been cornered by EK and EY and any attempt to introduce somewhere like HKG in the future would require the difficult job of trying to claw back some of this connecting traffic from these two airlines. So, on balance, I would be surprised if we see EI flying to any East Asian destinations and I think most of the long-haul route development will be to North America, which seems to fit nicely with IAGs vision for the airline.

Miami
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:01 pm

Can we remove 'rumor' from the thread title?

330west

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:04 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Is Miami IAG's 2nd destination in the US by number of seats?

Probably Boston but I'm sure it's close.
Always fly first class, otherwise your heirs will.

Miami
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:25 pm

Officially announced:

jfk777

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:34 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

jfk777 wrote:
At least Miami is the capitol of Latin America, EI could fly to the real thing, South America, Sao Paulo anyone ?

IAG already has IB for that, they don't need EI; and DUB doesn't have anywhere remotely near the demand to justify it otherwise.

By that logic all IAG flights to Soth America should be from Madrid on Iberia, so should BA stop LHR to EZE, GRU and MEX ? I think that would be a terrible idea. LH, AF and KLM have robust routes to all major Latin Cities as should BA. EI should have intercontinental routes to places south of the Equator and east of India.

jfk777

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:38 pm

stratocruiser wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

I agree there is no logic in EI being a "two ocean airline" and I cannot as such see any need for it. I do however think that HKG would have been a viable Asian destination from DUB offering an abundance of connections to Australia, South East Asia and mainland China. From this viewpoint I am a little surprised that Cathay Pacific hasn't ever considered this route in the past, although this may be down to the relatively restricted runway length available in DUB. I suspect that much of the connections market from Ireland to Asia and Australia has however now been cornered by EK and EY and any attempt to introduce somewhere like HKG in the future would require the difficult job of trying to claw back some of this connecting traffic from these two airlines. So, on balance, I would be surprised if we see EI flying to any East Asian destinations and I think most of the long-haul route development will be to North America, which seems to fit nicely with IAGs vision for the airline.

This was never about EI crossing the Pacific but there is always some bozo who says such things. This about EI flying to the Pacific Rim and as a reliever hub for LHR which is a major reason IAG merged with them. For Dublin to truly be a reliever for LHR it has to fly in all directions including way east. Dublin's functon should be what Munich is to FRA for Luftansa.

richcandy

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:48 pm

jfk777 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

jfk777 wrote:

By that logic all IAG flights to Soth America should be from Madrid on Iberia, so should BA stop LHR to EZE, GRU and MEX ? I think that would be a terrible idea. LH, AF and KLM have robust routes to all major Latin Cities as should BA. EI should have intercontinental routes to places south of the Equator and east of India.

Yes but are you really comparing like for like? The population of the UK is about 64M. The population of Spain is about 47M. The population of Ireland 4.5M (plus Northern Ireland) So Ireland in terms of population is very small .

Traditionally there are a lot of links between North America and Ireland. When I was a kid it felt like everyone had a aunt, uncle, cousin, brother or sister who lived in the USA or Canada. Where as maybe the links to South America and Asia are not as strong. Yes EI could sell connections but the point to point market looks very small.

jfk777

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:31 pm

Dublin's main mission since Willie Walsh acquires Aer Lingus is to relieve Heathrow, that is not only an Atlantic task but a multi directional one as well. IF a guy in Glasgow or Liverpool is going to LAX or JFK it seems to be fine if he connects in Dublin but why not if he goes to Singapore or Johannesburg ? IF IAG builds up enough feed then it can, who says Ireland ha to play second fiddle to LHR forever. IAG has enough 787 and more orders to come surely that EI could fly 787-8 on 14 hour flights to Asia. The Irish Diaspora is large in Australia too, there is no reason EI could feed Malaysia or Cathay at their hubs.

eireplane

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:08 pm

Well, they aren't wasting any time pushing the new flights... I've just got an email from Aer Lingus about Miami - "From September 2017, we’ll be flying there direct three times a week. Book today and fly from €299 each way."

wenders825

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:35 pm

EI also announced new summer routes to OPO and SPU as well as MIA

OA260

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:08 pm

wenders825 wrote:
EI also announced new summer routes to OPO and SPU as well as MIA

Indeed times / freq here :

777klm

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Miami wrote:
Officially announced:

The display to the right reads "A refreshed brand"...
Is anything coming up with regard to the EI brand/livery :hyper: keep the green, get rid of the cheat line i'd say
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

MAH4546

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:30 pm

With the increase in MCO-DUB, Aer Lingus is effectively flying one flight to Florida everyday, split between MCO and MIA.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos