Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YYZYYT
Topic Author

Porter Q400 - Near Mid-Air With a Drone?

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Reports are that a Porter Q400 had to make an evasive manoeuvre turn to avoid "an object" at 9,000 ft... 2 injured.

TSB suspects a drone:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/t ... -1.3850218

There have been talks about drones, but (if confirmed) will this be the first injury resulting from drones in the way of a commercial plane?

YYZYYT

PS - notice I didn't call it a "near miss"

Quantos

Re: Porter Q400 - Near Mid-Air With a Drone?

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:01 pm

At 9,000 ft? What type of drones can reach those altitudes?

Also, this is obviously a near hit as opposed to a near miss! :D
Quantos,

I maintain the Airbus A220 (formerly Bombardier C Series) Aircraft Status sheet: https://goo.gl/HZshto
Feel free to comment on the sheet with any improvement suggestions and data update requests! Thanks to Paolo92 for his advice!

fpetrutiu

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:31 pm

Quantos wrote:
At 9,000 ft? What type of drones can reach those altitudes?

Also, this is obviously a near hit as opposed to a near miss! :D

Mine... :) I've flow up to 18000 ft with ATC approval. I have a transponder on-board so I can be seen as well. It is gas-powered, fuel injected controlled over a satellite link and 4G LTE network (Gogo). It is for commercial applications.

However; all I am saying is that is is not impossible, but improbable at that altitude without someone investing some serious cash. Those who are investing that kind of money are probably on the legal end and would not fly into controlled airspace without ATC approval.

Looking at the location of the incident, this must of have been either a military or commercial drone. Either of which should be under ATC control. There is no way you would have had a consumer drone that far our over the lake at 9000ft.
Last edited by fpetrutiu on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Florin
Orlando, FL

yyztpa

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:39 pm

YYZYYT wrote:
Reports are that a Porter Q400 had to make an evasive manoeuvre turn to avoid "an object" at 9,000 ft.

This avoided object appears to have been a much more catastrophic event Porter....and Jazz....dodged.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/s ... -1.3830983,

FredrikHAD

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:45 pm

Wow, CBC even got the A/C model right in the pictures (C-GLQH, sister of C-GLQL which was the plane involed)!

I think what's important here is not whether it was actually a drone/UAV/... in the wrong place. This incident shows that it is not necessary for a drone to actually collide with an aircraft in order to cause injuries. This time, two FAs were injured: "The crew made abrupt nose down inputs for an evasive maneouver, one flight attendant lifted off her feet as result and struck her head on the cabin ceiling, the other flight attendant fell against a galley wall, struck her shoulder on the wall and strained her arm while trying to hold on.". Assuming they were less than "10 minutes to landing", all pax should have been strapped in, otherwise there may have been more injuries.

I'm not sure the correct response was to push the stick forward, but when facing an object coming right at you, potentially able to breach the windshield, this is a very reasonable instinctive reaction. Would the crew have been flying manually or is the general procedure to fly auto at this stage?

What's your opinion on mounting dashcams in airliners as suggested from time to time? I'm not sure they would be able to catch this kind of event very well, and it may be considered a bit intrusive for the pilots. It's always easy to look at a film in slow motion and judge by that, a luxury the pilots don't have when the object is closing in on them at 300 mph.

/Fredrik

litz

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:21 pm

As for dashcams, and being intrusive ... railroad crews fought, and lost, that battle ... forward facing cameras are now in almost all locomotives.

(of course, it doesn't hurt the railroad that the videos from said cameras are more than useful during grade crossing accident lawsuits, as they almost always show the driver avoiding the crossing signals, to try and beat the train)

IMHO, it's inevitable, that we're going to have cameras in cockpits. The question is just when.

SooLineRob

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:35 pm

litz wrote:
As for dashcams, and being intrusive ... railroad crews fought, and lost, that battle ... forward facing cameras are now in almost all locomotives.

(of course, it doesn't hurt the railroad that the videos from said cameras are more than useful during grade crossing accident lawsuits, as they almost always show the driver avoiding the crossing signals, to try and beat the train)

IMHO, it's inevitable, that we're going to have cameras in cockpits. The question is just when.

And most railroad locomotive cabs now have inward facing cameras as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos